OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Enigma (Keylo)

HP = 52, PP = 53, EP = 99, Status = Fine

Enigmas path took her straight between the two groups, and as she approached, the hunters all adopting ready poses, and the vampires corpse-like face staring at her, but she ignored all of them without any trouble. Confusion dotted every face in the room, save for her own. "Mistress Enigma? I thought you'd be out for a while longer!" Lanai was naked, her belly slightly more distended 'neath her massive breasts than when Enigma had last seen her. A scar ran halfway down her chest, ending just below her left breast, that looked like it was fairly recently healed. In a human (or an elf, of course,) that cut would have gone through her heart, which rose up questions about demon physiology that Enigma probably didn't much care about in that moment.

Lanai looked confused more than anything else as Enigma cupped her face in her hand, and all eyes were still on her. A nervous cough, from the big man who was more or less directly behind her, give or take thirty feet or so. Shifting of feet, quiet but present. "Uhhh.... Are you alright? We've... Ahhh... Kind of got a situation brewing here...."

(Yes, leap for joy at the bright pink text! :D )

Keylo

Lurker
Reputation score

Silence...and then...a sigh of relief as the hand moved away from the pink-haired demon's face to the necromancer's own, as she found herself shaking her head and muttering a bit to herself, her eyes downcast and hidden from view...

"...My my, I've really let myself go recently. How unsightly. My apologies dear, I'm fine now."

...Only for the elf to spin about dramatically, long multi-colored hair swishing about, formerly empty eyes now filled with power and emotion once again. The same glowing, glyphed eyes that had threatened to turn the greatest offender into stone where he stood, now seemed to bore through each of the hunters that on the other side of the room...and with no attempt to conceal the power behind them, that would turn any fool that dared directly into them into a statue on the spot.

"Forgive me, I believe we were in the middle of...negotiations was it? Please, let us continue. It shan't do to let a silly little disturbance disrupt the flow of things, no? After all, there is much need to talk about...compensation...at this time."

As Enigma spoke, it was then that the extent of her power, this time unmitigated by servants she had created in advance...for from her overflew that mass of dark energy as they perhaps had felt before. Only this time...rather than taking on the refined form of a giant serpent...the massive shadow, the form that manifested itself behind her (and her pet respectively)...was...

Well...no words could describe it really, save that it was the true face of terror.

"Well then. Let us begin...'diplomacy'."

((Nightmarish Image: 16 points.))

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

HP = 52, PP = 53, EP = 80/99, Status = Nightmarish Image 16

Rolls
Enigma spends 3 + 16 = 19 EP on Nightmarish Image.
Resistance Checks: All fail, except for one. You'll never guess which one though.
Resistance: Enigma wins.

As the shadow formed behind her, covering Lanai in its blackness, everyone else in the room recoiled from her, each in their own way. The massive man who had nearly slain her pet stiffened, and his face became expressionless. The elf scowled and recoiled a step, but caught himself in advance. Lanai, her eyes wide, stepped away from her and out of the shadow, even though its power hadn't been directed at her. The blond girl flinched, the motion barely perceptible, but otherwise she remained still, no overt sign of fear on her face or contained within her posture. The vampire took a sliding step away from Enigma, carrying the girl with her, and the limp girl in her arms went with her, having to be dragged.

"What diplomacy, necromancer? There is no diplomacy with one of her ilk, and you have no stake in this anyway. Take your demon and leave the walking corpse to resume rotting in its grave. I assure that whatever she promised you will not be delivered upon, unless it is something that she would be well rid of." The blond girl spoke, at first hesitantly but rapidly gaining confidence. The vampire laughed, the sound rich despite her harsh crooning voice, and then quickly replied; "Yes... Because you know so well the worth of my word, hunter. Enigma... Remember our deal. I will stand by it, and the reward for you will be richer than you could possibly imagine if you bring me the girl, alive. The other two I could care less for, at this point."

All three took a sudden step forward, but were immediately halted as the vampire hissed, and pressed her knife against the belly of the girl in her arms. "Enigma! Take them, now!" She spat, and suddenly, Enigma felt a compulsion to do just that. As much as it was in line with her own desire for recompense, it was clearly not a construct of her own will, no matter how well disguised it might have been as something that she herself desired. With an effort of will, she banished the desire to attack, but all three hunters had already tensed in preparation, sweat beading upon their brows as they tried to resist the fear her unrestrained power brought upon them. Lanai crossed her arms over her breasts, and waited for Enigma to decide upon a course of action.

Keylo

Lurker
Reputation score

And for a moment it almost looked as if Enigma would just lunge forth, the shadow behind her seem to shimmer and almost lash out...indiscriminately towards all other present parties in the room; the image becoming that of an horrific and shapeless amalgamation of teeth, mouths, tongues, and other various pointy appendages used to tear, devour, and rip apart flesh. But fortunately, "they" or..."it" seemed to be restrained just before actually tearing into anything... At which point a loud audible sigh would echo through the room, as a certain elf cast an annoyed glance at the vampire that had been so eager to stir up conflict once again.

"...Thank you countess, for your lovely suggestion. But I would advise you, for the safety of all the persons in the room, not to aggravate that which is already peckish. "They" do get excited so easily when the leash binding them has been worn thin..."

Although she had no intention of breaking the deal she had made, Enigma appeared unamused by the attempt to bend her into a mere servant, requiring a moment to don the "smile" she normally "wore" for negotiations. Opting to begin speaking, and taking a few steps towards the hunters...perhaps to position herself a bit "better".

"Now then, back to the matter at hand. I do believe dear, you are rather confused as to what I refer to as compensation, given your rather...unintelligible interpretation of who I am. Thus I shall make this simple. You dear, the lot of you ducklings, in inflicting harm on that which is mine, preemptive harm I'll add, now owe me compensation for the damages incurred. Compensation that I have every intention to collect of course, one way or another.

A moment's pause, one in which Enigma attempts to "reign in" one of the snapping teeth away from its desired prey...but seems to fail to do so as it quickly returns to where it was in less than a moment.

"...I'd advise against provocative movements, or actions at this time, lest things end poorly for everyone in this chamber. But moving on...I will take this time to emphasize that the compensation I seek, the stake which was claimed to not exist, applies to only yours truly. The earlier deal, if one would care to recall the finer details, simply states for my assistance in "dealing" with undesired house guests in respect to preservation...and I should note, as I see fit. As desirable as capture or utter disposal of busybody hunters would be, it is not "indisputably' necessary for the preservation of our beloved countess. In fact, in certain scenarios it may be even inadvisable to so rudely dispose of "guests", if one's interests are self-preservation...but that's another story altogether."

Stopping for a moment to apparently "clear her throat", Enigma opts to scan across the room in case of any opposition...stopping once at Lanai and nods once... a signal perhaps to indicate that she was allowed to take her leave from the situation, before quickly returning to her "proposition", cutting off anyone (if anyone had dared to use that opportunity to speak) to begin once again.

"Ahem, I will take this time to emphasize that I am a benevolent being. One that would prefer a peaceful resolution to a conflict such as this, and will thus offer a peaceful proposition. "

At which...a single finger would be raised, pointing...obviously enough, at the blonde haired girl, to accentuate the point.

"The proposition is simple: As the leader of the band of offenders, and the source of this current...disturbance, I ask simply for your willing cooperation in a experiment of mine. A experiment by which I might hopefully mend the damages inflicted upon what is mine of course, and is now a general threat. In exchange, provided it is within my conscious power, I will guarantee the preservation of all the lives of each party... yours included of course. Also why I'd prefer if knives weren't being pushed about at this time, lest agitation strikes me... thank you. I would hate to have to go with the less than healthy option of course, where the world learns whether the creation of "anti-life" is possible in a realistic sense."

Another glance to follow a lengthy tirade, this time at the countess attempting to use her own leverage, then a return to attention once again.

"As I was saying previously however, that naturally applies only if the preceding deal, the preservation of my host during my stay here, does not come under threat, But such should be an issue which can be ignored all together... if petty differences can be put aside for a "peaceful" resolution of course. But nevertheless, any objections?... If not, I'd ask that in good faith, for you to set down your weapons, armor, artifacts, clothing even on the ground beside you... As a show of you willingness to comply of course."

A smile without visible malice to seal the deal...yet a pulsating mass of "evil energy" behind her to support it...one that seems to only swell as it continued to try lashing out indiscriminately...as if one false move would ensure that everything within reach, regardless of who or what it was, would find itself consumed instantaneously should the wrong answer be given.

((GIANT speech, and a signal to Lanai (if Lanai didn't know Enigma well enough that she had begun permitting her pet's departure when the latter performs her most deadly magic)... If the speech is interrupted due to hostile physical, or mental threat at any point...such as the golden girl disappearing to try a sneak attack, the barbarian charging, the wizard beginning a spell incantation... Life Leech 47. Just because Enigma had essentially been prepared to go out with a bang ever since she walked in the room in her little..."phase"... Though if my calculations are right, this should leave her at 2 EP still along with 21 HP. Though nightmarish image would fade right after. ((Actually that fits, given how the "image" is supposed to represent Enigma's little "bomb" at the moment. )) ))

Last edited:
OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

HP = 52, PP = 53, EP = 99, Status = Bound

Rolls
Casting (Nalee, Dispel Magic) : Success.
Casting (Nihlus, Counterspell) : Success.
Enigma takes 2 * 47 = 94 damage. Good night, Enigma.

The vampire ignored Enigma completely, or at the very least didn't acknowledge that she'd spoken, instead keeping all of her attention solely on the three arrayed hunters against her. The hunters stepped back as she stepped forward, keeping Enigma from closing much of the distance between herself and her foes, though each of the obviously fought with all their will in order to prevent their forced retreat. Still, she at least managed to close some of the distance, and also put her pet and her host behind her. Those in front of her scowled darkly as she explained exactly what she meant when she spoke of compensation, and their muscles settled in preparation, though it seemed more defensive than aggressive. They remained silent as Enigma spoke, and paused, and spoke again, all apparently fighting the supernatural compulsion that Enigmas apparition brought upon them.

Lanai nodded back to Enigma after she'd been given the signal to seek refuge, and promptly disappeared, the haggard and scarred demoness fleeing to Enigma didn't even know where. Loyal the demon might be, but she most certainly was not suicidal. The blond girl, when Enigma pointed at her, tensed, sweat beading her forehead, but even through the power being pushed against her psyche, she managed to mutter back; "Like... Your word is... Worth a damned thing... Necromancer." Every word sounded as though it were physically painful to say, but she found the will to force them out anyway.

And, after Enigma delivered her final demand, and issued her toothless smile, the three in front of her all tensed again, but this time, the tension in them seemed to break something. The big man began to tremble, and then to giggle, laughter shaking his entire massive frame after a few moments. The elven man began to tremble with laughter as well, though his was more quiet than the booming laugh that came from his larger companion. The girl smiled tiredly, and this time her voice was calmer and more even, the words still forced but not nearly so much as they had been before; "Drop our.... You must think that we're complete idiots, if you honestly expect any of us to go for that."

Enigma had little doubt as to where that sort of answer would lead, and she prepared to stretch out her aura and promptly devour each and every one of them even as they all suddenly tensed again, ready to lunge at her. Unfortunately, the first thing that Enigma noticed as she did was that her shadow was gone, the image that had been behind her, representing her aura, having been shunted away, the energies pushed forcibly back into her being. Her host shrieked in rage behind her, the sound so utterly inhuman as to mildly disturb even Enigma, if only because such a noise just seemed very unprofessional and inefficient. A girlish laugh sounded, barely audible beneath the monstrous scream. That was fine, as she simply reached for her power again, as it remained in easy reach. The souls within Enigma screamed for release, their infinite hunger for the lives of others apparently about to be sated as her devouring aura stretched out toward hunter and hunted alike.

Indiscriminate, her dark power was ready to lay waste to all around her as it surged out... Only to suddenly be rebounded, right at her. Any smile she might have worn faltered instantly as she felt the dark power suddenly twist, the incantation from the older mans mouth having suddenly caused the souls she'd unleashed to rebound. They had no recourse, their senses locked from all those they might normally have consumed, and had only one other being to find. Only one other upon whom they might sate their hunger. Her.

With a chorus of screams that echoed both within her mind and without, the dark spirits set upon her, and Enigma felt as though she were being ripped apart as they fed upon her life-force. Agony, the like of which she had never imagined possible, fell upon her as it felt as though her soul was being rent apart. She tumbled to the floor, her aura locked within her as her magic destroyed her, and for the second time that night, darkness took Enigma from the world of consciousness.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And this time, she did dream. Within the village of Artmirst, a place she had left behind two years ago at the behest of a daemon. A daemon who had wanted to take her pet from her, before she had even truly known Lanai. Oh, she had gone through a great battle with her, against that legion of walking plants the night previous, but it was not the same way that she knew Lanai now. He had wanted to eat her, a most impolite desire, but a few words had stayed the beings hand. Instead, a brief mental conversation, and her pets insistence that they leave the village as soon as such could be done, which had been immediately as they had been at a bridge leading out of the village anyway.

She watched the scene play out, the dark garbed, armed, and masked being standing before her, and more politely than would be expected from a predator circling its meal, demanded to be allowed to eat her pet. That simply was not acceptable, and she watched the few moments as the compromise played out. She'd allowed the daemon to peak into her pets mind, and then that had been that. She still remembered her pets quite terrified reaction to the daemon, just as she remembered the daemons voice, so harsh and low, like jagged stone grinding against steel.

It might have helped her memory of him that, as the scene paused just before the daemon had left, she heard his voice again, this time saying words she hadn't ever heard him say before; "I owe you a debt. As such, I have preserved you, even from yourself, and even when I would normally not do so. The debt is paid. Your existence is in your own hands now, Enigma. I will interfere no further. Not to your benefit, or to Lanai's." She felt the daemons presence against her mind as she heard the words, but the world around her was a black, empty void, and it seemed to echo from all around her. The void closed in, and Enigma dreamed no more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Enigma woke up with the worst headache she'd ever experienced. It very nearly made her black out again, but after a moment the throbbing of her head and the sickening nausea had dropped down to bearable levels. Enigma opened her eyes, blinking the bleariness out of them, to find herself sitting in a dining room, a length of silver cord tied around her and keeping her anchored to the chair in which she was sitting. She wasn't blindfolded or gagged, and as she stirred she heard a voice, at first muffled, but then identifiably Garruks; "She's waking up." His voice made her head throb again, and a brown robed figure appeared in front of her, shards of shadow gathered all around the feminine figure beneath. "You're not the only one with tricks. Who's talking big now, eh?" Another voice cut off her taunting; "Leave her alone, Nalee. Keep watch with Nihlus and Garruk, we don't know where the demon went, and that bitch could be back any minute. We don't know if she's got any vassals left nearby to feed off of."

The brown robed girl disappeared, and Enigma realized that she could barely move her head just as the torso of the blond girl appeared. She was short, so on her the elven necromancer could see as high as her breasts, but no farther. "You're probably wondering why you're alive. To tell you the truth, so are we, but I honestly don't care enough right now to question it. Right now, I need to know where the Countess is keeping the townspeople. When we went through Argent Vale, there wasn't a soul to be found in the entire place. Where are they? She's probably going to kill a few of them, after the wounds we gave her."

Keylo

Lurker
Reputation score

Overconfidence, pride, not once...but twice, and the jaws of death to accompany such each time. When had she become such a fool to engage in dramatic shows rather than swiftly dispatching those who stood before her?... Probably after her little "victory" streak following her adventures during that time now that she thought about it...though that hardly mattered as she felt herself being devoured by her own spirits, ironic how her end was to be eaten by what she herself had willingly consumed. Yet perhaps fitting... or not?

A familiar voice beyond the shadows, which tore at her very being, a recollection of a time past...Debt? ...From that time she supposed, yet perhaps a reminder of her own mortality still. Although she had begun to advance upon the steps to becoming "that", through the gradual process of consuming and devouring, she had yet to do so. A fact she had seem to have forgotten...and one she was thankful to remember. Even as the pain continued, although they gradually began to decline over time...it was then that the elf opted to "cement" such sensations into her mind, one after the other... A fool she had been once, twice...but thrice?... Not if she could help it, even if fate seemed to be dealing her remarkable cards of late.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It took her a moment for those thoughts to return to her, as the dull throbs of familiar pain and physical sensations welcomed her back to the world of the living, yet once she did...she found herself at a strange peace...mentally at least. A temporal boon that had at least accompanied the results of her mistakes, one she welcomed gladly when she found herself bound. Funny, had she been saved from her own magic just to be executed? That would be ironic perhaps, though she supposed...not impossible.

Once that notion had been proven false however, with a bit of jeering (which she took to heart, forgetting the ability to reverse magic was a tad hard after all) it was then the elf, despite her situation... would smirk slightly. At least, before attention was directed at her once again. Right, negotiations... with the tables turned, easy enough perhaps, although unpleasant.

Letting out an exasperated sigh, Enigma would, perhaps after testing her bonds a bit...opting to recline back as much as she was able to and of course redon her trademark smile.

"My my... so eager aren't we? And here I was thinking that a tale such as that would be ever so interesting to tell. Nevertheless, the townspeople you ask?... I really wouldn't know where they are now so to say. They were gone by...lets see, is it day already?... Sometime before nightfall on the previous day, I'd assume. I became a guest of her around that time. Though Argent Vale really is the quaint little place, silent as it is. Is that all you wished to know?"

...Gone of course, in that her pet had taken most of them from her. And without an understanding of how demon's assimilated the souls they took, she really "didn't" know where they were now save for those that were still within her...but with their silence, she really couldn't tell "where" they were exactly at this point in time...or if they still continued to exist even.

((Test bounds, see how tight they are. And of course, do the only thing she can do for now. Talk.))

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Enigma found her bonds to be tight, but at least not bitingly so. She wasn't precisely the athletic type, of course, so simply breaking them by main strength of her body was out of the question, and she doubted whether she could slip out of them before the blond girl slit her throat, or Garruk snapped her neck, or something equally violent that would result in her bloody demise. She could also sense some sort of enchantment upon the silver chain wrapped around her, though she could only guess at it's purpose. Her captor didn't look to be about to slay her, at least, but Enigma knew quite well how quickly that tune could be changed. She found herself unable to recline back far enough to get her captors faces into her view, and her head throbbed more powerfully as she tried to move back, and something nestled against the back of her head, something with a great many very sharp points, came to her attention rather quickly as she tried. So, head pointed slightly downwards, regardless of her wishes, was the only option she had at this point, but her captor could still quite clearly see Enigma's casual smile.

The daughter of angels, as she had been called by Enigma's inhuman host, listened to her explanation in silence, not even offering any answers to her questions, and she could practically feel the girls entire attention focused on her. The massive room behind her was empty, though the signs of some sort of struggle were evident all over the floor, and she could hear the rest of the group moving about around her, though they all seemed to be spread out rather than gathered together. "I do have another question or two that I'd like answered. Why were you here to begin with? You seem familiar, but I cannot place how, and I am sure that I have never seen you before, so it must be by reputation. You are far too powerful, and unless I've misjudged you, far too intelligent to have fallen under the vampire's control, so you are no simple thrall. You resisted her compulsion earlier, unless all of that was nothing but an act. If so, then you ought to work on your scripting, as it was overlong by half, and your stage direction certainly needs a lot of work." Not the first time Enigma had been referred to as some sort of performer. That insult was likely beginning to wear thin, at this point.

"My name is Talia. My companions are Garruk, Nalee, and Nihlus. I believe that you're at least able to guess at our abilities, if your puppeteer did not tell you of us already, so I will skip that part of the introductions. We have seen enough of you to guess at your powers, so that only leaves one thing. We have given you the courtesy of our names, and we have spared your life, though you are our enemy. So, unless you would like us to continue calling you "Necromancer," might you be able to tell us your name?" They hadn't questioned her story, so at least it seemed that they wouldn't find out that she had been the one to wipe Argent Vale clean of most of it's intelligent life. There were no ghosts for them to conjure and question about it left, so the only ones left alive who knew that particular secret were herself, her pet, the two who yet lived, as far as she knew at any rate, and the Countess Selena.

Keylo

Lurker
Reputation score

Enchanted bindings? Uncreative really, given how many times they'd been tried on her...and how many times they'd have their binding magics devoured promptly afterwards, whenever they failed to amuse her. The was equivalent's a In fact, at this point in time, the only true inhibitor to her doing so was the threat of the one before her, and of course...a casual interest in learning about one who had managed to trump her so. That and of course, the question presented was always so awfully "fun" to answer...a fact rather evidence by how she seemed to break into a small fit of laughter from it.

"Fufufu...Let me ask you a question in turn then before I answer that. What is in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet regardless. But I digress, a name by which I am known?... Enigma perhaps. Or the wanderer as some have call me. I'm a seeker of knowledge, a "necromancer" as you are so inclined to denote me as, and a "devourer" according to some. As for sparing my life, truly an ironic thing to say really, given the "defined" reason for why I remain here in spite of what I am, and why I sought your lives. In spite of what you may believe, I am a person of my word dear, I am defined by such. Prior to your arrival, our beloved countess had the opportunity to slay me, but did not in exchange for a "mutually beneficial" agreement. One wherein I was to lend her assistance against you so long as it was within my power... An agreement that, as you can see, leaves my hands so unfortunately...fufu, tied. While it is true I dance not on anyone's ah...puppet strings, save for my own, I insist still that I am a person of my word, I am unable to break agreements I have made lest I lose who I am. Well, not unless their application ceases, in way or the other of course. If an non-negotiable contract surpassing the original in value or terms is made, or the latter party is in no more place to fulfill their side of the bargain... I become to do as I please. Until then though, there is little I can do. Does that satisfy you Miss Talia?... Or is there anything else you would wish to discuss?"

Last edited:
OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

The girl did not seem amused as Enigma began to laugh, an observation based solely on her body language, as the elven necromancer's head could not be turned up in order to view the woman's face. She listened impassively as Enigma spoke, however, and she remained silent for a moment after the bound necromancer had concluded her explanation.

"How much is your life worth you? And how much your word?" She said quietly, and suddenly Enigma felt something very strange and very, very uncomfortable at the back of her head. "I imagine that both must be worth something to you..." The discomfort increased, and she felt a warm liquid slowly spreading down the back of her neck. "But you should know that the former is worth less than nothing to me. Nalee, let her move her head a little. I wouldn't move too quickly were I you, Enigma." Whatever had been holding her head was suddenly released, but outright pain was now spreading from where her head met her neck. "We haven't exactly perfected this trick just yet. There are only so many monsters that we can waste our time talking to, so we haven't had many opportunities to practice it. Look at me." Her tone was completely flat, conversational even, right up until her demand that Enigma look at her, which was delivered in a fierce growl that echoed through the massive ballroom.

Once Enigma looked Talia in the eyes, she began to speak, her words delivered in a crisp, harsh manner, not quite patronizingly, but not far from it either. "There is a nail pressing against the back of your head. It's about ready to drive right through, into your brain. Do not speak." She paused a moment, waiting to see if Enigma would heed her warning.

When she continued, her tone was more even; "Have you heard of a lobotomy? It's a practice some of the empire's inquisitors have taken to using on the insane, the violent, and people such as yourself. Driving a spike into the brain from the front will allegedly destroy the mind, and that's what they like to do to the ones they think can't be "cured." But driving a spike in through the back.... Well, it's what they've been doing to people such as yourself. It doesn't harm the mind itself, you see. It just cuts off the ability of one such as yourself to call on their power. If done properly, you'd never be able to control your abilities again. If done improperly, it would either kill you, or paralyze you for the rest of your life. Not even magic would be able to restore you, or at least not any magic that a mortal could wield. So. How much is your identity worth to you?"

She waited a moment, allowing that to sink in, but the second Enigma tried to speak, the girl started talking again, over her if necessary; "If you try to move, or call on your powers while we are in here, then that's the fate that awaits you. I don't know who you really are, or what your deal is, but you've still got a choice. You don't have to keep on the path that led you here. But whatever you choose after today, you get no choice today. We're going to leave you here, and once Nalee leaves the room, the nail will disappear. By the time you manage to get yourself out of those chains, as I'm sure you'll be able to, we'll either all be dead, or have completed what we came here to do. I don't ever want to see you again, Enigma. When you get out of here, do whatever you want. But remember what we didn't do to you. And remember that the one you gave your word to protect would have done the same or worse to you without a seconds hesitation or any hope of mercy, even if it were in a less direct manner. I have seen it done a thousand times, by a thousand different demons and undead and faeries and monsters... And even a few ordinary mortals."

She stopped and stared into Enigma's eyes for a moment, the seconds stretching by in tense silence unless Enigma chose to offer some retort.

Keylo

Lurker
Reputation score

If her captor had been hoping to instill fear upon her, they would indeed find her shaking...though not with terror. Rather, it seemed to be almost "laughter", if not for that which was pressed against the back of the elf's head...for that infuriating grin she had bore earlier only continued to grow broader and broader as Talia continued to explain a procedure that she herself had personally performed before in her "research"...

Ah, the ignorance of passing adventurers really... Learn one means of crippling "evil", apply the same procedure upon every instance without ever thinking of the consequences. Though the procedure described would indeed sever one's control over one's powers...it did not dissipate them, no...not in the slightest. The very fact that the girl before her failed to understand this fact... well, at least it served as a "healthy" reminder of why she stopped travelling with other would-be explorers really...For if she did such an act in thinking she'd uphold "justice" or the likes, all she would create in the process would be a "tragedy", or a comedy depending on the perspective. At least the foe that was being sought knew that result in advance...

When the ultimatum was finished however...it was then that the grin would finally break into a laugh. A laugh not out of desperation or simple madness, but rather out of...genuine humor, as if what had been said was the funniest thing that had been said in over a decade. Eventually though, whether due to another threat or the likes or merely a need to catch one's breath, the laughter would cease...but it is then that the gaze that had been filled with the mad "excitement" and "interest" would fade to one of...boredom, if not belittlement...even if the necromancer had remembered to keep it out of verbal expression.

"My my...Forgive my impudence, but allow me to advise you to meddle less with things beyond your own understanding dear...for your own benefit. The merciless one you speak of has that much sense at least, despite folly here and there. I will digress however, that the desire to never see each other again is quickly becoming mutual, despite what "one" still hungers after. If you must know why though, then I shall ask you but a simple question. Can you see what lies within?"

Repeating a question she often asked to gauge another's abilities, Enigma opts to pause at that moment only to allow for a response...but then opts to conclude following a disinterested yawn.

"... If you are done offering ideas of prearranged suicide, I do ask that you please make haste with your little game of vampire slayer and leave me be. Before boredom tempts me to trade "life" for a moment of amusement. Monotony is said to be one of the deadliest poisons after all..."

Last edited:
OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

The girl sighed as she saw that Enigma wasn't buying what she was saying. Instead of responding verbally, she shook her head, and sighed. A look of disgust on her face, Talia walked around her and out of her field of vision. Without responding to a word she'd said, Enigma heard a door close a moment after the girls departure. For the first time in a long while, Enigma was left alone, in complete darkness, as the hunters had apparently provided the only source of it. Despite the size of the room, the darkness and silence closed in on Enigma, and she felt as though she were wrapped in something that was just barely not touching her skin. The pain in the back of her head lessened dramatically a moment after her foes had left.

She waited in silence for a minute, but then, she felt the chains around her react, and the voice of her pet, Lanai said; "Mistress, are you alright? The wound on your head doesn't look too bad. I had to wait until they'd left, just to make sure, but I heard all of that. What should we do? When last I saw our host, she was going to the basement. They talked about searching there while you were unconscious, but the leader wanted to talk to you first."

Last edited:

Keylo

Lurker
Reputation score

Darkness, solitude...left to herself for once, as much as she could be with that which was within her of course, but still...it was a rare time to think and ponder over many things. Things regarding what had happened and what were to come, what role these things had to play in everything...and finally, herself. What was it really that had drove her to such a rash display earlier?...To be so ready to give up what she claimed to value most, based on the state of another...to risk discarding the remainder of her journey for only one thing that defined her person?...A claim to "take good care of pets"? Honesty aside, only a truly stricken fool would do such a thing, a pet was expendable, her journey was not... She knew that much, she discarded many in the past before when the situation required it, even if the situations were mostly their own fault to begin with. So in that case...what was it that made her current one different?
Usefulness...? Devotion...? Or...something else altogether?

It was then, when the elf let out a frustrated sigh, that she became aware of Lanai's presence...one which strangely enough, seemed to make her almost..."jump", much unlike herself. Though of course, given who she was, that would be the extent of her insecurity before she cleared her thoughts and resumed her "usual" self to answer her "pet"...or whatever the demon was to her now.

"I am fine dear, the region is still flourishing with life after all. Though as to our "host" and what we should do dear...I will be honest. I have grown quite tired of this little game, of outmatched odds and the like, and having to play under a set of silly rules. Thus...why don't we put a close on this little chapter of a journey?"

A mad twinkle would seem to set into Enigma's eyes at that moment, the same type that always become apparent before the elf worked marvelous works of magic. Clearly she had something..."planned".

"In fact, let us have this segment of the tale become buried in the annals of history, six feet under shall we say? This residence, the signs of battle...let's have all of it disappear right now. I'll need a little help to do it, but surely you wouldn't mind at all, right Lanai dear? All you have to do is take my hand and follow my lead...mimic what I do, only directed towards another direction...and of course...take us someplace more private once its finished. I do believe there was a rather nice looking cottage while we were looking for a place to stay...though it was a tad small...But are you fine with that? If so... then let us begin."

Should Lanai accept the conditions of course it would be then that Enigma would grab a hold of the demon's hand, pulling herself as close as she could to the former, and then closing her eyes...before beginning to stretch her spirit out... further...and further...and further...power overflowing, while guiding her pet along.

"Close your eyes and clear your your mind...focus only on my voice at this time, and follow my lead.

Enigma's voice would be layered as she spoke, seeming to be an amalgamation of many, including one that Lanai would have heard perhaps only once before...that of a powerful burning entity which seemed to reside deep in her master.

"Now entwine your senses, your magic with mine at this time...in the same manner as when you feast...and do as I say. First, visualize... create an image of the situation desired in one's mind... what we seek at this time is to rend the building asunder...

Should Lanai take up the offer on entwining her soul with Enigma's, as slightly risky as that might be, it would be then that images of the magic being sought would be conveyed..."visual aids" created to help those perhaps inexperienced in such a manner of casting to better focus...

Next...analyze. Determine the means that need to be enacted to create the image desired...look for what can be used, what can be manipulated in what you have grasped...their material, their fragility, their very essence...sear it into your mind...Then begin crafting instructions for them to do as you need...What we seek, is for them to dance, dance far away...

A final pause, as Enigma concludes her own portion of the magic...where her spirit has finally sought out her objective, the farflung supports of the manor...

"And finally...realize. Infuse the instructions you have created with power...and meld reality to your wishes...bringing everything to a close."

*SNAP* Working her magic, it would be then that Enigma, and perhaps Lanai if she had been able to follow through...would cause the supports to break away from the building's frame...to make it collapse on itself. But it would also be then that Enigma, seeming perhaps just a bit exhausted returned to her normal self as she seemed to murmur while resting upon Lanai's frame...

"...Now take us some place quiet...where we can be alone for a period of time. There's things I wish to discuss..."

((Animate, with Lanai's help as an assistant and catalyst. Bring the mansion down, and have Lanai teleport them out afterwards.))

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

HP = 52, PP = 53, EP = 87/99, Status = Fine

Lanai's eyes began to glow as Enigma spoke, two tiny pinpricks of crimson light hovering in front of her. A second later, a light appeared, a crimson orb floating over her pets outstretched hand and bathing the area in it's bloody glow. "Bury it? I couldn't agree more, mistress. I'm sure that you've worked out what to do already." Lanai held Enigma close to herself as her mistress prepared to undo the building around them, both arms wrapped around her and holding her to her soft chest.

Her pet followed her instructions beautifully.

She felt Lanai's powerful spirit entwine with hers as though it had always been so, and she felt her pet mirroring her own actions. Stretching out their power and will as one, each of them grasped support columns at opposite ends of the house. Forcing life into what had always been lifeless, and surrounded by death for so long, consumed a great deal of power from the both of them, and Enigma could feel the hunger of her pet's soul.

The mansion began to quake, loud cracks appearing along the floor and ceiling, as their combined power forced stone that had settled for decades to shift. They couldn't animate the entire column, of course. That was beyond even the combined power of Enigma and her demon pet. What they could do quite easily, however, was cause a large chunk of them to tear itself free of the structure it had supported. Lanai had clearly done something of the sort before, as images of white stone structures reshaping themselves flitted into Enigma's mind through the link that she now shared with Lanai.

The shaking of the structure around them almost caused them both of them to tumble to the floor, but Lanai held Enigma steady, and a moment after their working had been completed, and the house above them roar, Enigma felt her pet's efforts change. Power of a different sort wrapped around the both of them as rubble began to fall, and shouts of confusion and fear reached their ears. For a heartbeat, Enigma and Lanai shared that vision. Destruction incarnate not only of a building, but of a place of life. Evil life, albeit, but as their host's home crumbled around them, and the roar of the support struts around the edge of the mansion giving out reached their ears.... There was something simply poetic about devastation so pure, and so untainted by fire and darkness as such obliteration normally was. Merely a shifting of weight, and watching as a man-made construction collapsed around them under it's own weight. Bad engineering and mother nature at work together.

They disappeared, and Enigma felt utterly weightless for a moment, before the two of them reappeared atop a small cottage. Lanai immediately shifted and looked over, and as she followed her pet's gaze, Enigma quickly found out why. The two of them watched the building they'd been in a moment ago collapse in on itself together, starting at the edges and working inward. A tremendous roar, and a powerful tremor, and a cloud of dust and debris covered Argent Vale. Lanai's arms remained around Enigma the entire time, and for that moment, they were all that existed in all the world. Enigma. Lanai. And one collapsing mansion.

After the dust settled, and one final tremor passed over the village, there was only silence within Argent Vale. Then, the sounds of the night creatures came back, birds and insects and animals from the forest around them. "That was... Magnificent." Lanai broke the silence, and then turned to regard Enigma with a wry smile. "I hope that you appreciated the view as much as I did, mistress. But... After everything that's happened.... I'm a little tired. Shall we get off of this roof now?"

Keylo

Lurker
Reputation score

It had been such a simple thing to perform, yet a majestic one still. To render an architectural masterpiece that had stood for countless years into naught but a pile of rubble in so short a time, to watch as nature took its course and created a fitting marker for one page of history... Bliss, was perhaps the term to best describe what she felt. That or perhaps..."satisfaction". After all, had she not just felled two birds, and a mansion alongside it, with one stone? The countess had asked for her assistance in dealing with four slayers after her life; the slayers had requested to never cast eyes on her person again... Well, had she not granted both requests in one instance? Buried under rubble, the slayers would never need to cast eyes upon her again. And the countess? Well...if dropping a building upon the slayers was not considered assistance within her power, then she was insatiable to begin with.

All this and more was made better by having another to share the moment with, to behold the spectacle and closing of yet another adventure...albeit perhaps a more forceful closing than some. Returning her pet's smile as she answered, Enigma, feeling a strange peace and satisfaction...would give her approval.

"Magnificent indeed...Well done dear. Let us go inside. There are things to discuss, rest to be had...and a reward, if not more, I owe to you dear for all the excellent work you've done."

With that said... Enigma would then proceed to, perhaps hand in hand (or being carried) opt to disembark from the roof they were now on... perhaps even making temporary earthen stairs to ease their descent (and of course, unlocking/removing silly doors if they should choose to block the way)...so that she could move on to another part of her life and journey.

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Her pet smiled innocently in response to her words of thanks, and in a tone to match her expression, said; "A reward? For what?" Lanai kept Enigma close as they proceeded down the steps that Enigma conjured, though not so close as to make her seem smothered. Instead, hand in hand, the two proceeded leisurely down to the ground, where the dust had just finished settling after the mansions collapse.

The door of the tiny house opened without Enigma or her pet needing to expend further energies, and revealed the home within. It seemed unlikely that more than one person had lived within the cottage, as there was only one room. A small bed lay in one corner, made of feather down and with thick blankets, and more pillows than seemed reasonably necessary. There was a cast iron stove over a stone hearth in the center of the room, with a single wooden rocking chair sitting in front of it. A section of cupboards covered one wall, and a table with two chairs sat in the corner across from the bed, in a cubby nestled between the door and the storage space. The remaining wall had a section of it devoted to a tiny shrine to some deity or another, as well as a handful of picture frames hanging from it.

All in all, a very nice place. Particularly given the teapot hanging over the fireplace, the pale of fresh looking (and smelling according to Lanai) water next to the door, the selection of most likely local teas next to the kettle, and the selection of cheap cups sitting on the table. It was as if whoever had lived here had been preparing to have guests before going out for the afternoon.

Keylo

Lurker
Reputation score

Rather than answer her pet immediately following, Enigma would wait till she had surveyed their momentary shelter to offer even the basic response. Yet even when the elf seemed to approve the accommodations, the answer she gave would be enigmatic at best, and the elf acted as if under some strange influence or musing.

"A few things here and there...for now, take a seat dear and make yourself comfortable."

For rather than have her pet light a fire and prepare the tea (alongside other things), the necromancer would opt to do so herself...setting about making things a bit more..."cozy" with perhaps a bit of animation magic here and there, and even insist on doing most of the things herself, should Lanai have opted to intervene. It would be only once a fire was burning in the hearth nearby, the kettle boiling, and arrangements for tea had been made that the elf would sit down...only to raise a curious question.

"...Tell me dear. If you could have any single thing of me, what would you ask for?... No tricks dear, or anything of that nature. Just simply, if you could have one thing of "Enigma", anything at all...what would you have?"

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Lanai didn't seem to mind the rest, and sat on the bed with a sigh while Enigma set about making the tiny room more comfortable. A few minutes of work, and a few tiny flexes of her magic here and there speeding the simple tasks later; a fire burned in the hearth, the black iron kettle had been filled with water that was slowly approaching its boiling point, and the additives had been selected. That was when Enigma opted to take a seat herself, and ask her pet the question that had so concerned her for so long.

Lanai took what felt like an eternity in answering her, and when she did finally begin to speak, it was slowly and carefully, but also earnestly, and her eyes did not stray from Enigma's throughout her entire response. "I desire many things from you, my mistress. A great many things. But... You already give me most of them. More perhaps than even you know."

"If I could have but one thing, and only one, however? You may be surprised. I do not desire a time of mastery over you, no matter how long or how brief such a tenure might be, or the conditions of it. Nor a return to Hell, though I should say that you might find many things there that would interest you, and I would have little fear for your safety even among my dangerous kin. I would not ask a thing of you that might overtly change you, one way or another, as is customary among my kin when we try to strike a bargain. I would not even ask that you allow me to feed, though my hunger begins to gnaw at me. No.... If there was one thing I could ask from you, it would be something that you cannot give to me, not consciously, at least. It is something that is already agreed upon between us, you and I."

Lanai smiled tiredly, and a hint of laughter in her voice, she said; "Can we take a vacation, you and I? A day off, perhaps? I know how you are after your studies, but a brief time to rest and recuperate would do us both good. And I'm ever so sick of having to walk everywhere."

Keylo

Lurker
Reputation score

Enigma would pay close attention to Lanai's response, seeming as attentive as she usually was when performing bargains and the like with other people, creatures even. Yet, although seeming a bit initially surprised at what was detailed in the response given, the elf would seem...strangely content with it, even despite the momentary confusion as to the "agreement that had already been made.", for she would opt to smile after closing her eyes to ponder.

"..A vacation? I do suppose that it would be nice to have a break from all of the walking. The body does need time to recuperate after all. Is there a place you have in mind specifically dear? Or does such a detail not truly matter? And of course...is there a time you care specifically for this "day off", as you say?"

After all, now that the necromancer thought of it, the last time she had opted for a day of complete isolation from her studies and the like was many many years ago...and for reasons she had already forgotten by this present time...A vacation would probably do both her and Lanai some good, even if it was a simple thing to ask for.

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Lanai's response was immediate and startlingly frank, as she said; "Anywhere that isn't here would be fine by me, to tell the truth. Almost being killed doesn't exactly make it easy to relax. And none of the little towns where people are constantly spouting the sort of crap that got us into this mess in the first. The cities in this land aren't exactly conducive to our presence either.... And I'm not one for the cold of the North, meaning no offense to you or your ancestors and kin of course, mistress. The Western desert is too far and too hot. Celesis, perhaps? The trek through the jungle would be rough, but I think that's probably the best place to find a nice place to cool our heels for a while."

Lanai smiled impishly, and jokingly continued; "Maybe find a nice, ancient convent to relax at for a day or two. You can peruse the library, and I can peruse the residents." She looked at Enigma with a great deal of poorly veiled concern at that last statement, clearly wanting to know just how Enigma might react to it.

Keylo

Lurker
Reputation score

Enigma would allow her pet to finish, before beginning to offer her own opinions on the locations and...destinations presented...more patience than she had shown in a long while really in terms of conversations and the like. Yet once she did of course, she would stumble upon her habit of droning on for an extensive period of time...though perhaps more in moderation this time around.

"Near death experiences are rather undesirable in terms of vacation destinations. No argument there dear. The same going for the silly people around these parts really, though there's not much they can do regardless of how much they detest us. There's a few agreements and acquaintances from times before that would see to that of course. But as we are seeking a place of rest, I do suppose relying on them would be wearisome. I'm not one to fancy a visit to my...kin, as you call them, either. The stubbornness of the Academy and that silly prissy Queen left rather unpleasant tastes in my mouth from the last time I paid them one, pretentious little broad the latter really. "Should carry oneself a bit more dignified" she said, less association with shoddy imitations and more with proper "high elf" drivel. Even when neither her nor the larger portion of the residential mages could hope to even replicate half of what I've discovered over time, boisterous baboons..."

...Once she had finished her rant as to the north however, the necromancer would seem to come to an agreement as to a journey to Celesis. Though for reasons other than mentioned by Lanai.

"...Ahem, barring those silly indoctrinated geese...A trip to Celesis might be perhaps nice. I do believe a mentor of mine had a residence in one of the neighboring jungles...and it has been so long since I paid him...her was it...? Paid the said person a visit in general. Years perhaps, now that I think about it. Haven't really visited the place nearly enough with how long I spent in the desert and these cities...perhaps a fine idea actually. Yes...indeed, a vacation in Celesis will do nicely. Though...a covenant?... Libraries...Residents..."

A strange pause as Enigma lowers her gaze for a moment...then, opts to close her eyes outright, almost as if to conceal something while she answers.

"...I do believe most covenants I've visited before still have me banned for life dear. So that might have to take a miss, I'm sorry to say. Not that their libraries generally have anything worth reading anyway really... But I digress, do you have a time in mind you in which you'd like to take this trip?"