What's new

In today's news...

Crawdaddy

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Re: In today's news...

Yeah, it's old, but it serves the purpose.

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Did he say majority?

Also, that is from December.
Given the grammar, muslims are our sports heroes, it implies that ONLY muslims are sports heroes. Now yes this is a tweet from a xenophobic joke of a human, about a quote from someone else so I figured I'd try to tone down the crazy a bit from all to majority however, I probably should have gone further and replaced 'majority' with 'significant portion'.

xgkf

Tentacle God
Reputation score

It's most likely a small fraction of an excerpt from a speech/comments that was being given about how ridiculous it is to want to bar muslims from the country.

Something like "...they are our friends, our neighbors, our co-workers, our sports heroes..." etc., would be my guess.

Crawdaddy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Here, I'll spoonfeed y'all the source:

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

No it doesn't.
It's inductive logic and I'm overthinking it, but with only those 5 words taken out of context, yes it does. Just like : Nuclear missiles are our deterrents.

Moot point anyway with the source of the quote providing welcomed context. Makes one wonder exactly how Trump would interpret the constitution, maybe he actually believes that religious segregation camps ARE constitutional.

xgkf

Tentacle God
Reputation score

"Muslim Americans are our friends and our neighbors, our co-workers, our sports heroes -- and, yes, they are our men and women in uniform who are willing to die in defense of our country," Mr. Obama said. "We have to remember that."

lol, holy shit. I got that right almost word-for-word. XD

Cappy

Reputation score

I think that barring a religion from a country based on a political situation that isn't universal among it's followers is extreme. What I don't think is extreme is deporting illegal immigrants, and yet that seems to be considered an extreme position. Why? If a homeless man sneaked into your house at night you would probably call the police or force him out yourself, why on earth would you, in a place that already has unemployment issues and seemingly no upcoming plans to expand local industry, accept every tom, dick, and juarez who wants to come in when literally the first thing they do upon entry is break the law?

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I mean, when entering is breaking the law, then technically all of them have to break the law first thing they do when they get in this country.

Like abortion, I think illegal immigrants is a strange political go-to when it is the last step in a series of other incidents which are already buggered and could be politically influenced for the better, like fixing our immigration process. Personally, the thing I don't like is the argument for inevitability. People act like the inevitability of an action should play into whether or not we make it illegal. "They're going to keep coming in anyway, and there's nothing we can do to stop that" carries about as much worth and sense as either statements of "People are gonna to smoke marijuana anyway, just leave them alone," and "murder has been a problem in every society ever, from the smallest of developing communities to the largest of industrial nations, you can't stop it." Although laws on a moral ground can be shaky, you don't stop yourself from acting on the principal of something just because it's a losing battle. What you do, is address all the other factors that cause you to lose that battle, and attempt to lose it a little less.

Last edited:

Cappy

Reputation score

Well I wonder, what would it take to fix the American immigration process? I've got to say I don't know much about it other than that 15 year old me found it rather complicated and restrictive. Getting hired from abroad has gotta be difficult if unemployment is one of the countries most pressing issues. So only people who are well educated and specialized can really pull it off iirc, unless they abuse other laws in order to worm their way in, via domestic means such as having a child in country.

Unfortunately, I don't really see a way for the kind of poverty stricken people suffering from the cartel or things of that nature to immigrate legally without it being driven by some sort of government subsidy or non-profit organization. And America's already losing money whilst in debt, so keeping in mind that the finances are already in a bad position, I'm thinking that the latter sounds more likely.

Crawdaddy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

It's hard to argue against a policy of enforcing already existing laws, to be honest. However, what's funny is that Obama has deported more illegal immigrants than any other US president in history.

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

The solution would be to infiltrate and usurp the cartels, use the profits made to dig our country out of debt and set up competition for the Chinese manufacturing giant. Once that is taken care of then annex Central and South America, shut down the existing drug operations and salt the earth anywhere it's feasible to grow the shit. Mexico: SAVED! U.S.: SAVED! China: FUUUUUCKED!

Let the CIA do it's JOB people!

Cappy

Reputation score

As long as their job doesn't include administering random untested narcotics and substances on the involuntary and unknowing public. Again.

xgkf

Tentacle God
Reputation score

They don't need to, the hospitals and pharmaceutical companies have that well more than taken care of.

handofdoz

Lurker
Reputation score

AceofWind

Tentacle God
Reputation score

We've lost another fighter, Kimbo Slice, a well known mixed martial arts competitor died yesterday of heart failure. R.I.P

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

After watching all of his stereotypical backyard fight videos and listening to his 'hype' team, and just by his sheer look, I thought I knew what to expect when he was *gifted* a spot on the Ultimate Fighter (where everyone else had to fight their way in while he was given a special entrance and introduction after that). But his quiet and respectful approach to learning the game came off as nothing but humble and I was incredibly surprised by how he talked to people and addressed his own faults even over his skills. He wasn't a street punk who wanted to fight because fighting was all he knew, and he wasn't some elitist boxer-type who thought he already had everything he needed to succeed. He knew that he needed to learn and sounded like he couldn't wait to get the lessons in. His background may have been incredibly shady at times but, although it ended up failing him, he had a good heart.

AceofWind

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Gawker has just filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy

Crawdaddy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Hmm, feeling a bit less comfortable with this now that I know there's some vindictive billionaire playing the legal system. But then whoever's got the money plays it, I guess.

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

To be fair, it's just some guy with a grudge. He could have gotten a kickstarter or similar going to get Gawker downed too, and with how many people Gawker has been pissing off it would have likely succeeded anyway

You just can't be a dick to everyone and piss in everyone's cornflakes without people taking note