What's new

EA Origin

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score
Re: EA Origin

For every one who boycotts, there are how many more who'll just do it?

They "completely ruined" Sims 3 with the changes they made to things which broke the modding community they had for it. Was Sims 3 a massive failure, or did it still get plenty of purchases?

Nothing will change. Nothing ever does. And so the days of DLC whoring and fullprice games with 5 hours of gameplay continue and the games industry continues to spiral out of control.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

The problem is that EA slaps its logo onto everything it can, like a leech.

It's not hard to find a game without the EA logo on it, but there are a lot of good games out there whose devs use EA as their publisher.

It also doesn't help that EA has a strong foothold in the gaming industry. They've been around for quite a while.

So long as they have money, they'll do as they please with any title they can.

However, ever since that disastrous marketing campaign for Dead Space 2, I'm willing to bet that more and more people are keeping an eye on EA. The next huge wrong move they make might be EA's last. Though, I'd hope they'd have enough sense to just kick out the idiot(s) that got them into trouble and try to make a comeback. It'd be a shame to lose EA as a whole.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

If needbe, just resort to buying all your games hard-copy if needbe from EA. I have my copy of Spore laying around here somewhere for that reason. (expansions and all, I may add. Minus that cyborg part pack, because that promotion idea was a douch).

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

The later copies of Spore actually install Origin without asking you do you want it to. My sister bought it the other week and we had to manually search for the Spore folder because the installation didn't tell us the game was installed nor did it put up a shortcut/start bar folder.

And for EA, I've pretty much given up on their in house developed games because they're mostly casual game bullshit/copypasta sports games. That's not to say casual games can't be good because developers like Nintendo throw out awesome casual games like Mario Party and Warioware. EA on the other hand just churn out Sims after Sims after Sims with the obligatory 'expansion packs' that tack on a couple of reskinned items.

@Chibi; EA didn't develop the Dragon Age series, they only published it. Sure, they'll still see some of your money but the majority of it will go to Bioware. Same with the Mass Effect series. And with EA pulling games from Steam, I really hope they don't pull Dragon Age: Origins off there otherwise I'm going to be pissed. I don't want to lose access to a game that I've already paid for. Also, people shouldn't use Origin on the principle that EA reserve the right to stop people from downloading their games after a year. That kind of bullshit should never be allowed.

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

75% would be an exaggeration, but yeah, i can see it. Same kind of model as the music industry. The exact percentage would vary based on the developers draw power. Bioware would see a higher % because they'd have no trouble picking up another high profile dev if they left.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

these figures are slightly dated but previously game developers would see 10% of the gross. this model also generaly has the publisher as the main financer.

with steam its closer to 50%. however this model has games being financed in other ways.

Darmy647

Lurker
Reputation score

Dragon Age 2 is gone from steam...Crysis 2 is gone from Steam...EA has announced it wont likely allow Battlefield 3 to go to steam...God dammit EA, thats un-cool =/

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

Dragon Age 2 is gone from steam...Crysis 2 is gone from Steam...EA has announced it wont likely allow Battlefield 3 to go to steam...God dammit EA, thats un-cool =/
However 'un-cool' it is, EA now has their own Digital Distribution platform that they have to promote. All of those titles it pulled are big name titles that they most likely hope will get people to use Origin.

Now, IF you can no longer play those games on Steam if you already bought it, and IF EA makes you buy it a second time on Origin if you want to play it without buying a hard copy, then yes, EA has done something VERY un-cool. They must be taught this will not be tolerated. Preferably in a manner that involves rusty sporks and curry.