What's new

Through the Mists: Out of Character Discussion

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Through the Mists: Out of Character Discussion

She takes 5 damage, and also loses 5 Max HP until she takes a long rest. This is the mechanical effect of a vampire's bite. Also, if you are reduced to 0 HP from a bite attack, you do not make death saving throws, you are simply dead.

So she's at 28/28 HP
ah ok, 5 necrotic damage, just asking cause the other bite was different and I wondered if strike 2 had other effects, fine with permanently losing a max hitpoint for sexa vampire submissions, 5 seemed a lot. ^^

-Anywhoo, waiting on Esvele now, before responding further, perhaps she wants to de-escalate..

Last edited:
OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

What?

Any Max HP lost from the first bite have been restored.

This bite isn't different from the first one, she just succeeded at not doing piercing damage to you this time.

At the end of a long rest, Rovana will have all her HP back.

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

all good, was just confused as the first bite did only 1 necrotic iirc. *enjoys vampire nom noms*

GargantuaBlarg

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Blarg, is Esvele really over 40? Any reason why she looks like a hot 20-something?
Uhhhh she aged well?

It was always in my head that she would be older and milfy. I thought I'd put that down somewhere but I guess I didn't. >.<

OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

No worries. MILFy nun is fine, I just didn't realize. Gotta cougar all the young ones.

Diagasvesle

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Damn pervy D:. I go to sleep, do life stuff and come back and you already posting out this much?! Crazy.

EDIT: yay! Got posts out and stuff. Hopefully things continue to be fun like this :D.

@Mists of the North: Hm. How much leeway do I have with interacting with NPCs? I'm trying to keep all actions I do as... attempted by Malena and not "This happened" sort of thing.

Last edited:

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Make all the posts! I like to rp Sylvia as overly thrusting and not the fastest, but in this case, common superstitions actually helps her along and her backstory has her working a simple farmers life at first, so it stands to reason she'd know a thing or two about the windmills grains are delivered to as well, so she'd turn into the opposite once her mind is made up. Ironically a more clean and shiny looking villain could just as easy manipulate her, as Falkovnias miltiary has for all her life.

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

So. I actually had two questions on The birthright thingie, because I find the resource-balancing game interesting, but haven't yet read deeper into it, but the idea of having both a character and loyal(ish) citizens at your command to deal with issues is interesting. 'Actually, I don't want to deal with the gnoll horde, I sent my elite knights, lead by X and I myself go with only my bodyguard to deal with diplomacy with the vampire seductress' or vice versa.

So a few curious questions:
First of all, why don't -a lot- of folks specialize in assasinating royalty if it gives you such a boost, is there a limitation, or is the only limiting factor 'nobles are strong yo!', looking at Malena she doesn't seem all that intimidating in a 1on1 scenario, excluding the chest department.

In that same vein, I wonder if you considered making the power-draining occur through a .. different kind of stabbing, if you catch my drift.

Secondly I'm curious on the power scaling overall, I mean, godly blood sounds a bit Exalted RPG like, though in practicality it seems more L5R like, or perhaps just standard D&D adventure, but in a somewhat low magic enviroment, in that vein, a question in own interest, how would someone from that world Regard nobles, I know its a bit late for Rovana to do a 180, but if anyone with a claim to nobility is known to hold a greater potential, that would change how Rovana views Ludmilla, Strahd.. and the Dilisnya family with her own, somewhat sidelined aspirations.

I guess these two questions go in a similiar direction, lets say lvl 3 noble fighter and lvl 3 common fighter cross blades in Cerilia, both are of equal skill, what happens?

p.s. @Diagas: and :p

Last edited:

Diagasvesle

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

So. I actually had two questions on The birthright thingie, because I find the resource-balancing game interesting, but haven't yet read deeper into it, but the idea of having both a character and loyal(ish) citizens at your command to deal with issues is interesting. 'Actually, I don't want to deal with the gnoll horde, I sent my elite knights, lead by X and I myself go with only my bodyguard to deal with diplomacy with the vampire seductress' or vice versa.

So a few curious questions:
First of all, why don't -a lot- of folks specialize in assasinating royalty if it gives you such a boost, is there a limitation, or is the only limiting factor 'nobles are strong yo!', looking at Malena she doesn't seem all that intimidating in a 1on1 scenario, excluding the chest department.

In that same vein, I wonder if you considered making the power-draining occur through a .. different kind of stabbing, if you catch my drift.

Secondly I'm curious on the power scaling overall, I mean, godly blood sounds a bit Exalted RPG like, though in practicality it seems more L5R like, or perhaps just standard D&D adventure, but in a somewhat low magic enviroment, in that vein, a question in own interest, how would someone from that world Regard nobles, I know its a bit late for Rovana to do a 180, but if anyone with a claim to nobility is known to hold a greater potential, that would change how Rovana views Ludmilla, Strahd.. and the Dilisnya family with her own, somewhat sidelined aspirations.

I guess these two questions go in a similiar direction, lets say lvl 3 noble fighter and lvl 3 common fighter cross blades in Cerilia, both are of equal skill, what happens?

p.s. @Diagas: and :p
Hm. I can make Malena have D12 hit dice pool which would bump her HP up alot. But I need to get my feats up that do that. As for assassinating, first gotta find them, second, gotta sneak past their guards. Etc.

Honestly, if you try fighting Malena when she is above level 8... well the fight should be in her favor. But below that level, most physical DPS is overwhelming stronk in 5E. To balance out the differences of strength I guess and to make fighters feel less useful later on in campaigns. I think paladins are the most OP just due to their natural abilities. Seriously, that aura that gives them +CHA modifier to all saving throws just because :/? Level 6 sure, but damn does a pally get stupid stronk.

OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

@Mists of the North: Hm. How much leeway do I have with interacting with NPCs? I'm trying to keep all actions I do as... attempted by Malena and not "This happened" sort of thing.
So long as it's only a minor thing, you have leeway to do stuff. Like for instance, by this point, the three NPCs are agreeable with sexual commands from Malena, so she can assume that they'll go along with most things unless they become fairly extreme.

---

@Sylvie: The windmill operates by magic. It's sort've the thing that witches do.

---

@Pervy's Brithright questions:

Some folks DO want to assassinate people for their blood powers, but an unblooded person who kills a dude with blood powers would then get a minor or tainted bloodline, which doesn't give amazing powers per se. Then unless they want to go along finding nobles here there and everywhere, and killing them with a precise stab through the heart (crossbows from 200m no good), then it's going to be a lot of dangerous work for not as much visible immediate gains. Nobles TEND to be well guarded. And those nobles who go adventuring to develop their skills are not easy prey by any means.

The best Noble killers tend to be those tainted by the blood of Azrai already - the awnshengh - the most infamous of which is the Gorgon. But there's also a bunch of others like the Spider, the Serpent, the Magian, the Sphinx, the White Witch, and funnily enough the Kraken (although this one is a bit different in its origin and purpose.)

Draining powers through sex would discourage me from actually using it on PCs. I'd prefer using it to corrupt and enthrall people.

Godly blood essentially grants extra powers, which are random but useful. Like Malena's blood powers let her detect lies more easily and shapeshift into a wolf. The stronger your blood, the more of these powers you get. They don't translate directly into the noble being unkillable.

An unblooded lvl 3 fighter vs a blooded lvl 3 fighter would probably be mostly even. The greater the number of bloodline abilities, the more options the blooded character will have, and that might give them an edge.

Most everyone in Cerilia knows the tale of the Battle of Mount Deismaar, where the gods of good sacrificed themselves to prevent the god of evil, Azrai, from having complete sway over the world. On that day, the greatest champions of good and evil squared off against each other while the gods themselves took physical form to battle on the mountain peak. In an explosion that destroyed the mountain, the gods died and their power washed over the remaining survivors, seeping into the blood and empowering the mortals. The greatest champions became the new gods. And the tier beneath them became the True Bloodlines, but even the most basic footman at the battle of Deismaar became kingly that day.

It is commonly known that a person with divine blood can use that divine magic to help a kingdom prosper. Fate smiles upon a land when a blooded ruler bends his or her will to affect change. So unless contested by another blooded noble, temples, guilds, bureaucracies/law keeping forces, and magical sources will flourish under blooded nobles. If an unblooded ruler takes the lead, it's random, or due to good old fashioned hard work - BUT if they were up against a contesting blooded character, fate would usually turn against them.

It's for this reason that literally everywhere, only blooded nobles occupy the positions of power. And there are rites for peacefully transferring blood abilities to people who show merit (although nepotism rears its head all the time in reality).

So a common perception in Cerilia would be: Yes, there's no denying the gods are real... the last Anuiran Emperor was literally a brother to the New God, Haelyn.

There's also no denying that blooded nobles have an ability to make their civilization prosper more easily than a non-blooded. So birthright has a visible effect.

BUT, their are dickish, self-serving nobles who choose to empower only themselves with their regency powers, rather than giving back to the people. An evil ruler can, rather than putting their abilities into the land to develop a country, instead absorb that power and slowly increase their blood abilities over time. A cynical unblooded might say that the nobles are so selfish, that all they do is squabble over lands, forcing people to fight and die for them, so that they can get more money or more pretty blood powers.

TL;DR - Rovana is welcome to still dislike nobles, but she can't deny that a good noble with the right blood is the best person to serve the people, so long as they remember that they're meant to serve their people.

Rovana could gank a noble easy, they're not Jedi.

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Birthright lore aside, gonna let Esvele get a say in, feel like Sylvie has taken the say often enough, suspicious of witchcraft as she is.

the Kraken
*Rovana narrows eyes*

So basically its more thematic/character building inspired, could even be quite similiar to what I use Rovanas feat for, a thematic edge in marine combat, that could develope into something greater the more your bloodline blossoms or gets empowered.

It's for this reason that literally everywhere, only blooded nobles occupy the positions of power.
I see, I think this would justify Rovanas dislike of nobles, as she feels you have to be one to be special. *nodnod*

So a common perception in Cerilia would be: Yes, there's no denying the gods are real
Rovana is not an Atheist or an agnostic, more of the kind to praise whatever deity is most convenient at the time, though at this point she might be vunerable to an Eladrin/Azati/whatever you call CG outsiders in 5.0 and Ravenloft, propably non existant.. missionaring. :p

A cynical unblooded might say that the nobles are so selfish, that all they do is squabble over lands, forcing people to fight and die for them, so that they can get more money or more pretty blood powers.
's how Rovana sees them, perhaps not that extremly but for the most part, same in effect, for deities, who someone in this world could be excused for viewing as simply 'greater nobles'

Perhaps in part she even -wants- to believe in, or -be- a good noble, but hasn't had an opportunity to. :p

Unrelatedly, On that map, the seas are not charted as conquerable areas. Rovana disapproves! :p

Last edited:
OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Another thing about birthright is that there are relatively few true magic-users. Only elves or blooded humans (scions) can be wizards. There are probably around 150 true magic users in the continent.

There is a Magician class, which is available to everyone, but they can only take Divination and Illusion spells for 3rd level or higher. Other magic schools they can only get a max of level 2 spells in.

Warlocks and Sorcerers are extremely rare. Malena is probably one out of... maybe 12 people on the entire continent who is a sorcerer.

Warlocks would probably be even less than that.

Clerics and Druids are the more common casters, because there's an active interest in the Gods, and competition between the temples is high. Temples tend to be a way for the common person to rise up in rank and power - however the top temple positions go to scions as well.

~~~~

Malena is going to have a ceremony when she becomes a regent and gain an HP bonus as well. This plus the blood abilities is the advantage of being a scion.

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I can sense a certain communistic uprising vibe from birthright. :p

That said, whats it with all my characers doing goodly snappings nowadays... Rovana was intented to be all silly yo ho yo ho.. oh well, she will still do a small rebound afterwards, exspecially if it fails. ^^

Who here ships Doru/Mad mage Yaoi later on? .. only me? :p

Last edited:
OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I can sense a certain communistic uprising vibe from birthright. :p
People can play it that way if they want, but it misses the point imo.

That said, whats it with all my characers doing goodly snappings nowadays... Rovana was intented to be all silly yo ho yo ho.. oh well, she will still do a small rebound afterwards, exspecially if it fails. ^^

Who here ships Doru/Mad mage Yaoi later on? .. only me? :p
Chances of that ship are slim. But I'm sure if you want to fan fic it, you can.

Also, of pretty much now, I'm back to my busy schedule.

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

People can play it that way if they want, but it misses the point imo.
*chuckles slightly* It just what came to my mind, obviously the setting is ment to be moar game of thronesy with less moral grey areas, but it does take the commoner in a world of adventurer ideas to its extremes.

Boo for the schedule!

OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

My response there was based on the idea that Rovana would be aware that he could have defended himself from her maneuver, but if she chose to not strike immediately or struggle to actually have her blade at his throat instead of being warded away by his mage armor, then his spell to move away would occur earlier, cutting off most of her speech.

I'm assuming that she mentions the elf she's looking for at some point, and that is why he'll direct her.

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Rovana is threatening, not striking, she has no reason to attack him.. else she wouldn't have stopped the fight in the first place. ^^

OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Yes, but getting behind him in a position where she could say "remember I could have killed you today" is difficult when your opponent is actively ready for your attack and is capable of defending himself (blinking away).

So it breaks up her intended action a little bit. He's not the type to suffer being at someone's supposed mercy when he's capable of not being so easily threatened.

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

How exactly does he teleport 200 ft away?

OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

What he did was within the bounds of the rules. Not doing GM handwaiving here.