What's new

RPG RPG Maker [dardamex] Duality [In Progress]

OP
D

dardamex

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
Re: Duality [In Progress]

So my thoughts on the game. I like the premise. I'm assuming no GOR is intentional, though I really expected it in the ogre fight. I am left wondering if all of the sex scenes are just going to happen or if there's going to be any player agency involved.
Most of the scenes from here on out will be optional. The reason why this part is so railroaded is to set-up and show how much the spell changed Nori and to make her just corrupt enough so that agreeing to go along with some of the earlier, optional scenes won't seem so out of place.

BF and GOR/bad ends are something I might add after I complete all the features and content I currently want to implement.

AllenAndArth

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

until the fight with the ogre...everything was normal...a bit easy though, but the damn ogre!

ZhouTai

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

I'll recommend the clothing destruction suggestion also. Western H-gamers love that theme more than the east

OP
D

dardamex

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

As I've said before, the poser program and character model I'm currently working with only has three states of dress: 1) normal/fully dressed, 2) breasts exposed, 3) completely nude. As such, I'm not sure how well clothing damaged would really turn out. That aside, I also plan on focusing on the content I want/already have planned for the game, then possibly adding in requests after I finish. Feature creep is damaging to the best of projects.

As for an update, right now I'm focusing on creating the maps for the city of Arcanum. The city is big and thus there are quite a few maps to it, so I probably won't be releasing a new content update particularly soon.

MetalDemon

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Lots of People said:
You should add clothing destruction.
I like clothing destruction as much as the next guy, but I don't think it's a good fit for this project.

Generally the point of a clothing destruction or BF system is to keep tits in the players face between events. This is best done with 2D sprites because drawing a new H-scene takes a lot of time, but modifying the clothing on a character is much easier, especially with Photoshop layers. The biggest downside here is all of the scripting needed to run the clothing system, as well as all the gating they need to do or alternate scenes they need to make sure that events and H-scenes don't have the wrong costume or level of clothing destruction on the player.

With that in mind, let's look at Duality, where the H-scenes are 3D rendered. Making a new scene is a lot easier than with spritework, and clothing destruction requires re-modeling/texturing the clothes in addition to all the scripting work that would be necessary for the system. Dardamex would be much better off just making more scenes to keep the level of H-content high than adding a complicated clothing destruction system.

glacier

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

As for an update, right now I'm focusing on creating the maps for the city of Arcanum. The city is big and thus there are quite a few maps to it, so I probably won't be releasing a new content update particularly soon.
Every time I see a reference to a city named Arcanum, I think of Tarant from Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura. :)

Good luck with the game!

OP
D

dardamex

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Every time I see a reference to a city named Arcanum, I think of Tarant from Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura. :)

Good luck with the game!
Ha, I absolutely love that game. One of the most reactive RPGs to ever exist. I was tempted to find a different name for the city so I wouldn't link my game to something so great.

OP
D

dardamex

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Alright, well I've decided to forgo creating Arcanum's maps via parallax mapping, which, for those of you wondering, is when you create a map in something like Photoshop tile by tile. This allows you to do basically anything you want with the maps visually speaking but takes a lot more time and effort.

The 'more time and effort' was the main problem. It was taking my inept self too long to create even the smallest of maps and they weren't quite turning out the way I wanted them. As such, I decided it wasn't worth the frustration. Another problem was that one of the main reasons why I wanted to do them that way is because I found some neat looking steampunk assets and wanted to use them (they aren't formatted for typical RPG Maker use). However, the more I thought about it the less sense it made that a city devoted mainly to magic would be scientifically advanced like that.

As such I've decided to create them the simple way in RPG Maker itself. I have a lot of tilesets I've found on the Internet over the years, so they should still look good, just not quite as good as I had originally hoped. More importantly for everyone reading this, it also means I'll be able to finish them up much more quickly.

Yet on that note, I must reiterate something I said in my original post: I'm a fairly lazy person. I could go the usual route and claim I have a lot of school work and actual work work, which is true, but, like everyone that uses that excuse I still have a ton of free time over the week. That said, however, I only get the motivation to work on projects like this in random, short, almost manic bursts, so please -- for my sake and yours -- don't expect daily or even weekly updates.

DrJackel666

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Ok first off love the game and the story so far was kinda confused at the start but then worked out where you were going with it and it brought back my fond times with the old xchange h-games ..anyway I have not been a fan of rpg maker games due to most being jap but this had me hooked from start to finish in your trial.
Now what I'm hopeing is that you continue to let hiro and niro's feelings for one another grow. I love incest in games and xchange incest is so taboo I love it..also maybe you could as the game progresses have nori having conflicting emotions about changing back into a guy or staying as a girl even add in how nori is growing fond of hiro over time..anyway there just a few tips I may be new to the forum but no way new to hentai games so I look forward to where you go with your next update for this game!:D

Last edited:

NaoSoul

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Just finished the game and I gotta say, I was a bit weirded out by the art used in the scenes, since it isn't the usual, but it did grow on me and I ended up liking it more than I expected.

The combat was pretty balanced, if not a bit too easy since you heal immediately after combat, but I figured you must have done that on purpose since it is a Trial version and not the complete thing yet.

All in all, pretty great idea for the plot, nice art and balanced combat, this game is looking pretty good and I can't wait for the next part, well done OP.

As for my suggestion, giving a bit more of voice or choice for the character for the actions and reactions would be nice. Tho you probably already either got this suggestion or were planning to do it in the future =p

OP
D

dardamex

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

A bit of a long shot, but would anyone here happen to have any skill at texture editing? I'm not looking for anything major, I just want to edit the skin textures used for Hiro's CG character model. I'd like to kinda 'smooth' them out some, that is make them less muscular and the like, so that when I use Hiro's model for other characters (his is the only normal human one that the poser has) they won't all look like ripped, young guys.

DrJackel666

Demon Girl
Reputation score

human ..wow and here i thought they were some kind of elves due to the pointy ears ..:eek:

Darg777

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Did a quick play through of the game, and as far as I can tell there are no game-breaking bugs.
Art and story wise everything are pretty sound, nothing too boring for what it is.
Balancing seems alright, I battled every enemy I encountered from the start until the goblin boss, and overall I had little trouble.
I understand if the healing after every battle is part of the trial, but it really isn't necessary if you are intending to leave it in. Gathering every item on each screen gave me more than enough supplies to heal up, and I was left with an overabundance of such items upon the end of the first chapter.
The only complaints I have is that character animation takes a bit too long, particularly with the meal scene when the maid is handing out the food. Easy fix, and really is just nitpicking at this point.
Great work, hope you keep at it.

OP
D

dardamex

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Okay, I know it isn't much but here are some screens of Arcanum's completed maps.

Gate into the city:

Main Hub:

Item & Equipment Shop:

Blacksmith:

Pub:

Inn:

Inn 2nd Floor:

Reiko's House:

Reiko's House 2nd Floor:

It's nothing exciting, I know, but I wanted to show people I haven't been completely neglecting this game.

In Progress:
- Residential District
- Cloud District (includes mayor's mansion, city guard HQ, and bathhouse)
- Docks (includes its own seedier pub and a flophouse)
- Academy (and its inner maps)
- Administration District (includes military fort, guild HQ, and church)

DrJackel666

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Okay, I know it isn't much but here are some screens of Arcanum's completed maps.

Gate into the city:

Main Hub:

Item & Equipment Shop:

Blacksmith:

Pub:

Inn:

Inn 2nd Floor:

Reiko's House:

Reiko's House 2nd Floor:

It's nothing exciting, I know, but I wanted to show people I haven't been completely neglecting this game.

In Progress:
- Residential District
- Cloud District (includes mayor's mansion, city guard HQ, and bathhouse)
- Docks (includes its own seedier pub and a flophouse)
- Academy (and its inner maps)
- Administration District (includes military fort, guild HQ, and church)
looking good keep up the good work and thanx for the update I'll continue to wait knowing it's well worth it.

glacier

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

Nice maps. Do you remember where you got the different colors of wood floor?

OP
D

dardamex

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

I've been mucking about with RPG Maker so long that I've amassed quite a collection of tilesets from various forums and other games. I can't remember where I got them from but I can send you them if you want.