Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Prologue: Jocelyn Holder

Urchin goes back to looking at the floor having finished his story, though he still seems very worried about something. Rebekah who until now has remained quietly listening to the other two looks toward Jocelyn and suddenly asks.

"You mentioned spending some time with the church I believe earlier after I mentioned my homeland. Did this time with the church have something to do with the circles you talked about earlier?"

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

Jocelyn nodded. "Yes, they taught me to use them properly, though they were also wrong about a lot of things. Or maybe just confused, Or maybe mine was just special, better than theirs." She said, Rebekah's distraction seeming to have worked as she continues, explaining further.

"Theirs appeared to them as people, animals, other things, and they talked back to them. Mine didn't, but I could do so much more with it. They were convinced they were all pieces of God, or something. And we weren't supposed to know how it works, just trust that it works, and that we shouldn't care why. But I figured it out."

"You see, it works off the same thing that makes stuff fall if you drop them. everything pulls towards each other, very slightly, but because the ground is so big, it pulls more than anything else, and that's why we don't all just fall off it. I figured out that if you set stuff very particularly, you can do all sorts of stuff that seem like magic, but is really just stuff that's been all around us this whole time! The circles were like an invisible helper, they kept record of what I had figured out, made it easier to go and do again. But now they don't work anymore..." She finished with a sigh, which seemed like the perfect time for one of the other two to but in, while she was gathering her breath again.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

"She's the witch, it's her. The hunters chase Jocelyn. They do. What we do, Rebekah?"

Urchin blurts out just as Jocelyn finishes her explanation taking the others by surprise. He seems to have a genuinely confused look on his face when he continues.

"I don't understand. The church help the witch and then hunt her. Why they do that. It not seem like right thing to do, Rebekah."

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

"I'm not a witch." Jocelyn says matter-of-factly. "And the people chasing me say they're from my father, not the church. It doesn't matter either way, they're lying regardless, but that's beside the point. The circles aren't magic, they're just... Something new, that we didn't know about before..."

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Urchin doesn't seem entirely convinced by Jocelyn's words but before he can respond Rebekah holds up her hand to silence him as she herself responds.

"You may or may not have been a witch before you came here, it doesn't really matter. What matters is that you could be mistaken for one if you talk about what you could do before. If Aubrey has been taken before Baron Le Vieux it may be best if you didn't go to get him, for he may just turn you over to this hunter to get him out of the city."

She then looks down at Urchin kindly and tries to explain things to him.

"The Church is not a perfect institution it never has been, Urchin. Some of them are just as misinformed of the true world as the people they are trying to save. That is why you have to follow the truth of your heart rather than the truth of the church. Do you understand?"

Urchin nods his head though the look on his face still seems to say that he doesn't quite understand what she means.

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

Jocelyn Hmmphed a little at Rebekah. "I can't leave without Aubrey, he needs me..."

And you need him...

"...And I need him. I have to figure out some way to get him back..."

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Rebekah sighs a little before nodding her head and looking toward Jocelyn.

"I will go to the Baron's court and see about your Aubrey, meanwhile you should stay here with Urchin though if you insist on coming I can't stop you. Urchin might be able to help you find out about transportation to England if you stay here while I go to court. Urchin is unwelcome there."

If Jocelyn agrees Rebekah pulls the hood of her cloak back on and quietly leaves the others together.

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

Jocelyn nods. "You said I should probably not show up there, so I won't. Just be careful, Okay?" Rebekah nods on her way out, leaving her alone with Urchin. She shifted her feet nervously for a moment, before starting to speak. "So, you know where we can get a ship to London?" She asked nervously.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

"Hmm, ship to London. Not sure about London but somewhere in England probably. We can go look if you want."

Urchin shifts his feet nervously almost as much as Jocelyn does as he responds, finally he clears his throat loudly and asks.

"Umm. What clan is Jocelyn? Can she obfuscate like urchin does because we may need to hide."

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

"Sure, we can go take a look." Jocelyn replied slowly. At his question, she looked confused for a moment. "...Um, Rebekah mentioned Malkav when she was asking about me, is that what you mean? I can hide, sorta, but I'm not very good at it, I have to stay put. Aubrey can run around and stuff, he says I'll be able to eventually as well... Rebekah's gonna save him, right?"

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Urchin seems somewhat relieved to hear her clan and actually smiles, or at least Jocelyn thinks it's a smile as he answers.

"Good. Malkavians be a little crazy but Urchin doesn't mind them. Urchin thought you might be Toreador like the Baron. They hate me because I'm ugly like all the Nosferatu. That why urchin not welcome at court."

He waves his hand as if to say Jocelyn should follow him as he heads to the door and continues.

"Hiding in shadows should be good enough. If anyone can get Aubrey out, it be Rebekah. Everyone like Salubri, and want boons from them."

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

Jocelyn nods as she listens to Urchin, taking it all in attentively as they head out. "Okay, that's good. I dont think I like the sounds of this 'court' either, sounds time-consuming... So, uh, what's the plan? If we're hiding, does that mean we're going to have to sneak on board?"

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

"Shouldn't have to sneak on board. At least Urchin don't think you should have to. Urchin just prefer to avoid conf...confrontation if he can help it. Hiding is just best way to do it."

Urchin says as he quietly opens the door and begins leading the way. He sticks mainly to the back alleys though Jocelyn can still see smaller boats in between the gaps in buildings. Urchin moves very quietly and surprisingly fast despite his handicap.

"We have two choices. We can just look at ships in harbor and find ship to England. Or we could try to find D'Ombro. It be Jocelyn's choice."

He says as he slows his pace a little, judging from the way he says it he would much prefer if they just tried to find a ship on their own

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

"D'ombro?" Jocelyn asked, her mouth twisting around the odd name. "Who's that? It sounds like you don't like him, why bring him up?" She continued, taking a look around as Urchin slowed a bit. She had trouble keeping up with him around some of the worst spots, it was obvious he spent a lot of time in thse alleys. She trusted him to know what to do, but the way he spoke the name made her curious...

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

"D'Ombro is scary vampire, can't even trust the darkness around him. He is smuggler and if rumors are true: pirate, slave-trader, and probably worst. He would definitely be able to help but not sure if Jocelyn would want to pay the price."

Urchin answers quietly as he looks around from the alley they are in. From her current vantage point Jocelyn can see several larger ships in the harbor. The area seems a bit more empty of people than the area they had just left, though there is one rather boisterous sounding tavern not far from them.

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

"Oh..." Jocelyn said simply. She didn't like the sound of that either, and she couldn't think of anything her or Aubrey had that would interest someone like that, either. "I don't think he'd want anything we had, anyways. I guess we look on our own, then." She told Urchin, following him again.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

"You might be surprised. Favors usually worth more between vampires than money. Still it sometimes be better not to owe favors to bad ones like D'Ombro."

He quietly leaves the alleyway and starts making his way toward one of the docks where a few drovers are unloading a wagon.

"It probably be better if Jocelyn do the talking. Urchin might hide but he be near by to help if needed."

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

"I don't see why someone like that would want a favour from me either, but okay." Jocelyn says with a shrug. They reach the drovers, and Jocelyn nods again, stepping towards the drovers.

Just act normal, nothing out of the ordinary...
She has people talking in her ears, how is that ordinary?
Shush you, you aren't helping...

"Uh, hi there. I'm looking to book passage to england. On a ship. Can any of you help me?" She says a bit nervously, looking at the men as they turned to listen to her.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Urchin disappears off into the shadows not to far away from the drovers before Jocelyn heads up to them. He must be really good at the hiding power because Jocelyn can't figure out where he is at all.

As she addresses the drovers they turn and look at her as if surprised to see anyone out there, much less a young woman. The seediest of the three sets down the box he's lifting and puts his foot up on it while saying.

"And what would a pretty young thing like you be willing to do for that kind of information?"

The strongest looking of the three just keeps loading the wagon without saying a thing, while the oldest jumps down and looks at the seedy one.

"Oi, get back to work you or you might not get your pay."

The seedy guy picks up his crate in a huff and gets back to work loading the wagon while the leader answers Jocelyn with a nod of his chin towards the tavern.

"Ask for Cap'n Yarborough over to the tavern, he just put in tonight. But if I were you milady I would come back during the day with help. Ain't safeout here at night, if'n you know what I mean."

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

Jocelyn scowled at the first man to talk to her, keeping a snappy disposition at the one who actually offered helpful information. "I am more than capable of looking after myself, thank you very much!" She huffed, turning on her heel and walking into the tavern without a glance back.

Status
Not open for further replies.