What's new

Games Discussion Thread

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score
Re: Games Discussion Thread

I really wanted to like dishonoured, but they kept reminding me that the best ending is one where you dont kill any one. then your non lethal alternatives max out in the second level and the only thing the rest of the game dangles is more and more creative ways to play the game that will punish you in the long run.

The other side of that is hitman, which is similar in that you go in with your perfect plan and at some stage you make a mistake and something goes wrong, in dishonoured you have to restart everything you were doing, in hitman its a omnicide time.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

Posting in Game Discussion because kinda related.

So, remember that guy James McVinnie? The guy who was behind the SFM animation (and Saxxy finalist) ' ', probably is laying around in the animation credits for a few Bioware games you own, and posted this trailer for a short called ' ' that's releasing somewhere along this year?

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

I started playing a little game called Mush

It's pretty interesting, about 80% of it is the social interaction and figuring out who the mush are, along with working together with the rest of the crew so you can actually survive long enough to figure out who it is.

Sadly, it's really slow and takes several days for a game. It's still pretty fun though, and there's a lot of interesting things that can happen with it

Last edited:

Master_Bei_Shun

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Mixed feeling about the last Silent Hill Game...

Just got around to playing it a few days ago (And found it was an easy 3 day 1000/1000) after putting it off for months

While I liked the overall story and theme, I didn't like that it didn't add ANYTHING to the lore

Where I liked the pseudo weather changing from heavily overcast and slowly going into a raging thunderstorm I absolutely HATED the change made to Bogeyman... Aka Red Pyramid... Aka Pyramid head... Taking the Iconic villain/ physical manifestation of guilt and making him the slasher from I know what you did last Summer wearing a gas mask and wielding a cinderblock on a pole...

He wasn't even there for the right reasons also, there may have been guilt, but it was already honed up to, Murphy never sought judgement as he priorly PUT himself in jail... Bogeyman only was even in here as an object to entoll revenge on... Which was sooo not the characters role in Silent Hill...

Controls: With the exception of a few bad doorways and the lack of a DODGE button during combat (when you DO actually fight, your reduced to hit and run tactics, cause the high pressure beatdowns you could do from Homecoming are long gone) the controls are pretty good... Although I do wish they would have found something better to map to LB/L1 instead of "Look Behind you"

Sound: If I had anything to complement the game on, it was the OST... And not Murphy's myriad of recycled screams and yelps... But I did get a lol out of a classic Wilhelm scream during a subquest.

Whether your navigating a poorly lit basement of a hoarder, lost in a maze of boxes, and whispered sobs plead you to help them find THEIR WAY OUT or indecipherable mumbles conversing while your trying to read something leading you to read the same paragraph over three times. The music is usually subtle... Until you realise how bothersome "the voices" are becoming

Playability: On my first playthrough I wanted the Hardest time possible... Sadistic like that... Hard Difficulty Hard Puzzle Difficulty and Zero Kills...
18 hours after, I beat the game, with still Zero Kills...
Second "Clean-Up" runthrough Easy Difficulty Easy Puzzles...
12 hours... With many of the puzzles recycling answers...But not the method to reach such (Example: Easy- 3+3 Hard 8+8-10) and most Item Puzzles regrettably were in the room where they were required, limiting actual search and exploration time to maximize running around uselessly time...

Biggest problem the game had was frame rate drop and Loading issues... And usually I'm not one to complain about things like this... I find Skyrim load time just fine... But this was ridiculous even after installing it was upwards of a full minute at times, with a framerate drop to... Well... Shitty levels...

Overall the game had it's moments, but had a lot of drawbacks. Enjoyable while it lasted but not something I'd go back to anytime soon... Kinda like most peoples opinions of Silent Hill I'd assume....

Obsidious

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

I couldn't come up with a thorough review of this game because I don't consider it worth it. It was one of a handful of games I looked forward to and bought for the PS3, since I am/was rather fond of the series. It was also the last one. In my opinion the developers have continued to 'improve' the wrong aspects of the series and neglect the right ones. The movies' influence did its part as well. This kinda came to its conclusion with the last game, in my opinion.

I honestly did not even come up with the resilience to finish it. I simply lost interest in the middle of it, after over 10h of having played it. The story couldn't captivate me, no Akira Yamaoka was available for the OST. Although they tried to imitate the flair of the first installments - I can in all seriousness remember the music/ambience sound of every single room of the first part, but for this game it was more of a 'meh' experience and I can't remember anything at all. This is a very subjective opinion though, since music/sound in games and movies is of the utmost importance to me.
The fighting mechanics - that you even have to talk about this is kinda amazing, back in the day the Silent Hill series was kind of a counter approach to the horror genre, compared to the by then also successfull Resident Evil / Biohazard series - in the end had me rage quit in the prison level.

In conclusion, and after two movies butchering the franchise I believe I know what to expect for the future and I stand firmly with the believe that I will not ever buy a Silent Hill game again.

btw Bei Shun, the Silent Hill games have always kind of driven the hardware to the current limits - the 'fog' idea was born from these exact limitations.

Last edited:

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

I'm sure someone mentioned it already, or at least heard of it

But

Schoolgirls Love Tentacles

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

But

Oh god, that made it to Greenlight? MY SIDES.

OP
Rule 34

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

But

Yes. YES.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

To those that used to play Haven and Hearth; Apparently H&H is getting an sometime this year, and is supposed to be what the new graphics will look like.

xgkf

Tentacle God
Reputation score

The developer better be careful with that Schoolgirl Tentacles game:

The card in the bottom-middle of the image is Zone-tan, and fanart of Zone-tan if i'm not mistaken (pretty sure I've seen it somewhere like on H-F or something). Just hope he has the rights/permissions for that, otherwise he might be tempting some lawsuits or other backlash due to art-theft (especially if there's other characters/artwork that he's using).

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

Well, the Zone-Tan card is actually labelled as Zone-Tan. So he's not attempting to hide it or expecting people not to recognise the art at least. Doesn't mean that permissions were gained, but who knows. *shrug*

Last edited:

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

Considering this is a virtual version of the kickstarter game where all the artists basically chipped in with the art, pretty sure it's got permission. IIRC, other names of note include Slugbox and DrGaveling.

xgkf

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Fair enough. I hadn't heard about this before and just noticed that there when looking at it, and just commenting.

AlphaOne

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

So, what kinda games are we discussing here :D:D

GargantuaBlarg

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

You've played Haven and Hearth before, Blarg, or do you just like the look of it?
I played it before. It was a llllllloooooooooong fukken time ago, though.

The old cow portraits are fuckin' scary.

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

No. This thread is more for regular games.