What's new

Ammunition Safety/Intelligence

Re: Ammunition Safety/Intelligence

The Canadian Forces started making many of their C7s ambidextrous a few years back. The firing selector switch is on both sides, so is the magazine release. The ejection port (right), bolt release (left), and forward assistance catch (right) are still on one side though.

some of my terms are a bit off there. Never really memorized them after Infantry training. Never really needed to.

Heh, yeah, the designs now a days are tending towards everything being ambidextrous. The primary concern is that the casing not be ejected right into the shooter's face. That was actually a plot point in a recent murder myster my sister was watching. A woman a "curling iron burn", but it turned out it was from when she shot someone, being a lefty the hot shell caught her as it was being ejected.

It's where guns like the AUG and P90 are doing it right. The AUG being fully reversible with a quick bit of work inside, and the P90 being genuinely ambidextrous, not even needing any maintenance or conversions. Cases eject out the bottom, fire select is central under trigger, cocking handle is on both sides. It even has two auxiliary iron sights, one on either side of the main optic. A well trained shooter could potentially swap firing positions between left and right to better navigate and fight in confined spaces.

The P90 is awsome. Hell, its one of the few guns where going akimbo might actually be a valid tactic, the recoil being very low.

Damn right it is. I loves my P90. ^_^

And actually, I have myself tried going akimbo with them too (talking airsoft here of course), it did actually work ok up to the point I ran out of ammo. Compared to pistols, they're an awkward gun to reload without proper use of both hands.

Question for you gun enthusiasts (I've shot some but don't really know enough about pistols to know the answer to this)

If you've seen the movie "Kick-Ass," you probably remember the scene where the little girl takes on an entire hallway of about 10 guys, head on, and wins. During the short little fight, she runs out of ammo in both of her pistols. She ejects both clips (standard), reaches down to her belt, somehow tosses both clips up in the air, and using momentum, loads them into her weapons without ever taking her hands off. It happens between 1:35:40 and 1:35:43, if you happen to have the movie on your hard drive.

I'm pretty confident you can't immediately start shooting after doing that, since you need to chamber a round after you run out of ammo. Or is it possible to keep the last round in the chamber, eject the clip and reload, then continue firing?

My main question though is this... it's probably just Hollywood bullshit, but is this at all possible? Can you load a clip just by using momentum, or is there some sort of action you have to take with your hands?

Because if it is theoretically possible... that's fuckin cool.

Question for you gun enthusiasts (I've shot some but don't really know enough about pistols to know the answer to this)

If you've seen the movie "Kick-Ass," you probably remember the scene where the little girl takes on an entire hallway of about 10 guys, head on, and wins. During the short little fight, she runs out of ammo in both of her pistols. She ejects both clips (standard), reaches down to her belt, somehow tosses both clips up in the air, and using momentum, loads them into her weapons without ever taking her hands off. It happens between 1:35:40 and 1:35:43, if you happen to have the movie on your hard drive.

I'm pretty confident you can't immediately start shooting after doing that, since you need to chamber a round after you run out of ammo. Or is it possible to keep the last round in the chamber, eject the clip and reload, then continue firing?

My main question though is this... it's probably just Hollywood bullshit, but is this at all possible? Can you load a clip just by using momentum, or is there some sort of action you have to take with your hands?

Because if it is theoretically possible... that's fuckin cool.

Theoretically... sure I guess. It'd be fucking hard, but I suppose one could use momentum to get magazines into the housing. Really though, it's just Hollywood bullshit to look cool. And yes, one can keep the last round in the chamber, reload and continue firing. However, when a pistol magazine empties, the slide slams back. One then pushes the magazine into place and thumbs the lock for the slide, and the next round is chambered. One theoretically could dual wield pistols rather easily with this in mind.

Interesting tidbit on the 9mm hi-powered Browning pistol that's standard issue for Canadian forces. One can not squeeze the trigger if there is no magazine in the housing, even if there is a live round in the chamber. Most weapons are able to fire that round, the Canuck pistol however, has a safety mechanism preventing the hammer from hitting the round.

Also, with a bit of akimbo of my own on a range with the Browning that I mentioned earlier, I fired one weapon at a time. So I'd fire a magazine, holster it, and while firing the second weapon do a one handed reload in my holster. As the second gun went empty, I'd pull the first one out, thumb the lock and start firing again. Pretty fun, though not entirely practical.

I personally haven't akimboed any real guns, but did use both player slots on an arcade game with one controler per hand. Got the high score, but that may have had more to do with the fact that I was the only one that understood it was possible to take cover in that game.

I tend to steer clear of it for the recoil issues. I can't believe I didn't think of the reload issue on the P90 before now. Oh well, with 100 bullets, why would you need to reload :D

Time crisis?

I still maintain that my favorite arcade moment was playing 2 and 3 at the same time and adjacent arcade consoles.

I dunno, it was like 3 years ago at a Cici's in a town 75 miles away, only time I've ever been there. All I remember is both guns were on the same unit and you stepped on a petal to take cover. There were rolling barrels to either shoot or dodge. The enemies might have been generic home grown terrorists.

I dunno, it was like 3 years ago at a Cici's in a town 75 miles away, only time I've ever been there. All I remember is both guns were on the same unit and you stepped on a petal to take cover. There were rolling barrels to either shoot or dodge. The enemies might have been generic home grown terrorists.

Sound familiar to me. I remember playing this game that used the pedal cover system like Time Crisis, except it was your guy hiding behind a riot shield the whole time.

Could be Crisis Zone, was a spinoff that used a shield and a tmp.

Back