What's new

Great Day For Linux Users!!!

Hand Solo

Demon Girl
Reputation score
An hour ago I figured out how to run Japanese games(i.e. ROA) in Ubuntu 10.10 via Wine.

Step 1: Install CJK(Chinese, Japanese, Korean) languages via "System=>Admininstration=>Lanuage Support".

Step 2: Download the game you want to play and extract files(if applicable) to a folder of your choice.

Step 3: Open Terminal and "cd" to the directory where the game .exe is located.

Step 4: Type "locale -a" and verify that you have ja_JP.utf8(for Japanese games) in the list. If not, make sure you downloaded the entire language pack(can verify in Synaptic).

Step 5: Type "LANG=ja_JP.utf8 wine <name of game>.exe

Step 6: Start fapping away!!!

Note: This is THE ONLY way I have been able to play Japanese games in Linux.

Legrandxav

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Great Day For Linux Users!!!

Or get a Windows.

Yeah I know, I'm trolling but I couldn't miss this joke.

OP
H

Hand Solo

Demon Girl
Reputation score

:eek: My ears...they BLEED!! :D

The sad thing is, the game animation is smoother and clearer on Ubuntu using Wine than it is on Windows 7(I used to use that).

Hentaispider

Lord of the Tap Dance \oO.Oo/ (And Reputation Mana
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

Or get a Windows.

Yeah I know, I'm trolling but I couldn't miss this joke.
Enjoying your viruses?

Dr_Maricon

Lurker
Reputation score

Shut up and go for dual-boot.

pervomano

Lurker
Reputation score

Wine kicks ass. Though we can always run a VM.

dergrubben

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. The other solutions for running wine under Japanese were convoluted and didn't work, but yours is simple and has the advantage of, you know, working.

For those using a distro other than Ubuntu, you'll want to search simply for ja_JP, rather than for ja_JP.utf8. In my case (Debian), the file in question ended up actually being ja_JP.UTF-8. Of course, maybe I just downloaded a slightly different language pack back when I was trying to get it working?

Legrandxav

Lurker
Reputation score

Enjoying your viruses?
No I have Anti-virus (and i'm very prudent)!

Anyway I found sad the poor quantity of game working both on linux and windows.

Maybe one day...

OP
H

Hand Solo

Demon Girl
Reputation score

@dergrubben
Thank you. I understand what you mean. I just tried the same method on OpenSUSE(great distro BTW--best KDE definitely) 11.3 and could not get it to work. This was only three weeks ago.

I'm still having an issue with the downloads however. It seems this method still only works to files that are encoded with a (dialect?) that is recognizable by FreeType fonts. Example: Google "Rsaga" and go to te devs website. All of the .rar files are fully recognizable, but all of the .zip files are not. I can only assume this has to do with how the files themselves were encoded as I have found .rar from other sites that can not be fully recognized.

I will keep experimenting and see if I can find anything out soon. Wish me luck!