What's new

Expedition to Castle Ravenloft - IC thread

OP
Corvinus

Corvinus

Reputation score
Ireena 2.png Ireena Kolyan, daughter of the late Burgomaster of Barovia

Ashlyn realizes drawing her weapon was a little premature. She gives it a practice swing, then re-sheaths it and checks the strap on her shield. "Need healing? You seemed to vault the barricade alright," She slaps Andur on the shoulder playfully, "I can heal you more tomorrow, once I've rested," Ismark seem eager to go, drinking impatiently from a wineskin. The half-elf girl inquires if she can come along, but Ashlyn urges her to return to her “family”, the chosen word sounds deliberate, and Kysha reluctantly accepts this.

The group of four, with Ishmark trailing behind, make their way over the barricade as the villagers begins to dismantle it. The streets are speckled with corpses, burned, pierced or just collapsed when the son was destroyed. Without the threat of undead, the mists do not seem so scary, though at one point a huddled shape emerges ahead, it turns out to be three of the renari wolves you first encounter, in fact one of them looks familiar, still injured by the indiscriminate purification. They snarl at you, looking up from the corpse they were feasting on, rotten flesh, hopefully they have a powerful digestive capabilities. Ashlyn bangs her sword on her shield and shouts, sending them running out of Barovia, back to the wilds. Halfway down the street Ashlyn pauses, taking a deep breathe, “I sense no undead. This street at least is clear,” she confirms.

Now the burgomaster's house emerges from the fog. An aged dilapidated mansion squats behind a rusting fence, but the gates have been twisted open – one lies torn from its hinges, while the other swings loosely in the slight wind, a irregular rhythm of screeching metal. The house is is marked by claws, scorch streaks and ominous strains. With the front door and every windows barricaded, it does not look inhabited, but Ismark steps forwards, “Ireena! The plague is over, the village is saved!”

Moment stretch out, and the man repeats his cry, and then you hear some banging and shuffling behind the door, which then creaks open. A young woman stand in the door, wearing a battered breastplate over a red shirt too fine to be used as an under-vest, complimented with a longsword that hangs from her belt. The family resemblance is there, dark brown hair, a strong face. She has a light touch of freckles, and a hint of blue in her steel-grey eyes. Hope claws at fatigue, like everyone in Barovia. “We are saved, you, you dealt with the undead? You have my deepest gratitude,” she pauses, smiling, unable to properly process this new information, then it hits her, “Father! We need to bury him now, he has waited long enough to enjoy the rest of proper grave. Can you help me carry the body? Come in, all of you,” she heads back into the mansion, past a old maid, down the corridor, bare stone, well cut, with some nice wall covers, weaves of faded brown, red and greys.

You are healed for 10 hitpoints by Ashlyn.

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Andur Estevan, The Unwilling Hero, Tag: DM, companionz Ac: 18, Buffs: -- HP: 47/71

"That's because I'm amazing. AAaah! OW! Not that shoulder... huh.. oh.. hey, actually.." He complained, before rolling it... "A little better.. anyway, this barricade wouldn't have stopped what we fought, trust me.
... but it'd not be enough to stop me, of course!"
He added. It was hard balancing his injured shoulder and his need to show off.. now of course, Ashlyn had just lost her companions, and she was older than him, but that just ment she needed comforting, and, well, he didn't mind experience, certainly...

Andur feels a little bad about the wolf, he is happy to admit.. he feels half-tempted to do a good deed, although the wolves feasting on a corpse has him hesitate.. this is far from the proud animals he knows. ... they'd have feasted on me the same.. or a villagers child. He decides.

Andur hesitated as they made their way towards the mansion. The mansion doesn't intimidate him.. the gates do. He hopes it was some sort of wagon-ramming accident...
no such luck it seems however, as they come upon the house that looked beaten up. Andur had never seen a house beaten up, but this was the proper description for it. Andur raised his brow and pondered if now was a good time to go patroul with Ashlyn... then again, he was a bit battered and it seemed the undead threat had truly ended with the son, .. meaning beyond the mystery of their invitation, and Ireena's issue, their duties were done.

Andur slightly salluted, before chuckling and stepping in, glancing over to Ismark. "Your sister is used to giving orders, hmn?" He chuckled briefly. He'd much rather see the remaining questions answered.. he never understood the need for ceremony and decorum. -Just burn them- That would ruin all necromancers days...

But of course, that wouldn't be much of a popular opinion, so he'd follow along... little more he could do, right now.

Devastator325

Reputation score
21790 Ela'nyya Aefnee'al, The Silver Arrow

Ela followed along quietly, instinctively reaching for her arrows and raising her bow when they come across the wolves, but tilts her head a bit confused and then she blushes in embarrassment when Ashlyn runs them off. "Stupid Ela, it was just wolves..." She muttered under her breath as they continued through the misty streets of Barovia.

She had much the same reaction as Andur when they came across the mansion, staring at the remains of the gate and the marks on the mansion itself, happy that whatever foul thing had done this damage doesn't appear to be here any longer.

She quickly followed Andur in after giving the daughter a curt nod, she had no qualms about helping bury the dead, but after that she had a few pressing questions she wanted to ask the girl. The mystery of these letters was troubling her greatly, being outwardly shown by the terse expression on her face.

Aenon

Reputation score
Miri Evenwood, the Helping Hand
HP: 22/38, AC 16 (Mage Armor), Passive Perception: 16
SP: 2/6 Spells: 1st Lvl: 2/4; 2nd Lvl: 1/3; 3rd Lvl: 0/3
Active Effects: Mage Armor, prone
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Miri would follow along, waiting to see what would happen. The daughter was older than what she would expect her to be, and she seemed to be more composed than what she expected her to be.

She looked around at the damages mansion...every house had been damaged. She should try to go around, and see if she could help the villagers mend some of the damages they had suffered.

For now, they would have to bury, or burn, their dead. It wasn't just the Burgomaster....there were more corpses than she could count...

OP
Corvinus

Corvinus

Reputation score
"I think she just wants...this matter over with," Ismark shrugs, following his sister into the house. The group of four is taken into a kitchen, the old maid close behind. "Agnes, no beer left, tea?" "Aye, there's some nettle and elderflower," "Perfect, make our guests a cup of those," in the coldroom next door is a tightly wrapped shape about the size of a human body, lavished with herbs. Ireena hugs her brother, only to look disappointed when Ismark retires to his studies, citing “I haven't had a moment to myself since the outbreak started,”

“I want my father buried in his rightful place, in the cemetery, but from what I gather, the villagers cannot help. I need someone to help me carry the body over there, and then dig a grave. Can you do that for me? My father was a good man, he stood up to Strahd and died for it, I just want to, do this last thing right for him. I can pay you, I have some silver, cured meat, some healing potions,” she offers, sitting down at the dining table, big enough to seat a dozen or more.

“No need for payment, but there are many dead in Barovia tonight,” Ashlyn speaks up, as the water for the tea begins to boil.

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Andur Estevan, The Unwilling Hero, Tag: DM, companionz Ac: 18, Buffs: -- HP: 47/71

Andur closed his eyes and took place, after casting a brief glance over to Miri.
"Ashlyn speaks true." He nodded, opening his eyes after a long moment of sorting his words. Yes, he'd been trained in speechcraft, but not for things like this!

"It is of course a childs duty to bring their parents to rest. And it is a true kings duty to see his people fed, before he sits to feast." He kept his hands folded, before going on:
"And the good king knows his people safe, before he takes his rest, thinks twice and thrice and yet again, before he makes request." He said, demonstratively looking over to the study for a long moment.. before his eyes returned to Ireena.. challenging now, almost.
"But what is your request then. Would you truly so dishonor your father, in carrying him through streets filled with corpses of his people yet uncared for?

And before you ask nay, we can not set them all to rest. We could work to it, yes, but so could others.. not all can do what we can, come here, strike down the undead that threatended your villages very survival."
He shook his head. "I am not saying your request is beneath me. But if it was me on that table, and heroes come to rescue my people.. I'd have them see my people safe from danger first and if I had to rot forever more." He declared. Sometimes, as he kept pretending to be a hero with ideals to get the girls and because it was expected of him.. he forgot he was pretending.

"But even if I were to agree with your request in principle, your church has been defiled. Even if the curse has been broken for now, would you have your father burried only to see him return? None should be burried there until that graveyard is purified.. if ever, really. Give your father to the flames, that is no less a warriors end."
He nodded.
"But you are not telling us everything. What are these clawmarks on your house? Why do you gird with weapon, yet take not arms to defend your very people? You say Strahd has slain your father? I must misunderstand. I know little of foreign politics, but by what I know, Strahd is the rightful ruler of these lands and as Burgeomaster, your father would be his chosen, loyal vassal." He said, a sternness creeping into his eyes. This Ireena struck him as a spoiled child.. sure, she was in pain so he was willing to forgive much, but the intimidating sight outside just didn't fit with a burial being the next most important thing...

Last edited:

Aenon

Reputation score
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*cough* "Sorry that Andur is so frank...but he has a point." Miri decided to add too.

"What happened in the church, was vile enough that I wouldn't be surprised if the place became cursed, or haunted. The church itself is in ruins, covered in blood, collapsing, and half burned."

"I understand that you may insist on burial - even if burning is just as honorable. However, burying him to that place, wouldn't be wise. Or any other villager, for that matter. I would suggest to burn down what remains of that church, and move the graveyard somewhere else. Or even better, arrange a funeral pyre for the dead."
she reasoned.

"We will help...your father has not been buried for a month already, and this can't be delayed any more." Miri looked at Andur, waiting to see if he agreed with her.

"However, I must say I do not understand the situation. Your father had been dead for a month, and the plague has been around for two weeks. Why is he still here?"

"And those letters arrived for us...after his death, apparently. You say that your father had been murdered. What is going on?"
Miri asked, trying to make sense of all this crazyness.

Not to mention the brother's behaviour, that was too uncaring for Miri's taste...

Last edited:
OP
Corvinus

Corvinus

Reputation score
Ireena fixes Andur with a stare, taking several moments to consider his words before answering, “This is what the people of the village would want as well. I appreciate what you have done for the village, but you are outsiders, you have no idea what my father did for the people of this village, or the love the villagers feel for him. I do not want to see him burned. If the church is still not safe, then I would rather take him out into the fields and find a hill to bury him on, but if it is truly needed can wait. What needs to be done for the village the? The dead that need to be seen to, what else?”

“We still need to patrol all the streets, to make sure the undead are truly gone,” Ashlyn reminds her, “Beyond that, the village has lost many lives to this plague, and must come together to endure. You may also have orphans in the wake of such a catastrophe. Winter is a harsh season, and this one will be especially trying. The village survived the plague, but a small settlement like this, can ill afford such losses. This could be the beginning of the end, if some people leave you will have more, as they find the living situation worsen, with the loss of friend and talent,” The tea by now is boiled and steeped and Ágnes pours everyone a mug.

“All the more reason to not burn down the church,” Ireen turn to Miri. “We can't lose our only church. You people, can you not consecrate the place? If not, I will go to the Vistani's camp. Their leader is a powerful woman, she may be able to help, though I expect her price will be far less charitable,”

“You say Strahd is the rightful ruler of this land? I say he is a monster, and I have lived in this land longer than you,”
she returns her gaze to Andur, “He did not choose my father, the position is inherited. I have heard stories of a time when the Lord of the Castle was a good man, perhaps back then my family was chosen and served loyally, but if such stories are true those must be from ancient times. All my life Strahd has been a distant ruler, shower up only to make demands, and the servants he keep, they are not human. My father held him at bay, refusing his more outrageous demands and appeasing him with compromises, he did with the use of an artefact, the Holy Symbol of Ravenloft, but now that too is gone. That is one of the reasons why my father's burial was delayed so, in the wake of his murder I sought the symbol, but could not find it. The claw marks I cannot answer for, I have not left the house in two weeks. You have letters, from my father? That I cannot explain either,”

Ireena is not telling everything she knows about Strahd.

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Andur nodded to Ashlyn. All this outsider against out tradition nonsense annoyed him, but he would not push Ireena on this matter more than needed. At least Ashlyn was most sensible about this. Ireena made many demands and offered little conciliation. He was moderatly curious on the Vistani however,.. just to see if they all were like Ludovika. Though, if they were, he'd not make it a day there.
Perhaps he was not that curious. As for consecrations.. he glanced over to Miri to have her answer that.
"You were within the house, but never heard the claws that left such marks upon it?" Andur narrowed his eyes. "Out of respect for the hard-times befalling you I will not judge too harshly, your words towards me or your liege, but if you can not offer us anything, why should we offer you help in return? I care not for your coins or potions. Use your coins to buy food for your people. Use your potions to heal their wounds.
But I will not assist someone playing me for a fool and endangering me, and my people by refusing to tell us anything."
He stood up again.

"Ela, Miri, I suggest we leave this place to check on the villagers, they will answer us what this ....Lady refuses and I'd rather freeze out there with them than misuse this houses hospitality." He declared, before turning his back.
"I still have to find the source of the priests twisted tome. I will not suffer it's author spreading more of such ill influence." He nodded to himself.. he already had a plan for it too. "That's what I will do." And he would leave, unless stopped. This secretive nonsense and the odd letter were annoying him, he couldn't help but feel he was being manipulated, and he would not just go along with that any further. It didn't help that this whole situation more than reminded him of old scars...

Aenon

Reputation score

"Sorry to say so, but Andur is right. This explains nothing."

"In any case, we can't consecrate the church - even cities larger than yours often lack the resources to do so. The church is lacking a floor, and a ceiling...while the walls are barely standing. It is also lacking a priest. As for a hill outside, the wild dogs would just dig out the corpses. You either need a funeral pyre, or a new porper graveyard. But in any case...you can choose what you want."

"I am not sure how ancient stories have anything to do with Strahd, or what reason he would have to murder your father, or steal some holy symbol. Or even how delaying your father's burial would help finding a lost anything."

"Look, I think this whole ordeal, and the lack of sleep has...left you a bit...muddled. Don't be offended, it can happen to anyone who has gone through all you have been through....do you want to rest for a while? We can talk again when you are ready."
Miri suggested.

Clearly Ireen had no idea what she was talking about, and spreading rumors about the local Lord wouldn't do her any good either.

OP
Corvinus

Corvinus

Reputation score
“Of course I heard noises, it was the undead. It must have been them, trying to get in. They failed. I can tell you no more about that, I did not go out. I thought the undead once on the first night, but the undead where too strong and too numerous, and I feared my father rising as one, I watched over him. Wild dogs don't dig for many things buried more than 4 feet, I will bury my father 6 feet deep. Why do stories matter? Because Strahd has been the name of the ruler of this land for as long as anyone can remember, it is what grandmother remembered, and her mother two. Do the humans of your land live to over 200 years old? I delayed the burial because I sought how the answer to how my father used the Holy Symbol. I read through his notes, everything I could find in his study, but I could not find the item's secret. And then it was stolen, by a servant of Strahd. And besides, Danovich was too busy to arrange the funeral, he was....” she stops, realization dawning on her, “Worried about his son, who was missing. Is that how the plague started?”

“I will do what I can to help the village, but I am not experienced with these matters of running a community. If the church must be burned I do not know how to begin building and knew one, and we will surely need a holy place if we are to survive the winter,”
he turns to Andur earnestly, ignoring Miri's suggestion for rest, “I am not playing you for a fool, I simply have no answers for your question. I know nothing of the letter you have. That is what brought you here. What did it say?” at first she just glanced at the letter, now she picks it up and reads it. “No, my father didn't know about this, I never told him. And I don't languish,” she becomes angry, agitated, demanding “Who wrote this? Who delivered it?”

“Well then you know anyway, of my wounds. It is me Strahd wants, so he says. I thought it was a dream at first, he came to me. He chases me, and when he catches me he kisses me, and calls me “Tatyana”. Then when I wake, I find these,” she checks that Agnes has left the room, then pulls the collar of her shirt down, revealing her neck, where two small punctures wounds just over an inch apart have been healing for at least a week. “That's the mark of a vampire,” Ashlyn declares with a soft curse, and Ireena carefully covers up her wounds again.

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Andur sighed and waved his hand dismissively. "Nobles are awfully uncreative with names, Strahd the first, Strahd Jr., Strahd the third..." He explained, half turned, with the patience a father reserved for a pouting child, sighing and presenting the letter.
"For all I know, m'lady, you might have sent that letter yourself." He nodded.. and raised a hand adding: "And forgotten about it, in your sorrow." Yeah, definitly crazy.. he'd not even tell her about Ludovika. At least one womans craze had lead to a lot of lives being saved.. but that still didn't explain the necromantic tome.. had it just rested hidden in a backwater-village church? "And let us not talk about how deep your father should be buried.. Miri is right.. this whole ordeal has taken it's toll on you."

Andur half expects to see some self-inflicted wounds from the crazed noble.. and he freezes up. "That is impossible. You couldn't have faked these." He nodded to Ashlyns assesment. Was Ireena not mad at all? This change of events made his head spin. No.. that was just nonsense. The girl had been attacked by a vampire, yes, but the sovereign of Barovia, a vampire, undiscovered for decades or more? That sounded imposssible. And the womans insistence on the lords wickedness,.. yeah...
"That is a serious accusation. The Lord of these lands, a vampire? I .. I can't.. I don't want to believe it." He shook his head. Well.. that would give a reason to get rid of a holy warrior as well as the priest... but still! A vampire? They couldn't get the people out of the town, not during this winter. But even with the Tatyana detail that didn't fit a made-up story, something didn't fit with what Ireena said.:

"... I tire of this. First of all, the only undead that could have cut your doors like this was the misshapen son, but none knew of this lumbering abomination, so the priest hid it. Plus, he punched, he didn't have claws, I know, because I experienced it firsthand, fighting for your village when you could not. So whatever's been at your house couldn't have been him and...."
He suddenly froze up.

"And..." He exhaled heavily. "Oh please let me be wrong unlike with the priest.."He rubbed his forehead briefly.
"Am I wrong that every night, you heard the undead trying to get into your house.. and because Ismark told you, you assumed that those were the undead on the street, trying to get in? We just assumed that too, trusting you. but.. what if you've been completely honest... and you just haven't seen any clawpritns if you never went outside." Andur looked a little pale, now.

"I suggest none of us go outside.. it's already rather dark... I'm sorry and.. I really hope I'm just a cowardly fool right now, but..." He shifted and finally put his suspicion into words: "If everything Ireena says is true.. and everything we've seen so far is true, we might have missed the second undead invasion of this village."

Last edited:

Aenon

Reputation score

"Eh....wait, you mean that the claw marks are from different undead? We have to investigate how those claw marks look like, and see if there is really something other than the skeletons! Their bony hands could have left claw-like marks behind...right?"

"But they wouldn't have focused on attacking the walls for no reason, now that I think about it. Maybe....it was the vampire itself, clawing at your walls?"
Miri mused

"We have to tell the villagers to keep the barricade up a little longer...at least until we make sense out of this!"

"Wait...the priest had a holy symbol with him...it looked like...."
Miri started describing the priest's holy symbol. It was a bit unlikely that it would be the right one, but you never know...

Last edited:

Devastator325

Reputation score
Ela.jpg Ela'nyya Aefnee'al, The Silver Arrow

Ela stayed quiet as her companions asked Ireena a multitude of questions, she wasnt used to situations like this so she found it hard to interject. When she heard Andur make the connection with the claw marks and the vampire she turned to him with a worried expression.

"Do you mean to suggest we are about to be assaulted by a Vampire?" Ela asks Andur with a bit of nervousness creeping into her voice, the assassin not being prepared to fight such a powerful undead. She looked around at her companions, gauging their reactions by the expression on their faces.

OP
Corvinus

Corvinus

Reputation score
“He is not Strahd the Second, or Strahd Junior, he is just Strahd. That's not even his family name, that...something else...Zaroch? NO! I did not write this letter myself!” she shouts at Andur, the edge of hysteria creeping into her voice. The reveal of her bite marks and the eventual acceptance that there is a vampire involved calms her down however, enough to listen to Andur's further musing. “Yes, every night they'd scratch at the door or the walls. I kept one eye on my father and one eye on the door, the servants watched when I slept, but they never got in, or broke a window. That wasn't the undead scratching? Not the plagued ones?” she asks, worried, then turns to Miri. “Danovitch's holy symbol? No, this was made of platinum, it looked like a sun. I don't know why it was called the symbol of Ravenloft,”

“You suspect a vampire loose in the village?” Ashlyn asks, “They are strong, I have to imagine they could mark a house wall. But why wait so long? They only need three nights to turn a mortal. What is it waiting for? Savouring the hunt?” Ireena looks uncomfortable at that thought. “Who delivered the letter?” she asked again, “It says the cure is in the castle. Is that a trap, or a challenge?” she asks, not very hopeful in it being the latter.

Ashlyn shakes her head, turning to Miri, “The barricade won't help, not against a vampire, they will scale it easily. If the plague is over but a vampire remains, then the safest place the villagers can be is back in their homes. We should should return, finish our patrol of the the streets to make sure the lesser wretches are all gone, and then tell the villages to go home and not open the door until sunrise. We can also check the marks on the house before we leave. I have heard the villagers curse by Strahd's name, but I thought him a local evil eye. Whatever this woman's opinions of the local lord are, they are shared by the villagers. How many of you can invoke holy magic? We will need it if we are to preveil against a vampire,”

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Andur Estevan, The Unwilling Hero, Tag: Ireena, companionz Theme: - Side By Side

Andur was used to hiding his fear, so thats what he did right now.. to an outside, inexperienced observer, he seemed calm and stoic. He nodded to Ela nonetheless. "Aye. .. and an old one as well."

Andur crossed his arms, deciding that, even if he didn't trust Ireena to be honest with them, at least he could be with her. "The letter has been delivered by a Vistana, Ludovika. I'd say she's trustworthy, but perhaps it'd be more accurate to say she is not intentionally malevolent.
As for why the vampire has not taken action.. I cannot say, yet... perhaps this house is fortified enough?"
He shrugged, half hopeful at best.

"I'm a battle-mage but I can't use holy magic I fear. That is Miri's metier alone. And dealing with the priests corruption has left me too exhausted to safely pick another fight. A short patrol to warn the townspeople, then we need to recover and prepare." Andur nodded. He liked Ashlyn more and more.
"Even if the vampire-theory ends up being wrong, it doesn't hurt to be extra cautious. I'll take a look at the claw-marks."
He sighed. Going out there into the dark of night? He hated it. Well, at least the tea seemed delicious.

He pondered, finishing his tea, before standing up.
"Ashlyn, can I trust you to warn the villagers? I'll take the patroul from here to the church." He nodded, before stepping outside.. he had to do things, before the dark shadow of panik overcame him. His hand brushing along one of the clawmarks he grumbled.: "Too bloody dark to tell anything much. But no skeleton would do this unless directed, I feel like." He mumbled, igniting his torch outside, before making his way back to the church. They'd left the priest with his holy symbol, true, it may not be a symbol of Ravenkind, and Andur was not a worshipper of Chauntea either.. but it was better than nothing.

"This is a terrible idea overall. I should just leave."

(Survival 7
-1 torch
Heading out back through the village, towards the church, unless stopped.)

Devastator325

Reputation score
21992 Ela'nyya Aefnee'al, The Silver Arrow

"I lack experience with vampires, so I shall defer to your judgments" Ela said in reply to Andur and Ashlyn, finishing off her own tea before she stands up.

"you shouldn't head out alone Andur, I shall accompany you" Ela said quickly, walking out behind him and looking at the claw marks herself, though she cant tell what they are any more than Andur can. She follows along close behind the human, keeping her eyes peeled for any undead.

Last edited:

Aenon

Reputation score

"Ok...can someone tell me all about vampires? I only know they don't like garlic, and that if you drop salt on your doorstep they have to count every grain of it before they can get in your house. And that they drink blood. What is that about three times to turn a mortal? Turn them to what?" Miri asked.

"Ehm...guys I will come with you...after I have heard what Ashlyn knows about those creatures."

OP
Corvinus

Corvinus

Reputation score
Andur and Ela examine the outside of the house, walking along the damaged wall. Sure enough the scratch marks look too deep to have been from the the skeletons, to long too, nearly three feet in length, the skeletons employ shorter, jerky movements. Andur spies something amid the impressions of boots and bare feet in the earth: a paw print, one that would come from a large dog, or a wolf. Ashlyn examine this when point out, kneeling down to get a closer look, but she cannot tell much more, simply adding, “The creatures of the night, are often pets and servants of vampires, they are called the Noble Dead,”

Back inside while the next move is planed, Ashlyn relays what lore she has picked up, “The vampire is a powerful, regenerating undead, very hard to kill. They often have servants, like wolves and bats, but also intelligent creatures. They can make new vampires by drinking a mortal's blood 3 times on three separate nights. They are incredibly hard to kill, even if their vulnerability to holy magic is exploited, they will invariable escape to their lair, and must fought a second time to truly defeat them. Despite their power they do have some weaknesses, restrictions to their powers. They cannot enter another's home without an invitation, and there are more,” Ashlyn listens to Miri's knowledge, “I truthfully cannot say if garlic does anything against a vampire, I have heard that myself but never before faced such a creature before. I find myself doubting that salt on a doorstep would be worth anything,”

“So what should I do?” Ireena asks, learning more about vampires has not help her calm down. It is confirmed that she was sleeping in her bed when the “dream” happened, and worse, she had had it twice. The burgomaster's daughter insists she did not invite Strahd inside the house. Ashlyn is sceptical at first, but does wonder if perhaps someone else did, an invite from any resident is sufficient for the vampire. In any case Ireena likely cannot stay where she is, “Come with me, I'll take you to a village, you can stay in another house,” “What about Ágnes and my brother. Are they safe here?” “The vampire will still be able to enter, but so far he seems interested in you, not them,” Ashlyn points out. Ireen glances at her fathers corpse, reluctantly accepting that any funeral arrangements will have to wait. She says goodbye to Ágnes and then heads upstairs to talk to her brother, returning with a small pack to compliment her armour and sword. “I just told him I was seeing the village, I didn't want to tell him about Strahd, he doesn't need to know,”

Ashlyn takes Ireena on her patrol around the remaining streets of Barovia, before she goes to informs the group, “Me and my fellow hunters, we came here on stories of the undead that roamed this land, but also a legend, the Sunsword, a powerful artefact that has been used to cut down many a powerful undead, if the legends are to believed. Perhaps it was simply a distortion of the Holy Symbol of Ravenloft, or perhaps there are two artefact in this realm, both will be useful if we are to face a vampire. I dare say we will need all the aid we can get,” “We should go to the Vistani camp. Their leader, Madam Eva, is knowledgeable in many things, and will share it for a price,” Ireena recommends. “In the morning, under the sun. For now, we must all rest,”

With that the group parts, the trio head to the church. They find it as they left it, charged and battered, littered with the corpses of destroyed undead and the one broken priest. Andur recovers the scratched holy symbol with the broken chain from the floor. It is late now, and unless they want to waste the whole morning they will need to be sleeping soon.

Devastator325

Reputation score
Ela.jpg Ela'nyya Aefnee'al, The Silver Arrow

Ela stayed close to Andur and looked at the things he recovered, taking another look around the church and getting a little shiver from the dreadful atmosphere and lingering smell. "Your suggestion of burning this place down does not seem unwise, but I suppose cleansing it would be less effort than building a new structure for the people of the village" She muses, mostly to Andur but also glancing at Miri to see if she has anything to say on the matter.

"I need less rest than you two, so I could wait in hiding for he first half of the night to see what goes to Ireena's, I'm confident in my ability to stay hidden, and as an elf I can see better in the dark" Ela suggests to her two party members as they stand in the dilapidated church. She was a bit nervous about staying alone, but didn't want to show it to her party members.