What's new

Deadliest warrior awesomeness

Bob

Lurker
Reputation score
with the first season coming to a close, and no guarantee of a second season, much less a speedy one, i would like to know people's opinions on this season, both the show in general, the fights in it, and disappointing fight outcomes, or boasting about your particular warrior favorite Pwning another, and, if a new season happens, make predictions/arguments about the fights that will be in the new season. so, let the discussions/arguments/flame wars begin!

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Deadliest warrior awesomeness

I enjoy the show, and they can do almost anything they want on account of the slim chance of any of these warriors ever actually meeting. I think that scenario the computer runs is decidedly not definitive; for example the spartan should never even have seen the ninja due to the way a ninja operates. The ninja should have had that match easily, except that they made it direct combat. I don't know how they factor terrain, the mentalities and tactics of the warriors, but it's TV and it's amusing so who cares.

aika

El Presidente
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

Being English, I have no idea what you're talking about. But simulating a ninja fighting a Spartan sounds awesome.

OP
Bob

Bob

Lurker
Reputation score

indeed newb, that's one of the reasons i thought the Shaolin would loose to the Maori, but they were right, in a real battle nothing the ninja could do would get through the spartan shields, though, you're also right, the ninja would've stealthed the spartan before the shield could've become a problem, and if he had been spotted, and failed to kill the spartan within a few quick attacks of being spotted he'd've run away, and come back and tried to stealth kill him again in his sleep or summit.

Lurker
Reputation score

Being English, I have no idea what you're talking about. But simulating a ninja fighting a Spartan sounds awesome.
It's a new show where they pick two combatants and simulate a battle to see who is *dramatic music here* the deadliest warrior. Simulation consists of weapons tests for various categories to test range, force of damage, etc. They put this information into a simulator and run the program 1000 times for statistical validity.

Match ups I've seen are:
Apache Indian vs Gladiator: Indian won due to superior range on most everything.
Ninja Vs Spartan: Spartan won because most of the ninja's kit was projectile, but the spartan had a four foot big shield.
Viking vs Samurai: I think samurai won, but the margin was extremely narrow.
Shaolin Monk vs Maori tribesman: Monk won, but as he's kind of a pacifist I don't know how deadly he'd be.
Shaka Zulu vs. William Wallace: Wallace won on account of steel weapons.
Pirate vs Knight: Pirate wins on account of guns.
And for groups with firearms on both sides they runs squad size simulations instead of individual battles.
Sicilian Mob vs Yakuza: Mob won on account of sheer brute force.
Spetsnaz vs Green Beret: Spetsnaz won by a small margin, because their knife was also a gun.
IRA vs Taliban: IRA wins because weapons are better suited for squad combat whereas the tali was kitted for surprise.

Link may or may not work outside of the states. Failing that, I'll check youtube.

Last edited:

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Edit: Sniped while typing, but I'm not taking stuff out.

Tis a show on one of our stations here in the States (SpikeTV for me). They pit various warriors from various time periods (Pirate, Spartan, viking, ninja, knight that I recall being mentioned. They also did Mafia vs. Yakuza, too), comparing (mostly) weapons and basic techniques as put forth by a pair of experts in the chosen combatants. Then they run them through, like, 1000 simulated battles on a computer to see who'd come out on top. The only one I saw was Knight vs. Pirate. It's interesting, as it goes into some combat tactics as well as discussing the efficiency of various weaponry of the age. I'll admit, watching a great sword cleave through a pig was fun. It's one of those shows that really makes you go "daaayam!" when you see things in action.

Toxic, as for the ninja v. Spartan fight, I'd be inclined to agree with them not taking the full range of tactics into effect (Look! Rice! - Tenchu) but as my friend explained to me, and as they said on the show, "The ninja has many ways to hurt the Spartan (glass in the eyes, I'm sure they did shuriken, the katana v. that phlanax shield) but the Spartan has many ways to kill the ninja." In a straight up fight, I can see the Spartan taking it. In a "Let's throw them in the woods and see who comes out alive" scenario, I'd definitely have to go ninja.

Kind of like how they ran the knight v. pirate fight that I watched. A mounted knight weilding a mace/morning star and *charging* a pirate with it would likely dome him so badly he wouldn't know which way was up. However, it essentially turned into someone bringing a gun to a knife fight, which gave the pirate the advantage and thus the win.

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

I enjoy the show, and they can do almost anything they want on account of the slim chance of any of these warriors ever actually meeting. I think that scenario the computer runs is decidedly not definitive; for example the spartan should never even have seen the ninja due to the way a ninja operates. The ninja should have had that match easily, except that they made it direct combat. I don't know how they factor terrain, the mentalities and tactics of the warriors, but it's TV and it's amusing so who cares.
Also note that the idea of a ninja as being a super-powered stealth warrior is much less accurate than Spartans as being the super soldier of their time. Half of what ninja's actually did was use gimmicks to look like they were better than they were. Spartans, however, were warriors from birth. For example, as part of their coming of age had to hunt down and kill a slave. And for the slave, winning was not only good, but it came with full citizenship if the spartan youth was killed.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Well, the ninja vs. Spartan thing is indeed an interesting argument, but going on to Knight vs. Pirate. I never see the shows because of whatever coming up, but did they specify what age the Knight was coming from, because they used guns too later on in the middle ages, and earlier in the middle ages pirates didn't have guns. Actually, a pirate is stereotyped as from the "Pirates of the Caribbean" age when they've been around since the begging of sea faring. So really, it is hard to match them.

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

Well, the ninja vs. Spartan thing is indeed an interesting argument, but going on to Knight vs. Pirate. I never see the shows because of whatever coming up, but did they specify what age the Knight was coming from, because they used guns too later on in the middle ages, and earlier in the middle ages pirates didn't have guns. Actually, a pirate is stereotyped as from the "Pirates of the Caribbean" age when they've been around since the begging of sea faring. So really, it is hard to match them.
What about Somalian pirates versus crusade age nights?

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

What about Somalian pirates versus crusade age nights?
This is my point. Somalians with motor boats and machine guns vs. guys with crossbows and swords. If you are defending the show however, we can easily swing the other way and say late Middle Ages knights with pistols and rifles against pirates of the Grecian age.

OP
Bob

Bob

Lurker
Reputation score

feel free to make up fights if you want to, and argue out who you think would win in them, please keep it to RL warriors, no iron man vrs. buggs bunny

Lurker
Reputation score

I just have to wonder how long it will take them to get to pirate vs ninja.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Only if they then allow giant robots.

OP
Bob

Bob

Lurker
Reputation score

lol, sadly newb i don't think that would happen, they'd get flamed to death, and ruin so many fun events online and IRL.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Who won Taliban vs. IRA

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Whoa... wait they do? Which ones?

Lurker
Reputation score

The way they pick weapons is by category: Close range, mid-range, and long range, plus explosives and a category for special weapons, which is anything that doesn't qualify or is extra. They test the weapons as noted above and run the info. Tali had AK-47 as their long, RPG for mid, AK bayonet for close, and PMD mine( I think) for explosive. IRA had AR-15 rifle for long, flamethrower for mid, slingshot for close, and a home made bomb comprised of high explosive and nails that could be detonated by remote. The nail bomb seems to be what made the difference as it didn't have to be buried in advance to work. The margin was close, about 30 fights difference between the two.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Interesting... but many of the Taliban's IED's don't have to be buried... plus they got a really nasty 82mm recoiless rifle that can take out armoured vehicles...
Also Taliban generally use AK-47 for short-long, RPGs mid-long, PKMs (machine guns) mid-long. And there are some Druganovs lurking out there.

I say that episode was flawed.

Lurker
Reputation score

I am sure anyone acquainted with the tools and tactics of any of these combatants could call bullshit on any or all of these episodes with relative ease. Like I said up top: It's TV, it amuses me, and I know the results are not relevant or likely even correct so there's no harm done.