What's new

General HRPG discussion

OP
bankss

bankss

Mystic Girl
Reputation score
Re: General HRPG discussion

Im probably biased but I actually prefer less RPGMaker-ish H-games and see more developers tackle other genres. RPGMaker HRPGs is a hugely saturated market and IMO once you play a couple of good ones then the rest is more or less the samely.

There are so much unexplored territory, such as turn based squad combat game like XCOM, H-version of dungeon keeper (I believe this has been attempted), shooters (L4D with H-content anyone?) etc.
This, absolutely. We're at risk of going off-topic with this, but in the vast majority of RPG-maker games (There are exceptions as in my earlier post), I find it a chore to play them especially if the H-scenes are limited to events or straight-up losing battles and having to restart/reload a save after. I don't find them challenging or compelling, just grindy for the most part.
Turn-based Tactics (Abandoned: A tale of forgotten lives is an example, but the gameplay and H content are separate), FPS and shooters in general are honestly what I hope will become the standard, but they doubtlessly take more effort to create and balance compared to RPGMaker, what with pretty much all the assets a dev needs bar character art and H-content available to them.
I can't even imagine a H-Shooter, it would be sooooooo great :D:D:D

AltairPL

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

I can't even imagine a H-Shooter, it would be sooooooo great :D:D:D
Well, there was by FullTime - there's clothing damage in levels, but I don't remember whether fun stuff was in levels as well or only after beating/failing a level.
There was also one or two more Japanese FPP/TPP H shooters, but the only thing I remember is that they weren't very good.
As for English productions, only BoneCraft by D-Dub Software comes to mind, but IMHO it has its issues.
As for WIP stuff, I know only of by Mithos56, but not sure if it qualifies as shooter.
Well, there's probably more, but those are only ones I know or remember.

Back on topic:
What things make a better or worse game?
For me a game is good if it keeps me interested, absorbed, pinned to the monitor, etc. - whether it's good story, mechanics, sense of accomplishment, or something else. As long as this condition is met, I don't mind some of the game's shortcomings.

What things do you miss on general HRPG's (Story, Customization, CG's, etc)?
Not limited to HRPGs - more quality games in English, either made by English devs or translated ones.

How do you think the general HRPG's market could improve (Development surveys, more participation from the users. etc)?
Also not limited to HRPGs - Surveys and users participation both fall into the "contact between developer and player base" category - it is important, but to the point... players should not dictate the dev what should or should not be in the game.
That said, suggested changes/additions inside of the planned scope of the game and constructive criticism usually are a good way to improve game quality, which is a win-win.

Do you like the "patreon thing" or you prefer to buy complete games?
I do prefer buying complete games, but since situation is as it is, Patreon is needed to allow more quality games to be developed, and that's why I'm supporting projects that caught my eye.

Do you approve the PayPerUpdate patroning?
Both "per month" and "per update" methods have their own pros, cons, risks, etc., and since every campaign is different, my answer is: depends on the campaign.

OP
bankss

bankss

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

Well, there was by FullTime - there's clothing damage in levels, but I don't remember whether fun stuff was in levels as well or only after beating/failing a level.
There was also one or two more Japanese FPP/TPP H shooters, but the only thing I remember is that they weren't very good.
As for English productions, only BoneCraft by D-Dub Software comes to mind, but IMHO it has its issues.
As for WIP stuff, I know only of by Mithos56, but not sure if it qualifies as shooter.
Well, there's probably more, but those are only ones I know or remember.

Back on topic:
What things make a better or worse game?
For me a game is good if it keeps me interested, absorbed, pinned to the monitor, etc. - whether it's good story, mechanics, sense of accomplishment, or something else. As long as this condition is met, I don't mind some of the game's shortcomings.

What things do you miss on general HRPG's (Story, Customization, CG's, etc)?
Not limited to HRPGs - more quality games in English, either made by English devs or translated ones.

How do you think the general HRPG's market could improve (Development surveys, more participation from the users. etc)?
Also not limited to HRPGs - Surveys and users participation both fall into the "contact between developer and player base" category - it is important, but to the point... players should not dictate the dev what should or should not be in the game.
That said, suggested changes/additions inside of the planned scope of the game and constructive criticism usually are a good way to improve game quality, which is a win-win.

Do you like the "patreon thing" or you prefer to buy complete games?
I do prefer buying complete games, but since situation is as it is, Patreon is needed to allow more quality games to be developed, and that's why I'm supporting projects that caught my eye.

Do you approve the PayPerUpdate patroning?
Both "per month" and "per update" methods have their own pros, cons, risks, etc., and since every campaign is different, my answer is: depends on the campaign.
Wow, that ideas are promising, I lost my hope for imagination on h-games market with corrupting mage heroines that grind for killing monsters, but maybe it's a chance for innovation.