What's new

Dwarf fortress successiongame(Discussion and overview)

DeMatt

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Dwarf fortress successiongame

I'm seeing, at the top of that embark, a hills biome, does it have sand? It would be useful for the people that want to make something out of glass.
Yes, it has sand. No visible bauxite on this version, though.
I poked around with Reveal some. It does have a couple bauxite deposits. But metal-wise, it's a bit more limited. No gold, only tiny deposits of platinum, a few veins of hematite, one garnierite vein, and a few sphalerite veins. Quite a bit of galena and cassiterite, though.
Hum, I noticed that the sitefinder could find another site, so I poked around on that world a bit more.

And found another site. This one doesn't have sand, but it's quite a bit flatter, and the magma pipe is visible from the outset.
This one seems to have a lot more metal. There's a magnetite cluster, there's gold veins, there's a LOT of tetrahedrite veins, there's some cobaltite veins, but there's no garnierite so no nickel. There's also a bottomless pit for additional fun - and easier site-finding (the first site didn't have a bottomless pit).

Last edited:

thetwo

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Hrm... I can't get this one to generate. Tried with all the info you gave on both 40d and 40d13.

Can you post the entire result of the worldgen export, including version number?

DeMatt

Lurker
Reputation score

Hrm... I can't get this one to generate. Tried with all the info you gave on both 40d and 40d13.

Can you post the entire result of the worldgen export, including version number?
Harrumph. In spoiler tags so it doesn't clog up the thread as much.
Code:
Created in DF v0.28.181.40d.

[WORLD_GEN]
	[TITLE:FANCY SITES]
	[SEED:2329363634]
	[HISTORY_SEED:2012167617]
	[NAME_SEED:4211866929]
	[DIM:129:129]
	[END_YEAR:140]
	[BEAST_END_YEAR:140:-1]
	[REVEAL_ALL_HISTORY:1]
	[CULL_HISTORICAL_FIGURES:0]
	[ELEVATION:1:400:401:401]
	[RAINFALL:0:100:200:200]
	[TEMPERATURE:25:75:200:200]
	[DRAINAGE:0:100:200:200]
	[VOLCANISM:0:100:200:200]
	[SAVAGERY:0:100:200:200]
	[ELEVATION_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
	[RAIN_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
	[DRAINAGE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
	[TEMPERATURE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
	[SAVAGERY_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
	[VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
	[GOOD_SQ_COUNTS:25:251:503]
	[EVIL_SQ_COUNTS:25:251:503]
	[PEAK_NUMBER_MIN:12]
	[OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:1]
	[VOLCANO_MIN:3]
	[REGION_COUNTS:SWAMP:260:1:1]
	[REGION_COUNTS:DESERT:260:1:1]
	[REGION_COUNTS:FOREST:1040:3:3]
	[REGION_COUNTS:MOUNTAINS:2080:2:2]
	[REGION_COUNTS:OCEAN:2080:1:1]
	[REGION_COUNTS:GLACIER:0:0:0]
	[REGION_COUNTS:TUNDRA:0:0:0]
	[REGION_COUNTS:GRASSLAND:2080:3:3]
	[REGION_COUNTS:HILLS:2080:3:3]
	[EROSION_CYCLE_COUNT:250]
	[RIVER_MINS:100:100]
	[PERIODICALLY_ERODE_EXTREMES:1]
	[OROGRAPHIC_PRECIPITATION:1]
	[SUBREGION_MAX:2750]
	[CAVE_MIN_SIZE:5]
	[CAVE_MAX_SIZE:25]
	[MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:25]
	[NON_MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:50]
	[ALL_CAVES_VISIBLE:0]
	[SHOW_EMBARK_RIVER:2]
	[SHOW_EMBARK_POOL:2]
	[SHOW_EMBARK_M_POOL:2]
	[SHOW_EMBARK_M_PIPE:2]
	[SHOW_EMBARK_CHASM:2]
	[SHOW_EMBARK_PIT:2]
	[SHOW_EMBARK_OTHER:2]
	[SHOW_EMBARK_TUNNEL:2]
	[TOTAL_CIV_NUMBER:20]
	[TOTAL_CIV_POPULATION:20000]
	[PLAYABLE_CIVILIZATION_REQUIRED:1]
	[ELEVATION_RANGES:2080:4160:2080]
	[RAIN_RANGES:2080:4160:2080]
	[DRAINAGE_RANGES:2080:4160:2080]
	[SAVAGERY_RANGES:2080:4160:2080]
	[VOLCANISM_RANGES:2080:4160:2080
Basically, the only differences between this setup and the default MEDIUM setup is the end setting - no megabeast check, plus a hard limit at year 140 (the dragons started dying slightly later). I didn't do any fiddling with the other settings, not really knowing how those affect worldgen. It does spit out 9 rejects before hitting a valid map, though. I assume you could choose a random history seed if you didn't specifically want the two male and two female dragons roaming around, but I don't know whether year 140 would remain a good year to stop if you changed the history seed.

Last edited:

thetwo

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Right... so even with a copy of DF 40d fresh off the official site and that complete worldgen parameter set I get a different world. Bah, I've gotten people's seeds to work before so I don't know what's wrong now.

DeMatt

Lurker
Reputation score

Right... so even with a copy of DF 40d fresh off the official site and that complete worldgen parameter set I get a different world. Bah, I've gotten people's seeds to work before so I don't know what's wrong now.
Um... lemme think... you aren't on a Mac, are you? And you are getting the same world each time you generate with that seed, even if it's not the world I'm getting, right?

Or... maybe I described the differing feature as the wrong thing, and that's why the sitefinder's not finding the site.

Last edited:

thetwo

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Yep. Windows XP and consistent results. Just not yours. Make sure you have absolutely no mods?

Other then that the only thing I can think of is that for some reason different CPU's give different results. Which doesn't make any sense, since sharing seeds is supposed to work...

Wait, unless you're on XP 64 bit? Or an AMD processor instead of Intel?

Edit: Regarding your edit, I'm not getting the "world" map shown in any of the screenshots.

DeMatt

Lurker
Reputation score

Yep. Windows XP and consistent results. Just not yours. Make sure you have absolutely no mods?

Other then that the only thing I can think of is that for some reason different CPU's give different results. Which doesn't make any sense, since sharing seeds is supposed to work...

Wait, unless you're on XP 64 bit? Or an AMD processor instead of Intel?
... Intel Pentium 4, running XP Pro SP3. I just tried it now, with a fresh copy (mirror 4, if you must know), and it generated properly. Went into "Design New World With Parameters" and did the following:
  • move the selector to MEDIUM
  • press E
  • change "Use Seed" to "Yes"
  • change that seed to 2329363634
  • change "Use History Seed" to "Yes"
  • change THAT seed to 2012167617
  • change "End Year" to 140
  • change "Percentage Beasts Dead For Stoppage" to -1
  • change "Year to Begin Checking Megabeast Percentage" to 140
  • hit Space
  • hit Enter
  • hit Y
It rejects 9 worlds, then displays one with a small patch of mountains in the lower-right corner and a small patch of... I guess sand... just adjacent to it, before running rivers and spooling through the civilizations.

thetwo

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Ok, I found the problem.

Code:
Became

And the smiley disappeared when I copied/pasted without putting the "D" and ":" back in. And when you just gave the relevant info I interpreted it as "start checking megabeasts at 140" and "0% megabeasts dead for stopage" instead of "end year 140" and "-1% megabeasts dead for stopage". Or mistyped the seed.

Last edited:

DeMatt

Lurker
Reputation score

Bloody-
Code:
:o:confused:;):):D
Serves me right for not looking closer at the BBCode I'm using.

thetwo

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Well to be fair if all was right with the world, there would be a bbcode tag that let you strip bbcode from part of your post, as the "<nowiki>" tag for wikipedia. Also, strike-though (stricken text). But that's a different issue.

OP
XSI

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

May I suggest you just upload the region folder like I did? All we need to do then is to place it in our saves, and we can look at anything we want there, the embark, the civilisations, and the whole legends mode.

Edit: I also suggest we use to show off our projects.

Last edited:

DeMatt

Lurker
Reputation score

May I suggest you just upload the region folder like I did? All we need to do then is to place it in our saves, and we can look at anything we want there, the embark, the civilisations, and the whole legends mode.
Sure, that makes sense for when we're actually transferring the fortress saves around, but right now, when we're trying to decide on a world to play on, and tossing multiple worlds back and forth, that gets to be a lot of data very quickly. Yeah, genning takes time. Does one worldgen take as much time as uploading and downloading one save?

Edit: I also suggest we use to show off our projects.
...That requires a decent video card to work. I'm afraid my computer, while it's got a decent CPU, has only an Intel onboard graphics chipset - which, while better than the old VESA SVGA cards, isn't anywhere near what that demands.

Which makes it quite appropriate for running DF, by the way.

OP
XSI

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Does one worldgen take as much time as uploading and downloading one save?
To me, yes, but that's because I got fast internet.
However, there is the part of it being a medium world, so I guess that would take a minute, maybe 2 at most.

Anyway, after genning the world, I'd say that site is very interesting, there is granite, and gabbro, which is rare to find together in a single embark site, some sand, medium hilly, so that's might give minor problem with some projects..Seems like an ok site.

Edit: Wow, I just genned an awesome world, in the center of the world is a huge mountain, on top of which is a sea, in the middle of that sea is an island, and in that island is another sea. In that sea is yet another island, which consists of mountains alone.

The outer island is actually connected to the outside world by road, as a long road connects 3 dwarven strongholds together, one near the island, one at the middle of the road, and one on the outer parts of the mountain.

Besides that, you can get high mountains and sea tiles in the same embark, and there are places where you can embark that has every single tile of your embark in 20+cliffs.

Edit2: screwing with the finder, sadly, I can't find us a good spot here with 5x5 size including what we wanted, too bad.

edit 3:

In hindsight, another reason to huge embark sizes, 5x5 embark sizes seems to be impossible for the finder to find, it's always just a partial match. -I've never had any issues finding embarks before this. (I might also just have a bad world genning streak)

Last edited:

DeMatt

Lurker
Reputation score

Anyway, after genning the world, I'd say that site is very interesting, there is granite, and gabbro, which is rare to find together in a single embark site, some sand, medium hilly, so that's might give minor problem with some projects..Seems like an ok site.
Well... I like it, XSI likes it, how about you guys? Thetwo? Host? Garfield?

Edit: Wow, I just genned an awesome world, in the center of the world is a huge mountain, on top of which is a sea, in the middle of that sea is an island, and in that island is another sea. In that sea is yet another island, which consists of mountains alone.
I'll confess to idle curiousity, and ask you to post up the seeds/size info.

thetwo

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Hrm... on the first one you found in that world I bemoan the tiny amount of sedimentary rock. Not that finding magma and HFS in the same embark as sedimentary is easy, but still. Also very hilly, with the river below all the soil.

The second one seems to be flat and also short on sedimentary layers, but additionally short on soil/trees. Do like the pit you claim it has, though - I like to dump stuff in there (trash and/or waterfall output).

However... it's 4x6. 4x7 isn't too bad, and doubles the soil/trees/sediment. And if you can actually shift it one south instead of stretching it, go for it.

We still end up without sand... (unless you edit the raws to make "sandy XXXX" count as sand) but honestly I've never done anything with sand except fulfill noble demands. And we have lava on this map to 'fulfill noble demands'. :p

OP
XSI

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

We still end up without sand. (...)
Actually, when a towercap is cut down, it leaves a tile of sand behind, or so I heard. And another method to make your own sand is to make staircases, and remove those, which may create a sand tile at the location of the staircase.
Both of these seem exploit-y, but they can both be explained good enough to use when absolutely needed.

Besides that, having a little more trees on a map never hurts anyone..Except the elves, they tend to get butthurt.

Anyway, I'd say that's a good site to play on.

As for the seeds to the world I genned, sorry, no idea how to get those as I kept genning more worlds after it, but I can upload the save(nothing happened there yet besides using the finder), it's a very interesting place to see.

garfield751

Lurker
Reputation score

looks good so far but right now im just itiching for this to start so im ok with almost anyhting Except aquafars i hate those things

DeMatt

Lurker
Reputation score

As for the seeds to the world I genned, sorry, no idea how to get those as I kept genning more worlds after it, but I can upload the save(nothing happened there yet besides using the finder), it's a very interesting place to see.
At the tail-end of worldgen, pressing P before you hit Enter to accept it causes the game to export the worldgen info, among other things.

If you're already past that, opening a game in Legends mode lets you do the same thing - just press P. In both cases it'll spit out a parameters text file, a history text file, a sites text file, and a map bitmap image. The seeds are located at the beginning of the parameters text file.