What's new

*Interest Check* Houses of Steam (Mafia Style Game)

DocileSissie

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Houses of Steam

Houses of Steam is a mafia style game where each game of it will have an effect on the next and so on. It takes place in a world that is going through a steam revolution throughout the most of the known world. During each game every player will be given a character to play during that game so each living character at the end has a chance of being replayed and will have an effect of the story line of the game.

Characters, the players will be given a character each game. This does not mean these character will have the same roles or players controlling them. The goal of having a character is to keep that character alive until the game is over so please keep that in mind.

The Steam Revolution is a driving factor in the role play of this game, but I will get more into detail with that if interest is shown. This is hopefully be more then a standard mafia game, I hope to see some role play in it seeing the character come to life with their own personality. Besides all the fluff stuff it will be a pretty much standard mafia game

I'm asking for interest mainly since the last mafia style game on this forum looks dead. So please post if you have interest or have questions.

sturm

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Re: *Interest Check* Houses of Steam (Mafia Style Game)

I don't recall ever having played a game like that before, but color me interested! So am I to understand that you will create the characters and we will play them to the best of our abilities?

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

I do enjoy a good game like this now and again. Suppose what'll determine if I play will be the roles and rules and whatnot. I'll wait and see, but at least pencil me in.

OP
DocileSissie

DocileSissie

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I don't recall ever having played a game like that before, but color me interested! So am I to understand that you will create the characters and we will play them to the best of our abilities?
Yes I will create the characters and PM you the some brief background so you will have a feel for what kind of person they are. Here is a link to standard mafia rules wiki. mafiascum .net/index.php?title=Newbie_Guide

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I am okay with playing DTT or "Mafia" but like Copper, I think it better if I know the standard roles.

Also I'm a little afraid because when I play Mafia I tend to play the game and not get caught up in the roleplay (because too much roleplay often leads to the good guys losing -- the right questions just don't get asked or get muddled amongst all the roleplay.)

Then there's the whole deal with the issue of the 'right' way to play. Roleplay or aggressive claiming and counterclaiming and looking at the hard numbers to get a good result for your team. Whoever is the Detective or Seer (the one who gets to look for Mafia at night) has to know that it's better for them to claim who they are rather than just say "you'll really regret killing me!" and then letting themselves die.

It's frustrating to me when players do stuff like that. And if they're new to the concept of the game, it's not really their fault. But then when you try to tell them during the game what certain roles should be doing , you get accused of telling people 'the right way' to play and the consensus is that you're just being a dick.

I really like Mafia-esque games, but I've had bad experiences playing them on this forum, and it really wasn't any fun in the end (despite having actually figured out who the Mafia were and being on the way to win, everyone just decided to stop playing because people tired of arguing.)

So.... I guess, it depends on your ruleset, the good to-evil ratio you plan to use, and it depends on the players sort of agreeing to what they want out of the game, really.