What's new

How To Make Windows 10 More Selective In Language Display?

Boxtie

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Back when I was using Windows 7, I can have downloaded games be displayed in Japanese and have my computer displayed in English, like the scanner or other programs, allowing me to utilize them.

In Windows 10, it seems to be "one or the other".
If I want the zips and rar files be extracted properly into Japanese and not some garbled text, I need to set Windows to Japanese language setting but as a result, everything else becomes Japanese as well.
This is inconvenient because a proper language change requires me to restart the computer.

I don't know how Windows 7 did it but it managed to keep the downloaded games from DLsite in Japanese but not everything else.

Is there a way for Windows 10 to selectively display downloaded Japanese files in its proper text, leaving other applications like Game Bar, etc. in English?

Bryanis

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score
Just change the unicode language (administration tab, not the date and time -format tab) to japanese.

Some picky game refuse to display properly with just that, but so far, in those few case, using LE worked fine on my side.

Else you can also force winrar to use japanese setting to uncompress using keeping japanese name (open winrar, option tab => name encoding - or ctrl + E as shortcut - an select not default but 932 (ANSI/OEM japanese). Winrar should use japanese language as reference and gave the correct name to uncompressed file.

OP
Boxtie

Boxtie

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Just change the unicode language (administration tab, not the date and time -format tab) to japanese.

Some picky game refuse to display properly with just that, but so far, in those few case, using LE worked fine on my side.

Else you can also force winrar to use japanese setting to uncompress using keeping japanese name (open winrar, option tab => name encoding - or ctrl + E as shortcut - an select not default but 932 (ANSI/OEM japanese). Winrar should use japanese language as reference and gave the correct name to uncompressed file.
Thanks, for now I'm just using my scanner in Japanese, trying to remember which action is which.

I don't have Winrar and currently using 7-zip.
I'll check it out.

Bryanis

Reputation score
w7-zip shouldn't have special setting require to uncompress archive with japanese name.
If it happen, it's 99% that the file was messed up when archived (random uploader) or that your zip version is really old compare to the one use to compress the files.

OP
Boxtie

Boxtie

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
w7-zip shouldn't have special setting require to uncompress archive with japanese name.
If it happen, it's 99% that the file was messed up when archived (random uploader) or that your zip version is really old compare to the one use to compress the files.
As mentioned, I didn't have any of this problem back in Windows 7.
I just switched to a newer computer with Windows 10 when this problem starts showing up.
It didn't matter if I used Winrar or 7zip back then.

Bryanis

Reputation score
well, I switched to from 7 to 10, And I just had to switch unicode to jap after installing asian language (one reboot from the PC), and everything A-OK when uncompressing and I'm not having date / number format issue and all the rest of my window bar & app are in my local languague :p

OP
Boxtie

Boxtie

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
well, I switched to from 7 to 10, And I just had to switch unicode to jap after installing asian language (one reboot from the PC), and everything A-OK when uncompressing and I'm not having date / number format issue and all the rest of my window bar & app are in my local languague :p
Everything seems to be in English for now, even miscellaneous stuff like the Game Bar.
I switched the local setting to Japanese but for the "Language Preference", I prioritized English (arranged the language sets so that English is on top of the list).

However, my scanner is still in Japanese.
I don't know how to specifically set my scanner to be in English.

If it helps, it's a CanoScan LiDE 200.

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Everything seems to be in English for now, even miscellaneous stuff like the Game Bar.
I switched the local setting to Japanese but for the "Language Preference", I prioritized English (arranged the language sets so that English is on top of the list).

However, my scanner is still in Japanese.
I don't know how to specifically set my scanner to be in English.

If it helps, it's a CanoScan LiDE 200.
The problem is that some applications use the codepage of the system (i.e. the non-UTF application language setting) to determine the language to use rather than the Language Preference. It seems that your scanners application for Windows 10 is one of these (Norton Antivirus is another).

If you want the scanner interface fixed, then I'd guess that you'd have to revert to the English codepage, and then the following bits of advice for running Japanese stuff:

1) WinRar has an option to change the encoding of a ZIP file, so you can set it to cp932 or Shift-JIS. Alternatively, you can use sjisunzip ( ). 7-Zip does not have support for ZIP files which are encoded in a different codepage. Note that the problem you're facing is quite normal - some ZIP files are encoded with Unicode, but there's still a lot which use cp932.
2) Use Locale Emulator ( ) to run programs that require the Japanese cp932 codepage. It can be a bit of a faff to set up, but it's the best solution I've found.

JustLurksHere

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
...I think you wanted to say: up to this date, 80%+ zip archives you get to download *aren't* using Unicode extension and - as such - use whatever codepage they were created in without actually storing which codepage it was.
It the reason why I despise that container format.

OP
Boxtie

Boxtie

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
The problem is that some applications use the codepage of the system (i.e. the non-UTF application language setting) to determine the language to use rather than the Language Preference. It seems that your scanners application for Windows 10 is one of these (Norton Antivirus is another).

If you want the scanner interface fixed, then I'd guess that you'd have to revert to the English codepage, and then the following bits of advice for running Japanese stuff:

1) WinRar has an option to change the encoding of a ZIP file, so you can set it to cp932 or Shift-JIS. Alternatively, you can use sjisunzip ( ). 7-Zip does not have support for ZIP files which are encoded in a different codepage. Note that the problem you're facing is quite normal - some ZIP files are encoded with Unicode, but there's still a lot which use cp932.
2) Use Locale Emulator ( ) to run programs that require the Japanese cp932 codepage. It can be a bit of a faff to set up, but it's the best solution I've found.
It's weird, because even with 7zip, I was able to unpack Japanese items without much hassle and my scanner isn't in Japanese back in Windows 7.
This problem only happened once I started using Windows 10.

Thanks to all who responded, as I mentioned, I will get Winrar.

TheUnsaid

Reputation score
NTLEAS solves all of these problems. Even the picky games.