What's new

Temple of the Elders: OOC Chat (FINALLY PLAYABLE)

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Temple of the Elders: OOC Chat (FINALLY PLAYABLE)

Well, that fucking sucks. I don't think even Darkest Dungeon forced you to get lucky to level up.

OP
Mamono Assault Force

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Tbf you don't need to get super lucky, as the chance of finding several shrines is fairly high enough. Many people are finding several shrines over and over again. Though I didn't want to just allow people to get xp and spend it however they will, because you'd clearly go for the most optimal picks every single time. What I instead wanted to go for are shrines dedicated to a single asset of leveling up and you have to make the choice of using it to gain what benefits you can or moving on and hoping you do get what you want.

Since it's supposed to be a roguelike, luck and choices were the driving force behind these decisions. You can indeed have a shit run.

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score

Yeah, but most roguelikes gave you shit runs through unfair challenges, lack of good equipment/spell drops or general loot, afflictions and whatnot. I've yet to see a roguelike where actual leveling is randomized.

Then again, given the system in question it may be difficult to come up with something else.

OP
Mamono Assault Force

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

It's kinda sorta the opposite for now, since after you luck out with denarii, then you pretty much are free to purchase equipment and upgrade it at your leisure. Though I'm pondering how to make materials random too, or if I should at all. It'd be something I'd have to think about.

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score

Well, I suppose this will take some thinking. Though I wonder, are cross-class talents more expensive as usual?

OP
Mamono Assault Force

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

By default they are, but I'm debating making it less expensive. I think the current thing is twice the cost? I believe that was mostly done by Tass to kinda prevent people from going nuts. Though this is TotE where insanity is on the doormat. Sooo, it will cost more, but not x2. I'm thinking a talent will cost 10-12 xp instead of 16. So in general, you still will want to stick to your niche, but you can take other talents if you so desire.

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score

Where do you get the option to spend cash, btw? You got a shop encounter in there or something?

OP
Mamono Assault Force

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

End of the floor, before the boss.

OP
Mamono Assault Force

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I've decided that talents not in your main class should cost 12xp, so it costs x1.5 more instead of x2.