What's new

Expedition to Castle Ravenloft - IC thread

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Andur Estevan, The Unwilling Hero, Tag: Lumi, Ela

"Oh my dear Lumi, I don't need to buy any drinks, I got something that can produce whatever drink you desire.." He grinned, reaching into his clothes... to present his alchemical jug, grinning along.

"Well, I'm in favour of agreeing with your request.. to make ammends." He insinuated.
"We're trying to verify this story either way, yes, do lead the way. is Lady Eva your leader?" He asked, happy to follow that particular Ass he'd gotten to explore already.. he also side-glanced to Ela, clearing his throat.. what was that expression in her eyes? Couldn't be.. he hadn't considered the high-born in that light, but well, he was a lucky man, perhaps if he just gave her a random spank.. no.. no her scorn was not worth the risk.. perhaps he could brush her.. totally on accident?

And thus, as they continued to the Vistani camp, Ela found something brushing her Rump with her now near the front of the group. It seemed like an accident. Seemed like.

(15 sleight of hand check.)

Devastator325

Reputation score
Ela.jpg Ela'nyya Aefnee'al, The Silver Arrow

Andur is able to slide his hand easily under her cloak and brush against her dark shorts, letting him feel how shapely her rear end is, it wasn't very large but from what he could tell by the small touch it was very perky. Ela erupted into a blush and looked back with fury in her eyes, only to see Andur with his hand back at his side, seeming casual. It was truly an accident? she thought before turning back to focus on looking around, aiming to distract herself as she moved to walk next to Lumi.

"I have no qualms with you assisting us in our travels, I am Ela'nyya Aefnee'al" She introduces herself to the woman with a stoic expression, the blush on her cheeks and ears slowly fading

Aenon

Reputation score
Miri Evenwood, the Helping Hand
HP: 45/45, AC 16 (Mage Armor), Passive Perception: 16
SP: 7/7 Spells: 1st Lvl: 4/4; 2nd Lvl: 3/3; 3rd Lvl: 3/3; 4th Lvl: 1/1
Active Effects:
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Miri still didn't believe that the woman wasn't Ludovika. In fact, just the fact that she persuaded everyone so easily, made her even more suspicious.

"Hmm...lets see what you are up to now, Ludo." she whispered as she passed next to her.

"Yeah sure, why don't you come along with us." she declared, rolling her eyes. Of course Ludo would want to tag along, what a surprise....

Repetition

Reputation score
LuministaPortrait.jpg Luminista Cato, Enemy of Tyrants
HP: 47/47, AC 18, Passive Perception: 16
Ki: 7/7 Drinks: 1
Active Effects: None Theme:
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

As Andur pulled out his jug, she procured a cup and warmly smiled requesting "Well, feel free to fill-'er-up, I certainly would appreciate the drink now." If he filled her cup, she would drink it down without hesitation before continuing.
Chuckling at the leader comment, "She wouldn't call herself that, but she is wise beyond her years, or perhaps it is years beyond her looks." she muses for a moment before saying, "She is the protector of my people and if you need to know something in these lands, she is probably the one to talk to."

Turning to the elf, "It is a pleasure to meet you, did the show embarrass you? You look very pretty by the way." Lumin was clearly being honest about the comment, and her openness was accentuated by the bright smile that seemed quick to her lips.

As the sorceress passes her, confusion knit her eyebrows together, she then hurried to catch up asking "I am still not sure who this Ludo is, but if you also want to check me for a disguise feel free, though I would like to know your name before another investigation like Andur's." She then spreads her arms to show her openness, and as another show of permission granted. Lumin would look Miri in her green eyes, her own soft brown eyes attempting to convey her earnestness, ponytail swaying in the breeze with the dark colored cloak.

Aenon

Reputation score
Active Effects:

"Forget it, let's just pretend we fell for it. I am not really in the mood for fooling around." Miri declined. If Ludo...or 'Lumi' wanted to play around, Miri normally wouldn't mind. But seeing a village getting hit by such a tragedy, gave her a bad mood.

"Do you think you could persuade Lady Eva to give better prices for the villagers? Sadly...I am not sure if they can even afford to live here." she asked instead of dwelling on the issue of her identity.

"But yes, let's get moving. We don't have all day for this...we should probably hurry a bit."

OP
Corvinus

Corvinus

Reputation score
The misunderstanding with the Vistani proves to not be as detrimental as spanking a complete stranger could have turned out. “What are you doing?” Ireena demands initially of Andur, stepping forward to intervene, but accepts his explanation. She watched the scene with a puzzled interest, Ashlyn's expression more guarded. The revelation that this is not in fact Ludovika visibly shocks Ireena, though she doesn't voice any reaction initially, her mind is working. As someone who has had to deal with the Vistani before, perhaps she is wondering if this is a secret way to properly handle them. It seems to be working on Lumi at least. “You should buy her more than just a drink for that misunderstanding,” she says eventually. Ashlyn chuckles, “Well Sir Andur, you certainly know how to handle the libertine type. Give her another slap down there to get her moving,”

The group resumes their pace, now with a guide. To both sides the Svalich Woods bristle their thick wooden spines with a generous clumping of green from the pine trees. Across the bridge the forest is closer on the left, to the right there is first a wide stretch of crop fields, stripped in the fall, with several rows of grapevines on the hillside, surrounded by a crumbling stone walls. The left side of the small vineyard has fallen to neglect, but the closest dozen rows are well tended.

Past the fields and grape rows, the shape of the cliff swallows up the castle, hiding it from view. Ashlyn shares a story with Andur about a time she faced a mummy with her former companions. These exotic undead are common in the south, but they faced one closer to home, a travelling necromancer drawing inspiration from foreign occult. The Regal Undead as they called it, it could not speak but held itself with such obvious high regard. It fought well, but was weak to fire, and eventually it burned. The necromancer responsible pleaded for his life and Lightbringers eventually agreed, provided he become a scribe for the order using his knowledge to help defeat other undead, after he spent a week in the stocks. Ireena meanwhile opens up to Miri about her father's death, noticeable a more painful subject for her than Ashlyn's past adventure was. “It was his wine, he always liked a glass before bed. In the morning he never came down, I went up there eventually, and...his body, it was twisted, his spine bent back, mouth frozen open. He did not die quickly. I could see the residue in the bottom of the mug. It was Strahd, or one of his servants. The holy symbol was still there, but before either me or Ismark could make it work, it too was stolen,” she moves forwards, tapping Lumi on the shoulder, “After we speak to Madam Eva, I have a task for you, if you would come back to the village. I can pay. Could you please help me bury my father?”

Presently the road curves back towards the fast flowing stream, and a gap in the rock face again reveals the castle, distant yet dominating, build to project the image of a lord's control over his land. Lumi parts from the road here, leading the group instead the stream bank. Its a little rough, but it is used others, a short cut to the Vistani camp. It does however take them within a dozen paces of the trees however, and its hard to shake the feeling they are being watched. Hopefully nothing more than a crow, or fox.

Round a large pool, or very small lake, across some open ground the campsite becomes visible, a circle of four wagons and at least twice as many worn tents. A handful of men and women dressed in colourful garbs sit quietly around the wagons, mostly human though a two are haflings. At the pool side, three children skip stone across the gently rippling water's surface. The group's arrival causes a flurry of activity, the Vistani disappearing into the wagons and tents to prepare, some emerging with bundles of wares to lay out for viewing eyes, another calls out out “Come, rest a little in my wagon. You must be tired from a long journey on the road, I'll help you relax,” a sultry feminine voice calls out through a dimly lit doorway, the interior obscured by a flimsy silk sheet. “Luminista, you should have told us you were bringing guests,” a young man walks forwards arms spread wide in greeting, the wind ruffling his coat of patchwork silk, his black hair comb and oiled.

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Andur Estevan, The Unwilling Hero, Tag: Lumi, Ela, Ireena

Andur explored Ela's bottom sneakily but throughoutly.. it was definitly workable.
He then shrugged, a man of his word, he uncorked a specific part of the jug, whispering into it.. and filling Lumi's suprisingly easily presented glass with wine, explaining: "I got a literal galon of wine so.. " He grinned. He might be having a fun night soon...

Then, emboldened, he chuckled at Ireena and Lumi alike. "I mean, I was content with the wine, but what do you think, Lumi? I am not sure where we can find a clothing vendor with some proper pretty garments, but I'm sure we can get some equipment for later." He nodded, piercing eyes wandering over the Vistana's form, before obliging Ashlyn, giving another prod to Lumi's bottom.

"Ah, you know how it is, you can't guide the feisty without a firm hand." He mused, wandering along with a slight smile on his lips.

Many warriors made the mistake of burdening themselves with too heavy loads. With his comfortable cloth, Andur could keep walking along even whilest carrying his large weaponry, raising a brow at Ashlyn.
"Your order is strange.. I trust little in necromancers to keep their word.. then again, I've found a particular distaste for them. I suspect this vampire is the necromancer, either by misfortune or dark will." He mused. He didn't join any undead-hunting orders because.. well.. at least the higher ranking ones intimidated him and some quite rightfully so. He slightly rolled his eyes at the continued requests of burrial.. he dearly hoped Ismark had the sense to just put the old man under whilest they were gone.

Andur ponders beginning a tale of his own, but he always felt as if his recountings of victory were more happy coincidence, nor does he like the sensation of being watched. With a side-glance he informs.: "Don't worry, I shan't spank them all."
Andur is further uncertain when they arrive at the traveling folks holdout, raising a brow. .. and admittedly side-glancing at the sultry one for a long moment, before chuckling, nudging Lumi and presenting his jug. He was not sure how much they could be trusting the tall tales of these folks.. but why not make friends first, worry later?

"Greetings, greetings.. a drink on our meetings?" He offered, filling up Lumi's cup.. and nudging her if she wanted to just drink it all up herself.

"I'm Andur Estevan, we've come to speak with Madam Eva, much as I'd like to make trade and be merry, we're on a hunt." He then glanced over. This was quite a difference to the village of Barovia. Well, traveling folk sure knew how to fend for themselves to a degree, but for all he knew, the vampire could be amongst them right now...
"You should be cautious, know that, there's been trouble in the village ahead.. well, more than trouble really."

Repetition

Reputation score
LuministaPortrait.jpg Luminista Cato, Enemy of Tyrants

A little disappointed and worried that her new companion didn't seem to trust her, nor wish to verify her claims, Luminista didn't push the matter, simply accepting that it was time to keep moving, hoping to win over the aasimar's trust one day.

"Madam Eva doesn't control the prices, but when we talk to her we can see if the others can be encouraged to lend a hand, I for one would be more than happy to aid if needed." She said enthusiasticly, the energy and alcohol removing the restrictions from the already rather open lady, as she joyously pushed forward.

Turning to Ireena, "I don't think we have met, though I think I recognize you." She puzzled for a moment, biting her lush lower lip in thought, before recalling, "Ah, right the Burgomaster's daughter. Well," She smiled and blushed a little at the thought of more than a drink. "All he needs to do is ask, but the drink is a fine apology." Then chuckled a little at the multiple encouragements to move along, before acquiescing, making sure to stay ahead of Andur, giving him a fine view of the rump he recently reddened.

Lumin listened intently to the tale, but refrained to comment, thinking to herself that a necromancer isn't bad if it can aid in preventing harm to others, aren't some forms of healing labled also as necromancy, but not given such a bad rap? Well, it wasn't her place, just as long as the people were safe, perhaps keep it on a tight chain to prevent the rising in political power as well as that over the dead.

Repressing a giggle as her companions were swept away by the aromas of perfumes and the colors of the camp, also at how quickly the camp turned itself inside out to appeal to guests. She pretended not to hear Andur's comment as she weaved through the crowd, she knew where she was going, but at the same time the others would expect the chance to welcome the guests as well. Calling back to the man, "If I could have predicted that Eva would want to take me on as an apprentice." Then hugged the man whispering in Vistani how they would see Madam Eva first then, and only then, were they free to partake. She didn't refuse the proffered wine however, and enjoyed the smooth liquid sliding down her gullet, and the aromatic vintage filling her nostrils. She then smiles at Andur before saying, "Madam Eva's wagon is this way, come along." Part of her hoping for more of that delightful wine, anther desperately praying that she can finally go free with these unusual people, as she led the way to the wagon she knew belonged to the fortune teller and unofficial leader of the Vistani.

Aenon

Reputation score
Active Effects:

"Hello there, I am Miri. Maybe we should talk later, but we are in a hurry right now, so please excuse us!" Miri apologized before leaving. Luckily the man didn't even introduce himself, so she didn't even have to feel bad for being rude.

OP
Corvinus

Corvinus

Reputation score
Ireena stares at Andur and Lumi, puzzled by how their dynamic appears to work. “Are you sure you don't know her?” she asks sceptically.

“A fine day I wish to you Andur Estevan. My, aren't you a strong looking fellow. No need to sell you any arms I am sure, your great blade puts anything our smith could craft to shame. Though perhaps a nice side arm to complement it. Or a charm to ward you against things a sword cannot cut,” the Vistani with the oiled hair begins, then Lumi steps forwards to explain the situation. He nods and embraces his fellow kin, whispering something in her, before slowly stepping aside. He does however pause for one last observation, “Miri, what a beautiful name that is. Now is it just my imagination, or do I detect a touch of the angelic in you? My name is Boiko Rudari, but you can call me Boik. Of course, of course, speak to Madam Eva, she is wise and knowledgable beyond her years, and that is saying something, for she is as old as dirt,”

Madam Eva.jpg
Luminista leads the group through the camp. A hafling boy calls out, “Potions, cheap and true! I brewed them myself, better than those city mages can!” whilst others are still laying out their wares, but the group is led towards a tent of red and stained white stripes, an entrance leading into shadows and dimly flickering light. The interior is rather small, or at least it appears so, especially with the old woman hunched over a small table, for she is enormous, more like an ogre or small giant than a wrinkled old woman. Black eyes gleam as her bony hands shuffle a pack of cards. “Ah, wanderers from afar, and a local girl, come and seek the prophetic prowess of Madam Eva,” she speaks with a voice that crackles like dry weeds, “Thank you for showing them here Luminista, you may leave now. Unless of course child, you cannot resist but share in the adventure and danger these foreigners find themselves in?” she smiles gold studded teeth.

A silent stretches out in the wake of her words. To the side, a brazier of bright embers whines lightly, it must have been recently lit. Ireena is the first to speak, “Madam Eva, the village is in trouble. The plague has taken its toll, and the source of the corruption was our church, the building that was meant to guard us against such evils. Even now the taint lingers, we need to reconsecrate the church....but we are unsure how. I, and the village, will pay if you will reveal to us the process by which this can be achieved,”

Another moment of silence, then Madam Eva answers, “A reading could tell you that, and why not, it is a noble enough goal, to restore a holy place to its splendour. But it is insufficient for a reading in of itself, there is more at stake her, so tell me, foreigners, what is it you seek to know? And why are your goals worthy of being aided by a seer's gift?”

Boiko whispered in Lumi's ear, “A shame, she shall barely leave them with any coin for us to fleece,”

Repetition

Reputation score
LuministaPortrait.jpg Luminista Cato, Enemy of Tyrants Tags: Players & Madam Eva Mood: Respectful

Chuckling a little at the comment from Boiko, and playfully punching him, before leading the group to the Madam, the joyous smile dancing on her lips as she was almost dancing through the crowd on their way.

Now in the tent Lumin's countenance grew hard, the smile fell, and her movements flowed less. Respectfully she bowed to Eva, and spoke after Ireena, responding in a deadly serious and strangely reverant tone, "I returned to do good, and these fair folk tell me of the harm that has befallen the nearby town. I cannot sit idly like Him while people get hurt. They also told the rumor of a vampire in the lands, they must be put to rest to protect the people. I know you told me to keep a low profile, and I am sorry for disregarding your advice, I pray you will still give me your blessing to go with these people, they seem to mean well, even if their methods are, unusual." She smiled a little at those last words, remembering her treatment on the road, but the smile returns to the serious set of her lips, knowing endeavors like this are often excruciatingly dangerous.

Last edited:

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Andur Estevan, The Unwilling Hero, Tag: Ireena, Vistani, Madam Eva

"I kind of know her now" He suggested, before chuckling at the Vistan-salesman.

"I've never minded charms.. perhaps later. But let me warn you, Boik, I only carry enough money for the things I have need for." He chuckles. He'd been ever so slightly superstitious, at least as far as good luck charms were concerned.
He raised half a brow at all the vendoring.. perhaps he should have taken a little silver.. but no, The ightbringers could use it better than he baubles.

He glances over towards their guide, before taking a step fowards.
"Greetings. I believe Ireena mistaken. The source of the corruption was not the church itself, but this." With that, he opened up his sash, before pulling forth the pages he had collected, placing them on the table.
"This is not the usual maniscripture of Chauntean priests, I'm quite certain. We find the origin of the necromantic scriptures, we'll find the true root of this evil." He insisted.

And they'd propably find the vampire too. He was really not too happy about that.. but vampires could be defeated.. Ideally during daylight, and with an armed troup of men to command.

Aenon

Reputation score
Active Effects:

"I am Miri, nice to meet you Madam Eva."

"The truth is, we did not come for a reading. It is as Andur said - we seek help for the village, and answers for things that happened in the past..."

"For one, this Strahd, is he really a vampire? And if this is known, why is he still allowed to exist?"

"Then...we know little of vampires. How do we fight one...and do you have anything that could help us deal with it?"

"And lastly, the village suffered major losses...so much that I am afraid their future looks bleak, vampire or not. I am sure the Vistani also have their own problems...but please, do try to help them get through this crisis..."

[11 Persuasion]

OP
Corvinus

Corvinus

Reputation score
In turn, each member of the group make their case to Madam Eva, hoping to receive her prophetic guidance in their quest, and nail down exactly what that is, what they hope to achieve and how. The leader of the Vistani agrees to grant them each a question, and with Lumi choosing to stay that makes six. Madam Eva produces four cards: Death, the Devil, the Emperor, Sun and the High Priestess. "Death walked the streets of Barovia, but it had been, quelled, for now. In the church, a great battle, the light lost three, death lost everything. You may ask how to remove such a taint. Of the Lord of the Castle, you may ask of his desires, or of the location of his tome, which holds ancient knowledge of the land. He who dwells in Castle Ravenloft is tied to the land, but this strength of his can be taken away, though his powers will remain beyond that of mortality. He will find you many times, but you will find him only once. Perhaps you wish to know where? Finally, there are two artifacts, shards of light in this place of darkness, that will aid you against him. The Sunsword, and the Holy Symbol of Ravenloft. The deck will reveal their location, if you ask it. Or perhaps you have your own question in mind?" Madam Eva cackles softly, her voice becoming deamy, seer-like. Each person then asks one question and pull a card from the deck.

Miri starts with, “I want to know how to keep Ireena safe." and draws the three of Swords.

"He who commands this land will never let Ireena leave them. The only way to protect her is to cleanse his broken heart. Failing that, tearing her own heart before the third, will spare her eternity,"

Next Lumi asks, "I seek to set right what once was wrong, I ask how to steal his strength, for without it he is just a tyrant." and draws the two of wands.

"After lounging for decades, the darkness now stirs. It has a new direction in its sights. Not all the tyrants servants will like this. Those in the towers will follow, but those in twisting tunnels beneath and the forest, will have doubts,"

Ireena asks simply "How do I cleanse the church?", drawing the Queen of Sword.

"The corruption came ultimately from the Castle, it is there you will find it. A single honest soul, bound by chains she cannot break. She has learned in her spiteful existence how to corrupt the pure, but there is still some goodness in her. Freely given, her tears will consecrate the temple,"

Ashlyn carefully asks, "Where can I find the undead slaying artefact known as the Sunsword, within the realm of Barovia?” and draws the six of Pentacles. "Seek it in a place of commerce," is Madam Eva's simple answer. Ashlyn frowns, not entirely convinced this isn't a jest at her expense.

Ela asks "Where is the Holy Symbol of Ravenloft being kept?" and pulls the Chariot.

"Seek the Holy Symbol in the second highest tower, amid the garden pools of the Mistress. When you have it, take it to the highest tower, and clutch it to your chest, then its powers will be yours to command,"

Andur debates his question for a while, also debating the merits of Strahd being redeemable with Miri. Finally he makes his own request of Madam Eva,"Tell me, where do I find one that truly cares for Strahd, even whilst knowing what he really is." and draws the Queen of Cups.

"You will find the name of one who cared for Strahd, truly and freely, written in stone," Madam Eva answers, and with that the dream-like quality from her voice is gone. "I hope those answers have served you well, you will need all the help you can get," she lies back, the chair groaning under her weight. Her wrinkled face becomes thoughtful, as she tries to recall a dream. “You asked about the two artefacts, and about the lord of the Castle, but not about his powers, or you did, but the deck chose to answer in a different way. I can tell you there are three fanes of power in Barovia. One in the forests, one in the hills and one in the swamp. The forest one is near this camp. I know Strahd uses the site, gains power from it somehow, but I do not know how to severe it. Is Strahd redeemable? Ah, the deck was cryptic in its answer? Hardly a surprise, 'tis a tough question. Strahd was once good, a long, long time ago. Can he ever be returned? Is there a sliver of goodness, a memory of such thoughts, left within him? I do not know, perhaps the darkness has swallowed his soul completely,”

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Andur Estevan, The Unwilling Hero, Tag: Ireena, Vistani, Madam Eva

Andur.. refrains from commenting on the qualities of answers recieved. Whilest some got quite detailed descriptions or at least a direction, he and especially the lightbringer had been.. less inspiering. So the only one that cared for Strahd was already dead? That propably ment he could not be redeemed. He looked to his companions, current and new.

"I've never faced a vampire, much less one that syphons even more strength from an entire kingdom. The most sensible option would be to retreat and return with an army. The next.. I don't quite know. We sorely lack information, if it wasn't dangerous, I would simlpy suggest splitting up to learn more individually and create unpredictable movements.. that way, if a creature as mighty as a vampire is made aware of our doings, at best one of us can be dealt with.. directly." He shrugged and crossed his arms.

"But this is not at all an ideal plan and infact, assumes with almost certainty, that at least one of us.. will not be seen again." He said, his eyes hardening. "Although, it beats all of us being defeated unprepared, so I'm open to alternative suggestions."

Repetition

Reputation score
LuministaPortrait.jpg Luminista Cato, Enemy of Tyrants Tags: Players & Madam Eva Mood: Respectful

Lumin resists the urge to scoff at Andur for his preposterous plan of an army, after all they were in Madam Eva's company, and Lumin owed a great debt to the older Vistninia. Also he simply wasn't aware of how things worked here, an army would simply draw too much attention and be too slow anyhow. An army would also need to be led and fed, two things that would be dangerous. The feeding due to the fact that Barovia was entering the winter season and wouldn't have much in the way of stores to be available, and the leader was probably another upstart noble who could potentially be worse than Strad shudder, no, no more dictators, military leaders especially.

"From what I remember the Lord will probably ignore us, or send minions to handle us until we decide to make ourselves a big enough problem. Getting his hands dirty isn't in his nature." Once again Lumin's face twisted like she had swallowed something nasty as she spoke of him, remembering the stories that he is aware whenever someone speaks his name, and this tent had it spoken one too many times tonight.

"Personally I believe we should start working to find his sources of power, We know where they are and if we can pick up the artifacts on the way, all the better. Cut off the power, then the puppet is just a wooden doll. Thank you Madam Eva, if you wish we can leave you to your peace." Lumin once again inclined her head at her elder, but waited for the others to also come to a consensus. Keeping her eyes open, watching particularly the Aasimar, she was odd, thinking someone she never knew could be fixed, but if it took Him off the throne, it didn't matter the method. They would probably need to spend the night in camp, to keep them under His radar, but that was fine, one last night of heavy drinking before setting off to set this right now was the time.

Devastator325

Reputation score
Ela.jpg Ela'nyya Aefnee'al, The Silver Arrow

"I agree with Luminista on this, going for the source of Strahd's power seems to be the most sensible decision" Ela says after listening to the conversation and mulling it over, she knew that attacking the beast head on would be suicide for them. The group needed to search for ways to get a leg up on the ruler of these lands, but she was unsure how exactly to go about that. She was also uncertain about splitting up, they needed to get to work quickly, but that would leave them more exposed to the dangers Strahd and his minions posed.

She started pacing back and forth as she thought, muttering quietly to herself while touching her chin, her cape swishing with each turn of her body.

Aenon

Reputation score
Active Effects:

"Hmm....yes we can try to go according to Madam Eva's prophecy. But we should also do the most reasonable things, first."

"Andur, Ashlyn, I think we could write a couple of letters to the lightbringers, to old contacts, to holy temples and old friends, explaining the situation. Should they come in time, then good, should they fail to do so, we will have to take care of this ourselves."

"Back to matter at hand."

"The Sunsword. What places of commerse are in Barovia? The most obvious one would be here, or back at the village, in one of the shops there. Madam Eva, Lumi, you know those lands better than us...is there an other place of commerce other than those two? It could be metaphorical too...like a well where you throw coins in, for good luck, that sort of thing."

"The holy symbol...what are those towers, and who is 'the Mistress'? It sounds like those at the towers are loyal to Strahd, while those in the forests and in the tunnels could be persuaded to rebel...in time?"

"But who are the servants in the towers, and who are those in the forests and the tunnels? And when or why would they rebel? What are their motives?"

"Andur's question feels important too. I assume there are no other graveyards in Barovia, predating the one in the village?"

"Cleansing the church will have to be done last, it seems."

"Finally, what are those 'fanes of power'? Some kind of magical flags? Also, this sounds like we will need a map."

"I do believe we should split up. Yes, it will be dangerous, but we have to move swiftly, and avoid looking like a real threat - for now. Lets prepare for the worst, but hope for the best. If Strahd is redeemable, then good. If not, we will have to fight him."

OP
Corvinus

Corvinus

Reputation score
Madam Eva fixes Miri with a not too pleased look. “You ask me questions I cannot answer, the deck will know. Should I ask it to pierce the veil for you a second time? I must war you, the spirits do not always look kindly on those who demand more of them. You had your one question, a second, third and fourth may come with a price,” gold fillings are flashed in a nasty smile. “Now, I can answer some of your questions. There is no place of commerce in all of Barovia, save for the village and this camp, but there is another place for the dead, in the catacombs, where the nobles and their pets are buried. Don't worry pet, you won't be buried there,” another smile, this one nicer. “As for Strahd's servants, I know the castle once had several families working within its walls, and I understand some mortals still serve him, though I shudder to think what the walls of that cursed place have done to the families over the course of three generations. Strahd has his lovers over the years, and he is attracted to those who have their skills, by blade, word or magic, but never enough to threaten him. Perhaps some serve him still. I have know of a knight within those walls, as a king will have, only this one is winged, and glowed with a holy light. One would imagine such a figure would object to such a creature, but it seems they chose to kneel instead,”

The bright embers are dulling, but they have already filled the tent with their heat. Dressed in her armour, Ashlyn sweats, but maintains her stiff composure. “Now of the fanes, I can tell you more,” Madam Eva continues, “They are circles of power, ancient magic, unused for centuries, until Strahd realized their worth. He is knowledgeable in the arcane arts, and bound himself to each, siphoning power from this land as his own. He tasks three hags to protect them, myself and two sisters. The forest is mine, it is near here. In truth guarding them has not been hard, no one dares disturb them. I have charged its protection with three giants. If you approach it, tell them Madam Eva sent you. Why am I telling you this, if I agreed to guard the fane for Strahd? Well, one does not say no to Strahd lightly, and even so, this was many years ago. Since then, I have learned more about the lord of the castle. The fane in the hills is guarded by Baba Zelenna. She uses it for rituals of her own, though I cannot say they are that effective, else Strahd would surely object. Be careful with her, she is more selective with the company she keeps,” Madam Eva's eyes flicker between Miri and Ela, “The swamp fane is guarded by a hag of the ripples. She has taken the fouling of the land particularly hard. I doubt there is much left of her former mind inside that rotten skull,”

With that final revelation, the seeress falls silent, raising a hand to shoo the group out of the tent. The Vistani make final attempt to hawk their wares and services to the group, “This dagger is edge with world steel. It never needs sharpening, and will cut anything!”, “This fine ring, pure gold, set with pearls and jasper, fit for a princess bride!”, “Night eye! Dark and rich, you'll never taste wine so smooth elsewhere!” Miri and Ireena distract the Vistani, whilst the other four make their escape of the camp.

Fairy Maidens – Early Afternoon
They are delighted to see two customers at least are staying staying, and quickly adjust their pitch when they realize Ireena wants more mundane supplies. Knowing they don't have a smith, Ireena bargains for several tools and other pieces of worked iron, along with some medicine, blankets, pots and mugs, and alcohol, to keep spirits up in the dark months to come. She conducts business well enough, though is a little outmatched in the haggling. Still, she secures what the village will need with some trade goods left over. Whilst Ireena sees to these details, Miri looks for the sunsword. An old man shows her a shortsword he has, the hilt of beaten copper, flaring at the pommel to form the image of a sun. He claims it is the sunsword, but if so it hasn't been kept well, the metal is tarnished, and there are several nicks along the blade. As she considers this an older woman beckons her inside her tent, “Come, I think I have something for your troubles. Not the sword mind you, but something else,” she smiles, beckoning Miri with a finger.

Handsome Knights - Mid-afternoon
Following the river back to the path, and further along to the where it flows out into the land to become the Ivlus marsh, Ashlyn and Andur pass the time with stories of their adventures. “That necromancer we forgave? Oh don't worry, we ensured he would never again raise undead, He was a book mage, without his tongue, he couldn't work his magic, but the knowledge remained. Not the best fate, but it was preferable to execution for him, and us, his knowledge did help us against other undead,” Ashlyn declares solemnly. “I will write a letter to the Lighthunters, they will be loathed to send a second team, but they may send a priest or alchemist to help, especially if I can say I have found the Sunsword. I could also right to my estate, but I do not think the arms that it could muster would serve us well here. What about you? Do you have anything under your charge who can fight powerful undead?” Ashlyn asks, as she offers her hand to Andur, helping him up a rise. An unnecessary gesture, but one she makes with a warm smile all the same.

From the rise top the marsh becomes visible. Patches of grey-dead reeds and moss covered trunks bristle between pools a fetid water. A quarter miles into the rotten landscape broken stone walls are visible, grey like the castle, but too damaged for the buildings shape or scale to be guessed. The pair set off into the marsh, sloshing through water sometimes ankle deep, sometimes above the knees, other times they squelch through mud and decaying plant-life. The going is never quick, but Andur is mostly able to pick an easy path, by the marsh's standard at least. Still, not long into the trek, a half submerged log suddenly springs to life, rising out of the murky water along with stalks and vines and muck, assuming the vague form of a four legged beast, a mouth opens, moving in a silent roar to complete the image. Caught off guard, Andur and Ashlyn are saved by its slow speed, as it practically flows across the sodden land towards them, giving them just enough time to act before the dripping arm of writhing marsh reeds touches them.
swamp monster.png

Quiet Fucks – Mid-afternoon
The Vistani leads Ela back down the path, initially following step with Andur, but soon breaking off to cross the bridge, where Lumi can choose to collect her shovel, or leave it for Miri and Ireena when they return. Hugging the vine yards, catching the scent of the pungent grapes from the vines that no one had time to pick, the pair approach the forest. Despite living her most of her life, Lumi has avoided this side of the forest and knows her way only as far as the treeline, it offered little to the Vistani, and the realm was not one that encouraged idle exploring. Initially they must carefully pick their through the densely packed trees, and each feels a branch snag at their clothing or skin more than once. After ten minute however the forest opens slightly, with streaks of dim grey light spilling through the canopy. A wide swath of clearer ground forms something like a path or trail, though there are no clear marks of anything passing along it.

“Ho there,” the gruff elven voice calls out in his kin's tongue. “What evil do you bring to these woods?” Neither Ela or Lumi had seen him, off to the side of the path, and now he steps out into the open, though several tree trunks partially obscure the view between him and the two woman. He wears poorly cured leather armour, and a tattered green cape with a hood, walking barefoot. His exposed arms are tattooed with elven runes of family and martial prowess, and he holds a longbow in his hand, unnotched for now. “Wiat evil do you brin'to these wods?” he repeated his question in heavily accepted Common, cocking his head to the side, then switches back to Elven. “Hail sister. Why do you bring a human to our land?”
wood_elf.jpg

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Andur Estevan, The Unwilling Hero, Tag: response, Ashlyn

Andur.. had listened to the questions, and answers and nodded to Miri. Before departing, seperating into two man teams as he'd suggested, he noted: "Let's spread up to cover more ground.. meet here again by tomorrow, or leave a message with the Vistani.. I do hope we can trust them to be less.. flighty about serious matters." He nodded, before deciding to depart.. all had been said, more or less.

Andur chuckled particularly at the dagger that cut anything.. then how could it be kept in a sheath? He'd argue.. but not get bogged down by haggling, best as he could help it.
He chuckled on his way, chatting with Ashlyn.. merrily, considering the situation. "Hooh.. Nasty, but.. I understand your reasoning and yes.. preferable." He nodded, shifting his poket to drop a little bit of sliced bread for his crab within.
He then crossed his arms. "I have a butler, but I'm pretty sure he resents me. And perhaps the lightbringers will sent another team, considering..." He tactfully hesitated.
"A priest would help, most certainly. Miri tries her best, but she's not been blessed as the full ladies of the faith have. But.. no, I could call upon the crown but they'd not arrive in time.. not with the winter coming. And even then, a couple of fresh faced recruits barely four months of training against what I faced at the church? Let us try weakening this vampire.. and.. well.. I don't know. I have no good plan, I am quite certain you are supposed to find their hideouts during sunlight and take care of them there and then, but laying siege to a castle is beyond my skills." He admitted, chuckling and taking Ashlyns hand, holding it perhaps for a moment longer than necessary... Yeah, Ashlyn lacked some of the .. distractingly stunning femininity he'd been surrounded with, but he could respect her reasonable approach, compared to Miri's help-all-attitude, the flighty Vistani and obviously Ireena.
"I guess the best approach would be to weaken the castle's guardians by attrition.. hopefully without any sacrifices. By the sound of it, there is no organized force, just one man enforcing his dark will, so there could be a chance and opening.. dissent even..."
He shrugged, and then wrinkled his nose.. why did he chose the swamp again? So that his allies had it easier? He regretted this already..

Andur startled at the tree-things approach.. before shrugging and taking a step backwards.
"Fighting this swamp creature is pointless, and it's no undead either. Let's circle around and outrun it. We have to find a swamp-hag, or even better, her place of power, unguarded." He determined, before withdrawing.

(Moving away, readying to dash on further away once Ashlyn gets out safely too.)

Last edited: