What's new

Alien Attack

Lurker
Reputation score
Not a hentai game but this is my first "Intro to Computer Gaming" Class project.

It is a side scrolling shooter game. The controls are WASD for movement arrow keys for rotation and space to fire. If you have an Xbox controller and the drivers for it on your computer you can play with that also. XBOX controls are left thumbstick to move, right thumbstick to rotate and R1 to fire.

There is only one level and a boss at the end (for now). The rules of the game are simple shoot the aliens and don't get hit as they fly by. You can only have 5 lasers on screen at a time and have 10 hits until you die. If you manage to kill 15 of the bastards you will trigger the boss hit him 15 times and you win.

Read the readme for installation instructions!

Known bugs:
Sometimes the boss does not fire at the ship automatically as intended and we can't figure out why code wise... I'm thinking of using an int counter instead of DateTime for the timing but that would really be a downgrade.

Constructive criticism and suggestions are welcome.

Have fun and be kind to my game it's my baby :p

If there are any composers amongst you, I'd love to update the music with more appropriate songs.

Last edited:

DarkFire1004

Tentacle Goddess of the H-Section
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Alien Attack

So I wanted to be helpful and give you your first review, but every time I try to open the .exe file, I just get the "Alien Attack has stopped working" message. Sorry, man. Maybe you can tell me what's wrong first?

DeMatt

Lurker
Reputation score

every time I try to open the .exe file, I just get the "Alien Attack has stopped working" message. Sorry, man. Maybe you can tell me what's wrong first?
Gonna have to second this. I get "alien attack has encountered a problem and needs to close."

I note that the borders on your screenshot suggest that you're running Windows 7. Does this program require Win7? Does it need other additions, like a .NET Framework?

OP

Lurker
Reputation score

It shouldn't.... I programed it using microsoft XNA game studios 3.0 on Visual c# 2008. That means it should work on any PC so long as it's Windows XP+.

What I'll do (tomorrow as it's 4AM now) is upload the entire thing code and all. maybe I didn't include a neccessary file. The .exe file would then be in the bin folder.

OP

Lurker
Reputation score

Ok double post but I've updated the first post with the new download link. I appologies for taking so long but the professor taught us a way that we could polish our code and I wanted to do that and clean up the mess I had before I sent it off for you guys to see.

DeMatt

Lurker
Reputation score

Hokay, after much digging and rereading the thread and stuff... I figured out the (first) problem.

You need XNA Framework 3.0, either in the form of the or in the form of the full version (provided with XNA Game Studio).

Once I tracked that down, the error message I got changed into "This program thinks your graphics card belongs in a museum".

So, I'm sorry, I can't further test your masterwork. But at least I solved the one problem.

OP

Lurker
Reputation score

For a fucking side scroller? seriously?

DeMatt

Lurker
Reputation score

For a fucking side scroller? seriously?
Yeah, I was kinda surprised, too.

But considering my "graphics card" is an Intel something-or-other built-in POS from maybe as little as five years ago... it's not that surprising.

I attached the error message, just in case you were curious. Probably XNA insists on at least that much performance-wise, even if the game itself doesn't need it.

Attachments

OP

Lurker
Reputation score

wow... Thanks for showing me that Dematt I had no idea.

DeMatt

Lurker
Reputation score

Well, after getting annoyed at a different program for running so poorly on my web-browsing machine... I transferred it and Alien Attack to a "better" machine.

So I got Alien Attack to run. My thoughts:
  • I don't think the Final Fantasy music is all THAT appropriate, but it's decent enough.
  • The helmet-enemies don't make much sense to me. Shouldn't they be ships themselves?
  • You (the player) move like you're geriatric. I'd double the ship's speed - at least.
  • I'd like a better goal than "shoot 15 enemies" or "get hit 10 times". But I suppose that's already in the works.
  • The red lettering in the end screen doesn't really stand out against the Matrix-text background. Maybe dull the background down?

OP

Lurker
Reputation score

As far as sprites and music go they can always be replaced by something more context sensitive. This project is just to get an A on the programming side really... As far as the ship speed which controls are you using? XBOX or KeyBoard? and I have an update to the game which I'm uploading now.

edit: uploaded

Last edited:
OP

Lurker
Reputation score

Bumping this for great justice. I need more willing beta testers to give me their opins of the game before I take Advanced game programming in the fall.

OP

Lurker
Reputation score

I am resuming work on this and have updated the first post with a new link. Please guys help me make my game a good one.