What's new

So, looking at making another attempt at a Dark Heresy run...

ShadowWolfSBI

Chief Spam Hunter Why Are You Making Me Do This
Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Like the title says, I'm considering attempting another pass of running a Dark Heresy game, using a couple of lessons learned from my last attempt, as well as a few other things I've picked up from various sources.

For those interested, I'll be doing a few house-rules-ish things with character creation, so don't go rolling up characters just yet if you are interested. I'll wait to post anything on those until I've got 3-4 posts of interest.

The initial incident will be investigation-focused, and the player group will be handling small aspects of it.

EDIT: No, I will not be repeating the surprise I pulled with the one combat in my last attempt.

Last edited:

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score
Re: So, looking at making another attempt at a Dark Heresy run...

Certainly willing to give it another shot, jus need to make sure I post in a timely manner this time >_>;

OP
ShadowWolfSBI

ShadowWolfSBI

Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Okay, so between Lurker, and some others who've made some comments elsewhere, I've gotten enough possible interest built up that I'm going to go ahead and type up how I've been thinking about handling character creation for this.

ALLOWED BOOKS: Corebook, Blood of Martyrs, Book of Judgement, The Inquisitor's Handbook, and The Lathe Worlds. Ascension and web-supplement Heresy Begets Retribution will also be allowed, however materials from those will not play a role in character creation. Expanded XP track from Ascension will be in use.

STAT GENERATION: As per random method detailed in the Corebook, with one exception: Roll up nine totals, then assign the rolls before adding homeworld-specific values. However, if you discuss a character concept with me, I may choose to give you a few extra characteristic bonus points if I feel like the situation warrants it. For example, someone discusses playing a choppy-based Assassin character with me, then rolls their stats. Weapons Skill (The Melee Accuracy Characteristic), for example, ends up at only 26 (which is pretty low for the system). In this case, because they talked with me before derping together the character, I'd probably choose to grant them a +5 to their WS. On the other hand, if the first clue I had that they were thinking about a character for this was their completed sheet, I wouldn't.

CHARACTER BACKGROUND PACKAGES: These will be unavailable for purchase. However, I may choose to grant one to your character, based on their background/concept. I have to read or be told such, prior to any such decision being made. If I decide to give one to the character, they receive all of the effects of it, but do not have to spend XP for it.

STARTING WOUNDS, FATE POINTS, WEALTH, AND XP: Treat Wounds and Fate Points as if you had rolled the max for any related die rolls. Do the same for Wealth, but also add TWO months of Rank 1 Income to your total. In addition, characters shall start with 500 XP to spend. This will mean that once starting XP is spent, they will be at Rank 2.

SISTERS OF BATTLE CHARACTERS: Use the BoM version, with the following adjustments: Replace "Basic Weapon Training (Bolt)" from starting talents with "Basic Weapon Training (Flame)". Replace the Bolter in starting gear with a Flamer. Replace "Basic Weapon Training (Flame)" with "Basic Weapon Training (Bolt)" at Rank 2. Swap the Rank Availability of "Pistol Training (Bolt)" and "Pistol Training (Flame)". Bolt Pistols require Rank 4 to be requisitioned, and Bolters are available at Rank 5. Hand Flamer may be requisitioned at Rank 2. In addition, any Sister of Battle will be from the "Order of the Argent Flame", which I developed based off of charts for minor order generation I discovered elsewhere.

CHARACTER DIVINATION: The final step in the Corebook's Character Creation Rules, I will generate this for the characters myself, and such shall serve as sort of a "Stamp of Approval" for the character.

Last edited:

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

Random question on the stat rolls, we doing it how the book states, with the stats rolled in order, or like prior games where we can sort the stat numbers however?

OP
ShadowWolfSBI

ShadowWolfSBI

Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Eh, we'll go ahead and do the previous "Roll then place." Let me update the Char-Gen info post with that.

OP
ShadowWolfSBI

ShadowWolfSBI

Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score

About to head to bed now. I'm going to give this until I wake up, but at the moment, I've only had Lurker contact me or otherwise give any indication that characters are being worked on, so I'm going to operate under the belief that initial interest has dried up.

If you're working on a character, or are otherwise interested, but haven't said anything yet (Here or via Forum PMs), the next few hours are your last chance. Otherwise, I'm going to declare this dead.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

I have the character finished, just not posted cus was waiting to figure out a character sheet post point... >_> Come on other interested, git on my level!

OP
ShadowWolfSBI

ShadowWolfSBI

Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Re: So, looking at making another attempt at a Dark Heresy run...*DEAD*

Well, I even gave a couple of hours extra time after I got up. Since it's still just Lurker for interest, this is dead.

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

You should give more time for people who maybe aren't currently scouting the Sign Up threads to notice this sort of thing.

Are you saying that you would have the free time and the capability to run a full campaign this time if you got more interest?

OP
ShadowWolfSBI

ShadowWolfSBI

Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Maybe. Have to see, since just started/restarted at a job with basically full-time hours. And no comp access while working.

And I doubt that it was "jumping the gun" as you put it, since I'd had some express interest privately, then nothing after I put up the character creation info, and I saw both people on during the period I had it open, so they would have known about, and seen, it. There were also a few who had said that they would have played, but for certain reasons would not be able to. So there were people looking and reading the thread, just little interest actually being shown.

Last edited:
OP
ShadowWolfSBI

ShadowWolfSBI

Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Okay, after some thought, I'm going to check to see if there's some remaining interest in this. *HOWEVER* there are going to be a couple of changes.

First off, I've decided that I'm going to attempt to run this as scheduled session-based deal, either via some manner of voice-chat like Skype, or maybe through the SHC. Scheduling will likely have to be either Saturdays at some point between 0930 and 1600, or Sundays between 1400 and 1900. All times Eastern Time Zone.

Second off, there will be a penalty to missing a session without notice: First and second offense, your character will lose a randomly determined limb to some manner of accident, and you'll have to acquire a replacement. Third offense, the character will be "SUDDENLY, COMMISSAR!"'d, and you will be dropped from the game. If you sign up but end up not being able to meet the schedule and notify me of this, then I'll just rotate the character out.

EDIT: Oh, and if characters start trying to race to see who gets the Mark of Slaanesh first, expect the Commissar.

EDIT the 2nd: Also, while I might be able to a little next weekend, don't expect anything major prior to about the 30th, due to personal scheduling.

Last edited:

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

April will be a bit hectic on my end, but hey, I mostly lurk in Special Hell anyway. Still, will try to keep up!

Also, cus I did it first anyway, here we go, charsheet finally posted physical:

Name: Zieg 'Boomstick' Murtras
Homeworld: Gunpoint (Hive World)
Hive Class: Ganger Scum
Career: Arbitrator
Build: Brawny
Skin: Fair
Hair: Blond
Eyes: Green
Quirk: Scars
Divination: -
Starting Package: -

Weapon Skill: 37 (17+20)
Ballistic Skill: 40 (20+20)
Strength: 35 (15+20)
Toughness: 28 (13+15)
Agility: 31 (11+20)
Intelligence: 28 (8+20)
Perception: 33 (13+20)
Willpower: 27 (7+20)
Fellowship: 31 (6+25)

(Rolls: 13, 17, 7(Reroll:6), 8, 13, 15, 11, 7, 20)

Wounds: 13/13
Fate: 3
Insanity Points: 0
Corruption Points: 0

---

Traits
Accoustomed to Crowds - Crowds do not count as Difficult Terrain
Caves of Steel - Tech-Use counts as a Basic Skill
Hivebound - Hivers take a -10 to Survival tests, additional -5 to Intelligence out of 'proper habs'
Wary - +1 to Initiative rolls.
Basic Skills (aka untrained)
Tech Use (Caves of Steel) - Activate technology and try field repairs.
Advanced Skills (aka some training)
Awareness - Notice ambushes, spot traps, etc.
Common Lore (Adeptus Arbites, Imperium) - Knowledge is power.
Drive (Ground Vehicle) - Used to control the type of vehicle in manuvers.
Inquiry - Always seeking the truth in between the lines.
Literacy - BECAUSE POOR LITERACY IS KEWL!
Scrutiny - Make sure people tell the truth.
Speak Language (Low Gothic, Hive Dialect) - Good job, you know words.
Talents
Basic Weapons Training (SP) - Use Basic Weapons without penalty.
Melee Weapons Training (Primitive) - Use Melee Weapons without penalty.
Pistol Training (SP) - Use Pistols without penalty.
Quick Draw - Ready weapons as a Free Action
Rapid Reload - Reduces reload times by half for all weapons.

Gear:
Throne Gelt: 20

Weapons
Shotgun
30mRange S/-/-ROF 1d10+4IDamage 0Pen 2Clip 2FullReload Scatter,Reliable
Judgeslayer Handcannon
20mRange S/-/-ROF 1d10+2IDamage 6Pen 4Clip 2FullReload Unreliable, Unstable
---
Brass Knuckles
1d5-1IDamage 0Pen Primitive
Club
1d10IDamage 0Pen Primitive
Enforcer Riot Shield
1d10IDamage, 0Pen, Defensive, Primitive, Enforcer Bonus
Mono Knife
3mRange Thrown/Melee, 1d5RDamage 2Pen Mono
---
112 Shells
100 Bullets
---
Defensive - +15 bonus when Parry, -10 penalty when attacking.
Enforcer Bonus - +3 AP for Body and Arm from Primitive, +1 AP from others. Other hand can still wield other weapons, up to pistol-sized.
Mono - Upgrade, +2 Pen and removes Primitive.
Primitive - AP is doubled for opposing armor unless also Primitive
Reliable - Only Jams on a roll of 10 on a 1d10
Scatter - At PointBlank, +2 Degrees of success adds a hit. At Long/Extreme, AP is doubled.
Unreliable - Jams on a roll of 91 or higher.
Unstable - On hit, roll 1d10. 1 Half Damage, 2-9 Normal Damage, 10 Double Damage.
Armor
Flak Vest
Body Location, 3 AP
Uniform (Good Quality Clothing)
Misc
Injector (3 Stimm Doses)
Arbitrator ID
Chrono
Flask of Amasec

Total Spent EXP:
Saved XP: 500
XP Log
R1 - Awareness +100, Drive (Ground Vehicles) +100, Scrutiny +100, Pistol Training (SP) +100, Rapid Reload +100,

Short Bio:
Hiver turned Arbite, Zieg Murthas turned to the right side of the law after some rather painful time spent in the penthouse for the usual Hiver shenanigans. Turning into a hard-fighting officer of the law, Zieg has served his home hive sector for many years, before being advanced into Inquisitorial service. While Zieg can be a bit too gun-happy at times, he is heavily devoted to the Imperium, and it's view of protocols, to the point where he'd gladly cart his own acolyte team off to jail should they break the Imperial Creed too heavily.

OP
ShadowWolfSBI

ShadowWolfSBI

Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Heh. Well, April is, as I said, going to be pretty much out for me, as well. Got Tech Week this coming week at the local theater, then Final Rehearsals the week after, and the Performance the two weekends after that (15-17, 22-24). Hence why I said it was unlikely that anything major would happen session-wise until the 30th.

Also, Zieg's Divination: "The gun is mightier than the sword." (+3 to Ballistics Skill)

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Okay, after some thought, I'm going to check to see if there's some remaining interest in this. *HOWEVER* there are going to be a couple of changes.

First off, I've decided that I'm going to attempt to run this as scheduled session-based deal, either via some manner of voice-chat like Skype, or maybe through the SHC. Scheduling will likely have to be either Saturdays at some point between 0930 and 1600, or Sundays between 1400 and 1900. All times Eastern Time Zone.

Second off, there will be a penalty to missing a session without notice: First and second offense, your character will lose a randomly determined limb to some manner of accident, and you'll have to acquire a replacement. Third offense, the character will be "SUDDENLY, COMMISSAR!"'d, and you will be dropped from the game. If you sign up but end up not being able to meet the schedule and notify me of this, then I'll just rotate the character out.

EDIT: Oh, and if characters start trying to race to see who gets the Mark of Slaanesh first, expect the Commissar.

EDIT the 2nd: Also, while I might be able to a little next weekend, don't expect anything major prior to about the 30th, due to personal scheduling.
Turning this into a scheduled IRC game will count me out. I'm in Australian timezones with a regular full time job. And even on that Saturday time, you'd be starting at my 11pm and going straight through the wee hours of my night, which I can't do as it would sabotage my sleep schedule.

If you still allow for this to be a play by forum game, then I can play.

OP
ShadowWolfSBI

ShadowWolfSBI

Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Well, I'm afraid that you're unavailable for this then, Blue. I've gotten some more people giving interest and character concepts to me (Including a few of the "I'm not playing because reasons" people) since choosing to switch it to either Hope's SHC or some manner of voice-chat (not IRC) than I had prior. Those times I mentioned are the only times I'm going to have available due to my full-time-hours job. And no, I'm not considering splitting things up and doing some people in the sessions, and some on forum threads. The story I've got worked up wouldn't work out trying to do it that way.

Last edited:

Hentaispider

Lord of the Tap Dance \oO.Oo/ (And Reputation Mana
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

As I've already said, I'm interested and making a Schola Progenium adept of some sort, probably teacher or researcher type. I'd prefer text over voice, but I suppose I could manage either.

EDIT: Preliminary version of Darius, an adept who grew up in a Schola Progenium: should be finished now.

Last edited:
OP
ShadowWolfSBI

ShadowWolfSBI

Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Okay, clearing Spider's character, since everything so far seems to be checking out.

And Darius' Divination is: "The wise man learns from the deaths of others." (+3 to Intelligence)

Hmm. Seem that the rolls I'm doing to generate Divinations are coming up with useful ones.

OP
ShadowWolfSBI

ShadowWolfSBI

Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Since it was pointed out to me that the Corebook in the Dropbox didn't have the errata incorporated, I added the most up-to-date version that I have access to into the folder.

OP
ShadowWolfSBI

ShadowWolfSBI

Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Okay, so... Need to check to see here. Which of the following two times would be more convenient for the people involved in this: Saturdays 1000-1400 Eastern, or Sunday 1430-1830 Eastern?

While I'd kind of prefer to have done this via Voice-Chat, it's looking like SHC is probably going to be the method used.

Hentaispider

Lord of the Tap Dance \oO.Oo/ (And Reputation Mana
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

Saturday would be more convenient, but I can make Sunday work as long as you don't expect too much from me at 1:30 in the morning.