Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: A Game of Cat and Mouse (Vezina)

"Of course, Lady Vezina. I believe I know exactly the place the creature speaks of, a village to the northeast. No more than a few miles outside of Lord Mithras gates, quite bold of the usurpers I must say." Richard says before turning to depart.

"Good luck with the warmaster, I shall join you soon." He adds before slipping into the shadows of the alleyway.

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

"Simply done," Vezina commented as the Sheriff disappeared out of sight. She turned to Lysandra. "Well then, let us make haste to Aethulwulf's domain, wherever it may lie. The night is young still, but we should not waste too much time."

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Lysandra nods and leads the way out of the seedy district of prostitutes almost back to the gate they had entered and turned south. "We should be able to find Aethelwulf in the preserve near Castle Bayard. It's not very large though it is a lot darker and more dangerous than the rest of the city in many ways."

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

"Darker and more dangerous, you say? How so? Do the Lupines lay claim to it?" Vezina ventured a guess. Wild lands always lent to conflict with the lupines, especially so in her old country. The loose alliance with the Gangrel, and their mortal allies in the revenant families gave the Tzimisce the necessary strength - in addition to their potent Koldunic and minion shaping methods - to repel the threats from the wolf men.

"What defenses do the Cainites of London have from the lupine threat here?"

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

"The lupines are the main problem even if their numbers are few within the city. They are low in most cities of course, but London is better protected than most thanks to Lord Mithras. Granted a few of the creatures have managed to enter the city but they are very few in number and rarely cause problems." Lysandra answers quietly as they ride through the streets toward their destination.

"Thanks to his past battles with the creatures he has ensured that his capital is well-protected against their threat. Each of the gates has ancient magic of some sort woven into them to ward away such fearsome beasts. At least that is what the legends say. They also say that he has defeated large numbers of the lupines on his own to aid the Romans in their conquering of these lands. As powerful as he is I find it difficult to believe any single Cainite could defeat a large number of the wolf men myself." She adds as the tips of dark trees begin to take shape over the roofs of buildings further down the road they travel.

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

"It is best not to underestimate the powers of Caine's blood," Vezina said. "Those like Lord Mithras, whom can claim close lineage to the first of us, they are capable of feats that we could not comprehend. The lupines are all strength and claw, and perhaps a certain low, animal cunning. But they would be no match for the greatest of our kind."

Vezina rode on while keeping her senses open and occasionally heightened so as to not be caught off guard by anything that may be lurking in the woods with them.

She was quietly confident in the abilities of her forebears, and was looking forward to bringing down this Tremere sorcerer for more reasons than simple vengeance. His blood sorcery could be the key to relearning the secrets of the Koldun in these foreign lands. If anything would make her feel safe against the threats of lupines, it would be access to a power that others here had not seen before and could not understand.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

"I don't doubt his powers so much as feel in awe of them." Lysandra says quietly as they enter into the forested area within the city. "I honestly know little of the lupines other than what I learned in my homeland. Even there they are incredibly rare thanks to the presence of the aes sidhe. The tales of both can be rather frightening as a mortal."

The forest is dark though the trees are newer growth and a tended trail moves through the area, making it seem less dangerous than the forests of Banat. Still there is an unnatural silence under the boughs and Vezina's senses pick up lateral movement on several occasions. Though every time it seems to be some simple beast that scurries away after catching their scent.

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Whereas some kindred feel out of place in the wild, Vezina felt at home. She had, as a mortal, spent many a night within a woodland where few dared to tread. The sounds of the night did not frighten her.

Whispering into the air, Vezina attempted to summon an owl to perch upon a nearby branch, where she could ask it for information about the bipedal predators within this wood. She wished to know where Aethulwulf was before the elder chose to show himself.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Lysandra stops as Vezina couches her call to summon a creature of the woods for further information. They wait for perhaps a minute before the creature that Vezina had called silently swoops onto a nearby branch from deeper within the forest. The snowy white bird picks at the prey held in it's claws for a few seconds before swallowing a vole down it's gullet. The owl looks from one to the other before hooting at Vezina to ask what she needs.

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Vezina asks the owl if it knows the whereabouts of others of her kind. Specifically she asks after a Cainite that matches the description of Aethulwulf. If it has not seen him, she will ask the owl to soar through the trees and find him for her.

After it flies away, she will either follow the course it suggested or continue on their current track until the owl's return.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

The owl listens to Vezina's questioning tilting it's head side to side as though it's actually pondering her words. Despite the movement of the raptors head it's eyes never leave Vezina's even as it answers. It has seen a creature such as she seeks in the forest though not on this night, it soon flies off screeching into the darkness of the forest after hearing her request to search for Aethelwulf.

Lysandra remains quiet until the owl has flown off, staring after the wise bird before saying. "I feel as though I am being less than useful this evening to gather our party. Perhaps I will soon get a chance to prove my worth to the coterie you are gathering."

Vezina noticed the lateral movement pick up once more off to her left as they began to ride once more. Unlike the previous instance this creature seems much larger than some simple dog or fox and it does not veer off as the other creatures had up to this point.

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

"You may have your chance to prove your worth soon enough, Lysandra." Vezina said as they rode onward. "Something follows us to the left. Be ready."

Vezina loosened her bow and then rounded her horse to a halt and drew an arrow. Her eyes searched the foliage to her left and she sniffed the air for telltale signs of animal or kine.

"Who goes?" she spake unto the night.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Lysandra pulls up her horse and takes up position beside Vezina her targe at the ready to block any blows that might be coming their way. Her other hand hovering inches from the seax strapped at her hip as she coldly glares towards the bushes with Vezina. She certainly seems prepared for whatever may be leaving the bushes.

A slight bristling of branches in front of them as Vezina speaks is the only sign either of them notices. Vezina keen sense of smell easily picks out the various odors of the forest and something else as well, not quite that of an animal but most certainly not that of a Cainite. Then the creature slinks out from the brush, an exceedingly large but rather mangy looking specimen of wolf. The creature stares at them before smelling at the air and growling out in voice that sound as though it hasn't spoken in years.

"Wyrm stink. Why do the leeches come into my forest? There is no blood here for the likes of them to suck."

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Wary now, Vezina listened for others. Wolves were pack animals, and so too, according to her sire, were the lupines. It was odd however - Gyulu had said they were not prone to trading words.

"We have no quarrel with you, lupine. We only seek out another of our kind who dwells in this forest, and we will leave here as soon as our words with him are done."

Using her power of animalism, she added in the mannerism of wolf-speak, "Leave us to our hunt, and we shall leave you to yours."

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

The lupine seemed to be alone as it steadily stared at Vezina and Lysandra. In fact the forest had grown utterly quiet as if the natural order objected to the supernatural presences of kindred and lupine. The creature growled back in wolf speak seeming to prefer that to the human tongue it had used.

"No leeches live in this part of the forest. The wyrm tainted stick to the edges of the forest where they belong. Begone leech and do not return!"

Despite the insulting tone it uses towards the 2 kindred the wolf does not venture any closer than the edge of the path. It seems to mainly be concerned with keeping them from entering too deeply into the forest.

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Vezina kept her eyes fixed on the lupine, trying to size him up. A sentinel perhaps? But then what was it guarding? Something more than trees, no doubt. The Tzimisce knew that there were places of power in the world, where spirits could more easily commune with the physical world. Gyulu had said that such places were vyed for vigorously between the Voivodate and the lupines in her homeland and that they were of exceptional value to any Koldun fortunate enough to have access to one.

Perhaps one day, Vezina would successfully cleanse this land of these unreasonable creatures, and claim their secrets for her own. For now though, it would be unwise to antagonize the creature.

"It says that Aethulwulf will not be found deep within the preserve. That the edges of this forest are where we shall find the warmaster," she translated for Lysandra's benefit. "If this is true, then we have no need to seek him beyond this point?"

She waited for Lysandra to weigh in on the subject. She did not take the lupine at his word, but whether she believed him or not, she must act as though she were not intending to test him.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

"I do not fear this mangy lupine, however it would be wiser not to antagonize them at this time. The domain has more serious problems at hand without adding new ones." Lysandra answers quietly.

"We should be mindful of our retreat though. Even a mangy creature such as this could be cunning enough to set a trap for us. Lead the way, Lady Vezina. I shall act as a the vanguard should the creature have treachery in mind."

The lupine slinks back into the bushes as soon as the two kindred depart. Though Vezina can still sense the creature as it watches from it's hiding place without giving chase. It certainly seems to be guarding the deeper parts of the forest from intrusion but for what reason, she is unsure.

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

"Aye, that is for the best," Vezina said. With Lysandra guarding her, Vezina felt more comfortable by far than if she had to brave these dark woods alone. She was not embraced with sheer physical prowess in mind - that was the realm of Scorylo. Hers was the task to rule by intellect and the dark majesty of the blood.

Guiding her mount away from the deepest reaches of the preserve, Vezina awaited some signal from her new owl companion for the whereabouts of the warmaster. His aid in this matter was paramount. A Gangrel of his age, cunning, and strength would surely make the siege of the Tremere haven a certainty - and if the translation of Abetorius' journal proved true, he had just as much reason as Vezina to hate these blood usurpers.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Having left the lupine to it's guardianship of the deeper woods Vezina was soon rejoined by Lysandra. The Lamia was now more alert than ever and her weapons remained loose as she rode up beside her companion. The sounds of the animals had returned as they neared the edge of the forest. The owl seemed to swoop down as from out of nowhere and passed it's knowledge to Vezina from a branch above the pair. "There is a creature ahead. Much like yourself. Follow me."

Vezina must have made an impression on the creature for it to be so helpful as it lead them further along the edge of the forest to a small clearing in the forest. The floor of the clearing was covered in loose dirt and damp pine needles and in the center near on a rock naturally worn by the weather into a table sat Aethelwulf perusing a map as though deep in thought. Without looking up he speaks commandingly "Ah, Lady Vezina. I hope you did not run into too much trouble in your attempts to find me. The lupines control the deeper woods in this forest."

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

"So I have learned, Warmaster," Vezina said while dismounting and then bowing her head slightly to the elder Cainite. Aethulwulf's aura of authority was such that even Pallas had acknowledged it, and that alone was testament to the need to act with deference to him. "There was one mangy looking lupine that told us as much. Now that I know this place I can more easily avoid antagonizing them in the future. I am surprised that you feel comfortable residing so close to them. Does it not unsettle you?"

After hearing his answer, Vezina approached closer to him, hoping that she could at least gain his full attention for the moment.

"I come on official matters. After a brief questioning of the gargoyle prisoner, I have uncovered knowledge of Abetorius' haven. He and his childe, along with more gargoyle servants await us within a church in a village to the northeast, several miles beyond the gates of the city. The Lady Lysandra, the good Sheriff, and myself are determined to put an end to his criminal activity. I think this an excellent moment for your qualities to shine as well, given that this sorcerer is likely behind your recent poisoning, and is a threat to both your bloodline and mine own. Best to bring him to heel before more unnecessary damage is done. We ride within the hour, and I humbly request your aid."

Status
Not open for further replies.