What's new

RP backgrounds

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score
Whether you tabletop or play here, how do you determine the background for a character?

I used one of these books. There's Heroes of Legend, Heroes for Now, and Heroes of the Future.

Random Dice rolls all the way for me!

EDIT: I encourage everyone to at least try the dice rolls. :)

Post the results?

Last edited:

IronAnt

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score
Re: RP backgrounds

Generally speaking, I have one of two methods.

The first being the good old fashion way. Slowly thinking up ideas for a personality, ability, and even fluff items they would just have on them. I'll think this person up in depth and then be done with it, saving name for last.

The easier method for me is to find a portrait, assign it a class and name, and then let that be my foundation, building off it.

OP
Chibichibi

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score

I tend to do that. I'll roll up the background and pick a class and a name based on that instead of trying to force a character to be something they're obviously not meant to be.

Termite

A bug
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I start with a basic character idea or model and start adding in small details that help flesh that character out. Then I start adding the larger stuff and constantly check whether the newest thoughts conflict with any of the older ones.

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I do much the same as Termite, starting with a basic concept and fleshing it out from there. Usually it starts with a descriptive sentence that can be uttered in a hilarious manner out of context!

Keylo

Lurker
Reputation score

Generally, it starts with a single spark or concept from random conversation or a work:

"Mad Scientist, Hymns of Destruction, Pskyer"

Then after that, some brainstorming as to what could be a fun twist for them:

"Truth bound, Martyr, Death(Thrill)seeker"

Continue until a basic concept for the character has been created, and a barebones background has been constructed. Then from there, flesh it out more as the story progresses and the character slowly melds into the setting.

That's how I do it anyway.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

I admit, I do have a few characters I try to 'force' into an RP (Sarah and Mithral tend to be my biggest examples ^^; ), but even then I take the story of the game into consideration, and don't force too much of a character's past or details, as you don't want to force a character into a setting that it won't work in. For the most part, though, it depends mostly what your character wants to do or if you want to make something specifically for the setting. Also being flexible with character concepts help, as even if you got a character pre-made, you can mold the personality or details of the backstory to match.

One of my favorite experiments in 'making a concept that's awesome works with the backstory' has to be Six in Dark Gate. Xenomorphic character, yet tied in the story via another add-on race, the Shadow Demons, having similarities. In all seriousness, if you can make something mess with the story, I say go for broke :p

Hentaispider

Lord of the Tap Dance \oO.Oo/ (And Reputation Mana
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

When I create a new character, I always start with a character concept that seems interesting. From there, I figure out what kind of backstory would have created such a character and how it fits the setting.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

Most of the characters i play tend to be part of the ensemble cast type thing, they are strange people with their pasts brought to life as needs be to reach their current location. They serve no major roll in the story and are travelers and vagabonds with the party as only a stepping stone on their real travels.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

I had a look at that book you linked Chibs. It looks interesting, but just far too much of it to take a quick glance and start throwing dice around right now. : |

When I create a new character, I always start with a character concept that seems interesting. From there, I figure out what kind of backstory would have created such a character and how it fits the setting.
I think this probably sums up my normal process as closely and simply as possible.

I get some kind of spark of inspiration for a core character concept. Sometimes its something as simple as a picture (rarely), and other times it's harder to point at any one thing as being responsible. In one example it was a song title. Then I try to match that to the setting regarding events in the characters history, their location, and how they came to be the way they are. Then try to add details and flesh things out a bit more precisely. The game system, stats and rules normally come in around half way, as I test that the concept is possible, and also see if any new ideas come out of the character build, since sometimes the mechanical aspects can still hold relevant character shaping elements. Name is often the last thing done, but sometimes one comes up along the way.

I find that with some characters, the in game character development also develops small details about their past at the same time, as little things are imagined up and fitted into the unwritten background.

OP
Chibichibi

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score

Well, I figure you can always post something up when you have time. I just wanna see what hilarity we can get from it.

OP
Chibichibi

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score

Posting for the hilarity:
(I might actually use this character for the next DnD game I play)

Character is a poor nomad, born legitimately with three older sisters and a younger sister and two younger brothers. Born in a forest in early Autumn with two unusual occurances. He is born with a fish shaped birthmark on his tummy, and acts as a good luck talisman (He adds one to all companions skill rolls). At the age of ten, he's almost killed by a disease but become immune to all diseases after he recovers. As a teen he has a religious experience after some priests witness to him, he dreams of the god telling him he's chosen to take up a holy quest. Then at 17 he's abducted by other planar beings and spit back out not a second later, but he's aged 15 years and has no memory of his time gone and he hasn't the foggiest idea that he's not 17 anymore. And thus begins his quest at the age of 32.

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I tend to look for a defining characteristic first, the thing that affects the character the most, and then build the personality around it by asking questions. For example, my next RP character will be one armed. So:
- What profession would lead to him losing his arm? Soldier or mercenary.
- Based on the setting, who or what could've taken his arm? Orcs.
- Who fought the orcs a lot? Thorwaler (Vikings, basically).

So we have a Viking that used to be a soldier, but lost his arm in a fight against orcs and since then hates them with a passion. I originally wanted him to wield a bastard sword with his one hand (he is VERY strong) but then realized that the Thorwaler have their own weapon that can be wielded one handed if you're strong enough - and it's a big axe called an "orc snout" to boot.

Generally though, just reading the fluff material that the RPG setting provides can give you some great ideas. There are often little tidbits that can strike the spark of inspiration.

NexusLastren

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I usually use a character from one of my novels, short stories, or i draw until a character and personalty grow. On rare occasion i spend large amounts of time developing a very in depth character though.

Atmo

Sex Demon
Reputation score

I like to build their powers first, using the game system of the moment, then i take a look on their past, job, family and the like.