What's new

Can we get better topic categories or prefixes? (MODS AND ADMINS GET IN ERE)

Stiltzkinator

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score
Re: Can we get better topic categories or prefixes? (MODS AND ADMINS GET IN ERE)

A proper convention would also cut down on duplicate threads.
http://www.ulmf.org/bbs/showthread.php?t=23656

For the record, I'm not doing this to be smug or boastful, as I don't enjoy having my point proven quite like this.

One of the biggest issues we have is the size of our user base now. There's a lot of threads being posted, a lot of people coming and going to and form the forum, and just in general a lot of people involved. Lurkers are used to fishing for free links, while developers are wary of us for that exact same reason.

Maybe it would help if we could take a more consistent stance on what exactly this forum is for (and what it is not). I know a primary function of the Hentai Games forum here is for discussing games, but it's when we go beyond just discussing them that things get weird. Most games are posted with the implication that there is, or will be, if possible, a link to acquire the game provided. A number of people will come here from various parts of the internet/world looking for particular games, and if they don't find it, they may post a topic on it in hopes that a link will show up. Sometimes these threads begin as a fair discussion despite this intent, but other are clearly nothing more than a desperate request. We also enter some strange territories when it comes to game translations, particularly when done by members of this community, as it's difficult to provide an amateur translation without also including the original full game.

I don't point all of this out to condone or condemn it, but to critique it. What kind of forum should this ultimately be, and what kinds of people would we like to have posting, and what kinds of threads should they post?

*Personal Opinion Follows*
For my part, I would say the more informative and organized/standardized, the better. Since this is primarily an English language board, I think that any game which has an official English title, should be posted using that (English) title. Similarly, games that have Katakana titles which are meant to be English words or names, should use those intended English words as their title (e.g. "Iris Action", and NOT "アイリス☆アクション"). For those who discover a game and don't know how to read any Japanese, posting a Japanese title for a thread should be allowed, but the original poster should be willing to change the title later if someone is able to tell them what it translates to (though realistically speaking, anyone who has an interest in Japanese H-games should at LEAST learn katakana, it makes for a much better experience and isn't that difficult). Games named in full Japanese become harder to standardize, of course, but I personally think that if there is a fairly concise and accurate translate, we should use it. That said, if a thread has a an English title for a Japanese game, including the original Japanese name in the thread will help a competent poster find it with a search, and help avoid a small amount of duplicates (incompetent posters are beyond our help anyway). As for what else goes in a game's thread, I think the bare minimum of a game's description should include platform (PC disc, Flash, RPGMaker, Web/browser, Wolf, exe, etc) and gameplay type (action, RPG, puzzle, text+cgi), and when appropriate, any special interest the game caters to (vore, NTR, guro, loli; basically, anything that might turn away potential interest AND/OR anything restricted by the forum rules). Controls and walkthroughs are always handy, but this forum does a pretty good job of having those pop up pretty quickly if they are really required for a particular game.

All of the last paragraph is, as stated, just my personal opinion on a standardized approach to posting new games. However, I'm not in charge of this forum, so feel free to ignore it, condemn it, or even make some changes and use it yourself.

Going back to the original, slightly simpler issue at hand here, as hinted just above, I wonder if we have too many way of categorizing games to implement a new, single set of tag/categories. Discussing the problem is always easier than actually finding the solution.

StiffSponge

Banned
Reputation score
Re: Can we get better topic categories or prefixes? (MODS AND ADMINS GET IN ERE)

I'll just be "That guy" and toss in my 2 cents on this..

I think what most people hate about the tags is how horribly vague they are..

"It'd be easier if you had a tag for each genre"..

Running the simulations in my head, I understand why mods don't just do that..
It's not (only) because it's too finnicky or tedious.. It'd just cause a lot of heart-ache both for mods and users.. Confusion, debate on genre, and
other minor problems that could very easily snowball into a big sack
of shit plopped on a mod's lap.

The system we have right now works, but... Perhaps there should be a
2nd mandatory system the users must abide by, to help identify the games
in their threads..

Whilst making my "RoR Dictionary" I came up with a special system to discern
RoR games from one another in a very detailed manor..

This is the system I'm using in said dictionary.

Summary Guide======================================================================

Title: Will contain the name, and inform if the name is unofficial or unknown. (I may not have the highest version of this game, so if the description seems incomplete, it might be because of that)
Gameplay Mechanics: Will inform of the basic mechanics the game includes, from most to least prominent
Contents: Will inform of the game's content, beit different kinds of rape, or other features.
Genre: The genre/style of the game's theme.
Difficulty: On a scale of 1/10 of how hard it is to actually play through, or beat the game. (On lowest difficulty if possible)
Quality: On a scale of 1/10 how well the rape is.
Sound Quality: On a scale of 1/10 how well the quality of the sounds of rape are.
Music Quality: How good the background music is.

Gameplay Mechanics=============================================
Here are all the gameplay mechanics that can be contained in a game.
Red: A bad game quality. The more of these, the less interested you should be.
Olive: A contraversial/mixed game quality. Some don't care for it, some may love it.
Green: A neutral game quality. Nice to have, but isn't a mandatory/outstanding feature.
Blue: A good game quality. This can be the deal-breaker when playing.

Gameplay Mechanics
Demo: The game is either incomplete, or is a demo, in which case, I simply don't have the full version, or it doesn't exist.
No In-game Rape: The game contains no in-game rape.. Only In-game GOR
Fake-Rape: The contains no actuall rape, only groping/touching/Game over CG.
Fake-GOR: The game over screen contains a still image, as opposed to animated GOR.
Unpiratable: This game, or it's full-version counterpart, is currently unpiratable/unobtainable.
Broken Physics: This game glitched in ways that can make you instantly lose or be unable
to progress.
Full RPG Elements: The game contains heavy RPG elements, with a fully-structured leveling system, and sometimes even weaponry.
Furry: Game is comprised of furry-based hentai
Shota: Game contains shota
Loli: Game contains Loli
Beat-em-up: The game is fully built around fighting, acting as an arcade-style fighter game.
CG Gallery: Completed the game/challenges or cheating can unlock a CG gallery
Male Reverse Rape: The main (Male) character can, or must, rape the enemy.
Untranslated: The game is mainly in japanese, thus making it hard to find controls and keep interested in story-line, or progress.
Adjustable Difficulty: The game's difficulty can be adjusted.
Combat-based: The game is built around fighting, and the main method of progressing is killing the enemies, instead of avoiding them.
GOR: The game-over screen contains an animated game-over rape scene.
In-game GOR: The main character can still be raped even after they have fallen/died.
RPG Elements: The game contains some RPG elements or a basic upgrade/weapon pickup system.
Struggle-System: The game contains a button-mashing system to escape rapes/grapples.
Stage Select: The game contains selectable stages.
Bonus Features: The game contains extra features that alter the game, in it's options.
Orgasm Meter: The game contains an orgasm meter in addition/opposed to just a health bar.
Male Protagonist: The main character is male, and most rapes will involve the male being seduced.
Female Protagonist: The main character is female, and most rapes will involve.. Well, raping.
Multi-Rape: The game includes the feature of the main character being raped by multiple enemies at once.
Unlockable Gallery: Completing the game/challenges or cheating can unlock a rape-scene gallery
Cheats: The came contains cheat-codes to enable things like invulnerability and unlockables
Debug/Edit Mode: The game contains a way to edit the game itself to add monsters or other things to the game.
Large Enemy Variety: Game contains large variety of enemies that can rape you. (This only counts if the variety is larger than 5, this includes bosses)
Female Reverse Rape: The main character (female) can, or must, rape the enemy.

Contents===================================================
Here are all the contents in the game.

Female<Male Rape: Game contains female being raped by male, simple vaginal sex/rape.
Male<Female Rape: Game contains male being raped by female
Lesbian Rape: Game contains female-on-female rape/sex
Blowjobs: Game contains blowjobs
Boobjobs: Game contains Boobjobs
Footjobs: Game contains footjobs
Masturbation: Game contains main character masturbating.
Rubbing: Game contains sex via simple rubbing
Groping/Molesting: Game mainly contains groping or other such sexual actions
Tentacle Rape: Game contains rape from a tentacle/tentacle monster
Tentacle BJ: Game contains no female>Male BJs, but does contain Female>Tentacle BJs
Beastiality: Game contains rape via animal.
Succubuses: Game contains rape via succubus(es).
Robots: Game contains rape via androids/robotic monsters/cyborgs.
Monsters: Game contains rape via un-categoriseable generic/humanoid monsters. (mythical creatures, humanoid animals)
Slime: Game contains rape via slime monster
Zombies: Game contains zombies, and/or zombie rape
Blood: Game contains bloody violence.
====Sample==============================================
Title: Tifa Tan x2 [Unofficial Title] [File Title: tfx2]
Gameplay Mechanics:
Female Protagonist, Multi-rape, Large Enemy Variety, Stage Select, Struggle-System, Untranslated, Fake-Rape, Fake-GOR
Contents:
Groping/Molesting
Genre: Martial Arts
Difficulty: 4 (7 if you don't master controls/combos)
Quality: 4
Sound Quality: 7
Music Quality: 6
=========================================

Every RoR game in my collection, (And I'm pretty much got all the good ones
that've ever existed, and half of all the bad ones ever) will have this system
in my "RoR Dictionary".. Perhaps it could be adapted to the forum?..

Either way, just tossin' that in there..

SnakeInTheGrass

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Considering people, like myself, have particular tastes and only like certain things, I think sorting things into sub-forums (such as: RPG, Action, Puzzle, Simulation, Adventure, etc.) would allow people to more easily find what they're looking for and dissolve a lot of the unnecessary tab opening.

Edit: Color coding files doesn't help much when they're all in a big messy pile. (No offense when calling this beloved forum a messy pile.)

sgtbilco

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

I think what most people hate about the tags is how horribly vague they are..

"It'd be easier if you had a tag for each genre"..
I would disagree with that because I for one can't stand RPG games, therefore I'd like to look at everything but those, then from that point I would probably filter via a Fetish type. That seems to me like the way most reasonable people would search content. I get your point though its hard to nail down genre's within games since there are so many hybrids these days. Perhaps 'Studio' could also be a filterable type since that's a thing to some people.

Vinceras

Formerly Havokor
Reputation score

Honestly, like I've said before, putting the RPG-maker games in their own sub-forum would probably solve a lot of this.

It ticks me off when I click on a new thread that I haven't seen that has no tags up and no info on what type of game it is and I end up downloading an RPG-maker game demo. Half the time you can't even get any clarification on the dlsite page.

Kyrieru

Sensei
Reputation score

Let's see,

[ACT]
[RPG]
[Text] And possibly [VN]
[Other]

Honestly, I think that's all you really need. There are too many factors to have a full list of content related tags.

Even if you had something convoluted like [Action][Yuri][3d][Rape][CG] in the title, most users will still read the description and look at screenshots anyway, so what's the point?

Stiltzkinator

Reputation score

Let's see,

[ACT]
[RPG]
[Text] And possibly [VN]
[Other]

Honestly, I think that's all you really need. There are too many factors to have a full list of content related tags.

Even if you had something convoluted like [Action][Yuri][3d][Rape][CG] in the title, most users will still read the description and look at screenshots anyway, so what's the point?
This exactly. Tags can be helpful, but they can't tell the whole story. People will need to actually look at the topic to get a good idea of what a game is about. With that in mind, I don't think reworking or enforcing the tags would help much more than what it does now. I think better first posts would, though (and several people are already making excellent informative posts).

It's also worth mentioning that with the tags we have right now, one of them is RPGmaker, which tends to include Wolf. Thing is, not every game made with one of these tools is actually an RPG (in the turn-based battle sense at least). Some of them are actually top-down adventure games, more like a simulation, or even sometimes (very rarely) closer to a platformer. But it's hard to explain this in the title without making a mess of it.

I don't know if there's any way to enforce better, informative first posts in a topic, but is there any way we could allow editing those posts by other users who want to add useful information, like pictures, guides, and tips? Or any way we could have a mod to submit them to so they would add it in the appropriate thread (therefore preventing editing abuse)? Or a better option that doesn't result in more work for the mods?

Raaage

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Honestly, like I've said before, putting the RPG-maker games in their own sub-forum would probably solve a lot of this.

It ticks me off when I click on a new thread that I haven't seen that has no tags up and no info on what type of game it is and I end up downloading an RPG-maker game demo. Half the time you can't even get any clarification on the dlsite page.
Same for me. I'm not really a big fan of RPG maker games so checking out a game then finding out it's an RPG maker game greatly disappoints me.

OP
C

Coo

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Seconded.

There's nothing we've done as mods that has ever been NOT ignored by a good chunk of the posting public.

Though I have ran myself through a couple of ideas on how to put people through simpler sharing. I just don't know if any of it is possible to do.
The thing is that: people are lazy. That's why you need to give them a push.

Currently, a prefix has to be selected in order to create a thread. Lazy people will just be like oh, I'll just select "full game" because it covers everything. If you just simply removed the vague ones such as full game and replaced them with basic or broad genre options (as suggested before) then they'd be forced to pick a basic genre type. Which already is a lot of an improvement over "full game".

I mean, people can add tags into topic title if they want to, but most people aren't going to. But if you suddenly have the "pick a genre" stuck there when creating a thread then people would probably pick the one they think fits the game best and I think that most people would agree that telling what kind of a game it is is better than if it's "complete" or not.

textbook703

Reputation score

I'm bumping this purely because it's so obvious that I'm shocked it didn't happen sooner.

At the VERY LEAST, mods should punish people who post "hey chek out this gam3 guyz www.tinyurl.com/china.hac.ks" with zero description of the game, zero keywords used, and zero credibility.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

We wait a few days to see if the thread gets any relevant info, otherwise we delete them.

elfloren

Tentacle God
Reputation score

This idea is really good, seeing as 1/3 or even half of every page is filled with RPG-maker threads.

B00marrows

Tentacle God
Reputation score

This idea is really good, seeing as 1/3 or even half of every page is filled with RPG-maker threads.
what about unfinished games?