What's new

Advice Chips

R

Ryka

I have noticed that some things that are my pet peeves are actually grey areas. For the posters and developers alike. What I want to know is what the limits are. Granted, I do not wish to push any limits, but I have seen them pushed and people get off scot-free with developers.

1.) Asking for free links when a developer is an active poster in the thread.

This is one of the biggest ones for me. There are certain devs that do not mind link sharing. Even right in front of their peepers, but I do not know the extent of this. There has to be a limit to this. If I were to be a developer, I'd thrash them.

2.) Modding a developer's game.

This is a very grey area, as I initially thought this would be offensive. I do understand that English mods and Character mods are okay to look at. But I do not know if it is kosher for some devs to see their game have extra modes of gameplay or modified gameplay styles in their own hard work. What do you think a limit for this might be?

3.) Saying you don't like/recommend a game based on your sexual preferences.

This is a little less of a concern but I just want to point it out. What is the limit to this? I have seen some completely undeserving games recieve posts in lieu of "0/10 would not fap" in their respective threads. What's the limit here as well?

lazycat

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Advice Chips

1. Link begging in face of a dev:
Frankly I don't do it, and is annoyed when it happens, but accepted it as WILL happens.
Personally I'd prefers those people just PM someone that have the link instead.

Well, usually those that do that generally don't plan to buy it anyway, so the best thing to do is pretend they don't exist and move on.

2. Mod:
It's basically the equivalent to doujinshi really, regardless of how much you like/hate it, if someone want to make a parody of it, it will happens.
So long as the 'mod' doesn't do it just to troll people or to resell the product, I don't really minds it.
Then again I do live near VALVe...which openly welcome most mods...I wonder if I'm affected by their mindwave or something .- .

3. Posting about hating a game:
The 0/10 kind I don't like.
Constant posting/harassing others for not liking their fetish I also don't like.
Posting 1-2 post about WHY they don't like something I'm ok with.
Mainly whether the post is just flamebaiting/trolling or actually present something (and not beating on a deadhorse like being the 10th guy in a page to say "game contains XXX stuff")

Judael

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

No, even if author don't care . It is a lack of respect.

Yes. But depend on the content that will be added

Forums exist to criticize. You can't do anything about it. (sadly)

This is just what i think

Last edited:

finale00

Tentacle God
Reputation score

As a game modder and reverse engineer, I don't see much issue with game modding, nor do I understand why some game developers get all angry over it.

We have cases like the ones where over nude mods. In this case, that is understandable, because it damages your reputation and your series.

But for other cases where people simply say "mod and you die!" sometimes I can't tell whether it's a pride issue.

Last edited:

censuur

Tentacle God
Reputation score

1: You're not going to stop this, people opening a thread and finding an interesting game will look for a link, in absence thereof they will ask for one, they won't read the thread to the point where they notice the game's developer is active in it until maybe they play the game and look through the thread for more information on something. Is it acceptable to ask a link when you KNOW the developer is active in thread? Yes, absolutely, this is at it's core a site to discuss and share content, and in most cases against the wishes of the author (illegally) There are plenty of exceptions where we respect the author's wishes when he makes them known to us directly, but this kind of favoritism is hardly an acceptable standard.

2: Same as 1 really, if people like a game and have the know-how to mod it then they're going to do it, with or without permission, same as with the original sharing concept. It becomes a problem when a modder is attempting to monetize the work of another. While I personally accept the "piracy" aspect due to the fact that most people who partake in it are unable to legitimately purchase the product in the first place (either do to lack of financial means or simply being unable to purchase the product) thus the creator not losing any revenue over this kind of sharing (or a generally negligible amount, if anything) I cannot see any legitimate reason why monetizing the work of someone else without their permission is acceptable.

3: This is a more general issue between objective review and subjective review. Most reviews contain a mixture of both, and a proficient reader will filter out or account for the subjective bits, most people who discuss a game also wish to share their experiences with it, and while people seem more accepting of a game being praised than being criticized, they are both equally valid forms of review.

To illustrate what I mean with objective/subjective review:
Objective review generally comes down to discussing the games technical spec's, the duration, variety, art quality (tricky to keep this one objective though) sound quality and overall playability (how smoothly the game runs, the kinds of activities you find throughout the game and matters like bugs)

Subjective review is mostly about the reviewer's personal experiences with the game and how well it matches their likes/dislikes, generally this comes down to how enjoyable the gameplay was, difficulty, art quality, art style, sound style and overall subject matter.

Then there's the difference between positive and negative review, most people will accept anything positive being said about the game, unless blatantly contradicting the truth and even then people will ignore it more often than address it. Negative review on the other hand tends to get subjected to immediate censure, the amount of whiplash you receive when posting a negative review can be quite extreme no matter how justified and accurate the review is.

In conclusion, on point 3, I think it's a more important matter of becoming as tolerant of negative review as we are of positive review, rather than giving people another excuse to censure negative review ("that's just your opinion!") as I mentioned earlier, art and sound quality are always a gray area but for most people (in terms of whether it's subjective or objective), artwork is also one of the more important parts of these games.

If you disagree with someone's opinion, ignore it and don't try to censor it or "correct" it.

kiko

aka the Asian rapper Kikkoman Flowsauce
Reputation score

1: I never ask for links, I wait for a DL link to pop up, or eventually I buy the game and keep it for myself..
2: I lack the proper knowledge to mod some games, only the Gamemaker ones, but even then I do not modify the original game..
3: I never do this, I don't have one fetish, I have many, so that I don't brag about stuff like Scat, Guro and shit like that... (Even though I dislike that)

phwolf

Reputation score

1. I think developers who are active on a thread are taking the risk when they try different Forums ; Can't be said about this forum cause ppl in general would stop it from even starting. So on Ulmf is safe practise; developer know they take a risk on other forums; I'm sure.

2.You know it's not only small time developers that struggle alot with this ; I remember Fallout NV felt like a new game with Navara and stuff, I think modders should have more respect to the game they change. Some do some don't sadly. But I can see it's worth cause a game could be made perfect with a little more input; but credit where credit is due. All gamers know that.

3.I think it's just people who click on a game and have no idea with it contains cause of poor discription. So they take their wasted data vengence. If you see more than 1 "!" just read the next post. If it's bad it's bad generally , that's common sense for all even those angry. "Birds Don't shit in their own nests" -Zoltan

CreamDonut

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

from my personal expirience no mater what you do people will pirate your stuff ask links and share links, some people are just dicks who dont understand how much hard work it is to draw cgs,spires,think of a concept and put it all together. But heres the truth, most of the people just cant buy stuff and yet still want to enjoy expirience you developers provide and thers a bright side, if they cant buy it they could tell some one about it and those guys/girls might buy it.
I myself didnt buy 50% of stuff i playd and watchd simply couse i cant offord it, hard times you know but people who just jump right before you and say bad stuff like "i dont care, i will get a crackd game for free" are just dicks.
And remember minecraft, even if people dont buy the product they still make a community that enspires mods and such and that inspires more buyers, rope with two ends.

mrblack

Lurker
Reputation score

Just my two cents.

1.) Asking for free links when a developer is an active poster in the thread.

- Very bad taste. Links may pop up or PM to share, but I feel everyone on this forum has to understand the basic rules of capitalism. If a game is profitable there there will be more, if it is not there will be no more. Part 2 Some Dev's make games like art and like to see others enjoy their work. Really depends upon Dev

2.) Modding a developer's game.

- One of my favorite games was only worth it due to the mods (BlankBlood). I would also like to bring up Fallut3/NewVegas and other 'REAL' games many of which encourage extra mods for hours and hours of extra game play and fame.

3.) Saying you don't like/recommend a game based on your sexual preferences.

-If you don't like it, ask about modding or ignore it. Again capitalism rules all. I loved Kyrieru's first game but the second wasn't my liking at all so I gave it no attention or sales. 3rd one seems right up my alley and I can't wait to support him.

Given the wide spectrum of fetishes I would like to see more dev's include and encourage mods (after sales) or sale different versions/addons of a game with minor tweaks.