What's new

Shavin/Groomin Discussion

Hoyasiamica

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score
If anyone wants to, they can use this thread for asking any questions or doing discussion relating to personal grooming.

I'm starting to grow some facial hair along my jawline and the style I want has "horns"
last Sunday I tried shaving including the horns and it was too difficult and didn't come out how I wanted it to
I use a safety razor n wanted to ask if any members of this forum use a straight razor and wouldn't mind telling me about your experience with it

Obsidious

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score
Re: Shavin/Groomin Discussion

I have used a straight razor in the past, and it really gives you the best possible result. However I wouldn't use it to shave the outlines of whatever kind of beard you have in mind unless you have lots of experience. Seriously, you will just hurt yourself.

OP
Hoyasiamica

Hoyasiamica

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

a community of expert shavers told me that the shavettes are "less forgiving" than the straight razors

Obsidious

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

a community of expert shavers told me that the shavettes are "less forgiving" than the straight razors
That is if you don't insert the blade properly, which will force you to shave in a different angle. But whatever the experts say, man. I was just saying how I did it.

OP
Hoyasiamica

Hoyasiamica

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

That is if you don't insert the blade properly, which will force you to shave in a different angle. But whatever the experts say, man. I was just saying how I did it.
(the emphasis was meant to point out how ridiculous tons of people are with how they think they are with shaving, not say that I think your opinion is worthless compared to a few things other people said)

they said that it would be best to actually start with a straight for practice and then one would have skills with a shavette whenever they needed to

that honestly sounds pointless because the shavettes would be cheaper and get your hand for the straights at least somewhat

I think I'll start with a Feather and see how I like it

OP
Hoyasiamica

Hoyasiamica

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

I tried out an electric shaver n it was sooooo nice
it gives me the precision I want n doesn't leave my skin entirely smooth

I'll stick with this until I have doubts about it

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

Yeah, my electric shaver broke about 6 months ago.

Going back to my old razor, I certainly get a much closer shave with a blade than I do with the electric, and can actually get away with only shaving every 2 days as a result, and it's also a hell of a lot easier to get a few annoying spots on my neck that I had trouble getting with the electric. There's no screwing around and going over the area and holding it from different angles, it's just one swipe and gone.

But I don't do facial hair, this is just to remove all, no styling involved.

Lurker
Reputation score

I keep a beard, and keep it trimmed. People love it because it's a different color than my hair (natural) and I love it because I don't get carded at liquor stores and rated R movies anymore. So it's a win/win.

Expert shavers sound like not a real thing, and probably jerks

OP
Hoyasiamica

Hoyasiamica

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

I got a haircut today and the person cutting my hair used a straight razor on the back of my neck
it felt fantastic <3
she said they sold straight razors there and they had shavettes too