What's new

Making RPG Maker Mods

seven182

Reputation score
Hello
If i want to create a mod of an existing rpgvx ace game, how i start? i have the game, i have rpg maker vx ace, what else i need to start modifying a game?
ej: i want to modify the monsters hp, atk, def, add/remove things in the map, adding new scenes.
Any help is welcome, thanks.

Bryanis

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score
If you got the corresponding rpg maker software, all you need is to learn how to use the software.
Everything you need to modify the game is the rpg maker soft.

monster, item, skill... are all in the database.

The only thing you might want is the all decrypter tool that will allow you to create a project exe linked to the game (you need a project exe for rpg maker to open the game and modify it (soft attached).

rpg project.jpg
Since it's a rpg maker you'll want to click as follow on the soft having selected the game exe.

It will generate a file like this one. It's the one you'll open with rpg maker vx ace to open the game and be able to edit it.
rpg project 2.jpg
There lot of faq and whatsnot about making & editing game and using rpg maker on internet.

The only troublesome parts you may encounter are 1) japanese (or other language) which may cause some bug if you change the name (since some custom script use the name and not the monster / item / skill number).
2) custom script that you may want to edit / add. They can easily be broken / incorrectly added (or interfere with each other)

Attachments

OP
seven182

seven182

Reputation score
Thanks a lot for your help bro! :D
about the troublesomes, that' s why i' m gonna start practicing with english games hehe

Bryanis

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score
Well, usually item/mob/skill... are called by their number in the list. But a few dev use name or even text in the note section of skill / item / mob...
So if you change name.... be very careful.

Else, it's more the common event name that can cause problem (or custom script, but really, avoid that at the beginning).

There lot of translator with modding skill and some member that develop rpg maker made game. So don't hesitate to came back with questions if you have them (I'm rather at the end of my limited skill, having just done some translation stuff myself) - just don't forget to explain in detail your problem to get a good answer.

Oh, and good luck ;)