What's new

Making Your Own Games?

Boxtie

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Is there a thread to discuss about making your own games on this forum?
I'm interested in making one using hand-drawn animations but a bit 50-50 on whether it should be overhead view (like RPG Maker) or side-scrolling (using Unity).

Do H-game developers draw their own map assets or do they download/buy these assets?
I can draw character animation sprites and have some experience but not sure about drawing the backgrounds, like rocks, forest paths and trees.

But if I ever make a game, it will most likely be "R-15" rated, like Foxeye's stuff.

Apologies if there is already a thread or discussion about this, I don't know the right keyword to look for such a thread.

DarkFire1004

Tentacle Goddess of the H-Section
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score
The Under Construction section used to be for that, and actually still has all of the original threads where people asked about doing that sort of thing. You can still post a thread in there regarding that, but I'd recommend putting it in this section instead, as it probably won't get washed from the discussion of other threads.

Bryanis

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score
Well, I'm not a dev, but from the amount of game I played, many rpg maker game use pre made asset (except the H art - and not always), while unity seem to be much more self made / modified.

I guess it's mainly because rpg maker as a long history and is rather user friendly for beginner, so a lot of different asset are avaiable for free or cheap to customize a lot your own game (you can even get some pre made script for lot of things).

Another point is that drawning is a totally different skill than programing. Creating game need some programing (if only understanding what to copy / paste for simple rpg maker game), while drawning map, character.... require drawning skill which usually need quite a lot of time & work to develop.

OP
Boxtie

Boxtie

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
The Under Construction section used to be for that, and actually still has all of the original threads where people asked about doing that sort of thing. You can still post a thread in there regarding that, but I'd recommend putting it in this section instead, as it probably won't get washed from the discussion of other threads.
Thanks for the response.

Another point is that drawning is a totally different skill than programing. Creating game need some programing (if only understanding what to copy / paste for simple rpg maker game), while drawning map, character.... require drawning skill which usually need quite a lot of time & work to develop.
I have experience working with programmers a few times, so probably need some assistance with that.
But it might help if I download RPG Maker or Unity, so I can do something on my end than just drawing.

I can maybe do some minor edits for backgrounds but making an entire stage might be difficult for me.

Last edited:

maxthegay

Lurker
Reputation score
rpg maker is tool that even artists with no programing experience can manage, the downside is obviously less power and much harder to implement something custom. I'd suggest diff engine than rpg maker if you're a little ambitious, speaking of which, what theme have you planned for your game?

OP
Boxtie

Boxtie

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
rpg maker is tool that even artists with no programing experience can manage, the downside is obviously less power and much harder to implement something custom. I'd suggest diff engine than rpg maker if you're a little ambitious, speaking of which, what theme have you planned for your game?
Probably too ambitious but I wanted:

- Overhead view where the characters face 8 directions (meaning I have to draw & animate every player/enemy character 5 times but I have brainstormed some corner-cutting methods to make this easier on me).

- Stealth.

- Main fetish focus is bondage, restraining and imprisonment, aka the whole "Damsels In Distress" thing. R-15 in mind, so there is no nudity or intercourse. May also include other R-15 fetishes, like petrification, groping, tickling or stuck in hole on wall.

- Non-scripted capture sequence, where player characters can be caught by enemies, tied up and imprisoned, shifting to an "escape" mini-game. Restrained girls struggling to free themselves from their imprisonment or bondage is a super specific fetish for me.

- Escape sequence will be fully animated, I have an example for an animation I just completed for another R-15 game:
DIDnapper2_Seles_Hogtie.gif

- I wanted the game to be a mix of Zelda-styled action RPG but with stealth but the programmer I'm partnering with says that it may be impossible with his current experience and I have to either choose between "stealth game where you're just avoiding enemies" or "being able to fight with enemies like in Zelda". For now, I chose the former.

- The protagonist I have in mind is a young elf girl. The story is simple: she is kidnapped by slavers when the cart she's in crashed and now she has to make her way back home.
Kimana_4dA.jpg

maxthegay

Lurker
Reputation score
Well the whole Van fantasy is not my thing but I don't see a problem with stealth. Simply tick a boolean variable and code in secondary detection range for the baddies that is much shorter. If you want a fancy stealth instead (like hiding in the shadows and behind objects) that will take a bit more effort but it's just additional ruleset for the static stealth trigger aka you're in a shadow and dynamic one for aspiring dungeon masters if heroine is in their detection range but there is object (such as crate) in between them.

So far this all sounds very doable in something like rpgmaker mv, there is very likely already lib for both the 8 directions and the stealth for just about any engine suited for it, all you need is some basic understanding of the code if you wanted to customize it a bit yourself.

Karagee

Reputation score
Here's some engine many people used
  1. RPG Maker: from RPG to VN but it's troublesome, Little to no experience of programming needed, google sensei and forums will help you.
  2. Ren'py: Hard to make RPG but easy to do VN. needs to learn some Python language, google sensei and forum will help you.
  3. Unity: Jack of all trades, but need to do everything from scratch. needs to learn 3D modelling to make 3D stuff (Blender) or do 2D in which both need C# as the programming language. Again google sensei and forum will help you.
Does programmer always google stuff when they don't know how to? 90% of the time yes, Stack Overflow for life!

euforia

Reputation score
If you are planning to do 2D games i would recommend you to use Godot engine, Its free and open source, it have a Visual scripting language for people who doesn't like code too much. I personally recommend it since i have some experience with unity making 2d games (though never finished a project up to now), its a big pain because unity was born as a 3d engine so you have to understand some 3d related stuff in order to avoid possible issues with your code. If you are interested in programming ( or in need ), GDScript is more friendly than C#.

OP
Boxtie

Boxtie

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
If you are planning to do 2D games i would recommend you to use Godot engine, Its free and open source, it have a Visual scripting language for people who doesn't like code too much. I personally recommend it since i have some experience with unity making 2d games (though never finished a project up to now), its a big pain because unity was born as a 3d engine so you have to understand some 3d related stuff in order to avoid possible issues with your code. If you are interested in programming ( or in need ), GDScript is more friendly than C#.
It was suggested to me a long time ago and I have already downloaded it.
I was gonna go ahead and make a side-scrolling game but decided to stick with development for the current game I'm working with.

euforia

Reputation score
It was suggested to me a long time ago and I have already downloaded it.
I was gonna go ahead and make a side-scrolling game but decided to stick with development for the current game I'm working with.
I forgot to mention GameMaker, i haven't tested it yet but there are some great games made with it. Unfortunately its paid so i can't afford it