What's new

H-game soundtracks?

Myuu

Reputation score
I have decided to stop lurking! And amazingly, not to post some random comment on a game or to announce an interesting find! Nah, I have a potentially extremely silly subject to bring up.

It may seem extremely silly but I like to actually have the soundtracks/music of many of the games I played and saw. This include ripping, when the music is not available for download. And yes, absurdly, that include H-games too.

However, I've found that some quirks make ripping themes from those games a rather surprisingly huge pain. The worst case being Multimedia Fusion games where muting the SFX also mute the music and sound effects, inexplicably, will keep looping as if the game was going normally even if you pause it or even hold the X button to "freeze" the game.

And from what I'm reading, getting the resources from such games is an absolute, utter pain.

Just wondered if I was weird.

DarkFire1004

Tentacle Goddess of the H-Section
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score
You know, I've always had a passing interest in this as well. I'm by no means musically inclined, but I've always found it interesting how music in H-games is one of those things that take a backseat, when normally, music is considered a major part of video game production. It's understandable, given the subject, but most games usually just take free domain music and call it a day.

For instance, I've always liked from Monster Girl Quest, and was always slightly curious about who wrote it. Then, I ended up hearing the same song as the first level's music for Unholy Sanctuary. It was one of those first moments where I really started wondering where H-game developers were getting their music from. Did Unholy Sanctuary just rip it from MGQ? Is this song actually freeware? If it's the latter, it's crazy good for being something that's just distributed freely.

I can't remember where I first came across this artist, but I remember following a trail of related piano music composers, and somehow coming across , who composed music that was apparently for free. At the time, I never really paid much attention to why it was free, and I did find his music length to be a bit short, but really enjoyable. I ended up downloading all the piano music on that website and to this day, still listen to it. It wasn't until I played Their Happiest Hour that I realized that his music was actually used as freeware music for stuff like indie games. When that first stage loaded and I heard music from my own playlist, I thought I was going crazy.

I think that music in H-Games is really underrated sometimes. They can hide some real gems that people overlook because of the subject matter always being about smut. Granted, pretty much all of it is free domain music, or stuff you grab off of RPG Maker's standard library, but I feel like there's an unnecessary stigma attached to free music. Like when you hear elevator music (like muzak); actual effort did go into making something that was easy-listening and enjoyable, but because of its nature as background sounds, you don't notice it. But with my example with Ontama, for instance, if you got to experience the music as its own product, instead of a component of a larger product, you come to realize that they actually stand on their own quite easily.

So yeah, I don't think you're alone on this thought. I've honestly started paying attention to credits pages on H-games now because they tend to actually source their music, which I can look up later. And plus, it's really cool to look into something that's people don't think about often. It makes you appreciate work put into a product, even if it is just grabbing some freeware and slapping it in a basic RPG Maker game.

To talk more about your problem with trying to rip music, I think you're better off looking for the source, rather than trying to take it out of the game. If one game has the song, chances are there's a trail you can follow to find its source. And who knows? Maybe you'll find more of the artist that you'll really enjoy.

Last edited:

helltauros

Reputation score
most of monmusu quest are awesome.
some of depravia (like the boss theme is also pretty cool.
also timer night kagura (i even have that one on my cellphone)
witch girl also the theme from the sucubus boss is cool

sometimes you prefer an eargasm than an orgasm

OP
M

Myuu

Reputation score
That is actually quite interesting to know! I expected adult games to usually use their own themes and that the reason why music was sometimes reused in projects was because it was difficult for them to get music composers willing to make a new, fitting soundtrack every entry.

Of course, to follow that trail, the games need to have credits/staff roll sequences. Or at least, a credits page. I noticed there's not always one.

gnomebody

Reputation score
Of course, to follow that trail, the games need to have credits/staff roll sequences. Or at least, a credits page. I noticed there's not always one.
I've noticed that credit for freeware assets is frequently given in the readme file. Just skimmed through my recently-restarted collection and all but one game had a .txt file that contained names and links for where the BGM came from.