What's new

Dwarf fortress successiongame(Discussion and overview)

garfield751

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Dwarf fortress successiongame(Discussion and overview)

im haveing trouble downloading it can you upload it somewhere else?

thetwo

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

work any better?

garfield751

Lurker
Reputation score

yea thanks. my internets have been really crappy lately

garfield751

Lurker
Reputation score

Host your turn good luck

thetwo

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

What's with the "put a floodgate between the brook and your well" thing? XSI and garfield both did it, and neither of their designs were going to flood... and I've had *way* more interesting waterworks without leaving a floodgate in place and up most of the time. (Like a waterfall down 10 z levels into a populated dining room, and then a well in the room itself. I'll admit I stick a floodgate up near the brook when I remember to, in case I ever want to modify the thing, but the well has never been closed off from the flow.)

Is it just paranoia, or a holdover from behavior in previous versions?

DeMatt

Lurker
Reputation score

I haven't looked at any of the saves, so... do they put up bars or a grate to keep creatures out of the well? That could be why there's a floodgate in there.

Me, the one time I built a well, it was maybe a tad overengineered. A grate to filter things out. One pressure-plate-controlled reservoir to absorb pressure. And then the well reservoir tapped off the first reservoir with its own pressure-plate control. And was big enough that I placed wells on three levels.

Since I didn't build farther, that's as far as it went. But I was planning to tap off that first reservoir several times, for wells in different locations.

OP
XSI

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

What's with the "put a floodgate between the brook and your well" thing? XSI and garfield both did it, and neither of their designs were going to flood... and I've had *way* more interesting waterworks without leaving a floodgate in place and up most of the time. (Like a waterfall down 10 z levels into a populated dining room, and then a well in the room itself. I'll admit I stick a floodgate up near the brook when I remember to, in case I ever want to modify the thing, but the well has never been closed off from the flow.)

Is it just paranoia, or a holdover from behavior in previous versions?

Actually, I had it in there because it just looks good.

Just kidding, paranoia, lots and lots of paranoia, I'm good at the paranoid thing.

Besides that, sad to hear about the dragon's death, I should probably have fixed up 2 cage traps while working with the initial mechanisms.

thetwo

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I haven't looked at any of the saves, so... do they put up bars or a grate to keep creatures out of the well? That could be why there's a floodgate in there.
Nope. It was a floodgate in both cases. And it's a brook, not a river, so the only thing in there are vermin. Vermin fish, of course, don't actually do anything except get fished for.

Besides that, sad to hear about the dragon's death, I should probably have fixed up 2 cage traps while working with the initial mechanisms.
Heh, I think I even left a couple cages...

DeMatt

Lurker
Reputation score

Notice: Have been banned from using my home PC for staying up most of the night posting. Thankfully the uni computers aren't my home computer, neyh neyh neyh. Time limit of one week from today.
... I just realized we might be waiting a while for Host to do his turn. I doubt he'll be able to run DF on a public computer.

OP
XSI

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Not a problem, turn length is 1 week standard I guess, and if it's really needed, we can give him extra time. Alternatively, we can continue on if he can't make it and he can have his turn when he gets back.(Right after whoever is playing then)

garfield751

Lurker
Reputation score

the floodgate was to keep the water in the well so that i can drain the river but i ran out of time to complete the machene to drain it.

Host

Lurker
Reputation score

... I just realized we might be waiting a while for Host to do his turn. I doubt he'll be able to run DF on a public computer.

Actually I can, the problem is finding enough time to play Dwarf fortress. I'm only here for 2-3 hours most days, all of which I'm using up on general forum stuff and roleplays. Tuesday, though, I'm here for ages.

garfield751

Lurker
Reputation score

if my turn comes up before the 17th just skip me.

Host

Lurker
Reputation score

The save cannot be extracted by the crappy unzip available at uni.
Also, this is the only day in this week I'm able to be at uni for any great length of time, so it'll probably be better to skip my turn.

the_taken

King of the Impossible
Reputation score

Guess that means me then.

I'll have a post or something in a few days. I'm tonight's household cook, and I've got a seminar to go to tomorrow, so I won't be able to complete my turn in one session.

garfield751

Lurker
Reputation score

dont worry i wasnt able to complete on one session too. mostly because i had to write the journal while i was playing

OP
XSI

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Updated first post to include it being the_taken's turn, good luck.

Host, whenever you feel like you can do your turn, just post it and we can put you between the turn that's happening and the one after that, seems fair to me.

the_taken

King of the Impossible
Reputation score

Third year fortress and it's already a barony! And somebody keeps pestering me fore fine pewter items!

Edit-> Please don't skip my turn. I know I'm taking my time, but I have a lot of stuff going on right now. I will finish it soon, I promise.

Last edited:
OP
XSI

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Just posting to make sure people don't forget about this, also, it's a busy time of the year with schools starting and things happening, so it makes sense if someone takes a bit longer.

DeMatt

Lurker
Reputation score

I haven't forgotten.

*does the ants-in-his-pants dance*