What's new

Demonic revolution (RP Interest check)

IronAnt

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score
Alright, so...

I'm still something of a newbie here, and I can't do much math to save my life, however I've decided to try my hand at this anyways to see if I can't make it work.

So, let me briefly go over the concept of this game, and how it'd be played, and a few general ground rules I'd set up.

For anyone here who has played a SMT game, Shin Megami Tensei, this idea might sound familiar. The setting is modern day Earth. The world abruptly comes to an end, though not quite in the way people were expecting. Somehow, a rift that separates the realm of hell from earth has opened up. Demons flood in all over the world and begin to rape, pillage, kill, wreck. Civilization as we knew it was over.

God itself has turned its back to humanity, having decided to let it undergo its own destiny, but not before suddenly taking away every person under the age of 16 to what is essentially heaven. This is to explain why there aren't any children in the setting, and lets me get away with saying nobody underage had to be raped or killed without completely ignoring the issue. Maybe even all the very faithfully religious are gone too. Regardless, after that point, mankind and "heaven" were done with each other.

This is about all I've worked out, there is still a lot I want to think about and figure out.

Characters will be able to play normal humans from about any background they could want. Typical classes, like fighters, thieves, and mages would be available. Ones power comes from their amount of mana, this goes for all classes. I'm thinking any mana you win from beating up bad guys could be used to increase the strength of your body, your mind, upgrade certain spells or magically learn new ones, increase how many spells you can cast in a day, ect.

A fun part of this is that any demons a player beats will get to become said players familiar to control and boss around. For example, random girl that fights with a sword runs into... This.

That demon wants to rape her for her magical energy!
Sword girl doesn't want to be raped!
Sword girl beats the hell out of that demon!
Sword girl has the option of essentially making that demon her slave, bonding their souls and turning the demon into her familiar, or killing it for more "mana" (or experience points)

Players would get up to two demons, I'm thinking. As far as the kinds of demons go, I'd have a wide enough variety of actually humanoid looking ones, and ones that actually look like monsters.

I'd allow male and female characters, and...

I'm rambling far too much now. So...

tl;dr An rp where people fight demons in a fucked over modern day earth With a potentially too inexperienced, possibly incompetent GM who has no idea how he'll make firearms work.

Who here is interested?

One last thing, I'd like to keep the number of players in the single digits if possible. An extra GM or two would be really swell as well. I'm sure I'll need help.

Guan Yu

GAUN
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score
Re: Demonic revolution (RP Interest check)

Varying degrees of interest

Hafnium

Despair Fetishist
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Interest shown! Must murder all of the demons for their delicious mana! >:3

Setting seems fun. I obviously can't comment on the specifics of the system yet but I like where you're going with the ideas.

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

A modern setting may be fun, I'm in!

OP
IronAnt

IronAnt

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Well, before I go pass out for several hours, I've come to comment that I seem to be gathering a bit of interest for this, and that's great.

To comment on a system, I'm considering either the one used for the EGG or Dark Gate. I'm open to any ideas however.

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

Hrm... =.=

I do like SMT games... tentetive interest shown as this stage.

Farren

Cthulhu
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Potential interest as I do quite enjoy the SMT games. Looking forward to seeing more of the system details.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

me too

OP
IronAnt

IronAnt

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Hm, this all seems very good. The door is open for a few more people. Any more takers?

I've decided to use the Dark Gate system for this as well, with modifications to it, of course. It's very familiar to most everyone here, and I think it would work well. so it has to pluses going for it.

Kathy

Lurker
Reputation score

tl;dr An rp where people fight demons in a fucked over modern day earth With a potentially too inexperienced, possibly incompetent GM who has no idea how he'll make firearms work.

Who here is interested?

One last thing, I'd like to keep the number of players in the single digits if possible. An extra GM or two would be really swell as well. I'm sure I'll need help.
Some interest, but also some advice.

Since you've set the world up that magic is everywhere and absorbing magic makes you stronger, it's a very easy task to allow firearms to exist in early stages on par with a sword. The firearms themselves are 'weak' due to their lack of magical power, anyone attempting to use firearms beyond fighting the wimpiest of enemies would need to learn to focus their magic through the bullet being fired before it becomes a useful weapon against magical creatures.

This also renders players who desire to fight unarmed (fist fighters) to stand on equal footing against magical creatures.

The only worry is humans fighting humans, which can soon be wiped away as humans will quickly develop magical talents through what they've absorbed, giving them similar qualities as the demons themselves, including a partial immunity to standard human weapons.

:p

Creative GMs can get around any limitations!

OP
IronAnt

IronAnt

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Some interest, but also some advice.

Since you've set the world up that magic is everywhere and absorbing magic makes you stronger, it's a very easy task to allow firearms to exist in early stages on par with a sword. The firearms themselves are 'weak' due to their lack of magical power, anyone attempting to use firearms beyond fighting the wimpiest of enemies would need to learn to focus their magic through the bullet being fired before it becomes a useful weapon against magical creatures.

This also renders players who desire to fight unarmed (fist fighters) to stand on equal footing against magical creatures.

The only worry is humans fighting humans, which can soon be wiped away as humans will quickly develop magical talents through what they've absorbed, giving them similar qualities as the demons themselves, including a partial immunity to standard human weapons.

:p

Creative GMs can get around any limitations!

I like that idea, thank you. I'll try to be as creative as I can as I develop this.

Oh, I know, what if they could focus as much magical energy as they wanted into a single bullet as they went up in power, but the limit was their amount of MP? That also has the drawback of depleting all of your energy into a single shot.

Humans fighting one another I don't see as a very big problem at least outright.

In other news, I'm going to be PMing everyone a small survey soon! Just so I can hear the kind of things you'd like to see, since I'd like to curve this to the players enjoyment.

Hafnium

Despair Fetishist
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Humans fighting one another I don't see as a very big problem at least outright.
You might be surprised at the amount of stupid things a player will attempt to do to a friendly NPC for no explicable reason. >.>

If it's in the game and has stats (sometimes even if it doesn't have stats), some player will attempt to fight it. Even in cases where "it" is an inanimate tree or a world-eating god.

GargantuaBlarg

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

You might be surprised at the amount of stupid things a player will attempt to do to a friendly NPC for no explicable reason. >.>
This, honk.

Also, I am slightly interested, but probably shouldn't. :V

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

So, uh...

Is anything happening with this?

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

Ant hasn't been online nearly since his last post. Give it some time, I say.