What's new

Calgary Sanctuary, Canada

ShadowWolfSBI

Chief Spam Hunter Why Are You Making Me Do This
Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Calgary Sanctuary, Canada

Michael shook his head again. "I'm not sure... Might just be something about acoustics in the building. Every so often, it's almost like I'm just barely catching a whisper. Not enough to actually make out anything of it, which is why I'm thinking it might just be something about the building's acoustics causing my mind to do some auditory matrixing."

OP
SiphonTalvesh

SiphonTalvesh

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

To that Helen actually paused for a moment.

"Or you might be getting telepathic echos off one of the residents here. Our resident Mermaid is a very powerful telepath, even for her own people. Perhaps I should ..."

She was cut off as Will poked into the room.

"Magnus, we have a problem. Sarah just came from Sally's tank, she had some kind of telepathic vision from her people. Something seemed wrong, flashes of unusual emotion, and now she can't reconnect with the Bermuda pod. She thinks something may have happened to them."

Helen looked as if someone had run her over with a truck at the news.

"Dear god ... if that's true, then over half their remaining population would be gone. It all but wipes them out."

Will nodded glumly.

"With your permission ...."

"Go, take anyone you need for it. We'll manage, and good luck. I hope there's a better explanation for the link being severed."

ShadowWolfSBI

Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Michael was just about to respond to Magnus when Will delivered the message. Helen's reaction to it drew a visible wince from Michael. Once Will had departed, Michael shook his head. "Well, that's just lovely..." Only the most dense could miss the sarcasm.

After a moment, he continued. "Your theory on the telepathic echo seems unlikely. I've been in close proximity before to what I now have reason to believe were telepathic beings, without this happening. It's happened other times, though, when I was in locations with unusual acoustics, so..."

He shrugged. "Either way, it's likely something the Cabal did while they had me."

OP
SiphonTalvesh

SiphonTalvesh

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Helen nodded after a moment.

"It's possible. There's a number of things they may have done, tried to turn you into an abnormal of their own, something they'd heard of and it didn't work fully, or maybe it did and they under estimated you. Either way, speculation is pointless."

Henry broke the silence after a moment.

"You know Doc, I hate to go against what you just said but ... shouldn't we consider possibly what's going on in Bermuda might be linked to the Cabal and the information Batman here brought us?"

Helen blinked again, and then a small smile crept to her face.

"So it was you then wasn't it Mr. Umbral. Henry hasn't let that one go for some time now."

((Figured as good a place as any to have him slip with it.))

Meanwhile Will made his way to the truck, where Clara was already waiting. All that was needed was for Sarah to join them.

ShadowWolfSBI

Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Michael paused a moment, thinking. "You'll have to remind me when that would have been. I'm drawing a blank."

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

Soon Sarah makes it, panting a little as she got there. She really needed to get back into shape, all this time in the lab and hanging around Calgary was getting her out of the shape she was back in the lockdown. "Right, got everything, all set to go?"

OP
SiphonTalvesh

SiphonTalvesh

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Will nodded.

"Yeah, let's go. We'll drive to the airport and take the private jet. From there to Miami, and to the sub. And then from there, full speed to Bermuda, and hope we aren't too late."

Once they were all buckled in, he started them on their way.

((Will make a Bermuda thread in a bit for them))

Henry looked at him and then sighed.

"Oh, about a year or two ago, Estes Park, Colorado. Saw someone getting chased by a few Cabal soldiers, figured we'd try to lend a hand. Finally catch up only to find the soldiers all dead, and you being nowhere to be found. Seriously, the hell did you do, walk through the walls or something to pull that batman stunt? Kinda awesome though to be honest, but yeah ... I still haven't lived that one down."

Last edited:

ShadowWolfSBI

Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Michael chuckled. "Yeah, letting them think they're about to ambush me, then turning the tables on them is one of my usual tricks. As for the vanishing trick... Well, I'll just say I got fairly skilled at not being obvious about sticking around. Kind of made it harder on the Cabal if their derps had extra backup waiting."

Depending on how skilled the others in the room were at reading faces, they might pick up on the faintest hint of a smirk, one that suggested there was more to things than what he was saying... In fact, the hints were similar to the look of a stage magician being asked to reveal a trick.

OP
SiphonTalvesh

SiphonTalvesh

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Henry started to open his mouth to say something back, but Helen cut him off.

"Don't bother Henry, you'll just be wasting time. I think Mister Umbral here has said all he's going to regarding the subject."

Clearly, Helen HAD seen the look.

ShadowWolfSBI

Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Michael laughed again. "Well, I suppose I can give one more piece. I was experimented on by the Cabal, and I've used results from that mess to my advantage since."

He shrugged. "That's actually what most of the contents of that trunk I left in the foyer are... Books and notes on various world mythologies and folklore. It didn't take me long to figure out that at least some of those might have stemmed from what you call abnormals, so I've been doing admittedly slightly hap-hazard research on the matter since my escape, trying to see what they might have been trying to do to me."

Last edited:
OP
SiphonTalvesh

SiphonTalvesh

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Henry blinked.

"So you're saying the Cabal turned you in to Batman? Man, that was a mistake on their part."

Helen nodded slowly, it seeming to make sense to her.

"Later we can sit down and discuss anything you'd like to share with me about traits you've noticed, and together we can see if anything we have on file matches, or gets you in the right direction anyway. We'll also look over what you've come up with."

ShadowWolfSBI

Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Michael gave an amused snort at Henry's comment, but merely nodded at Helen's.

While waiting, he started idly running his hand along the edge of a table. Suddenly, he winced and jerked his hand back, looking at one of his fingers. "Well, guess you're about to see one of the alterations I've noticed first hand..."

His index finger on his right hand had gotten cut. Not horribly, little more damage than a paper cut. The blood that was seeping out of the cut, though... It was a decidedly darker shade than normal for human blood, almost more resembling the shade of dried blood found on a removed bandage. At first glance... Might it also be thicker, more viscous?

Last edited:
OP
SiphonTalvesh

SiphonTalvesh

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Henry visibly winced, taking a step back, seemingly not good around blood. Though it didn't seem it was disgust, but rather ... fear?

Helen meanwhile blinked several times.

"Interesting. I've only seen a handful of species with blood that dark in my life, and one of them we can definitely rule out. It's possible the Cabal may have inadvertently mixed in DNA of another abnormal species with your own, or, as I'm starting to think, created something of their own. Although ..."

She trailed off, something seeming to cross her mind, and whatever it was, she didn't seem to enjoy remembering it at all.

ShadowWolfSBI

Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Michael's eyebrow twitched slightly at the reactions. He turned his hand palm up and curled the cut finger over it, apparently to prevent any drips onto the floor. "Well, there are a few things I've been able to rule out... Oddly enough, the difference in viscosity and shading are apparently the only directly blood-related differences I've been able to find between whatever was done to me and baseline human."

OP
SiphonTalvesh

SiphonTalvesh

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Helen paused for a moment, thinking.

"Well that rules out all but two species then that I can think of immediately off the top of my head. Now I'm loathe to admit this but ... we have to consider possibly that this is a unique mutation the Cabal caused, something random. Or ... this could be something that was dormant inside of you, something we've not seen before, and that there's no record of. A new species as it were."

((Had to think on how to word this for a while lol.))

Last edited:

ShadowWolfSBI

Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Michael shrugged. "Well, one of the first files I stole from the Cabal was the report on what they were doing to me..."

He trailed off and adopted an almost-sheepish expression. "...Or well... What's left of it... I kind of caused a bit of damage to it before I knew it was even where I found it, so it's kind of incomplete. That's how I know about the... Er, well, my blood."

OP
SiphonTalvesh

SiphonTalvesh

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Henry, who seemed to have lost the scent on the blood or just composed himself chipped in.

"I might be able to reconstruct some of that. That's going to take some time though, probably be a few days at least."

ShadowWolfSBI

Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Michael shrugged. "Give me a moment."

He turned and ran back to the foyer and dug the remains of the report file, as well as a small fingertip bandage, out of his trunk. Returning with his finger bandaged and the fragment of the report.

Fragment being the key word. It was about the size of an index card, although it looked like it had been a full sheet at one point, perhaps one of several. The fragment also had a couple of holes, possibly burns.

OP
SiphonTalvesh

SiphonTalvesh

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Henry took one look at it and sighed.

"Man, what did you do, toss gasoline on it, light it on fire after shooting it a dozen times and then decide a few minutes later you wanted to keep it? Ah, never mind, I'll see what I can do with it."

ShadowWolfSBI

Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Michael snorted. "There was a lot of gunfire and equipment exploding at the time. They'd decided that whatever they did to me wasn't what they wanted, and were going to 'clean up the mess'. I was understandably rather uncooperative about the matter."