What's new

A few questions about WolfRPG Editor

JustLurksHere

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
OK, I'm not sure if this would be a right place for asking such questions and getting useful answers, but still hoping it is.

So, does anyone here know if it's possible to upgrade a game done with WolfRPG 2.10 to 2.21 via the editor ?
Cause while in some cases (somewhat surprisingly) things just work simply by replacing the executable(s), in other that results in glitches/random brokeness.

Is there something about it in the manual or perhaps on some site ?

(...damn, there was at least one other thing, but I forgot what it was...)

kiko

aka the Asian rapper Kikkoman Flowsauce
Reputation score
I'm not sure if it's possible, but I don't see a reason why you'd do it. Can you perhaps explain why you would upgrade a WolfRPG game to a newer version of the engine?

Etory

Demon Girl
Reputation score
Via the editor? You can try exporting the contents of each script (one-by-one as I recall), start a new Wolf 2.21 project and port over the map files and other media, then reimplement the scripts. The db's are usually consistent imo, but shaky scripts can wreak havoc. I've only ported one wolfrpg game (Ane Kasegi in my sig) to the then-newest english wolfrpg, and let me tell you it was more work than I bargained for. I wouldn't recommend it without a specific reason.

aarrrr120

Reputation score
While I don't have specific experience with WolfRPG I have a lot of experience with upgrading game engines and unfortunately the answer has always been maybe. It often depends on if methods or functions who's names get changed in the update. If the programmer used one of those methods then things will likely break. Sometimes things break anyway. The risk is much lower the smaller the version gap so you have a good shot. Keep a backup just in case.

If you only have an exe file then you'd need to decompile it somehow to be a workable project folder. I know such things exist for unity and rpgmaker, but I haven't seen one for wolf.

Best of luck with whatever you're trying to do!

OP
J

JustLurksHere

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
@Etory: it's nothing regarding translating in this case; anyway, it seems odd that the (engine's) author wouldn't at very least write something about upgrading old projects.
(also, yes, there *is* a reason, even if a wacky one)

OP
J

JustLurksHere

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
First of all, yes, it's a double post, but on a not quite related issue, yet not needing a new thread...well, at least the way I see it.

So, with my first fishing expedition as of yet still unsuccessful, I'm temporarily changing the subject slightly.

Did any one worked out Gale image format or is the only option for accessing those files (besides the tool that creates them) upstream provided solutions, like galefile.dll ?