What's new

ACT Abandoned [Shonash Works] The Nanite Crisis

sgtbilco

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score
The Nanite Crisis

menu.png

I've been lurking on this forum for a few years now and I finally decided to get off my ass and try and make something.

The goal of this project is to create a successor to the abandoned H-Game project " " by Japanese developer: inui
The game will feature a 2.5D sidescrolling plane with standard jump and shooting combat mechanics from the original with some additional innovations of my own.
I'm making this in Unity3D.

"Topics" we'll attempt to "cover":
- Undead
- Bestiality
- Impregnation / Birth

Topics definitely not on the syllabus:
- Guro
- Loli
- Shota / Futa

Plot:
The game story takes place some 6 months after the "last known" events of Nanocrisis. Reika has gone missing somewhere inside the restricted zone during her mission. Eager to find out what happened to her older sister and further determine the cause of the disaster, Maia (new main character) teams up with Sumire to follow in Reika's footsteps and take up the mantle.

Q: Why Nanocrisis and not Hounds of the Blade?
A: Reason is twofold, Inui may very well come back to Hounds and 'finish' it but moreso the fact that I don't care for the design decisions in Hounds. Between Duckman, space aliens, and green elvish gangsters, I prefer the slightly more grounded Nanocrisis lore.

Q: What will the gameplay be like?
A: Overall I'm going to replicate the original 2D combat system as much as I can. I'm thinking Maia will also have special one-time use weapon abilities such as the ability to deploy crowd control weaponry (ie. turrets). Probably no melee weapons however since that's the central focus of Hounds.

I wasn't too crazy about the suit leveling system, that may not reappear but if it does, it'll be different. Weapons however will be upgradable and will also feature a loadout selection before the start of each stage.

Q: Will the same enemies appear?
A: Yes, our old pals are all here, the zombies, mutant flies, zombie-dogs, and more will appear. I have a few ideas for some 'boss' characters as well.

Q: Is the world the same?
A: Not quite, I'm retconning a few things for the sake of gameplay. Particularly the world map so I can actually correlate it to some 3D geometry.

Q: Are you on the Patreon train?
A: No. I work a full time job so I don't believe it would be fair to take monthly donations for something I can't devote 100% to. However, if you want to give one-off donations, you can . They will help me purchase assets, code snippets and generally move things along.

Q: When will it be released?
A: When its complete. I'll post updates as often as possible and make all builds public.

Q: What will it cost?
A: Nadda. Zilch. It's not even my idea so of course I can't in good faith ask for anything.

saviliana

Sex Demon
Reputation score
Could you please consider adding a information screen with x-ray like the one in Violated Heroines (VH01)?

OP
sgtbilco

sgtbilco

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score
Could you please consider adding a information screen with x-ray like the one in Violated Heroines (VH01)?
This would be very hard to do in realtime 3D, unless maybe its a shader effect like cowl vision in Batman Arkham.
I could easily do a 2D HUD representation. I'll think more about this, sure. I've actually never played VH

Cyborg999

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
I'm so excited! Nine years here and you're making something, something that seems quite ambitious in fact! I respect your decisions in 'topics' and why you're working with Nanocrisis, and hearing you explain your reasons why has actually got me quite excited to see it.

I always thought that Hounds was just a bit too 'fantasy' and way too... ah... uncanny? Grotesque? Just plain silly looking, in some of the character and enemy designs. Having a more grounded world with more characters like, frick, what's her name? The one who gives you assignments and sends rapist holograms after you? That would be ideal. Less weird tone-crunching duckmen, pls~

The only thing that I find difficulty accepting is... you don't want to be paid at all for the work you do on this game? Not during development or after? I suppose I'll donate, then, especially if development takes longer than a year. With progress, you deserve to be paid.

Anyway, about your information screen, I believe he's talking about the 'diary' screen in VH, where there's a visual 2D representation of your character's current insides. It's a menu, not a real-time in game rendering, and I would get a picture but I've sworn off of games where the MC is too young to technically count as a millennial.

kiko

aka the Asian rapper Kikkoman Flowsauce
Reputation score
Nice. I was very saddened when he abandoned Nano Crisis (and later on abandoned 2 more games). Had a lot of potential, also had some of the hottest scenes for h-games in its time. Glad to see someone picking it up. I wish you nothing but luck and patience in the development period, and I can't wait to see a playable demo

OP
sgtbilco

sgtbilco

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score
The only thing that I find difficulty accepting is... you don't want to be paid at all for the work you do on this game? Not during development or after? I suppose I'll donate, then, especially if development takes longer than a year. With progress, you deserve to be paid.
Here's my rational. Much like Inui has done, if I never deliver a final product, nobody has lost anything (or much of anything for that matter). If I can cover the costs of assets I need to purchase then great but again its not my idea and although I'm sure Inui hasn't copyrighted the material its a little weird taking the product from him. If perhaps by the end there's a big enough call for it, I can attach a (small) number to it but for the present I'm not thinking about it.

MajorKagami

Tentacle God
Reputation score
from what I was playing around with once in Unity most of nano stuff was from free assets at the start I know the girl her outfit and the gun are. there is a good bit of free stuff, at lest there was lest time I tried making something. so.....how did you get the camera to fellow the player model, and not fall over and fly off the screen?

OP
sgtbilco

sgtbilco

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score
Inui originally made everything with DAZ Studio assets then rendered them with DAZ/Poser. He then imported each piece to GameMaker. It's actually a pretty smart process if a bit tedious.

To get this rapidly done, I'm trying to use as many assets from the store as possible. On the blog I've mentioned that I'm using uPlatformer for the actual player & camera movement system. It has a cam follow feature out of the box. I'm currently focusing on the zombie AI and trying out different solutions.

Deathwing9000

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Inui originally made everything with DAZ Studio assets then rendered them with DAZ/Poser. He then imported each piece to GameMaker. It's actually a pretty smart process if a bit tedious.

To get this rapidly done, I'm trying to use as many assets from the store as possible. On the blog I've mentioned that I'm using uPlatformer for the actual player & camera movement system. It has a cam follow feature out of the box. I'm currently focusing on the zombie AI and trying out different solutions.
You also mentioned " Problem is I havent quite figured out the physics of it all, so she currently goes flying on death."

There is a way you can get around this, invisible collision walls (this is something we did in Unity back in college courses for Java script games, granted if this was in Unreal Engine you could just create a bounding box and boom problem solved).

either way, you just need to create the play area and outside of that a collision box/reverse box method, as this appears to be a side scroller game you will not have to worry too much about things coming from outside of the play area (the Foreground), if you want things to come in from the background/mid ground you can simply create an animation once animation finishes playing, spawn the creature there with the bounding boxes/collisions included to be on the play area.

Hope this helps a little bit with your problem... (that or set physics to X,Y Axis and not Z axis)