What's new

The Dividing Line - Engineering

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score
((This thread includes the Energy Converter room and the adjacent control room.))

The light of the group's flashlights cuts the Energy Converter out of the dark. Like a dwelling dragon it sits in the middle of a circular room. It looks like a big ring; Superconductors reach down from all kind of funnels and chutes and join into one big cable loom before departing again to plug into the construction. The entire room is conic, narrowing into the darkness above. Here too the group walks on catwalks rather than the ground.

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score
Re: The Dividing Line - Engineering

Now to try and find the problem. Senkek says before tying off his bag of parts to a railing and using his jet pack to maneuver into the air around the converter. He then starts flying around it slowly to look for any signs of damage.

OP
Rule 34

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

The problem is quickly found. A cable as thick as a tree drifts in the vacuum. A fitting socket can be seen in the upper part of the Energy Converter.

"Didn't I ask you to wait?" Thall lands on the other side of the hatch and steps through. He doesn't really sound upset, though.

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

No, you told Kars to wait, not me. Senkek says before looking at the cable, You've got to be kidding me... It's just unplugged!?!

OP
Rule 34

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

"Of course it's unplugged. What did you expect?" The question is not rethoric - Thall really seems to be interested.

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

I was expecting it to be offline because of some source of damage, possibly by whatever attacked the others earlier. Maybe some broken panels or torn wiring or something of the like. This just seems to... simple. Senkek says, thinking it odd that restoring power to the old station would be so easy.

Bartnum

Lurker
Former Moderator
Reputation score

"So... who unplugged it?"

OP
Rule 34

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

"Well, the space station was abandoned. So I figure it was the previous crew." Thall steps over to a monitor on the wall and plugs in two cables that he draws from a small hatch in his helmet. Slowly, flickering like a blinking eye, it comes alive. Thall hmms and taps on a few buttons, then nods. "Good. As soon as somebody is on the bridge we can get this show on the road."

OP
Rule 34

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

After a little while Nadia's voice comes over the channel. "Thall, we are ready on our side." Thall nods and turns towards the others. "Alright. I've gotta keep an eye on this. Would any of you mind to plug in the cable?"

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

Can do. Senkek says as he maneuvers himself over to the large cable before flying it to the socket. Gently pushing it it he calls over, Could you tell them to wait on the gravity until I'm back on the catwalks? He then proceeds to move back to the catwalks.

OP
Rule 34

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Thall is about to answer, but in that moment the Energy Converter comes alive with first a low buzz that quickly works up to almost intolerable noise. One by one the lights in the room come online and shed light into the darkness above them. A door on the other side of the room opens up, only to close directly after.
As gravity kicks in Senkek barely manages to reach the catwalk - but his jet pack throws him off balance. Slowly he leans backwards, threatening to fall into the web of cables beneath - some of them frail enough that they could break. Thall curses and fumbles with the cables, but it's obvious he won't be fast enough.

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

Damn assholes. Senkek mutters under his breath as he sends some power to his jet pack's thrusters. While they don't work very well in gravity, they could help he keep his balance or make him fall forward onto the catwalk instead.

Bartnum

Lurker
Former Moderator
Reputation score

Cyrus' eyes widen at Draven's message.

"OH SHIT. Unless you guys specifically need me for something, I'm headed back to the hangar."

Cyrus turns and begins running back the way they had come.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

((Semi posting retroactively here))

Kars is quick to react as Senkek seems to be left hanging in the air with half a foot on the catwalk. He leans back, feet firmly on the ground and fires his wrist grapple, it cleanly attaching to a front plate on Senkeks suit. It only takes a light pull and the scavenger is back on ballance.

Kars reels in the graples ultra thin cord again and having heard dravens warning, checks the visual coming from his ship. "Ah snap, whats going on now?"

He could mince the thing with a press of a button, but he suspected Thall wouldn't like that. Plus the damage to the hanger floor would be troublesome. Seeing Thall bolt out of the room confirmed his thoughts. He simply enjoyed the show for a while as the Ashotour was brought down.

"So... regroup?" He says shruging to Senkek. "I'm not at home with this team stuff. What do ya do when everyone runs off?"

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

Normally? I start looting the place... Still I would get around to that with this station anyway, now is as good a time as ever. Senkek says as he begins to search the area for valuable pieces of equipment that are directly linked to the power generator.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

Kars grinned with delight, "Human, I like how you think. Though I think we might need the components in here as they are. Personally, I favour the spoils of an armoury over generator parts. I want to know if this place has a stock of MX40 rounds and Mug rockets."

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

I'm sure there is a map on one of these computers to point you towards the armory. Senkek replies.

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

Soon, Senkek decides there aren't enough useful parts her and looks for a terminal in engineering that would direct him to the main station maintenance room.

OP
Rule 34

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

He does find a guide panel next to the door to the control room. Upon entering maintenance however, all he gets is a map of the maintenance tunnels. Maybe a different term will get him farther?