What's new

Resize Screen RPGVX & VXACE_Script + Tutorial

johnkhamer

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Resize Screen RPGVX & VXACE_Script + Tutorial
This script works perfectly for VX and VXACE, but completely fail for XP..
And I think there's bug in this code, when u press F5, screen resize only between scale 0 and 2, scale 1 can't..
There are 3 scale size : 0 = Regular, 1 = Large, and 2 = XLarge setting it on Game.ini

Here are some ss :
[1].

[2].

[3].

Download Link : Always COPY PASTE for MEDIAFIRE Link..

[1] Resize Screen RPGVX & VXACE_Script (193,5 KB)

[2] Resize Screen RPGVX & VXACE_Tutorial with Pictures (9,23 MB)

Link Dead PM me..

==========================================================================================
Here are some update about Resize Screen using Sizer (Thanks to AltairPL)

Screenshot :
[x].

Download Link (Sizer + Tutorial.zip [8,91MB] Sizer.msi + Tutorial with Pictures included)

Final Words : Happy Gaming and Have a Nice Day

Last edited:

Tilaze

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Resize Screen RPGVX & VXACE_Script + Tutorial

BTW people, the links aren't dead at the moment. They just don't seem to work when you click them directly. I managed to download the files by copying link location and pasting it in the url bar.

1baka

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

fullscreen++ script by Zeus81, works for vx & vxace
this is the one i use!

zipetya

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

Thanks for this!

Also for the alternate suggestion, 1baka.

The few occasions I tried to make a game window bigger, I used the Sizer or ResizeEnableR utilities - might not hurt to check them out if scripts seem to be above one's noob-grade. xD
On a loosely connected note, is there any easy way to see what the pixel Width x Height for the window of a game is? More times than not they are not the default RPGMaker values, which makes it hard to find the 2x sweetspot for them...

Tesseract

Reputation score

Good post. An quick and easy (but dirty) alternative is resizeenable. Useful for when scripts don't work.

Just run it, and drag any window to resize. Harder to maintain pixel ratio this way though.

AltairPL

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

(...)
The few occasions I tried to make a game window bigger, I used the Sizer or ResizeEnableR utilities - might not hurt to check them out if scripts seem to be above one's noob-grade. xD
On a loosely connected note, is there any easy way to see what the pixel Width x Height for the window of a game is? More times than not they are not the default RPGMaker values, which makes it hard to find the 2x sweetspot for them...
Sizer is my weapon of choice - the only problem is that it's applying given size to the application window instead of application client rect, but it's relatively easy to compensate:
1. start the game, select its window and press Alt+PrtScn.
2. paste window image from clipboard to image editor of your choice - I never use Windows Paint, but I think it should do the trick.
3. calculate and note down window's frame sizes.
4. when adding size to Sizer list, use values for size you want plus respective frame size - if you won't change windows theme to one using frames with different sizes, you're golden.

Default window size of RPG Maker VX (Ace) game is 544x416, but many creators use 640x480 instead, so adding sizes to both of them is recommended. See attachment for my config as an example.

Hope this answers all your questions about using Sizer ^^

Attachments

zipetya

Reputation score

Nice! Thank you very much AltairPL, been very helpful!

Allow me to try to return the favor.

Didn't know about the Alt+PrintScreen method of taking a snapshot of an active window. Works like wonder. When using it and pasting in Paint, I can easily get the pixel WxH of a certain VX Ace game as 560x454 - everything seems in order, the snapshot of the window seems perfect in Paint; means my caption/frame/whatevs for a window is 16(W) x 38(H), right?

However... xD
It is a few pixels over what it should be. In fact, the frame-added pixels for the window were 6(W) x 28(H) - just like yours seem to be, according to your Sizer settings. After numerous trial and error attempts (a month or so ago), I found that with Sizer -for that game- the correct dimensions were 550x444 pixels. Meaning Sizer gives the exact same window for the game at 550x444 as what it actually looks like after starting the application.

Anyways... I found out just now that the Snipping Tool of Windows 7 -also recently just discovered by me- DOES in fact give me the 550x444 for the game's active window using the paint method; which I guess could have cut back on the trial and error time wasted... :D
Don't ask me why - the Snipping Tool is supposed to give the very same outcome as Alt+PrintScreen; or I would have thought so. lol

I don't know if it's my Windows theme -and its window frame settings- doing the difference, but just in case

TL;DR try getting the dimensions of the window (and your window frame) with the Windows Snipping Tool + Paint (or software of your choosing), and use those in Sizer (if the numbers differ from those of the Alt+Printscreen method).

EDIT: also, just to clarify. In the above example, the 2x settings in Sizer for a 544 x 416 game would be (544x2) x (416x2) = 1088 x 832 PLUS the frame's supposed dimensions 6 x 28 -> 1094 x 860, right?

Last edited:

AltairPL

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

@zipetya
You're welcome and you did returned the favor :).
Never heard of Snipping Tool - dunno if I'll be using it, since Alt+PrtScn never failed me, but it's good to know your options.
I don't use Aero or any other theme, so I was unaware that Windows uses one frame size for every window, no matter which theme is active at the time (at least it looks like it). Well, both Alt+PrtScn and Snipping Tool are giving me the same result.
And yes, 1094 x 860 is what I have set for x2 setting as well.

zipetya

Reputation score

Just a minor follow-up: it was indeed the theme (Aero, in my case). Switched to Windows 7 Simple (which I guess is the default?), and lo and behold: Alt+PrintScreen and Windows Snipping Tool DO give the same result now.

Aero adds a further -artifical- 10(W) x 10(H) to the frame, which Alt+PrintScreen adds to the snapshot dimensions, while the Snipping Tool does not.
So if someone is using a theme of any kind, might be beneficial to see what the snapshot dimensions look like with the Windows accesory tool too.

Thx again, AltairPL!

UnLuckyCat

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Sizer is really weird for me. Trying to get x2 size for 640x480 (1280x960), but what I end up with Sizer is always smaller than what I type in.

So I have my border size (2x27), and want a window that's 1282x987 to give the actual game inside the correct 1280x960 resolution. But if I type that in exactly, I end up with a 1278x985 window, with an internal 1276x958 which is incorrect. I know it would be wrong to give Sizer the "desired" resolution of 1280x960, as that gives me a window that's 1276x958, or 1274x931 without the border.

I really don't understand what's going on, but I ended up configuring Sizer with
1286x989 = 1282x987 = 1280x960

And if I just want the default 640x480 (642x507 full window) back, I need Sizer to think I want 646x509 instead. :confused:

AltairPL

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

@johnkhamer
Sorry for shamelessly stealing the thread, but I do believe than Sizer is a way better solution than any script posted in this thread:
- Sizer doesn't require RPG Maker editor to be installed.
- script must be added to every game you want to play.
- unless you change Windows visual settings on a daily basis (theme, UI font, etc.), once configured Sizer will serve you for a long time.
Once you find out the size of the frame used by the Windows, adding new size to the Sizer configuration is not a problem - just add frame width and height to desired width and height and you're golden.

@zipetya
np, glad I could help :)

@UnLuckyCat
Border size 2x27 sounds weird - it would mean that left, right and bottom border has only one px width/height :confused:. Also with added extra 4px width and 2px height you apparently need, your border width is exactly the same as mine and zipetya's and your border height is 1px larger than ours. Not sure, but it looks like you did something wrong - can you try using 6x28 border size and tell us if it works for you? If you know that game runs with 640x480, add 646x508 to Sizer configuration - if it's correct, window should not change size when this size is selected from Sizer menu.

OP
johnkhamer

johnkhamer

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

@Tilaze
Yep, that's it bro.. just don't click mediafire link directly :)

@1baka
i have tried zeus81 script too, well i'm just coincidently knowing this script, and i want to sharing it in this forum :)

@zipetya
Yep, glad this script be able to helping u bro :)

@Tesseract
Ok, thank u bro.. I will try ResizeEnable script.. :)

@UnLuckyCat
Thanks for coming to my thread :)

@AltairPL
it's ok bro, there's no such stealing the thread, in fact u helping many member with your suggestion using sizer, and i gladly will trying it too :)

UnLuckyCat

Demon Girl
Reputation score

@AltairPL
Nope, it changes the window size with 646x508 by 1px (game becomes 640x479). I need 656x509 to get 642x507 with alt+prtscn for a proper 640x480 display. And yeah, my windows only have a 1px blue border, and 25px title bar.

@johnkamer
I found this thread cause it sounded exactly like what I needed. Had an RPGMaker game with no resolution options besides fullscreen (which stretches) and wished I could play it in x2.

But I didn't know how to use the script, and it involves extracting core game files so I'm sure I'd break something.

Sizer should also work for another game I had that isn't RPGMaker but also doesn't have an exact x2 resolution option. It stretches all the sprites terribly in all but one resolution from the menu...

zipetya

Reputation score

@UnLuckyCat
Excuse me if I'm butting in, but let's troubleshoot the hell out of this - or at least try. xD
So if I understand correctly, a 640x480 VX/VXACE RPG game's window (in its default resolution, not using Sizer) supposedly returns the pixel dimensions of 646x509 on your end, with the

Alt+PrintScreen active window -> paste picture in Paint/other software -> learn the dimensions of the picture (I just use 'Crop to Selection' option in Paint after pasting the picture from the Clipboard)

method. Which leads you to believe the frame added is 6(Width) x 29 (Height), right? (This would mean that the blue borders on the sides are 3 pixels each, though, no?)

First, I think you should try that Windows tool I was on about a little while ago, the Snipping Tool (in the Accessories), as in my experience, when you have a visual theme of any sort, Alt+PrintScreen returns a larger dimension for the active window (takes a larger picture), while the tool returns the size correctly.
In other words, when I have Sizer set on 646x508 for a game, and have the Aero theme on, ALT+PRTSCN gets a picture with 656x518 dimensions for the active window, which is incorrect (I know that the 646x508 is the right config for the 640x480 game in Sizer, since the window and the game doesn't change/stretch one bit when I choose this option in Sizer for it after starting the game), wihle the windows tool returns the correct 646x508 values. Try getting the dimensions with the Snipping Tool.

Basically, a setting of W x H in Sizer should result in the game's window (with the borders) getting that exact W x H - no more, no less. Supposedly; I think. ;) ALT+PRTSCN may be leading you astray.

Hope this helps.

UnLuckyCat

Demon Girl
Reputation score

@zipetya
Now the whole thread is about me.:eek:

It's like I said, it's weird:

Alt+PrtScn and the Snipping Tool give the same thing.

AltairPL

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

@zipetya
Now the whole thread is about me.:eek:

It's like I said, it's weird:

Alt+PrtScn and the Snipping Tool give the same thing.
Weird indeed... well, since 6x29 works for you, just add it to every desired windows size in Sizer and you should be set... e.g. 1286x989 for 1280x960, etc.

zipetya

Reputation score

Welp, I'm defeated.

It's either Paint lying or Sizer. lol
What does the game's window (without Sizer) return as dimensions when you Alt+PRTSCN it and paste into paint? I assume 642x507, according to what you've written.

As long as it produces the same window with Sizer at 646x509 as the original (642x507), you are settled, I guess.
If the difference (4x2) doesn't scale with the resolution (it shouldn't, I would think; but stranger things have happened! lol), you are settled and golden, even. :)
Just to make sure, I'd test with a higher resolution window -like manually stretch a window to something bigger (e.g. circa 1400x1000)-, see the exact dimensions of it in paint, add an option for that in Sizer with 4x2 added to account for the weird difference, and see if the window changes or not when you resize with Sizer.

Hopefully it won't, and getting the x2 resolutions is safe!

Cheers

OP
johnkhamer

johnkhamer

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I'm updating my thread, check it out broo :D

1baka

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

im currently working on a tool.
its "kind of" a hook tool that attach itself to the rpgmaker game, it will allow you to "resize" the window the way you want, i also implement different aspect ratios and auto-fix to it for convenience. the tool will save its settings in the game.ini file. the tool works with xp.

theres different viewing mode, one is "direct" approach. it will show the game surface as it is. this mode is the fastest. but then you need to be ok with the upscaling of the window. another one is "upsampling" (needed for xp). that one will capture the surface and then make the scaling. this way is a bit tricky as the game surface will now be on another form.

for the "upsampling mode", im adding a couple of different filters, most common interpolation algorithms such as nearest-neighbor, bilinear and bicubic. that will of course ask computer power. there will be a few "faster" alternatives as well, but the result is not-so-good upscaling.

not sure where i will make the release when done. maybe i just put it in some random thread... :D

AltairPL

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

im currently working on a tool.
its "kind of" a hook tool that attach itself to the rpgmaker game, it will allow you to "resize" the window the way you want, i also implement different aspect ratios and auto-fix to it for convenience. the tool will save its settings in the game.ini file. the tool works with xp.

theres different viewing mode, one is "direct" approach. it will show the game surface as it is. this mode is the fastest. but then you need to be ok with the upscaling of the window. another one is "upsampling" (needed for xp). that one will capture the surface and then make the scaling. this way is a bit tricky as the game surface will now be on another form.

for the "upsampling mode", im adding a couple of different filters, most common interpolation algorithms such as nearest-neighbor, bilinear and bicubic. that will of course ask computer power. there will be a few "faster" alternatives as well, but the result is not-so-good upscaling.

not sure where i will make the release when done. maybe i just put it in some random thread... :D
I assume that by XP you mean RPG Maker XP and if so, it would be freaking great. But, I know how Enterbrain can screw simplest of things, which makes making workarounds a freaking horror, so I have to ask: do you have working prototype or is it just a plan?
Oh, and if you make dedicated thread, I would appreciate if you could post a link in this thread as well... I don't have time to see what's new lately, and I wouldn't like to miss this one ;).