What's new

[RP Idea] Labrynth Death Race

OP
Mirchie

Mirchie

The user previously known as Hero-in-the-Dark
Reputation score
Re: [RP Idea] Labrynth Death Race

So humans start with quick to learn automatically? Meaning they get their second feat at level 4?

And yeah, what would determine getting to the enemy? That's dexterity right? I was thinking of besides damage things, having a feat that would temporarily increase dexterity as a whole, or at least only the chance of hitting an enemy, like some beserker rage.

And so ability is something character specific I can choose from the start, and there's no growth to that right? Like spells that mages know.
Heh, I'm not very good at explaining things am I?

Yes, humans get QTY at level 1 automatically, and they get an additional 2 Feats at level 4.

Dexterity determines getting to, hitting, and dodging an enemy, in addition to performing acrobatic feats.

It is quite possible to have an ability such as a berserker rage that will increase stats for a certain time. For example, Berserker Rage would give you + to your Strength, Dexterity and Constitution for a short time.

However, this would be a Spell/Ability, not a Feat. Feats are like... Perks from Call of Duty? Things that are permanent to your character, such as permanently giving them an increase to performing a specific task, such as Lightning Reflexes giving bonuses to dodging, but not your dexterity as a whole. It is feasible to have a feat which will grant you additional HP/Mana, or attributes, although these will benefit you when you level up only, such as getting Tough will grant your character an additional amount of HP each level. Certain feats can also be tiered, so you could get Tough Mk.II, which gives your MORE HP each level as compared to Tough Mk.I.

Anything else I missed?

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

ya. WHEN ARE WE STARTING? :D

OP
Mirchie

Mirchie

Reputation score

Need Avatar and Janna to post character sheets, and I need to get round to asking Nunu or Aika for a Subforum.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I think I'm lost, just getting clarification. (I dont play CoD and don't know perk systems)

So the difference between feat and ability.
Ability is an abstract permanent effect we choose from the beginning that levels up automatically over time with you?
Feat is a 'casted' temporary effect that will always remain the same and doesn't increase with your leveling but can be "unlocked" with levels.

OP
Mirchie

Mirchie

Reputation score

My ability to confuse everyone including myself has shone through! I should have sorted all this stuff out in steel earlier...

I probably shouldn't have mentioned "abilities". They are like spells, except non-magic characters use them. Other than that they work exactly the same. Some of them can be levelled up as you say.

Feats. Some of them behave exactly as you say Toxic, but not all of them. I know I had a reference as to how they work, but I've forgotten it. Yes, some are "casted temporary effects". However, not all of them, they can be quite a lot of things. From Lurkers suggestions of "Biological Plating", which is a permanent thing, to Oni's undead creating thing, a single-use-every-now-and-again thing.

Maybe I shouldn't be writing this out at 2am...

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

or maybe more definitive examples?
I think I completely reversed them

is there even a point to have them separated? I dont understand what makes them semantically different if "well some of them, but not all" can be applied.
Maybe I'm the idiot here for not understanding, but I really don't see any clear lines here.
Right now, the only thing I see is "abilities" are just "feats" i choose to have from the beginning

OP
Mirchie

Mirchie

Reputation score

It makes sense to me, maybe because this game is using a highly similar system to my IRL RPG. Does dropping the name "abilities" and just having Spells, self explanatory, and Feats, make it easier? Feats being more character-specific things, that just help give you an edge in areas where perhaps, you weren't so good at before?

Blegh. I'm terrible at explaining things. Does anyone else who reckons they understand this want to have a go?

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Toxic, you played DnD or something similar? If you have then think of the Feats from there.

Alternatively, go .

Also, Isaac has both magic spells and abilities. Is that alright or should I limit him to one type?

Last edited:
OP
Mirchie

Mirchie

Reputation score

Thats a pretty good description of Feats there, although there are no prequisites for any particular feat.

Spells and Abilities are the same, I seem to have confused everyone with putting them in. Abilities are non-magical spells.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Toxic, you played DnD or something similar? If you have then think of the Feats from there.
I've never been near DnD

Feats being more character-specific things, that just help give you an edge in areas where perhaps, you weren't so good at before?
Maybe this is what I don't understand. How can someone not be good at something before if the "feat" is character specific? An insectoid race having plated skin, I understand, but it was never NOT plated, I would just assume something like that would fit into the general idea of dexterity.

And giving me a description of feats, though helpful, is only half the problem. I'm trying to contrast 2 things here. Unless abilities run along the same parallels as the mentioned "skills" in the link

This is where I'm troubled, the link states that some feats must be declared before use, and I have no idea how that's ANY different at all to a "non-magical spell" or "ability." And considering my character is not at ALL magical, this would be confusing as EVERYTHING he does would fit between those two.
In this I have 2 different terms and 2 different characteristics, (feats/abilities, cast/permanent) so it would only seem simple that the two different characteristics each fit separately INTO those two different terms, (feats-cast, abilities-permanent) but they don't. They have 1 term meaning both characteristics (feats-cast/permanent) and the other term is only one characteristic (abilities-cast). And I'm not even sure if I'm right on that last one.

Last edited:

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Feats are abilities that can enhance your character by giving permanent boosts to HP, stats and the like. They can also be used to grant your character additional action abilities that have an MP cost/needs to be recharged before they can be used again.

Maybe using DnD as an example was a bad choice because of the wide variety of feat types, but for the most part think of them as character upgrades. You play Borderlands, right? Think of them as the skills you can unlock using skill points and you wouldn't be far off from the truth. What I believe Hero is trying to say is that your characters feats are supposed to be made to tie into your characters natural abilities, for example if you're a meat house you may have one that drastically increases the amount of damage done for a set amount of turns (this would be an action feat), or another that just gives you a small boost to strength (this would be a general feat).

Take my character Isaac for example, he's a necromancer so he has the 'Create/Control Undead' feat which would be considered an action feat because I need to dictate when I want to use it. I have another feat in mind for when I reach lv.3 which allows Isaac to heal his HP by expending MP, which again would be an action feat. Though depending on whether I feel it appropriate to have it at that level or not I may decide to instead to give him one that merely increases his Wisdom by a certain amount of points. Anyway, I hope that helped clear up some confusion.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

It does, I asked previously if that was the idea and didn't really get an answer, although I still don't know what separates it from ability.

Like Borderlands, does my feat increase as I level? In your example, would it start costing less mp, or start causing more hp? And what do abilities do this entire time?

Since I'm a non-magic user, I still see no difference as labeling whatever I want to start off with as either an ability or a feat. I came in with a number of preconceived notions which were apparently wrong, and the only thing I can tell as difference is "character specific." So what separates a feat from an ability is points for originality? Anybody else making a character could be able to claim any ability I've suggested for my character but if they say a feat I've used, I get to say "Oh no, that's mine, it's character specific, get your own."
If that's the case, I'm baffled as to how anyone can be expected to assume that as the clearcut difference. For example, I don't understand why the act of raising the dead wouldn't be considered a "spell" (and by extension, "ability") Is it simply because your character is like a necromancer, so other characters wouldn't be expected to do that?

OP
Mirchie

Mirchie

Reputation score

Uh. Got this from Oni, seems a better way of explaining than mine. I point out that in this description, Ability has become the same as feats, as opposed to the same as spells.

SirOni said:
Magic/Skills - Magic and skills give the player the opportunity to do alternative attacks against their enemies without always resorting to the basic 'attack' skill. Most, if not all magic and skills are straight forward in their delivery, they either deal damage for a set amount of MP, temporarily boost stats or bestow a positive status effect to the caster or a negative status effect to the enemy target.

Special Abilities - Special abilities fall under two categories; Passive Abilities and Action Abilities.

Passive Ability - These act in the background, often bestowing a permanent stat boost to the character, though they can also increase the effects of certain actions like resting and adding elements to attacks.

Action Ability - These are abilities that the player uses, while similar in concept to magic/skill's they have a far wider range of effect though they often need to be recharged before they can be used again or they have some other negative side effect on the user, such as mana drain or the like.

Action abilities themselves can give access to extra options of attacking, such as a super powerful attack, they can bestow a temporary stat boost to several stats at once (for example, Berserk would increase strength and agility but it would decrease wisdom and intelligence for a few turns) and they can even give new commands to your character (such as allowing you to create undead allies).
About Racial Bonuses, feel free to choose them yourself, unless you would rather I made some up. You can have 2 for your race, but the Human Racial bonus is Quick to Learn. They can choose another feat as well, since everyone gets 1 at lv 1. Racial bonuses could be stat edits that reduce and increase some stats, or something that corresponds with their bodies, like Elves having Enhanced Senses or something.

Last edited: