What's new

Glutton for Punishment...

Luppikun

Tentacle God
Reputation score
I've decided enough is enough, I'm gonna play Touhou. Yes, Luppi, the one who can't beat ANY bullet hell game. Oh well. But I have a question to ask all you ULMFers. Which game should I start with? Either on terms of easy or most addicting...

WAAAAAY OVERDUE EDIT: I have now realized my full potential as a god of danmaku.

Last edited:

Aurani

Unknown Squid's Husband
Reputation score
Re: Glutton for Punishment...

The 7th one, Perfect Cherry Blossom is a good start. At least that's what I've been told by the other Touhou fans around here.

Tiffanian

Smut Slut
Reputation score

I've heard Imperishable Night is the easiest, and I believe I beat easy modo on my first or second try, so that's probably the one you should start with.

OP
Luppikun

Luppikun

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Ok, so I've got votes for 7 and 8 so far...

maikochan

User #69
Reputation score

The only one I've played is Embodiment of the Scarlet Devil... think I got to level 5 before game overing. Really, the only reason I played this one is it was the only one I found in my brief search. And I like Flandre's music.

aika

El Presidente
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

My first touhou was Perfect Cherry Blossom, and while it did take me ages to complete I'm glad that's the one I started on. I think it has some of the nicest music and memorable bullet patterns and the first couple of levels are pretty darn easy.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

6 is the first game that runs in windows (without an emulator), but I believe is easier to appreciate after playing at least one of the others.
7 is the one I'd personally recommend starting with. Good balanced starter. Also my enduring favourite.
8 is also a good starter. Widely considered the easiest.
11 would give you the "punishment" your seeking, with even the story line literally sending you (the main characters) to hell.

There are also of course the fighting games, worth considering. Different genre altogether, and rather unique even within their own.

If you need any help obtaining the games or maybe the English patches, I've got plenty of practice there.

Last edited:

Guan Yu

GAUN
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

A Touhou person reporting in

I agree with Squid's sugggestions, they are pretty much the same things I would've told. But even with it's difficulty, I tend to play Subterrranean Animism (the 11th) most, for it has by far the best soundtrack in the current games.

OP
Luppikun

Luppikun

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Alright. I guess I'll get 7, 8, and 11. Try them all out, have options. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and keyboard or controller?

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

I personally prefer keyboard, but the only PC compatible gamepad I own is my 360 controler, which in my oppinon isn't very well suited (D-pad isn't precise enough). Pro's and skillful players seem to use both keyboard and pads as far as I've seen. Just don't try to use analogue sticks. With keyboards at least you won't have to worry about setting them up correctly or anything, but if your using a laptop or cheep keyboard do be aware that some (my laptops one for example) don't have enough chanels for simultaneous button presses in certain combinations and can screw you over trying to do stuff like shooting whilst moving diagonally.

For getting the games, should cover things nicely.

OP
Luppikun

Luppikun

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Thank you, all.

EDIT: Erm, Squid... 7 and 8 are missing files. I'm gonna go in search of them. *puts on miner cap*

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

Thank you, all.

EDIT: Erm, Squid... 7 and 8 are missing files. I'm gonna go in search of them. *puts on miner cap*
Thossse are nice filesss you have there,
ssshame if sssomething were to happen to them.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

Thank you, all.

Huh, well damn, so they are. Strangely the which I keep on hand as well, seems to have it's links for those games in tact.

7 Perfect Cherry Blossom [x] Managed by Mereck. Download . Mirror by rokuak . (English pre-patched) Alt link from me
|

8 Imperishable Night [x] Managed by 6djme. Download . Mirror by Tsukimoon . 2nd Mirror by ZEROGRAVITY-A01! . (English pre-patched) Alt link from me
|
Here y' go. In case you haven't already found them. I might just have to add these old links to the new list.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

Thossse are nice filesss you have there,
ssshame if sssomething were to happen to them.
CREEPER NO CREEPING, CREEPER NO CREEPING, CREEPER NO CREEPING!