What's new

The Fourth

Kathy

Lurker
Reputation score
The story.
Life, the Universe, and Everything. It was all created so long ago, by an unseen force that no one has witnessed since. "Good" and "Evil" keeping balance over one another, with 'mankind' self assured that THEY were the 'third power'.

They may have been right. In the distant future in a time of deep space travel, where nanomachines gave humans abilities that could almost surpass those of angels or demons, mortals eventually discovered a way to open the passageways to the physical realms of both heaven and hell.

Each group growing ever more distrusting of the others, was ready to begin the final battle, and bring about the end of days.

Then, a fourth power came.

Offering an alliance secretly with each of the other three, they all eagerly accepted, without knowing what they were getting into, and a climactic battle erupted.

In the wake of that first battle, Heaven, Hell, and the Mortal World were all left in ruins. The fourth power was not salvation from the apocalypse.

It was the trigger for it....

Classes/Allegiance
There are three choices for characters, Angels, Demons, and Mortals.

Angels have high power and capability, but are susceptible to corruption. They are granted their powers from an outside source which will just as happily take their powers away if they act out of line. Angels losing their powers will NOT merely become mortals, they simply lose their powers, and cannot do anything but wield what weapons they still own.

-Advantages: Strongest starter class. No real flaws.
-Disadvantages: WILL lose powers if acting like pricks like last game.

Mortals are the most adaptive of the group, though lacking many spirit powers that the others begin with, and weapons of man being weaker by compare, they find themselves capable of wielding weapons of both sides, and even capable of merging weapons that are of both sides to create new, powerful objects.

-Advantages: Most adaptive with weapons, can create mortal-only weapons that trump holy or demonic weapons.
-Disadvantages: No spirital powers, weak starting class from no +50% weapon options. Absorbed nano-powers often weaker than holy or demonic counterparts.

Demons exist as the spawn of darkness. Though each individual demon may represent one of many acts of sin or evil, more powerful ones often represent many, or even the mere negative existance as a whole, though a rare few demons may be less inclined to be evil, and merely be 'not good'. Demons gain power by taking it from others.

-Advantages: May steal powers from defeated foes, strongest power growth if enough XP to support it.
-Disadvantages: Weakest starting class, demonic weapons will always be outclassed by holy weapons.

Notes: There will be penalties for pointless in-fighting. Angels, fucking play good guys, act evil and you suffer. Mortals and Demons: Be evil if you'd like, but know if your actions cause the party to fail, you're going to be destroyed too. Hence to all 3 types, it's in your best interest to play nice, and acting against yourself in this way WILL cause the GM to step in and penalize you.

RPing tension, going off on different approaches to the same mission, refusing to risk yourself to aid a "foe" type, all accepted. Throwing a teammate into imminent rape or attacking her directly... NOT.

Angels -
+50% holy wepaon damage
-50% demon weapon damage
Support Items and Abilities
Holy weapons tend to be superior (single type) weapons.
Gains power by "offering" objects to their source.

Mortals -
100% damage for holy or demon weapons.
Tech focus/Devices (variety of powers)
Can create hybrid weapons from both holy and demonic power.
Gains power by absorbing tech with nanomachines.

Demons -
-50% holy weapon damage
+50% demon weapon damage
Offensive Items and Abilities
Gains power by absorbing it directly into themselves.
May gain additional powers by ripping it from enemies' existance.

A bit of system info:
Weapons can be used by any group, but give bonuses for familiarity with them and being in-tune. Items and abilities are race/class-specific, and as such they CAN NOT be used by other races. These penalties cannot be 'trained away' during the RP, as using computers is as foreign to angels/demons as wielding holy/demonic magics is to mortals. Things vague enough any race can use it will be tagged "generic", and possibly have an origin mark on it. But generic-tagged items have no bonus nor penalty for any race.

Spending Experience Points will allow you to take temporary skills (as available by equipping items) and turn them into permanent bonuses. Doing this absorbs the bonus out of the item through one of the means available to your group. (Angels give the power to their 'source', and can wield it, mortals analyze and retain data through nanotech, demons tear the power out and absorb it into themselves... more or less.)

Characters can equip up to 5 items before equipment burden sets in. This 'burden' is not in the physical sense, but refers to enduring multiple layers of magical (or technological) abilities not in-tune with their body. In this way, experience points are spent to bring the value under the character's control (in the methods described above).

In this manner, one could 'absorb' the power of weapons too, however this is not advised under normal circumstances. After all, 'stealing' a swords magic ability to be 'sharper', doesn't really help a punch be any stronger, as your fist is not a sharp weapon in any sense of the word. Thus, the action would ruin the sword (taking away it's power), while giving you very, very little (if anything) in return.

As this power-stealing is based on magic and tech 'bonuses', raw-objects (non-magic, non-tech) like everyday guns and swords have nothing to 'absorb' out of. They may be wielded as standard, and nothing more. Attempting to absorb them is merely wasting precious XP for no benefit, so have fun doing that if you really want to sit around absorbing everything you come across.

On Combat:
First attack per turn is always at base value. Each additional attack suffers a penalty based on the type of weapon. These penalties may range from simply a lower chance to hit, to actually causing the wielder injury.

Some weapons must be charged or have ammunition built up inside it (assuming it is not one of the rare weapons that cannot have ammo created for it, or is otherwise limited uses). In this case, number of charges/shots max will be listed, and amount that can be generated/charged per turn.

Ranges affect how far a weapon can strike efficiently at. "Melee" implies the weapon remains in the hands of the wielder when striking. Though some melee weapons have a range (whips, living-chains, etc), when they reach their limit, that is the end of it. Attacking past accepted range in Melee requires moving closer, and is deemed automatically done, potentially putting the attacker at risk of attacks of opportunity, walking into traps, or other dangers, if they're not careful.

For actual ranged weapons, up to it's first range has no penalty, and every range block after the first has a -2, up to it's limit. The format is ## (##)/ to ##.

(IE, a pistol would be 30 (10)/to 100. Meaning up to 30 meters/yards no penalty, and a -2 for every 10 feet after that, out to 100 meters/yards, where the weapon loses too much power to ever shoot accurately... So a shot at 50 meters gets a -4 (two modifiers past it's base range), while a shot at 90 meters would get a -12 (six modifiers past it's base range))

Charsheet
Name:
Race/Aligned: (angel, mortal, demon)
HP: 100 / 100
SP: 100 / 100
XP: 0
Bonuses:

Skills:

Equipped:
#1-
#2-
#3-
#4-
#5-
Basic-

Inventory:

Picture:
Description: (variance from picture if pic provided.)
Background: (Simple background provided assuming none is given here. Backgrounds must be approved.)

Weapon Info
New weapons may be submitted to the GM for approval. The basic stats of a weapon format sheet must be as follows:

(Weapon Name)
Ammo/Charges: (Charges). Reload: (Cost + time to make a charge).
Damage/To-Hit Modifier/Range. Multi-Attack Penalty.
Other bonuses/penalties.
Fluff.

"SVTNPP" - Standard Variable Tech Nano-Powered Pistol
Ammo: 5/5 shots. Reload: 5 sp per shot, 1 per turn.
2d6 damage, +0 to-hit, Range: 30(10)/to 100. Multi: Penalty raises per shot, -0/-3/-6/-9/-12 (max 5 shots, expending full clip.)
-Standard weapon, 100% damage for all classes.
-Note! Weapon Spends 1 ammo per shot.
-
A standard armament of the futuristic post-apocalypse mortal world, stuffed to the brim with nanomachines so it can effectively use a variety of 'hard' ammo. Standard shots fired from this weapon are created from debris and materials around the weapon itself, expending the wielder's energy to fuel it's nano-factory for ammo construction.

Angels/Demons have learned through experience against this weapon that it is surprisingly effective for a side-arm, and that by channeling their own power into the weapon, the nanomachines, not caring where they're powered from, will perform their duty in generating ammo.

Holy Blade - A fairly ordinary blade by Heaven's standards, it radiates holy power.
Charges: 2/2. Reload: 20 sp, 3 turns per recharge.
1d10+1 damage, +0 to-hit, Range: Melee. Multi: -3 to-hit per attack, all attacks made this round. (IE, 3 attacks a round, all three would get a -6.)
-Holy Weapon (150% damage for angels, 50% damage for demons.)
Abilities:
-Holy Light, 1 charge. Deals an additional 2d10+2 damage on the next successful strike (missing does not end this skill's charge).

Demonic Daggers - Small lightweight weapons of the underworld, tainted with dark power.
Charges: 3/3. Reload: 10 sp, 2 turns per charge.
1d6 damage, +1 to-hit. Range: Melee. Multi: -2 to-hit per attack, all attacks made this round.
-Demonic Weapon (150% damage for demons, 50% damage for angels.)
Abilities:
-Dark Speed, 1 charge, gains 2 extra attacks this round at no penalty.
-Dark Power, 2 charges, each strike does 2d6+1 damage instead of 1d6 this round.

Tech Fist - A strength altered glove designed for hard punching, and mortal martial arts, even capable of defending against swords.
Charges: 2/2. Reload: 10 sp, 2 turns per recharge.
1d10 damage. +0 to-hit, Range: Melee. Multi: -2 to-hit per extra attack, all attacks made this round.
Abilities:
-Overload Punch, 1 charge. A single punch causes a shockwave burst off the end of it, doing 1d10 damage in a wave off the front (90 degree arc, 2d6 damage, 180 degree arc, 1d6 damage). This effect's range is very short, but may injure multiple enemies (AND ALLIES, so be careful).
-Iron-Grip, 1 charge. On a successful called shot to grab an enemy weapon (must hit, and beat enemy's attack roll), the glove 'locks' around the weapon. The weapon is disabled until the enemy beats the 'gripped' character's to-hit with a -4 penalty. NOte: Maintaining this ability counts as 1 attack per turn, and this attack roll is the one the enemy must 'break' to free their weapon.

Black Swords - Swords pillaged from the weakest of the enemy's troops.
Charges: 10/10. Reload: 0 sp, 1 per turn.
1d6 damage. -4 to-hit. Range: Melee. Multi: -5 to hitper extra attack, all attacks made this round.
Abilities:
-Unknown.
-
This weapon feels poorly crafted and sluggish. It's as if it was made out of lead that was then painted black, with the cheapest, dullest, most lackluster paint in existance. Though a large two handed weapon, when not being wielded, it feels strangely light. It's blade seems dull even to the touch.

Last edited:

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: The Fourth

Question: how much H content is going to be included? Is it going to have a large impact on the gameplay, or just a bonus?

OP
K

Kathy

Lurker
Reputation score

Simple answer: This game could be played with no H-content at all. But you should expect nudity, sex, rape, and a variety of fetishes to make their way through the game regardless.

Long answer.

Raw gameplay is not going to be anything like the H-Focus of combat most forumgames here fall back on. If an enemy is attacking you, he wants to kill you. H-content will be variable based on character choices and approaches to some of the encounters. Many demons are beasts of lust, mortals always have a thing for sex, and even angels aren't above enjoying some tender love making. If you want some sexing from the enemy, you should expect it to be ruthless, painful, and likely end in a horrifying death.

Just to round out a few other aspects. This game will be bloody. During it's first run through so far, one enemy was squished in a very bloody way, leaving the group ankle deep in it for a bit. And the most sexual content was one of the 'fourth', slowly twisting a bladed appendage against an angel's heart as she murdered him.

Death in the game is not a gameover, angels and demons will reappear in their respective planes, and mortals have developed cloning tech. So everyone gets to respawn... barring a few exceptions, the most noteworthy being in your first encounter. Yes, you can perm-die in the first battle, and there is a very valid reason for this both IC and OOC.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

I'll try, I assume you want this thread for our char sheets, yes? If so I'll edit one in soon. I need to get my second char some more exposure.

Plus I'm in a really bloody mood right now, I hope I'm not disapointed.

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score

After reading Kathy's explanation, I can only say one thing: fucking awesome. Where do I post the character sheet?

Oh, and before I forget, one question about the Demonic Daggers. They have two special abilities and enough charges to use each of them once. Can they be used in the same turn?

Mirchie

The user previously known as Hero-in-the-Dark
Reputation score

I read. I liked. It's a shame my demon character wouldn't work in this RP, because teamwork isn't something she's good at. Oh well :rolleyes:

xivvix

Lurker
Reputation score

I can't help but be interested in anything Kathy posts, but, to be honest, I'm not too fond of ultra-violence.

OP
K

Kathy

Lurker
Reputation score

I'll try, I assume you want this thread for our char sheets, yes? If so I'll edit one in soon. I need to get my second char some more exposure.

Plus I'm in a really bloody mood right now, I hope I'm not disapointed.
Read parts of my Guro gameover (skultulla house) in LoZ CYOA (which yes, is no longer running for reasons I'm not going into right now).

I read. I liked. It's a shame my demon character wouldn't work in this RP, because teamwork isn't something she's good at. Oh well :rolleyes:
Anti-teamwork characters are accepted, you may even force your way through some single-character missions, or have forced teamwork thrust upon the character... Or make a character that would work well :p

After reading Kathy's explanation, I can only say one thing: fucking awesome. Where do I post the character sheet?

Oh, and before I forget, one question about the Demonic Daggers. They have two special abilities and enough charges to use each of them once. Can they be used in the same turn?
Multiple skills are allowed each turn. Including! Using the speed move for your entire 3 charges, or doubling on Holy Light. This will be a fairly common tactic in early game, until defensive techniques are discovered, at which point, many parts of the battle will revolve around strategic negation of defensive talents so you can unload huge swarms of combat skills on an unguarded enemy.

100 hp feels like a lot for everyone at this stage of the game, merely because of the lack of abilities everyone starts with. After your initial 5 inventory slots are filled, you may start to regret that I allow multiple skills per turn. :p

I can't help but be interested in anything Kathy posts, but, to be honest, I'm not too fond of ultra-violence.
Similar to how the ERP side can be toned down to focus more on the action, the violence side may be toned down in some cases to better suit an individual or small group that is not as heavily into it.

That being said... This IS a very nasty war taking place against an enemy that has already blown up the goddamn earth (yes, Earth is gone in this RP it was the first 'mortal' target. The sci-fi approach of humans allowed them to be advanced enough to survive it and be on par with the angels and demons).

First session ran fairly well, if a bit light on the violence overall. The group has met against some of the weaker members of the 'fourth', and are attempting to disable one of their weapons. This is, more or less, where everyone is going to be hurled into at the start of their story.

Character sheets can be sent over PM. I'm currently running this RP in rach's chat, but am likely to shift it's location to messengers, other chatrooms, or PMs and Emails (in that order), as groups of players gather. Characters may be furry/alien/other (if approved), all of which may be mortal, angel, or demon aligned, and will start with 1 weapon, which I recommend be from your group (Holy and Demon both get +50% damage, respectively, and mortal weapon has some nice abilities, the tech fist being the only AoE effect early on, and a disarming-skill, or the gun being fairly powerful and the only ranged weapon you may start with... if minorly limited due to ammo concerns). You may special request a weapon if you give me an idea of what you want it to do, and it's general concept. And if your character has an appropriate background to accept it, it will likely be balanced, then granted.

Due to this being a chat/active RP over a PM/Email/Forum-game style, I have a few rules that others occasionally question.

1) No posting order unless given a very strong reason for it. Actions, especially in battle, are chaotic. This should be reflected in posts, and having two players post contradicting actions gives me horrible, horrible things to work with, as they clash into one another while trying to take out an enemy.

2) You may jump in, or slide out, of an active game at any time, barring specific reasons your character cannot enter a scene. (I will always make a reason for an exit.) I have this rule because after GMing and participating in many chatgames, I have found games which require certain players to gather before it can continue, especially when it's more than 2, will essentially END the game. Don't worry too much though, if someone with a lot of playtime gets pitted with a relative newbie, it just means I'll divvy up combat and roles so the newbie finds himself or herself in adequately scaled fights, and will get appropriate growth... If the fight is necessary to place everyone together, temporary gear to balance the newbie, will be granted (stuff that burns out/exhausts after the fight).

3) As with all of my games, roleplaying better gives better things. I will always make better roleplayers, even ones who do not twink out for the best stats, have superior outcomes to all scenes and events. This means even if you lose, you may gain more benefits than someone who's one-lining at me and wins through sheer skillcount/luck.

Zenath

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Interesting...

I might be persuaded to take a stab at this, if only to try something new. Played plenty of MSN-based freeform RP, but never a rules-based one. Plus, the background has me intrigued.

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

I'll look more into this once I finish finagling a character for Mirafar.

(On a side note: my computer recognizes finagling as a word. Interesting.)

TheWeirdOne

KICK ME
Reputation score

Interest shown o.o

Gonna read everything when I'm done posting in MGI.