What's new

Solipsism.

R

Ryka

Solipsism is the belief that you are the only person who exists. And everything around you is imagined up, or dreamt. Everyone you know are people you imagined for your life. This could be because of the fact that only one person each is given a specific point of view, their own specific personality, etc.

My question to you is.... do you think the belief of Solipsism is real? What proves or disproves it? This is sort of a simple, yet challenging puzzle. People would be "Of course solipsism isn't real! People can feel pain like you do, feel emotions, etc." but.... it can also be argued that you cannot feel another's physical pain. Your sympathy may be able to play part in others emotional pain, but that is a mere behavior.

Are things you see just your imagination on a larger scale than storytelling? A more... physical imagination?

Hentaispider

Lord of the Tap Dance \oO.Oo/ (And Reputation Mana
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score
Re: Solipsism.

You might as well be asking whether we're really all just brains in jars or dreaming or...

Point is, you can't really do anything that would conclusive disprove it.

Atmo

Sex Demon
Reputation score

It is a romantic point of view of people who can't accept reality as it is. I myself, when as little, have some thoughts like this: everything is a huge Big Brother, no one is treating me like they should or liked.

Hey, i was a kid. This "syndrome" or "disease" is something that can't be easely explained.

Bartnum

Lurker
Former Moderator
Reputation score

The core principle of solipsism is that the only thing you can be certain of is the existence of your own mind. This much, I'd agree with - I think therefore I am, but lacking a way to get inside the heads of others I can't verify that they think/exist. And since I only perceive the world around me through my 5 senses (which can be deceived) and can't step outside of them to verify it, I also can't be certain that any of the phenomena I experience aren't simply fabrications of my mind.

To take it further and say that the mind IS the only thing that exists is a bit extreme but ultimately can't be proven one way or the other. There's no real reason to assume that the world and people around you aren't real, but there's also no way to prove beyond all doubt that they are, either.

Thinking about it can lead to other interesting thought exeriments as well. By extension of the core principle, I also can't be certain that I didn't come into existence at this instant in time. I have memories which tell me I've existed for years, but I can't travel back in time to verify that they really happened. And if my mind can dream up so many people for me to interact with and a world for me to do it in, why not a couple of decades of false memories as well?

Such thoughts are fun little philosophical exercises and kind of interesting to consider, but it's all ultimately fruitless. Just another string of questions that can't be given a definite answer and probably never will be.

Last edited:

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score

It's a pretty interesting concept, I'll agree. There are many ways our brains can be deceived, though I have to tell you the idea of something like the Matrix or you all only exist in my head makes me sad and depressed.

And makes all that sex with Ben useless and futile

Lurker
Reputation score

I fiddles with the idea some time ago, and ultimately came to the conclusion that it leads to easily to selfishness and a disregard for others. Even if everybody is just my imaginary friend I'd rather treat them right.

handofdoz

Lurker
Reputation score

also sounds oddly close to a god complex.....

Bartnum

Lurker
Former Moderator
Reputation score

This thread has reminded me of that's kind of relevant to the topic. Worth a read if you have the time.

Cappy

Reputation score

I find it incredibly unlikely that an infantile mind would fabricate an entire universe of things that they cannot comprehend, then simply fill in the blanks until they have a story so convoluted that only their subconscious, or "sub-sub-conscious" could actually keep track of it all. If Solipsism was true, then clearly all your or "my" perception of anything would be fabricated, and reality would not only be inaccessible behind a wall of illusion, but may not even exist.

As it is, reality is a very vague term that doesn't really have much a grounded definition. Solipsism basically glazes over an implication that either nothing exists, and this is all an illusion cast in a sea of nothing... Or that the universe is the passing whim of some cosmically superior entity who's imagination knows no bounds. Frankly, I don't reckon myself that highly, and I believe anybody who does deserves to have two of his knees bust with a tire-iron. He'll have a tough time *not* being down-to-earth, if you know what I mean.