What's new

Potentially epic-fail attempt at a Pathfinder dungeon crawl.

ShadowWolfSBI

Chief Spam Hunter Why Are You Making Me Do This
Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score
I've been considering trying something that I've not really had much interest in previously: Running an actual dungeon crawl, at least in part involving an artifact bottle. The current situation for the bottle will be that the group has "awoken" in an abandoned encampment, and the bottle seems to be pulling towards a near-by fortress. There will be notes in the encampment that will give further details as to what's going on. In addition, this will be run as a sort of "Hard Mode" deal. Also, will be looking at using Skype for this, possibly a virtual tabletop as well, if I can get a decent one working with map capabilities that I like. As for the Skype, voice maskers are fine, if you want. Provided that they don't get annoying, and that I can tell people apart. (And MapTools is out, my Java seems to be blocking it for some reason.)

Further information below. What I will need from interested parties is times available, and an idea of how hard you want, using the following scale:

Hard. ((Relatively normal CRs, minimal adjustments to things.))
Insane. ((Higher than normal CRs, adjustments will be made.))
Yeah, right. ((Mostly custom-tailored monsters and traps, possibly doing the worst that the dice will let me.))

Starting level: 4
Stats: Point Buy, 20 points.
XP progression: Slow
HD Rule: Max per level
Starting gold: 6,000 gp

Allowed books: Core (Feeblemind spell restricted), Advanced Player's Guide, Advanced Race Guide (Chapter 4 is barred.), Ultimate Combat, Ultimate Magic.

Notable Artifacts: Dimensional Bottle.

The Dimensional Bottle appears to be a sealed bottle that periodically binds an adventurer to it, often doing so by unstopping itself and absorbing them in with a flash of light, sealing back up immediately afterwards. Should a particularly long time pass between the adventurer entering the bottle and being sent back out, the adventurer will appear in perfect health. Memories of what happens while in the bottle are non-existant, and there seems to be little rhyme or reason behind "selection", either for "joining" the bottle's "crew", or for being "activated".

Upon release from the bottle, it chooses one member of the "group", and transfers itself to them. Although it is impossible to transfer ownership of the bottle, the bottle itself seems to weigh almost nothing. It also seems to protect itself somewhat, granting its owner immunity to certain effects of spells by other members of the group.

A certain powerful geas seems to be placed on the active group around the bottle. They must stay within a certain distance of the bottle, and they are barred from directly attacking members of the group... Although this does not protect against indirect actions, such as being caught in a blast.

MECHANICS: The bottle gives me a bit of a cop-out on bringing new characters in, or handling missing players from a session. The bottle can not be destroyed by any means that the party get access to, and whoever is currently holding it (determined per session by dice roll) will be immune to splash damage from party members. The party may not actively attack each other, however there may be situations where splash effects could still trigger damage, usually if people forget about AoEs. There will also be NPCs rolled up to fill out if players/characters miss a session.

FURTHER NOTES: Feeblemind is restricted due to an issue Hardware and I ran into during his offline campaign that I've mentioned on occasion. Basically, it was proving to be too game-breaking, particularly if combined with other spells.

Hopeyouguess62

Has a penis diamiter of 4.5cm
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Potentially epic-fail attempt at a Pathfinder dungeon crawl.

Interest shown.

Zilrax

Master of Kinky Fetishes. Or just Bitch if you pre
Reputation score

Likewise. Yeah Feeblemind is silly strong. One of many silly strong spells, but it's definitely up there.

OP
ShadowWolfSBI

ShadowWolfSBI

Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Also, as a note: November 3rd is the absolute earliest I'd be looking at starting this.

Rathuris

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Interest shown.

OP
ShadowWolfSBI

ShadowWolfSBI

Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Since no one so far has added it in, I'll directly ask: Scheduling.

One possible time-frame would be 0930 Eastern (1430 GMT) on Wednesdays. Probably not very good for some, however I'd pretty much be able to guarantee a lack of distractions then on my end. This is just a suggestion, however.

Scheduling is going to be an issue, due to my plan of running this over Skype, rather than as a pbp. Hence the asking.

Zilrax

Reputation score

Wednesdays are free for me. So that's 8 30 am pacific I think. Yeah still works for me.

OP
ShadowWolfSBI

ShadowWolfSBI

Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Actually, it'd be 6:30 Pacific.

Rathuris

Tentacle God
Reputation score

That time is alright with me. Are you allowing psionics and psionic classes?

OP
ShadowWolfSBI

ShadowWolfSBI

Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Allowed material is listed in the first post.

Zilrax

Reputation score

Blah I suck at time zones. Works for me still.

Hopeyouguess62

Has a penis diamiter of 4.5cm
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Monday and Wednesday are the only regular days that I won't be available.

OP
ShadowWolfSBI

ShadowWolfSBI

Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Hrm. Well, I suppose that Tuesdays at roughly the same time might be another suggestion...

Last edited:
OP
ShadowWolfSBI

ShadowWolfSBI

Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Okay, bit of repeating, but to make this clear...

Here's the information for character creation:

Starting level: 4
Stats: Point Buy, 20 points.
XP progression: Slow
HD Rule: Max per level
Starting gold: 6,000 gp

Allowed books: Core (Feeblemind spell restricted), Advanced Player's Guide, Advanced Race Guide (Chapter 4 is barred.), Ultimate Combat, Ultimate Magic.

Characters should be posted HERE.

OP
ShadowWolfSBI

ShadowWolfSBI

Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score