• Parodies

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • Original

Votes: 26 72.2%

• Total voters

Shinji62

Demon Girl
Reputation score
I'm looking to start making an H game, and I have a couple of ideas planned out pretty well. I just have a question for the community here, would you rather play a game with parodies of existing characters, or original characters?

the_taken

King of the Impossible
Reputation score
Re: Hey look, a poll.

Parody characters have the advantage that you can pull from the existing lore and story so that you can go right into your dirty perverted fan fiction without having to set up too much background and lore, since that has already been done. It is easy to take a story and say, "Up to this point everything was normal, but then blah blah blah secret love blah blah blah learned seduction skills blah blah blah magical giant internet penis."
Popular characters also have the benefit of being popular. It is really fun to see them getting the sweet reward of sexual release, or infamous characters suffer the humiliation of sexual torment if you're into that, as it tickles that part of the hind-brain that wondering if this or that person is getting their doctor recommended horizontal bogey time.
The downside is that you can easily get the characterisation wrong, turning your parody into a mockery of the original, or a cheap doppelganger with the same name and face as the original.

Original characters are a lot less stressful to write, as you only have to keep track of what you come up with. This makes them more intuitive for you, the creator, to work with.
The downside is that you have to put more effort into creating them, and more effort into establishing the character to the audience. Watching random people bone get's boring fast. It's the emotions behind the happy fun tiem that really engages an audience and will give you return viewers/readers/players.

So do whatever the fuck you want. Just put as much thought, effort and passion as you can afford to. Look up design principles and stuff to figure out how much work you should be doing. Especially if this is your first project.

Cray Cray Toaster

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I think The Taken did a pretty good job saying everything that I could say myself, which is great because I don't have to write anything much.

But personally Parody characters are most likely the best choices to go for, that is if you have trouble building up a story and a lore connected to an OC.
Damn I think he also talked about that part... I suppose if you really want to make a character on your own you'd need some hype up the back story before making anything with it or just put up a sheet with general info on them and see what others thinks of them, it'll save you a lot of time if they hate one like wise if they adore one. Most importantly, listening to the peoples feedback on the OC, of course since it's your character you can ignore everyone and consider it your precious child.

With that block of text I just wrote down, I think an OC is most definitively a more enjoyable path to take if you're up to the challenge. Otherwise surfing on the "pre-made" one is also an easy ride but, you still have to stay true-ish to the lore unless you want a huge mess.

Stuffie

TouchFluffyEars
Reputation score

*voted for original characters*

Good luck with your game project, I look forward to your presentation thread once you're there to show your work!
*coughcoughPatreoncough*

FargoonU

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Saw a poll so I Polled ! "Original Characters"

IHavenoidea321

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Voting for Original Characters since that way you have a more unique game.

OP
Shinji62

Shinji62

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

I'm pretty surprised that Original characters has such a commanding lead. I've only ever done projects with parodied characters, so doing one with original characters will be interesting. I'll have to start moving forward with my original idea. Once I have something to show, I'll be posting it here for sure. I've got the pre-production planning done, but I've still got a lot of design work to go before I can start actually making the game. Hopefully I'll have something to show relatively soon though.

MrMe

Lurker
Reputation score

You can always make an original character thats a parody of an existing character.

Fuck, worked for Deadpool!

dudes_tractor_yeah

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

A mix of both.

Without going all into LOL SUU RANDUMxdxdxd territory.

Still one way or another your OC will be a parody of some other character.

Kiwi&Melon

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I like original characters because that way there's less of a chance of me having a bias against them for something to do with the parody'd character-- like if I found the parody'd character to be annoying or something. No chance of that with OCs.

Blaire

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I'd love to see an assortment of both original and parody characters. Somewhere along the lines of the original characters playing out the main story with the parody characters being an optional encounter along the game.