What's new

Potential Modded Starbound Server Thing

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score
Currently experimenting with setting up a dedicated server for Starbound. Unsure how well it's going to work thus far, but curious if people would be willing to give such a thing a try, or if everyone's all been Starbound'd out from ages back?

There's a few basic plans I got to run the server, mainly when it comes to mods. At the moment, most of the mods I have from the Workshop are safe for multiplayer, and as far as I'm aware, there shouldn't BE too much issues. After the basics of planet stuff like Frakin' Universe and a modifier to the galaxy, there is several other mods I also use for visual things and so on. These are simple sprite edits and like music packs, they won't be required (though you will need to turn on Asset Mismatch in order to join the server then.)

I'll probably experiment a bit more before actually testing it out, so consider this jus an interest check for now.

Zilrax

Master of Kinky Fetishes. Or just Bitch if you pre
Reputation score
Re: Potential Modded Starbound Server Thing

I'll try it sure.

Aurani

Unknown Squid's Husband
Reputation score

Chances are I'll be completely burned out on everything Starbound has to offer in the next few days seeing as a friend and I have already hit pretty far into endgame.
But if I ever feel like doing some online shenanigans and get another race going, then maybe.

OP
lurker

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

Do plan on more content, don't worry. Considering I'm already subscribed to about 10 pages of Workshop mods, it should also be a little bit easier to sync people up to the server as well if they wish, specially as I know a decent amount of them aren't critical, like texture replacers for characters.

OP
lurker

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

Currently, I'm setting up a Steam Collection for the must-have mods to run the server. Aka anything that isn't just a texture swap or additional player colors. There is a few things I've picked up that aren't on Steam, but luckily they are only two mods and adding them to Starbound's main mod directory is pretty damn easy.

Also keep in mind, while I am not going to make the original mod loadout a 100% memespam of scum and villainy, I am willing to take requests for people that will be wanting various mods. For example, I'm not a fan of Dark Souls but if people bug enough, .

One last thing: I WILL be doing a full universe wipe before preparing the server to run, so the Outpost will sadly be reset again too. For those they'll be running new characters from some of the added options this won't be too big of an issue, but some of the shops won't be up to snuff until they're added fully.

Anyway, things you can expect to see, in the spoiler below:

Universe Changes
Tanz Lighting Overhaul - Grants dynamic shadows to almost every light in the game, and even some of the mod content.
Frakin' Universe - The biggest content dump that Starbound's ever gotten, done by one clearly dimented little man. From scientific research and eldrich abominations, FU's being the main headliner for the server
Frakin' Races - A new plugin that makes pretty much every up-to-date race in the game get entirely new and unique passive abilities. Floran gain photosynthesis and hunger-based berserking, Hylotl gain some impressive bonuses while underwater, Glitch require no breath and gain increased defense with chained Perfect Blocks, and so on and so forth.
Frakin' Music - New planetary background themes.
TrueSpace - Turns the universe into something closer to the universe we live in. Classifications and Temperature spreads make galaxies look a bit closer to reality.
TrueSpace Frakin' Universe Submod - Makes Frakin' Universe and TrueSpace work together, the added planet types of FU put into TrueSpace's design.
(TanzLO) Creeping Monsters! - Creepy things are creepy in the dark. Monsters only show up if it's bright enough!
Complete Weapon List at Biggy - See Below
Complete Augment List at Lana - See Above
More Starbound Critters/Frakin'Universe Critters - Adds various new passive mobs that inhabit the world, and grants the mobs the ability to be captured into static objects with a new capture net.

Character Creation and New Races
Xbawks Character Extender - Required to see all the new faces.
Avali - Fluffy space raptors with a fetish for aerogel and high tech weapons and style. A strange hybrid of sleek and clean sci-fi with tribal markings and banners.
Orcana - Porpoise people that focus on knowledge and enlightenment, with a psudo-Atlantian theme going for them. Features plenty of luminescence in their architecture.
Felins, Felins Fur+, Felins Objects+ and Felins Costume+ - Catfolk with a bit of a trashy mindset and disposition. Curiosity brought them to the stars, and may all cardboard boxes fear them!
Playable Fenerox - Cute things! Must hug! These two-word wonders were a NPC race added for 1.0, but now you can actually play these fennec-based, low tech species in a slightly WIP fashion.
Penguin Enabler - Become the short, swashbuckling Penguin race! Much like fenerox, kinda bare-bones, simply activating them and giving them a lot of placeholders.
Sergal Race Mod - Somethingsomething dangfurriessomething. Sergals are a low tech species, not given all the same bonuses as the vanilla races, and has a separate upgrade system for gear.
Viera Race Mod - The Viera of Ivalice, having been dragged to the stars by the call of the Wood. Brings along various Final Fantasy inspired furnishing and items, as well as a fragment of fashion sense.
Inkling Race - Another WIP race, but adds quite a bit of color to the Starbound universe. Why yes, this is a silly addition, what of it?
Familiars Race - A slightly shorter than average, bio-luminescent race that is admittedly one I haven't experimented with yet, so know very little about em.

Enhancements
Matter Manipulator Manipulator - Allows you to modify the settings of your manipulator on the fly, like the size of the affected area and liquid collection.
Racially Appropriate Ship Backgrounds - Grants the vanilla ships background blocks that better match the ascetics of the race. Glitch get castle bricks, Floran gain plant matter, Apex has some standard-issue backdrops, etc. etc.
Challenge Accepted - Save those challenge doors for later! Allows you to pick up and place Challenge Doors, and ones placed on your ship stay put and generate random challenges.
Easy Ingots - Turns ore into dust, allowing you to forge the dust into bars, doubling yield for the extra step.
Better Food (Expiry Times) - Tracks down the true rot time with food.
Extra Zoom Levels - Lets you zoom WAAAAY out or WAAAY in.
Large Lockers - GREATLY increases the size of vanilla race's ship lockers and storage lockers.
EverFrogg - Makes Frogg Furnishing's stock never have to refresh to see it all.
Enhanced Matter Manipulator - Increases the MM's power, range, and size by 1 more tier.
Enemies Aren't Stupid! - Increases the effectiveness of various NPC elements of the game, and makes some head-scratching things (like shelled enemies hiding in shells damaging the player) fixed and tweaked.
Enhanced Matter Manipulator Manipulator - Compatibility for the two mods.
More Avian Beaks - Chicken Avian! Platypus Avian! Pelican Avian?
Compact Crops - Makes all the original crops of Starbound only 1 block wide.
Earth's Finest - A massive crew overhaul. Improves basically everything on the crew side of things, and allows them to wear hats!
Chef Crewman - A crewman especially designed to help Survival players. Freezes the food bar when you're on the ship. He lacks any off-ship uses however and only uses standard-issue weapons.
Craftable Components - Returns the Tech Chip and Manipulator Segments from previous editions, and grants the ability to craft Upgrade Modules from Core Fragments again.

Weapons
The Game Hunter - Mark a target, and then kill them quickly to gain a stuffed version of the beast you say. Works on random generated monsters, standard monsters, bandits and cultists, bosses...
Tactical Weapons - Adds various other tricky trap weapons for the player to trick with the enemy, as well as buffs the Remote Grenade Launcher to make it fit the trap idea better.
Whipcraft - Allows you to craft a few of the whips in the game, as well as a few new ones.
Saryx.Inc E-Type Whip - Adds another form of high-tier whip should the one in Starbound disappoint you slightly.
Avali Rocket Launcher + Misc Stuff - Some fancy Avali add-ons in case they didn't have enough love yet.

Vehicles
Skizot's Dozers - Large bulldozers able to cut through massed amounts of dirt and soil, clearing the way to construct or w/e.
XS Mechs - Because giant mecha. Considering the changes to the universe, not quite as overpowered as previously...
The Yellow Submarine - Sadly the only underwater submersible that's been released yet...
Full Spectrum Hoverbikes - Lots of paint colors for the base hoverbikes, to match any palette!
Rusty and Rainbow Hoverbikes - Adds a lower-price, weaker hoverbike for a budget, and a higher-price, superpower hoverbike for speed freaks!
Autich - Star-based car dealership! Sells various hovercars for various prices.
Mecharachnid - As if the XS Mechs weren't capable of being base-destroying enough, the Mecharachnid has a beam that can melt people and terrifying melee capabilities, and the worse part is you have to BEAT it first!

Tech
Phase Shift Module - A cheaty sorta tech that allows you to form into the inmatterium. Will actively drain if you have a weapon and anything that's a dungeon or a generator will not allow you to phase through walls, but otherwise makes being a pacifist fun!
Active Stealth Module - A cloaking device, allowing you to skip the cardboard box and sneak around, getting backstab damage bonuses. Will run out of energy faster in high light and rapidly moving, while crouching will grant you positive energy regeneration.
Particle Thrust - An old tech reborn. Basically allows short-ranged flight capabilities.
UltraTechs - High-power uber techs unlocked with story progression, these allow you to move around and remove some of the limiters of the original tech mods.

Blocks, New Stations, and Tiles
New Tiles and Greebles - Various funky shapes and a few random tiles, both original and from earlier versions of the game.
Item Frame - Place item frames you can stuff your prizes into.
Universal Uncrafter - This device allows you to recycle most items into some of the base components, in case you are a thrifty person.
Ground-Penetrating Radar Station - Scan deep into the planet and get the topigraphical details, such as ore deposits.
Portable Outpost - Allows you to get secondary versions of a LOT of the stations from the Outpost, or allows you to purchase them.
Themed Colony Deeds - Various colony deeds based off various sources and areas.
Graviton Elevators - HIGH TECH ELEVATION DEVICES!
Universal Prism EPP - THE ULTIMATE EPP! Requires materials from a Prism biome and the Architect's Table level of technology. Comes in both pet collar and EPP versions.
Protectorate Furniture - Various Protectorate styles of items.
Pixel Goods Store - Unique furniture and items, offered for every race!
More Craftable Blocks - Exactly what it says on the tin...
Holographic Dancers - Well, this IS for ULMF. Dancing holographic dancers to enjoy for the sake of cheesecake.
Avali Mannequins - Mannequins especially designed for digitigrade races like the Avali.
Matter Duplicator - A device that makes clones of the object installed for pixels. A late-game device, and relatively pricey.
Racial Crafting and Printing - Allows not only players to get ahold of 99% of the race's furniture, but also helps alleviate the Scanner Missions involving the main quest when you add so much extra generation code.

Automation
Gardenbot2 - A variety of various farming, mining, and lumberjacking bots for your macromanaging needs.
Harvester Beamgun - A more personal touch than the Gardenbot, this beam cuts off the produce of anything it touches.
Ore Plants+ - Allows you to make a growable version of nearly everything in the game.
Ceiling Mounted Sprinkler - Makes a new, 'tier 2' sprinker item.
More Mooshi - Adds various other liquid-dropping forms of Mooshi.
Android Fluffalo - Do robot sheep have electric dreams? These Fluffalo drop RAM cards, alleviating the rarity issue of that drop.

Other Items
Access Granted - As if we needed another game with even more ludicrous hats...
Starsuits - Specialty swimsuits!

Special Note
Avali Alternative Ship - This is kinda a soft requirement. I personally like the more curved, wing take to the ship, but someone may prefer the standard frigate design. As technically you can have both ships present in the server, the problem is there may be issues when the non-alternate ship attempts to upgrade. In short, upgrade in your own galaxy if you can help it if you choose to go the original ship.