What's new

Countdown from 1,000,000

Stuffie

TouchFluffyEars
Reputation score
959 057

I still think that in terms of gameplay, content and item/character builds, DS2 SotFS has the most to offer. That's probably why I have most of my hours in DS2.
I did like Nioh too, pretty hard sometimes, but the setting and visuals were quite pretty. Too bad multiplayer, coop in specific, is dead. :/

Lv1VillagerA

Lurker
Reputation score
959 056

I'm really not a fan of die and retry and farming. I appreciate it when bosses are difficult but fair with a timing you have a chance to learn mid-fight and a weakness you don't have have to discover by chance. Some DS bosses are broken but some others are really fair, like these guys in DS3:

Obvious strategy is obvious :3 (Abyss Watcher--clone guy)

A mix between strategy and panic. (Pontiff with Russian name)

As for Dark Souls-like, they are unfortunately too much like Dark Souls and haven't really improved the formula IMO. Nioh had the opportunity but the builds are completely and the levels are too much of a cheat. If think they should drop most RPG elements because in RPG get good = farm.

As for the online content I sort of missed it due to poor internet connection so no PK in DS nor Nioh for me :(
That may be why I think DS is overrated.

Byzantine2014

Tentacle God
Reputation score
959 055

Pontiff -->easier than pontiff knights :confused:

There are a couple of interesting dark souls-like sidescrollers out there... but they don't entirely get it right, yea. The new DS-like, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, seems like it could be good, a lot of new mechanics involved. Two lives alleviate unfair moves a bit lol

Stuffie

TouchFluffyEars
Reputation score
959 054

*some innocent advertising for *

After finishing DS2, and while waiting for DS3 to be on sale, I tried "Salt and Sanctuary", which was supposed to be a "Dark Souls sidescroller" like Byz mentioned. But sadly, a sidescroller just isn't the same, and the game became very frustrating to me, plus the artstyle wasn't my thing at times. So I abandoned that game, and haven't touched another sidescroller with DS in mind since. Even though apparently, there are some good ones out there by now.

Nioh, I keep telling myself to play again. Like I said, I enjoyed it, but my biggest issue was the same as any other Souls-like (Dragon's Dogma etc.): The controls. DS' control style is burnt into my brains forever, and everytime I pick up Nioh or some other 3rd person game, I can't help but constantly push the wrong buttons for the first two or three hours. ^^;

I was going to invade Mind Flayer in his DS3 stream again, but that pu**y is actually playing in offline mode. XD

Regarding Sekiro, I think I already mentioned that I will not pre-order it, but keep an eye on it instead, because after DS3, I feel like speed is getting out of hand with every new game, and at some point my reactions might be just too bad to advance and enjoy the game. We'll see.

Lv1VillagerA

Lurker
Reputation score
959 053

"Dark Souls Virgin" -> Stuffie hunting instincts triggered -> butthurt Mind Flayer ?

As for the ultimate DS boss I'll join the consensus and say it's gravity.
I learned to watch out when the elevator doors open.

Stuffie

TouchFluffyEars
Reputation score
959 049

I played Bloodborne last New Year's Eve at my co-worker's place (best way to celebrate :p), since I don't own a PS4. Jesus Christ Almighty, if you've never played Dark Souls before, that game truly tests your reflexes and screws you up right from the start! I admit I didn't play too far (defeated "Father Gasoline" - without some musicbox I was supposed to pick up), but for a newcomer to the series, this must be sooooo difficult, if you're not used to fast-paced combat!

DS2 was pretty balanced in terms of speed I think, plus all the weapons and infusions for them give you tons of room to do interesting and/or weird characters. Me, I now pretty much RP any character I play. Starting from the name to the armor I use, to the weapons etc.
@Mind Flayer made fun of me when I dueled him, wielding a sabre and a notched whip. But that bleed damage he suffered from my attacks would've killed him early on, if he didn't heal with Estus - I think - thrice. ^^

Last edited:

Stuffie

TouchFluffyEars
Reputation score
959 044

If you notice that your speed can't hold up all too well with DS3, DS2 will definitely be more enjoyable, and not necessarily easier. Especially the last two DLC areas will put your character and your skills to the test, because time to f*ck around is over at that part.

DS2 lacks the "creativity" of DS1 and 3 though, as there are tons of humanoids in armor and less freaky creatures. Others also complain about the different areas not being that great, but I feel fine with them. As cancerous as Iron Keep can be, it looks awesome in my opinon. *strokes SirMalo*