What's new

[GM8 Tower Defense] Princess Guardian

reddo

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score
So, since last year I started planning this little tower defense game, but only really started development process a few months ago. The rest of the time I was trying to find out which platform to build it on, so there wasn't much going on.

The Engine I'll use on all the stages is pretty much done. The only thing I need to finish is the Extra Objectives (which will be in the ways of Protecting Villages and maybe Defeating Monsters, perhaps something more if I manage to think of something that sounds fun).

I was planning on making a thread on it only when I had a FULL first level, but designing and testing the enemies is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo tiring and I have done it so many times and it's been so long that it's becoming increasingly difficult to work on it. So I decided to share it, as keeping it to myself all this time was hard.

Anyway, the game is about The Legendary Strategist (the Player) who'll help kingdoms defend against The Demon King (world class villain) by organizing it's forces.

Most levels will have Lives represented by the number of Princesses. Each time you let an enemy get into the castle, it'll have it's way with one or more princesses. Enemies can attack a princess in groups, but I am limited to any of these groups that already exist in Ring of Lust. At least the first level has the objective of holding back the Demon King's forces until the marriage of the princesses with another kingdom happens (which causes allied forces to come and help). So, letting all princesses get taken = no marriages = failure.

Features:
  • Quicksave mid-stage
  • Checkpoints each day, allowing you to return to any point in the past during your current play.
  • You can speed up game (up to 2x normal speed only). Speeding up does not increase processor usage, but because of that there's loss of precision (that's why it's only 2x speed, not any more).
  • Most basic Tower Defense mechanisms.
  • Difficulty choice.

Screenshots:

The game will have four stages on the main story, following the strategist until a somewhat more direct confrontation with The Demon King, but I plan on making extra stages (not directly related to the main story) until I run out of resources. Right now you can only play up to Night 2 in the First Level, as I haven't designed the other waves (I don't even think the waves I did create are finished).

I was only able to test the game on a processor with about 1ghz, but I believe it'll run well on anything above 600mhz (even on that simple computer there wasn't much CPU Usage). If it doesn't run well for you, I'd like to know so I can fix it. I also didn't use any complex game maker effects (as I was just learning everything I did), so there shouldn't be much on the way of incompatibilities with video cards either.

And lastly: Please let me know what you think of it!

Attachments

Last edited:

Serifyn

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Re: [GM8 Tower Defense] Princess Guardian

I like where this is going, great work so far.

Twisted1

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

There always seems to be a space of ~80 seconds or so at the end of a day/night in which no monsters come and pressing the speed up button causes the next day to occur. Is this intentional? It seems a bit odd, if so. If you wanted the player to have more time to place towers, I'd recommend a message once you've defeated all the monsters in the round.

But all in all, it seems good. You might want to try varying the path a little more, even on the first level, but this is a great start. I look forward to playing more in the future.

OP
R

reddo

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

There always seems to be a space of ~80 seconds or so at the end of a day/night in which no monsters come and pressing the speed up button causes the next day to occur. Is this intentional? It seems a bit odd, if so. If you wanted the player to have more time to place towers, I'd recommend a message once you've defeated all the monsters in the round.
Yes, I thought leaving some time for new towers was a good idea. No messages was probably an oversight, I can fix that.

But all in all, it seems good. You might want to try varying the path a little more, even on the first level, but this is a great start. I look forward to playing more in the future.
I didn't know what I was doing during the creation of the map and I still don't really. What I was trying to avoid was including way too many turns. How do you think it should be better? I mean, what kind of diversity do you think it's missing?

I can also have multiple monster origins and they can all have different pathing, even getting to different end-points, but I was avoiding that as to not make the first level too complex (like an introductory level).

By the way, any of you had any trouble figuring the UI/Controls out? I couldn't tell if I did a good job of making them easy to use.

Last edited:

Twisted1

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

Turns are an integral part of TDs... You don't need to branch the path too much or anything, but you need something interesting going on. Most people know how to play tower defenses. Look at some tower defense games on flash portals for ideas. The map is fine for the first level, but it's basically a wavy line.

Are you planning on doing something with all those cities connected to the path? If not, I'd recommend not drawing paths to them.

The UI and controls were fine.

MajorKagami

Tentacle God
Reputation score

get to day 3 and no more enemy's time just ticks away and it gives me a error when trying to skip to the next day. got tired of holding F to end it so not sure what happens if I run time out.

Twisted1

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

get to day 3 and no more enemy's time just ticks away and it gives me a error when trying to skip to the next day. got tired of holding F to end it so not sure what happens if I run time out.
Right now you can only play up to Night 2 in the First Level, as I haven't designed the other waves (I don't even think the waves I did create are finished).
*cough*

Bandit224

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Set the update link to this thread instead of ulmf's general forum. That way, people will be able to find the thread easier if it happens to get buried.

OP
R

reddo

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

Set the update link to this thread instead of ulmf's general forum. That way, people will be able to find the thread easier if it happens to get buried.
Oops, I was actually going to remove that until I had a link! I forgot, sorry!
I was merely setting up the button for AFTER I had a thread, and the current link was just a placeholder.

SethK

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

Super old necro but..

Any chance of a reup for this one? :j

Kiwi&Melon

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I'm always down for a tower defence H game, but I wish that the visuals were a little nicer..