What's new

[Complete - Full] SEQUEL blight, but it's in english now (RJ193419)

OP
sub-par

sub-par

Reputation score
Hello, thread. Public service announcement. If no sudden issues pop up, the first draft of the translation of SEQUEL awake should be ready in the oncoming weeks. That means just one thing: I'll have to post an updated SEQUEL blight's patch once again for minor consistency things. I think that's going to be like the 3rd "final" patch. It never ends.

This means that if you've noticed any typos, errors, or other patch-induced issues in the game that you'd like to see fixed, now's the time to notify me. You can post in this thread or you can PM me. Or is the barrier to entry for both of those things too high? Should I set up a discord server or something so people feel comfortable telling me about a misplaced apostrophe?

Incidentally, these are the main reasons why I want to update the patch:
  1. The "Spirit World" is now called the "Underworld" for lore reasons. In blight, the Underworld was not characterized very well and I went with the generic Spirit World for 霊界 [reikai]. But considering how it's portrayed in awake (and the spirit/ghost distinction), "Underworld" is a more apt word for it
  2. Undulating Mass of Mana is renamed Surging Mass of Mana for terminological reasons. It uses the word 波動 [hadou] which you could translate as undulation or wave, but it's also the ~mysterious~ element in the game so I went with 'surge'. I could've sworn I did this way earlier but apparently I didn't save my changes or something
  3. Some attacks that previously used the words "accurate attack" in the description have been changed to use the wording "Sure-Hit attack" for gameplay reasons. They use RPGMaker's Certain Hit attack type, which is distinct from the magical and physical attack types. I'm not using RPGMaker terminology because skill description character limits are at a premium
  4. The "devil king" mentioned in one of the bows has been renamed "monster king" for terminological reasons. While devil king or demon king is a standard translation for 魔王 [maou] in fantasy contexts, because I've settled on using "monster" for 魔物 [mamono] I'm convinced the connection formed by the character 魔 holds some vague importance here. I hope this won't bite me in the ass later like Spirit World did
  5. "Magical beings" are now called "magical lifeforms" for terminological reasons. Somewhere they're described as not quite alive so I figured "well I'm just not going to translate that as 'lifeform' then", but then this inconsistency gets pointed out in awake and I look like a dunce for trying to use critical thinking
  6. Renamed the following important enemy attacks: Crystallize -> Crystal Scythe (erroneous name), Swift Lightning's Direct Impacts -> Swift Thunder Direct Impact (skill makes a return in awake where the old name goes over the character limit), Evil Whirlwind Verse -> Wicked Whirlwind Rend (erroneous interpretation of the character 破)
  7. Renamed the skills: Fighting Spirit -> Fighter's Soul, and Battle Shout -> Fighting Spirit (I translated the first skill poorly which took the name of the good translation for the second skill, making them both bad)
  8. I forgot to put the translated setting01.png (the text at the top in character creation screen, first thing you see in a new game) in the patch months ago...fuck
There's also about 25-30 other typos or mistakes I casually spotted while looking for other stuff or what people have pointed out. Most notably Slashing Recipe 3's name being Slashing Recipe 2 and the incorrect description on Iron Spin. I'd attach a list but the one I've written for myself basically isn't human readable

IntrepidMoon

Reputation score
I did a quick pass through skills, and here's what I saw, other than some runonsentences.likethis.

Skill 62: Wide Ignis removes shockmight. It is the only elemental attack spell that does that, so I figure it's not intentional.
I think 111: "Insight" should be "Incite", since it conveys the sense of arousing anger in the target (i.e taunting) to force them to attack the user, instead of an internal realization.
206: "Magical Hit" uses the same description "ATK-based magical attack" as 179: "Mana Harvest", but their formulae are "((a.atk * 4) + (a.mat* 2)) - b.def * 3" and "a.atk * 5.6 - b.def * 2.8", and thus have nothing to distinguish when one utilizes a.mat the same way 195: Flying Kick does for a.agi.
237: Crafted Bomb and 238: Crafted Quake are both listed as Power 150, but have formulae "a.mat * 6 - b.mdf * 3" and "a.mat * 5.6 - b.mdf * 2.8" respectively.
398: Dismantle's description suggests DEF-DN+ reduces DEF by 20% instead of 40%.
413: Spinning Blow's scope is All Enemies but the description says a single enemy.

OP
sub-par

sub-par

Reputation score
If you're referring to run-on sentences in the skills description, they were about the best I could do with the available space. I tried to use very clear & standardized language (like in the original skill descriptions) so their effects would be clear, but two lines with 61 characters each just wasn't enough in some cases.

62: Surprisingly, not my bad. It's there in the original for absolutely no reason as far as I can tell. I'd hazard a guess that it's a bug. I suppose I'll remove it for the next patch.
206 and 195: My bad. Looks like I missed the part of the "ATK and X-based" of these two skills.
111: Insight definitely should be Incite. I have a vague memory of finding that name weird but I guess I tunnel visioned. Unhelpfully, I noticed this in awake's skills but didn't think to check if I made the error in blight. I guess it's me who didn't have an internal realization.
238: Looks like I made a typo with Crafted Quake's description. It should be Power 140.
398: My bad.
413: My bad.

Thank you for pointing these out. I would have absolutely never looked at them a second time myself. I'll make sure to fix these.

Kynshin

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
since we on reporting typos and stuff time:
1591213376934.png
This quest/event should say Uula since it was given by her.

1591213579152.png

It says bedbedroom when it should just say bedroom.

1591213653069.png
This is just a example but there are some instances on the recollection room where the words "the event" are highlighted alongside the actual needed event.
Not sure if it was like that in the original game or not.

Arenara

Lurker
Reputation score
I just have to say that I'm really grateful that you actually translated the monster information. It is really interesting and not all translators (even the good ones) actually bother with it even in games where the lore is pretty interesting.

IntrepidMoon

Reputation score
I did another pass through skills. This time, several Skills have issues with the "Using Message" section.

43: Wind Force simply says "Angry".
94: Data Reversal claims to be Life Conversion.
169: Suicide Cry claims to be Assault Pain (Used this a lot while playing and kept seeing this, so I checked the rest)
181: Heaven's Gate " " Ogre Axe.
210: Mana Vacuum " " Dream Suck
220: Brain Kill " " Arm Kill
360: Piercing Strike " " Piercing Striking
369: Repeated Stabbing " " Repeatedly Stabbing
643: Gamble uses the verb "using" for a Cane Weapon Magic Type Magical Attack instead of "casting".

The following issues can be largely ignored since most people would never notice, but once I noticed one, I felt compelled to find as many as I could.
188: Star Dive lacks verbage, and is simply "x's Star Dive!". This is notable because this is accurate to how the original is worded (x's のスターダイブ!), however, 160: Blade Dance, 181: Heaven's Gate, 117: Ultimate Guard and 225: Royal Bind, also share the possessive "の[name of skill]" naming convention but have the "activated" verbiage in your translation.
196-201 (except 199): These Striker abilities have the same concern as 188; 199 is an exception, and in fact reversed, using "x's Thunder Fist!" for "は雷鳴拳を放った!"
360 and 361 364 369 406: lack both a verb in English and "の" in the original text.
388: Rain Slash, 401: Mark of the Beast, 410: Counter-Attack: same issue as 188: Star Dive and 196-201 (except 199).
393: Stance Correction, 397: Sawing Chop, 398: Dismantle, 400: Bisect, 411: Invigoration: same issue as 199: Thunder Fist.
38-45 Elemental Force abilities: Not a mistake per se, but, despite being Skills instead of Magic, these use the same wording as the Buff/Debuff Force spells. This was something Hakika did, though the inconsistency on the original author's part was worth noting, especially if Hakika corrected or changed them in SEQUEL awake/colony or the trial version of ASYLUM.

Side note, the skill 149: Motorback, originally "モータルバック", seems like "Mortal Back" to me (in the sense of "vulnerable back"). Obviously, that name doesn't make sense in English, but "Backstab" or "Sneak Attack" may be appropriate, especially since the use text talks about taking aim.

OP
sub-par

sub-par

Reputation score
since we on reporting typos and stuff time:
View attachment 32081
This quest/event should say Uula since it was given by her.

View attachment 32082

It says bedbedroom when it should just say bedroom.

This is just a example but there are some instances on the recollection room where the words "the event" are highlighted alongside the actual needed event.
Not sure if it was like that in the original game or not.
Thank you for pointing these mistakes out. The equivalent words for "the event" were indeed highlighted in the original.

I just have to say that I'm really grateful that you actually translated the monster information. It is really interesting and not all translators (even the good ones) actually bother with it even in games where the lore is pretty interesting.
Thank you.

lots of stuff
Thank you very much for pointing all of this out. Once again, I doubt I would've ever checked them myself. I'll talk about the specific points below, because I think this stuff is mildly interesting.

I know exactly why "angry" happened, and it's an awful reason. On the other hand 94, 169, 181, 210, and 220 are because I looked at skills, went "this text is the same, i can just copy paste and replace the names" and then forgot to replace some names. Sigh.

For 360 and 369, the messages "'s Piercing Striking!" and "'s Repeatedly Stabbing" and so on on 360, 361 etc. have sound logic, but...shoddy implementation? Originally, they were actual Japanese words instead of pseudoanglicisms in katakana like most skills, and the skill use message formed a verb out of the skill names instead of going "<character A> uses/activates/casts/whatever <skill Y>". I think I did a better work implementing this for skills Mow Down ('s Mowing Down!) and Gouge ('s Gouging!).

Interestingly enough, 643: Gamble used a different verb in the original. While most spells before it go はXを唱えた! which I translated as 's casting X! while Gamble uses the はXを使った!format which I have as 's using X! It's technically not my error, but I agree that it's weird. Maybe I should change it.

The following issues can be largely ignored since most people would never notice, but once I noticed one, I felt compelled to find as many as I could.
188: Star Dive lacks verbage, and is simply "x's Star Dive!". This is notable because this is accurate to how the original is worded (x's のスターダイブ!), however, 160: Blade Dance, 181: Heaven's Gate, 117: Ultimate Guard and 225: Royal Bind, also share the possessive "の[name of skill]" naming convention but have the "activated" verbiage in your translation.
196-201 (except 199): These Striker abilities have the same concern as 188; 199 is an exception, and in fact reversed, using "x's Thunder Fist!" for "は雷鳴拳を放った!"
388: Rain Slash, 401: Mark of the Beast, 410: Counter-Attack: same issue as 188: Star Dive and 196-201 (except 199).
I think the logic of 188, 160, 181, 117, 225 etc. was that I was doing the skills from top to bottom, Ultimate Guard was the first one without a verb, so I went: "well that's not right it's gotta have a verb!!!" Then I didn't consistently go back and fix them when I realized that it's in fact okay to not have a verb. I'll put them on my list, but I'll probably only change Ultimate Guard to not use a verb since it's the only notable one that returns in awake.

360 and 361 364 369 406: lack both a verb in English and "の" in the original text.
393: Stance Correction, 397: Sawing Chop, 398: Dismantle, 400: Bisect, 411: Invigoration: same issue as 199: Thunder Fist.
The bigger problem with this skillset of "japanese words that turn into verbs" and skill messages in general has to do with the fact that I decided to use present participle for combat messages for absolutely the wrong reasons. The game prints the skill user's name first and then adds the message, and the fool that I am, I didn't realize I could just start a message with a space. So my brain went "everything must start with 's" and then we end up in this situation.

With travesties like Rabi's Piercing Striking! instead of Rabi Piercing Strikes!, which would have been somewhat neater. In any case, I don't fancy editing all of the skill messages in the game to use simple present, so these will likely stay as they are for blight. I really should do it for a clearer distinction when the 's is supposed to be a possessive and not a contraction of "is", but, you know. Lazy.

38-45 Elemental Force abilities: Not a mistake per se, but, despite being Skills instead of Magic, these use the same wording as the Buff/Debuff Force spells. This was something Hakika did, though the inconsistency on the original author's part was worth noting, especially if Hakika corrected or changed them in SEQUEL awake/colony or the trial version of ASYLUM.

Side note, the skill 149: Motorback, originally "モータルバック", seems like "Mortal Back" to me (in the sense of "vulnerable back"). Obviously, that name doesn't make sense in English, but "Backstab" or "Sneak Attack" may be appropriate, especially since the use text talks about taking aim.
My official stance on the ~Force skill line is 🤷‍♀️. If I had to hazard a guess, they were copied over without change from hakika's previous game Liberty Step. But don't quote me on that because I played it for about thirty minutes.

Finally: ...Motorback? What was past sub-par smoking? I want to crawl into a hole. Maybe I thought it was a mechanic skill since It's listed after the Develop~ skill line? I hope I had *some* reason for that and it wasn't just a blunder. In any case, it's certainly a pseudoanglicism of Mortal Back, but probably warrants adjustment to something more appropriate.

Arenara

Lurker
Reputation score
I'll also point out two mistakes I've seen. First one is nothing big:
Mistake.png
There's a stray period after the "were" in the last line of the details.

Second is more serious:
Mistake2.png
The description claims that MDF-UP+ increases a characters MAT instead of their MDF.
Edit: Just noticed the same thing is true of the other MDF up skill.

Currently reading the lore as a break in between Being of Creation attempts, if I see anything else I'll point it out.

IntrepidMoon

Reputation score
I was going to stop interfering, but Arenara talking about descriptions of items reminded me of some stuff I noticed when I was trying to make Tirma a regen-tank.

Several items have inaccurate long-form descriptions in terms of their additional effects:

W112: Belmejera - says it reduces MCR to 75%, but only reduces it by 80%.
W150: Bloodsucking Spear - says it grants HRG +2%, but grants HRG +3%.
W256: Heart Shooter - says it increases ATK and LUK by 10%, but increases ATK and AGI by 10%.
A74: Onionhead - says it increases Water damage taken, but increases Fire damage taken.
A174: Energy Boots - says it grants HRG +4%, but grants MRG +4%.

Arenara

Lurker
Reputation score
Here I am with two more reports:
Mistake3.png
That's pretty weird. The special effects text overlaps with the title.
Mistake 1.png
On the second line of the details, Ecretetion instead of Excretion.
Also, this is not a mistake, but I have to show it:
Glorious.png
This is the best weapon description I have ever seen.

OP
sub-par

sub-par

Reputation score
Thank you both for pointing this stuff out, as always. The inaccurate special effects are probably because I did a lot of copy pasting to ensure consistency in phrasing of the effects. I guess I did a sloppy job replacing some numbers and stat names. But hey, at least one weapon doesn't say "ATK increases by 15%" while the next one says "10% increase in ATK".

The weird bug in Surak Pirila's Greataxe is because the original code that handled weapons descriptions was hot garbage. Every single line of text had to be written in angle brackets and the line declared at the start: <L13: Immunity to Forgetful>. Massive pain to work with and the code had no trouble rendering multiple sentences on the same line if you numbered them wrong, as you can see. I did the swords, axes, and some other stuff with that awful system before cannibalizing parts of the monster log code for item descriptions. Didn't go back to convert the ones I did with the original system to the new one, and now I pay the price💦

Arenara

Lurker
Reputation score
I have a few more things to point out, but I don't think I really need to post images for them. Here we go:

Monster Encyclopedia
- In the Fusion of Evil Spirits entry, the third line of the description reads "Countless of ghosts have gathered", this is a stray "of".
- Familiar of the Sages entry, second line "not wilds monsters", I believe it should be "wild".
- Collet entry, fifth line "in spite of that Unexpectedly them", missing period after "that".
- Fire Dragon entry, final line "this ladn was", should be "land".
- Underlamp entry, third line "they have survivors", I believe it should be "they are survivors".
- Dravant entry, penultimate line "Village do probably become", I believe it should be "would probably become".

And that's it. In unrelated news, I decided to try and complete the Monster Encyclopedia by getting all drops from all enemies. Sadly, some drops I was missing were from missable enemies, so I'm now going through new game + to get them.

OP
sub-par

sub-par

Reputation score
Once again, thanks to everyone who pointed out mistakes. Here's the third (fourth?) final patch, hopefully this is actually the final one. It contains about 100 tiny fixes mostly around item/enemy/skill descriptions. You can continue posting out more errors you've spotted if you'd like, but they likely won't get fixed unless they're really important. I want to be done with this project!

Version 1.1.7

The biggest changes that necessitated this patch are mostly lore ones. I'm the kind of person who gets a little bit upset whenever I play a series of games and the terminology changes between games, so I'm not going to perpetuate the same evil. Also, I forgot to add the translated sprite for the thing at the top in character creation to the patch like 3 months ago. Sigh.

Anyway, here's the more important stuff:
  1. Location: Spirit World -> Underworld. In blight, the Underworld was not characterized very well and I went with the generic Spirit World for 霊界 [reikai]. But the translation didn't stand up for scrutiny in awake.
  2. Item: Undulating Mass of Mana -> Surging Mass of Mana. It uses the word 波動 [hadou] which you could translate as undulation or wave, but it's also the ~mysterious~ element in the game so I went with 'surge'. Also, it's technically more like a "mass of surges" rather than a "surging mass" but meh.
  3. Skills descriptions: accurate attack -> sure-hit attack. They use RPGMaker's Certain Hit attack type, which is distinct from the magical and physical attack types. I'm not using RPGMaker terminology because skill description character limits are at a premium.
  4. Monster lore: Child monster -> Smallfolk monster. You've been gnomed to facilitate a marketability towards--No, actually it was because I phoned in the original translation of 小人 [kobito]. The mythological meaning is much more likelier considering that they're, you know, monsters. And no one calls children 小人.
  5. Monster lore: Rhinoceros beetle monster -> Beetle monster. Practically a mistranslation.
  6. Terminology: magical being -> magical lifeforms. Somewhere they're described as not quite alive so I figured "well I'm just not going to translate that as 'lifeform' then", but then this inconsistency gets pointed out in awake and I look like a dunce for trying to use critical thinking.
  7. Enemy attacks: Crystallize -> Crystal Scythe, and Evil Whirlwind Verse -> Wicked Whirlwind Rend. Practically mistranslations, and they make a more notable return in awake.
  8. Enemy attack: Swift Lightning's Direct Impacts -> Swift Thunder Direct Impact. This attack's name was and still is a travesty, but it makes a return in awake and now fits its character limit.

darksshades

Reputation score
I've added the change resolution script to the game if anyone wants to use it.
Pressing F8 will double the game resolution or turn it back to normal (Changed to F8 key because F5 key was already set to backlog on this)

Just replace the translation file with this one. I don't think any future translations changes will ever change this file but if it do, this modification was made based on the english patch 1.1.7 from the above post.

Attachments

yuyuya

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I believe this skill from alchemist only targets 1 ally, not all allies.

MrSerji

Reputation score
@sub-par
First of all a big thank you for the translation^^

Finally got the "rights" to the suite. What's missing now is the panties scene with Rabi and the second scene with the Murder Maiden.

Unfortunately I don't know where I can find the Panties (generally all of them, I only have those of Tirma and the sub-heroes)...
A tip would be nice ^^

And I don't know where the second scene with Murder Maiden is triggered in the Arctar Wasteland. I've searched all over there. I would be very happy about a tip :D

Arenara

Lurker
Reputation score
@sub-par
First of all a big thank you for the translation^^

Finally got the "rights" to the suite. What's missing now is the panties scene with Rabi and the second scene with the Murder Maiden.

Unfortunately I don't know where I can find the Panties (generally all of them, I only have those of Tirma and the sub-heroes)...
A tip would be nice ^^

And I don't know where the second scene with Murder Maiden is triggered in the Arctar Wasteland. I've searched all over there. I would be very happy about a tip :D
For Rabi's panties, go fight training chickener and then look in the bathroom.

For the second scene with the murder maiden, just search the room the murder maiden was in,

MrSerji

Reputation score
For Rabi's panties, go fight training chickener and then look in the bathroom.

For the second scene with the murder maiden, just search the room the murder maiden was in,
Oh, okay, well, thanks. I'll check it out later :)

Murder Maiden:
I already searched the room several times and found nothing there :/