What's new

RPG Active [Mminitdev] Night Labyrinths (Public Demo V0) [12/29/23]

scrumpy80

Demon Girl
Reputation score

, creator of Lewdest Labyrinth, has published a demo for his next game. If you've been following his twitter, you've probably seen that his art has improved a lot since his last game. After playing it, I'm pretty sure this isn't a sequel to Lewdest Labyrinth, despite the title.

Night Labyrinths is a turn based dungeon crawler with a mix of handmade and randomly generated dungeons. The night spawns monster filled labyrinths that manifest throughout the city, luring it's citizens into them. Your goal is to navigate each labyrinth to reach the staircase to the next floor, mystery dungeon style. The gameplay is very simple; Attack the enemy in front of you with the Z (or whatever you've bound as the confirm button) button until it dies. When enemies attack you, lewd cut-ins will sometimes appear, and their attacks raise your tension meter, which makes you more vulnerable when it maxes out. The enemy variety is mostly tentacles and humans, with some other types of monsters, similar to his previous game. When you lose you're sent back to your home which acts like a hub area for you to purchase items to use on the next attempt. This game is a rogue-lite, so you lose your levels, skills and items whenever a run ends win or lose, but there are multiple ways to grow and gain more stats, so the game gets easier even when you lose. For example, when you map enough tiles during a run, you gain a permanent bonus to HP, and later to another stat, as an exploration bonus. You can also purchase permanent stat upgrades from the shop once you unlock the upgrades by exploring.

The game has a skill system where enemies drop random skills for you to acquire, adding some variety to runs. There's also a system where the skills you find are either "normal" or "perverted/pink". The latter skill pool is accessed by drinking an aphrodisiac or changing to topless mode while in the home base. There are alternate modes planned that you access through the "preparation" menu in the home base, but at the moment the only option is to activate topless mode, which changes the standing sprite to be topless, changes your stat scaling as you level up, and starts your skills in perverted mode.

The controls are as follows (These can be customized in the settings):
WASD - Movement
Q - Strafe Left
E - Strafe Right
X / Left Click - Attack / Confirm
Z - Wait / Cancel
Enter - Interact (doors, stairs)
Tab - Item Shortcut
ESC - Menu
Right click will also close menus
Gamepad controls are supported, please see the key config in game
Controls can be changed in game

After having played through the demo's content, I think it's a pretty strong start. I may be a little biased since I was a fan of the first game. Wish there was more penetration though, most of it is groping and stuff I'd call "light". Most of the good stuff in the demo is found in the second area, but I cleared the first area twice before trying to take on the sewers. Apparently there's plans for game over CGs later, so I hope we get some hardcore gangbang scenes from those. By the way, I tagged this game as both RPG and ADV, but which is more appropriate for a dungeon crawler with no story element?

alias34

Cthulhu
Reputation score
I've been looking forward to this one for years, it's been in development for so long.
Gameplay is super fun imo, it's snappy, the UI is great, the controls feel good, the challenge feels adequate and grinding is fun.
But yeah I agree, the ero-content is quite tame so far. Which I don't think is a bad thing if mminit plans for the art to escalate in intensity over time, + we have yet to see the Game Over CGs that are supposedly planned. And to his credit, every enemy has at least 1 erotic cut-in so it's not a lack of quantity.

I wonder if the game is gonna feature different outfits again? The framework seems to be in place.

obligitury

Sex Demon
Reputation score
I freaking loved their lewdest labrynth game. Heres hoping for the clothes destruction.

Ghotty

Demon Girl
Reputation score
oh wow, that's a name i never thought i'd see again. nice.

Urosan

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
I freaking loved their lewdest labrynth game. Heres hoping for the clothes destruction.
There is clothing destruction (tearing, at least), but I'm not sure what triggers it. Possibly Tension.

Games Dude

Lurker
Reputation score
Kind of hoping for animated grabs myself.
Nice as that would be, I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you. The previous game didn't have animation of any sort I don't think, and I'm not seeing any indication he'll be changing that here.

J300mer

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Oh wow dev's back from teh dead
First game was a banger

OP
scrumpy80

scrumpy80

Demon Girl
Reputation score
I don't think animations are likely. I read on his old dev blog that he was trying to create an animation system for a different game project he planned before switching to making another dungeon crawler. The fact that he didn't continue to use it means it probably was too much work to make while also making the rest of the game. Maybe if this game sells well and we get LL2 after, he could try animation again. That would be awesome. But also a long time in the future.

unkownmyriad

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
I don't think animations are likely. I read on his old dev blog that he was trying to create an animation system for a different game project he planned before switching to making another dungeon crawler. The fact that he didn't continue to use it means it probably was too much work to make while also making the rest of the game. Maybe if this game sells well and we get LL2 after, he could try animation again. That would be awesome. But also a long time in the future.
Well that's a shame.

Justicex88

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Bought and loved Lewdest Labyrinth and this is shaping up to be even better.
As everyone has said earlier, it's tame so far, but even in the early demos for LL it was like that. When LL was closer to completion, most of the good stuff came in. *let him cook.original meme*

Jesus

The Father, The Son, The Holy Spirit
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
Does mminit have a blog or anything other than twitter and itch? Been radio silence for a couple months now

Reputation score
Does mminit have a blog or anything other than twitter and itch? Been radio silence for a couple months now
He used this for a while but looks like it is abandoned since 2021. I wouldn't hold out hope for even semi-frequent updates, but at least it appears over his long silence he was still developing.

OP
scrumpy80

scrumpy80

Demon Girl
Reputation score
He uses his twitter and his itch.io page for night labyrinths. There's only one blog post on itch.io but he also replied to a few comments. At this point we know his dev speed and tendency to go dark while working, so I actually have a good amount of faith in him to see this through, however long it takes.