What's new

To Find a Way Home (Mamono Assault Force)

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Re: To Find a Way Home (Mamono Assault Force)

Bakan: HP = 102/120, PP = 45/45, EP = 65/85, Status = Fine

NPC Stats
Samarta: HP = 54, PP = 67, EP = 67, Status = Fine, Pregnant
Inka: HP = 51, PP = 61, EP = 44, Status = Fine
Rebecca: A coon. A fluffy fluffy coon.
Orgrosh: HP = 68/97, PP = 25/49, EP = 72, Fine
Sarah: Fine

Janne: Fine
Savannah: Fine
Estrelle: Fine

Bakan interrupted the perverse advance of the three faeries by standing up, and grabbing Janne, and pulling down onto the bed in a tight hug. The busty woman squirmed uncomfortably in his grasp for a moment before feeling his tears on her shoulder, at which point Janne stiffened and sighed. "Can you two wait outside? I'll arrange for your payment later," she said, and the two, extremely confused, would eventually nod and leave the room, going much more quietly than Orgrosh had.

Craddling his head and stroking his hair gently as he cried against her, Janne very simply said, "Bakan.... What happened?"

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

It took Bakan a moment to reply. Where was any good place to start? He wondered if he should even go into full detail. He didn't want to trouble her with his problems, problems that were a result of his own faults. Still... He could hardly take it anymore. Weakness was another fault of his, a fool to think his muscle could shield a weak heart. Then, Bakan spilled his heart out. The mistake he made with Cory, the news that she was passing through dangerous territory, and his massive reward promised for her rescue. He couldn't get the thought of Cory meeting an ill fate out of his mind. It was torturing him every second, and he told Janne as much. "I sent her away... She came down, through dangerous lands. The news has driven me mad with panic since. I can't stop thinking of it, I can't stop having nightmares of it. I keep thinking... I killed Cory. I let her be captured. I'm responsible for her being raped. It's my fault. I promised so much so foolishly. Each promise I make I cannot keep. People I hold dear meet unfortunate fates because I don't stop it. I saw Cory raped in front of me, saw the light fade from her eyes as what made Cory herself was stolen by a slime creature... I went mad. I keep going mad. My wings change color to black. I lose myself. I can't feel anything else other than despair, hatred, and rage. I-I killed an alraune who surrendered in cold blood." Bakan announced as he had many times. Despite her revival, Bakan was still in total shock that he was capable of such a thing. If Janne was looking, his face was of pure fear.

"I-I offered everything. Everything I had. The people that said they could find her. I offered everything in hopes that my offer would be the highest. I made those other requests, those who were missing, I made them probably delayed. What if someone isn't found because of me!?" Bakan continued, reaching a point of madness. His wings were indeed turning black once more, as Jane would see. The guilt didn't seem to have an end, indeed, Bakan had so many more things to blame himself for, in present and past. The people he let down, the wives and daughters he couldn't save. The mother and father of their beloved, broken daughter blamed Bakan for his incompetence. That was his first failure. So many failures followed. He couldn't cope. He couldn't endure the shame and guilt. He still can't. He promised. He filled them with hope. Then he returned to crush it.

Telling Janne all this, he revealed his greatest fear. "I'm terrified, Janne! If karma is real, then I don't... I don't want to know! I don't want to know the truth about Cory's safety! I was the one who brought bad news to those people, during the invasion. I don't want to hear the same news I gave, given back to me about Cory! I don't know what I'll do. I've never been so emotionally close to someone in so long... The thought of losing her makes me feel like a part of me is dying. The sight of her being hurt made me lose all reason!" He declared, before thinking to Orgrosh. "And of Orgrosh... She wouldn't hear me out. I wasn't strong enough, yet again, to make her listen! I couldn't convince her! I don't want to fight against her. She helped me, she's someone I relied on so heavily, just like you, just like Cory, just like Ashloriel... Everyone..." Bakan sighed with depression.

"She said she wanted to have my children... I thought I could do it. I had been meaning too ever since feeling like she was someone I cared for. I just... Because I don't agree with the orcs... I would defend against them. I don't believe as they do. Mages shouldn't be slaughtered. No one should be, unless they're truly evil. And that... Puts Orgrosh and I on opposite sides..." He swallowed a lump in his throat. "I thought... I thought that if I could convince her... Then I wouldn't have to worry about that. She could convince her people to leave it be, or at the very least her tribe. But most of all.. I don't want to fight her. I don't want to hurt her, and never kill her! But I can't stop her... Worse yet, I ran from her... I called upon you because I knew I was going to lose... I wasn't afraid for my own sake... I didn't want to be apart from her, or any children we have... I want to raise my children, help them to become smart, and strong... If Orgrosh had won, no doubt she would leave eventually for her people, and take our children with her. Not being able to raise them indeed bothers me, but... I don't want to raise children together, and end up crossing blades with the mother!"

His outcry lasted until he just about ran out of voice near the end. At this point, all he could do was murmur out further words of despair and self-loathing. "I care for Orgrosh, as a comrade, as a friend, like family... And look at what I did... I insulted her because I didn't want to endure the consequences of loss... I wanted to win so badly... If all she gave me was that nod, that we'd always be on the same side together... I'd be so happy..." He shook his head. No, she was likely already packing her things in preparation to leave him. He insulted her, no apology would change that, nor begging. It'd only make him out to be even more pathetic. "I'm sorry, Janne... If only I were more like you, then perhaps I'd be so much less foolish..."

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

NPC Stats

The expression on Janne's face would remain entirely comforting while Bakan spilled out all of the things that had happened to him to cause his distress. She stroked his hair comfortingly the entire time while holding him to her breast, and would occasionally interrupt only to ask questions, "you sent... Cory away? How?"

After he answered, or even if he didn't, she would fall silent again and listen some more. "Did you stop it?" she asked when he spoke of watching Cory be raped by a slime.

Then, when he spoke of offering everything, she seemed confused. "Everything.... You mean all of your money? Or... Well, you can't have done any harm just with that!" she said as reassuringly as possible, "what will happen, will happen... Just because you offered a reward, doesn't mean that someone else won't get found. That doesn't make any sense!"

Janne would fall silent again, leaving Bakan to ruminate some more over Cory, saying that he didn't even wish to know her fate, at which the nymph offered to no response besides a comforting squeeze. When he started talking about Orgrosh, however, she would speak again, "convince her? Convince her of what?" Bakan would answer that question all on his own, and without need for further prompting, and when he announced that he had been planning on seeding the redheaded orc with his children even before she had asked for it Janne couldn't help but blurt out incredulously; "you planned on what, exactly!?"

The nymph was more confused than anything else in that moment, but she quickly resumed her various comforting gestures as Bakan went on. She would wince slightly when he admitted to calling on her when he seemed about to lose to Orgrosh, but otherwise wouldn't make any obvious reactions for him to latch on to as he finished his tale of woe. Silence would reign for a few moments, Janne still gently stroking Bakan's hair, before she would quietly and regretfully say, "Bakan... You really have acted like such a fool."

Leaning back a bit and angling his head up so that he could look up at her, Janne continued; "Firstly.... You betrayed the trust and honor of one you consider a friend by calling me here, deliberately voiding a challenge. That was wrong, and it was foolish.... And I don't even know how you can fix it with her. Orcs don't tolerate that kind of thing easily, and at the very least I doubt you'll be seeing her in your bed any time soon. Challenging her again won't work, she'll just refuse, and apologies don't really mean anything to orcs when they're just words.

"Secondly.... You asked Orgrosh, an orc honored knight, to abandon her people and her beliefs because you said so. That is... So monumentally stupid that I can't justify sugarcoating it for you. You'd sooner get Ashloriel to take up work in a brothel, and given how little you seem to understand about them, I can't say I'm surprised about how this turned out. Honestly.... The best thing you could have done, would have simply been to refuse her. You don't owe her sex for any reason, and it's not like she needed it, she just considered you a worthy cum donor so that she could get pregnant. So... You did it because you wanted to have sex with her, even though it could only have caused issues when Cory got back. Do you... Not understand that? Or did you just not care?"

Shaking her head, Janne continued before Bakan could answer; "You have made a series of terrible decisions for reasons... That make no sense. You think, as so many human men do, that thrusting into a woman gives you say in what might come of it. In your culture, that might be expected... But your culture isn't the only one in the world, Bakan. Were I not infertile, I would have had several daughters by you, and you would never have met them unless you came to my glade again, and even then they would never recognize you as their father in the way that you envision it. It would have been much the same if you had sired a child on Orgrosh. You... You don't sound like you want friends, to be honest. Friends, despite their disagreements, can work together, they can compromise. No one will ever agree with you one hundred percent of the time, and you... Well, you really sound more like... You were trying to bend her to your will completely. I understand that, if the orcs invaded Badaria, you wouldn't want to have to fight the mother of your children... But maybe, instead of trying to get her to abandon everything she held dear, you maybe should have just refused to have sex with her?"

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

As Bakan listened, his head was held low. Shame, and astonishment at his own ignorance. Though one part made him react with shock. "A... A cum donor!?" Bakan replied, absolutely blown away. Was that truly it? The only reason? "Doesn't... Doesn't that mean that anyone who's strong would do? I didn't... I..." Bakan went quiet at that. He truly had no idea. He thought there was something more to it. Rather, he had a hard time believing it. Being told that she won't be in his bed anytime soon wasn't something that sounded bad, or shocking. Deep down, he was slightly thankful he didn't have sex with her that night, if such were Orgrosh's reasons alone. But still... The way Janne put it wasn't right at all. Bending people to his will? That sounded like he was trying to be a tyrant, and... Well, in the case of Orgrosh, it may very well have been true. He didn't know how different she truly was. If he hadn't been so ignorant, he indeed would have just refused sex. It was only because he thought Orgrosh had more reason than that... Or maybe that their thoughts and desires were remotely similar...

"Is it really me trying to bend someone to my will when I don't want them to kill me? Or wage war? Or slaughter people who practice magic purely because it's the way of the people who raised you? Why does that make me the bad person?" Bakan inquired, having calmed down a bit. "Orgrosh will leave, either now, or eventually. She'll return to her people. According to her, they will march south, and conquer these lands. It's not all made with bad intentions, I realize that, but it's doing exactly what you're accusing me of. Not only that, but the orcs will also indiscriminately slaughter all mages who are not members of the court. What compromise can be reached? Orgrosh will return, and if I'm housing a Mage who I trust to be a good person, then what? What will happen, Janne!? Can we reach a compromise!? I asked Orgrosh about this, and she did not answer me! If everything you said is true, then she'd no doubt cut me down or perhaps overpower me just to climb over me and murder the people I protect! I can respect the traditions of my friends, up a damn point, Janne! I'm not a tyrant for trying to prevent murder! Why am I seen as much!?" he questioned.

"I know I've been a fool, and all I can say is that I've tried, which is pathetic, but I'm trying! Who else is trying!? They're just ignoring everything and clinging to their own ways, killing those who disagree! Badarians, Orcs, whoever! Orgrosh said that communities who do not resist will be left alone, who the hell is NOT going to react negatively to an orc invasion!? Good people will be slaughtered over this... FUCKING STUPIDITY!" Bakan growled. "I'm stupid, and even I can tell how stupid that plan is! I don't want to kill Orgrosh, or any orcs! I don't want to hurt her tribe, her family! If that makes me a tyrant, then so be it! I'm a tyrant! Peace is my tyranny! I want everyone to get along and not do stupid things, and wage stupid wars, and roll over innocent people because it's convenient! I don't think the world should act that way, but since my opinion isn't shared, I really am the fool for even trying to convince anyone otherwise!"

"I want peace, in this world... I promised my father I'd acquire the power to do just that. I believe the orcs are on the right track, as least as far as Orgrosh has said. I respect that. I respect their attempts at peace, and the members of humanity that refused them are obviously in the wrong! But the orcs plan after that... Is just completely disregarding everything." Bakan said, letting out a sigh of frustration. Perhaps all that would work itself out. Maybe. Bakan had to wonder about that though. "I thought Cory was in danger, so I tried to summon Ashloriel..." he said, before going over who appeared instead, and how he took Cory and Rhep away. "... I was stupid, and selfish... I was so concerned about them, while completely overlooking how they felt about me. I caused them the woe I myself wanted to avoid. Now they journey through dangerous lands to come here. I honestly don't know what to think of Orgrosh at this point. She's done much for me... But I completely misunderstood her. I mean... She went as far as to wear a dress, removing her weapons and armor. Just to... Use me as a cum donor? That still doesn't make any sense to me..." he said, frustrated.

"As for betraying Orgrosh's honor... I know it was a mistake. I know there's nothing I can do but await her final decision on the matter, which is assured to be bad. But... In that moment, when I was about to lose... Honestly, now I face the risk of losing Orgrosh, and possibly needing to fight her in the future. If I had let her win... Then I would need to face the fear of killing my own children. I'm sorry, Janne, but I value children. I always will. They're not just a thing I disregard and count as not important. I'd want to know them, see them, know how they're doing, if they're happy. That'd be enough for me. I could easily watch from the sidelines and be content, unless they were in danger. You and Orgrosh seem to think I want to own everything and control everything. Take away free will. You're both wrong. I want to protect, that's all..." he sighed, before explaining himself further. "At the time, I thought refusing would also insult Orgrosh. I felt caught between a rock and a hard place. I also thought she had more reason to do what she did. If all she did was ask for sex, I'd of course said no... She took off her armor, took off her weapons... After doing all that, I felt I had no choice but to accept her. And as far as doing that and making Cory angry..."

He looked flatly at Janne. "As long as you exist, any relationship I have will never be normal..."

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

NPC Stats

"Well... In a manner of speaking, yes," Janne replied somewhat hesitantly, "orcs don't.... Well, they do things very differently to humans, or to faeries. Orcs, particularly warriors, don't court, or flirt, or bother with most of the relationship parts. Those are forged in battle for them, and when two are attracted to each other they just... Well, they just do the deed when they get the chance. Sometimes, it can even be a challenge between them, since a lot of orc tribes consider sex to be a different version of combat even though very few of them are naturally succubi. Their mating is a lot more primal, more based on necessity than anything you or I would do, since they need to keep up their numbers, and its been that way.... Well, pretty much since the beginning, really. So, in the most basic sense, an orc female's sexual partners are just cum donors, even if there are a lot of social expectations attached to the idea." Though she spoke fairly frankly, Janne's tone might have suggested that she didn't think terribly much of the way that orcs conducted their relationships either.

Though Bakan had calmed somewhat, what he said didn't seem to make Janne any less frustrated with him, even though she maintained a patient air. "Bakan.... Orcs don't slaughter mages," Janne stated somewhat flatly, "firstly, they only dislike mortal mages... Or I guess non-faerie ones, since they don't think much of demons to begin with. Secondly, they wouldn't necessarily kill them unless they tried to fight, which I know a lot of them would if the orcs invaded, but.... Well, it's really a pretty terrible reason, but at that point it's war. Whether or not the orcs are justified in their war on humans isn't something I really have an opinion on, though I do think their timing is terrible with the invaders still here, spreading. Anyway, the point is... You're really not right in thinking that they'd just slaughter mages indiscriminately. They wouldn't allow them to practice magic any longer save for the healers, but other than that they'd be left alone so long as they didn't cause any trouble. Considering how mages of any race are treated in Badaria anyway, a good number of them might see that as an improvement."

Her frustration mounted, but she maintained her patience as she sighed and then went on, "your intentions might, on the surface, be exactly what you say. But the way you went about them.... Bakan, you really can't make someone think like you about a thing with a reasoned argument, you know that don't you? Orgrosh probably feels as passionately about the cause of your people as you do about anything that you believe in. Could I possibly say anything to convince you to change your mind about, for example, wanting to protect children? I would hope not, and you probably couldn't convince Orgrosh any better than I could convince you that her way is better, or my way. Like I said, her reasons for wanting to sleep with you are more complex than I can really explain, as I'm not an expert on the orcs and their ways.... Maybe you should ask Ashloriel about them, if you want a clearer picture. But, regardless, you basically tried to tell her that your way was right, and that hers was wrong.... And then, when you had to back it up by your actions, and were losing, you chickened out and invalidated the challenge. You might have had a good reason to do it, but it wasn't something that I think you handled very well.

"Whether you like it or not, you kinda did try to take control of her... And that's really not what a friend should try to do. Friends compromise. She went out of her way to try and make you comfortable, putting aside her favored tools, the symbols of who she is, but then you tried to make her bend in ways that are a lot harder for a person to do, and refused to bend any yourself besides... Well, forgive me for being crass about it, but the part where you got laid. Now, I only know what you've told me, but that's what I got from what you told me."

Though she had been serious up until that point, Bakan's flat look and the comment about relationships drew a grin from Janne, and in response she rolled her eyes and said; "Hey, I've never MADE you summon me! It's always your choice when you call~ Maybe you just can't get enough?" Shrugging, she continued, "anyway.... About Cory and Rhep, I can try to figure out how they're doing if you want. Scrying isn't exactly my best talent, but I know how to do it. I, ahhhh, will deftly avoid commenting or asking any further about why and how they got sent away, for right now."

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Janne's thoughts came closer to home when she mentioned to him that no reasoned argument would change Orgrosh's mind, and silenced him until she was finished. "... It's embarrassing to say now, but at the time... I did kinda think that just talking to Orgrosh would make her change her mind, maybe just a little..." he sighed, disappointed mostly in himself. "I just didn't think of her as just an Orc... I thought of her as a person who could be reasoned with... Well, that's how I treat most people in all honesty. Race doesn't really matter to me all that much. In the end, it's who you are on the inside that counts, I think." Bakan said. "... Though, I guess I'm wrong... I should have considered Orgrosh as an orc, and I didn't." And such was the truth. Bakan always greeted new people by giving them a clean slate, no matter who they are. It's that line of thinking that allowed him to meet with Rebecca, even giving a raccoon a chance. Sure, always thinking back on situations like that, it made Bakan feel very stupid, and since he was being called on such, it did make him stupid. But, in his heart, he can't change that part of him. Though, the difference between him and Orgrosh was that he decided to be that way, instead of letting an outside force decide it for him. Her way is that of culture, and his was that of the heart. It might be arrogant to say, but Bakan held the heart in greater light than culture, as if he listened to culture, surely he'd be part of the reason the orcs dislike Badarian humans.

"I'm not a Badarian." Bakan announced. "Did I ever tell you, Janne, that I'm not from this world? What's funny is that I only just learned of that fact myself not long ago. I'm sorta like those aliens, I suppose. When I was young, I went through a portal. I thought it just took me to a different place, but it took me from my world to here... When I think about it like that... I don't have any place telling people what to do or how to live, do I? I guess what would be most respectful is to turn a blind eye to the things that bother me... Ignore what I heard about the orc invasion, ignore the rape of villages and the destruction of homes... If what you're saying is true, then I should just ignore all of it... Because what place do I have interfering with the lives of people in this world? Despite saying that... I feel that if I just allow all the bad things around me to happen, like the Lady of that Tower turning those villagers into her slaves, then I'll lose what makes me... Well, me. It makes me feel empty inside. I feel like my only reason to live is to help people. I've felt that way my entire life. If I give that up, or ignore that duty, then I feel like I've lost my only reason to exist."

Bakan sighed. "I've lost Orgrosh... I'm fairly certain of that. I wish my apology mattered to her, but... That wouldn't matter to an orc... Huh." he said with a depressed tone. "Funny... Feeling like I have no choice but to fight and kill Orgrosh's people... Gives me this odd feeling in my chest that's like... My heart stops beating. I lose if I fight against her, I lose if I don't... Yet I have to go against what Orgrosh believes in. I don't have any other choice. It's not like her, as she does it only for the sake of her people's beliefs and tradition. It's because of those beliefs that I have to stand against her, and feel compelled to change the way she thinks. Tis no simple matter I can overlook, it just isn't. I wish, so hard, that it didn't have to be this way. I wish we didn't have to fight. I'd have gladly accepted my loss to Orgrosh on anything but this."

Then, the bit where Janne claimed that he tried to control her came to be. Bakan felt infuriated. "Whether I like it or not, Janne!? My friend just told me they have every intention of leading a pointless war, and continuing her ways of slaughtering mages, sparing them on conditions that you'd be even a greater fucking fool than I to expect!!! If they don't fight back!? If they stop practicing their magic!? That's like asking me to put down my hammer! It's stupid! Idiotic! Pointless! That's not a condition, that's a FUCKING JOKE!" Bakan shouted, but then began to cough as his voice got too loud for his throat to handle. It felt like divine punishment for letting his emotions get out of control again, as evident by the raging fiery color of his wings that he saw as he laid on the bed. Frustrated anger. "There can be no compromise with a murderer... When you've decided to kill, the time for talk has passed. In Orgrosh's case... It seems that her intent to kill had already been determined. I was just too stupid to see it. And I'm sorry, Janne. I don't know what compromise you think could have been made, but I can't see one. The problems I have with... Everything... Are far too much. What did you honestly expect? Orgrosh will let me take care of the kids while she slaughters some mages? Orgrosh will spare me and my friends and go burn down another village instead because they resisted? What kind of fucking..." Bakan bit his tongue, and clenched his fist. He was only getting worked up, and he was certain that his words held no weight to Janne.

"I'm sick of it. I'm getting so sick of everything. This whole world!" Bakan growled, putting both hands to his face as he felt a familiar sensation. His wings turning black slowly before her eyes, like corruption slowly taking over. "What's the point in even trying!? Damned if I do, damned if I don't! I'm sick of being powerless, I'm sick of being told to step back and let the bad things in the world just happen!" Then, he looked at Janne, his eyes looked like a black ooze was seeking to overtake the color of his iris. "I'm starting... To get to the point..." He spoke through gritted teeth. "Where I stop caring..."

Though he said that, Bakan closed his eyes, and shivered beneath Janne. The black receded, and his wings were white once more. "... But I'm not at that point yet." He said, opening his eyes to show that he was back to normal, having calmed himself. "I'm ready to keel over and die rather than submit to madness. It's just been failure after failure after failure. It's all been my fault every single time. There's no point in me existing if I cannot protect those important to me, and since I've been so incapable thus far, I'm about ready to die. The judgement be, Cory's fate. I'm actually ready now. I'm ready to hear of her fate, for good or worse." He announced.

"Please, tell me how they're doing."

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

NPC Stats

By the time they came to the end of it, Janne was growing increasingly exasperated with Bakan. Even so, she nodded when he said he was ready to find out the fate of Cory and Rhep definitively, sliding off of the bed and going over to the small table in the corner of the room. "You can put some pants on," she said simply while moving the table so that he could sit on the other side of it, and then she plopped down in a chair on one side of the table and directed him to sit on the other.

Once Bakan was seated, with or without pants, Janne would work a bit of magic, humming softly, and after a few moments an image would appear in front of her. The nymph's eyes were closed, and she hummed in tune as if in concentration, but from what little Bakan would know of magic, he would at least be able to feel the connection forming via her sorcery. It was a thread not much different from the ones he used to call faeries for help, a natural connection instilled into him by Ashloriel, but rather than make contact with the figures in the image it was used merely to view them.

Cory sat on a wooden log, in front of a softly burning fire, with an expression equal parts tired and wary. She sat in a dark place, beneath the stars no doubt, and looked into the dancing flames that were the sole ward against the cold and dark of what must be a night in the famed Pass of Ghosts besides the moon and stars above. Rhep was partially visible, lying in a primitive wooden shelter that would keep any snow that might be added to the thin layer of it coating the ground from falling directly upon them as they slept. She looked tired, maybe a little thinner than when Bakan had last seen her, but otherwise alright. Her stomach, though hidden beneath her leather clothes and the dark furs she had acquired to go over it and ward her from the cold, was slightly distended, though not by much just yet.

"She looks fine~" Janne sang softly, and then returned to her humming to upkeep the magic for as long as Bakan wished to look down upon his displaced lover and her sleeping goblin companion. Eventually, if Bakan watched for long enough, Cory would rise, throw a few more logs into the fire, and then remove her cloak and outer furs to climb beneath the shelter with Rhep to go to sleep. The goblin would immediately cuddle up against the half demon, displaying none of the rivalry or ill will that had existed between them previously.

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Putting his pants on, Bakan sat in front of Janne. Seeing the image, Bakan would stare at it for as long as Janne left it up. Watching Cory, and the urge to try and reach out to her growing ever stronger, Bakan's worry and stress were replaced with relief and guilt. She was fine, or so it seemed. "The Pass of Ghosts... So she hasn't passed through it yet." he said, worry showing its' ugly head again. She wasn't out of danger. She didn't make it through yet. He wanted so badly to charge north, into the Pass of Ghosts to try and find her. He grit his teeth. There was a strong chance that they wouldn't meet each other. They could pass right by one another, only a vague difference in location and direction. Then, Bakan would be lost, end up wondering aimlessly, and Cory would arrive in the city to find Bakan had gone north looking for her. He wasn't good at tracking. He wasn't sure he could find and follow their tracks. What would be a good decision? Just sit and wait? The Pass of Ghosts was dangerous, and no matter how much he didn't want to hear it, Orgrosh was right about that. Bakan figured that was where the Winter Court was, or at least near it. The Court that Ashloriel seemed to want him to have as little as possible involvement with, though he was never sure why. If the Pass of Ghosts was so dangerous, he could only wonder what that said about the Winter Court. Though, the likelihood that he was just being paranoid was there too. Fae... Well, normal Fae, are supposed to be good. That's what Bakan assumed. It helped his heart to give them the benefit of the doubt.

"Rhep..." Bakan whined like a worried mother. "You look like you haven't eaten a decent meal... And it looks so cold! Damn it! I want to be there so badly!" Bakan declared. "But even if I was, I wonder what good I'd be? My main solution to protecting them ended up with them going through this. They likely wouldn't even want my help..." he sighed with despair. "But, still... I just... I want to do something... I feel like I have to do something. But do I bite my fingers and wait?" Bakan looked to Cory as she crawled into the bed with Rhep. "Cory... What should I do? I... I believe in you. More than ever. You're going through all this while I sit here, whine, and continue to mess up... You're the reason we defeated that Demon Lady. You helped me far more than I ever helped you. I swear, Cory... If you make it back, I'll listen to every word you have to say, and suffer all the punishment you have to give." Bakan said, his hands together, and fingers locked as if in prayer. "I need you... The proof of how much I need you is in how I messed up the moment you were away. You're... You're like my brain. Heh... Hehe..." he chuckled sadly. "I've always been clueless, ignorant... I've been rude to people when I never meant to be. I've let people down because I'm so stupid... But with you... You had my back... You were protecting me while I was idiotic enough to think I was the one protecting 'you'..."

"I'm sorry..."

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

NPC Stats

Janne, seeing his gritted teeth after his comment about the location of Cory and Rhep and seemingly reading his thoughts, would say; "You'd never find them out there. The Pass of Ghosts is huge, its visibility is poor, and there aren't really any roads to follow, just paths carved by the Badarians trying to invade Crolia." She wouldn't speak to interrupt him while he made his worries known, really only speaking to Janne since Cory couldn't hear him through the spell, and she would maintain the spell for him to make his prayer, watching Cory go to bed and eventually to sleep. Janne would maintain the image for about an hour, watching Cory and Rhep rest as their camp fire slowly burned itself out, before dispelling the image, exhausted.

"Practicing what you're going to say when she gets here, are you?" the sorceress said blithely, wiping sweat from her brow. Despite her tiredness from having maintained the ritual longer than it normally should have, Janne was still grinning confidently. "There, now that you know she's nearby and as safe as can be expected, think you can sleep soundly? At least for a few nights?"

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Bakan leaned back in his chair once the image faded. "You're right... I just have to keep telling myself that over and over to keep myself from just sprinting out there." he revealed. "I'm glad to see that she's still moving. Though, I doubt there's any way to practice for when she returns. My only plan so far is to throw myself at her feet so as to best allow her to curb stomp my head into the ground. Spirits know I deserve that and more at this point. Still, I do feel a lot better... Though, what about you?" Bakan inquired, looking at Janne. "Like always, I pull you away on selfish whims... You only ever seem to want sex after the fact. You never ask for anything else. Why is that?" Bakan inquired curiously. She never even asked him to help with her gardening or paint her house. Sex seemed to be all she wanted. To him, it was a bit odd, even if he could chalk it up to Janne being perverted. He wondered if she truly didn't have something else she could want from him.

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

NPC Stats

"I guess throwing yourself at her feet works," Janne said brightly, but then quirked an eyebrow at his query. "Why? Because sex is fun, dummy!" she replied simply, reaching out and flicking Bakan's nose. "It's not like it's hard to get you to do other things if I want you to anyway," she continued, "you do housework all on your own. If it weren't such a fuss to get your pants off, I'd have been tempted to keep you~"

Standing up, Janne stretched for a moment, putting her busty figure on display, and then half turned away. "Speaking of, I have to go make sure my colleagues are getting along alright," she added with a slightly weary note in her voice, "they're owed dick, and I've gotta go wingwoman for them to make sure they get some. Maybe try and get some myself too~ Consider your contractual debt basically repaid... But you owe me personally now!" With that, Janne would blow Bakan a kiss before turning and heading for the door, leaving unless Bakan stopped her.

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

"Sex is... Well, but-!" Bakan began before his nose was flicked, causing him to let out a noise in response to the sudden attack. Her following comments made him a little grumpy. "If it's such a fuss to do perverted things with me, then why am I perverted..." he grumbled, before he took note of Janne's future plans. "Wait... Janne, we're in kind of a bad city right now... If I'm no good, then maybe you should relocate back to the glade? Or I could summon my Gruff friends... I just don't want to see you get in trouble in this place. We came in here with rocks being thrown at us, after all."

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

NPC Stats

"Oh, wow, rocks? Really? That must have sucked!" Janne said sympathetically, but then smirked and rolled her eyes at his concerns. "Correct me if I'm wrong, but.... You showed up in town with wings on your back, followed by a naga and an alraune, right? Plus whatever other outlandish characters you've picked up since last I saw you. Not exactly inconspicuous, and in Badaria liable to get you into a bit of trouble. As far as anyone downstairs can tell at a glance, my three friends and I would be two humans and a night elf, and even if the latter is a bit odd they'd still be human enough to get an adventurous drunk into bed~ Savannah and I won't have any trouble at the very least, and we all get plenty of opportunities to have fun with the gruffs!"

She seemed quite sure of herself, and unless Bakan became extremely insistent she would see herself out, leaving him alone in his room at last.

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Bakan leaned back at her encouragement, letting out a sigh of resignation. "Alright," he agreed. "Funny... This will be the first night in a while that I spent my time sleeping alone. The thought is... Strange. I don't know how to describe it." He said, pondering on the way he felt about it. Neither good nor bad. He was so used to sleeping alone on his travels, why was it so strange now? He shrugged, and decided that his genitals could use a break and a half from all the action he'd seen lately. "Stay safe, Janne... And... Have fun, I guess?" Bakan felt a bit awkward wishing Janne well on her adventure to get laid, first time he'd done something like that to be sure.

When Janne was out of his room, Bakan closed the door, and took a few steps back to fall backwards onto the bed. Once he was like that, he rolled around a bit, humming to himself. Then, he grinned, and stretched his limbs out, growing more used to sleeping alone than he thought he would, and much faster. "Having all this room to myself is kinda nice, actually!" Bakan said with cheer. He wasn't a small man, and was grateful for every inch of space on the bed he had available to him, before and after his encounters with Cory and the rest. The only thing that made his smile vanish was thoughts of Orgrosh... Though with a sigh, Bakan decided that it was best that he let it go. There were ways he could have prevented all that from happening. Getting close to Orgrosh was something he did without thinking, and the most frustrating part is that he can't say he'd have done it any differently if given a second chance. He'd still try to become friends with Orgrosh, and she'd no doubt want his seed. It'd end on a sour note one way or another... So the best solution would have been to refuse her, as Janne had said. Orgrosh's ties with her clan were too strong. Friends for now, assured enemies later, unless a miracle happened.

With a sigh, Bakan wrapped himself up, and closed his eyes. He made plans in his head to occupy himself tomorrow, either by finding work or doing some charity jobs to help those who cannot help themselves. Anything to keep his mind off of stress, really...

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

NPC Stats

"You know that I will~" she said, and then blew him another kiss before departing from Bakan's room. Left to sleep by himself for the first time in a while, though it wasn't the first night that he hadn't had sex, as Samarta hadn't used any energy necessitating that she feed on their journey and neither she nor Inka had approached him for anything other than companionship since they'd left the faerie glade seemingly so long ago. He would sleep alone, and be undisturbed throughout the night to sleep soundly.

In the morning, he would be awakened by a knock on his door a good while after sunrise if he hadn't already gotten up by that point, the people responsible for servicing the room asking if he'd like breakfast delivered to him through the door and if he would be staying another night. Orgrosh and Sarah would be easily located downstairs, the former slightly hung over but treating him courteously while the latter hadn't produced any detectable change in attitude. Inka would wander downstairs a few hours later, wobbling and looking miserable. Alcohol apparently didn't agree with her. Rebecca was on the red alraune's shoulder, balanced precariously on the unsteady plant woman and happy to climb down onto the table.

Samarta would be the last down, and would take a while unless Bakan went up to awaken her. Once he had assembled his companions, gotten through the various greetings that they sent his way, and settled down to get something to eat, Bakan would have had a few minutes to figure out what he wanted to do with his day. Dove had asked to meet with him again, so that they could discuss a task that the man wanted done, allegedly for the greater good, but there was nothing stopping Bakan from blowing the nobleman's requested meeting off and going to do as he liked.

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Bakan wondered, at the knocking at the door, if all the events since arriving at the demon lady's tower had been a dream. The events thus far and of last night left such a taxing on his mind that a full, good rest alone left his body feeling heavy. It felt like just the right conditions for a night of heavy dreams that seemed almost too real. The fog and haze of his thoughts were enough to also help him assume that it really was all a dream. He had woken up in a tavern he decided to stay in during the night, all was well, in a way. He was a lone armored human looking to help those in need, no matter the task require weapon or labor. He wasn't above helping farmers, and found himself often times with rather pushy parents who wanted to force their daughter on him. 'You're a good man! A good man!' they'd say. It was so awkward. Looking to the daughter herself was a mistake half the time, as she just ended up betraying his plea for aid and siding with her pushy parents. He just couldn't afford settling down when he had such objectives in his mind. He still had to meet his brother. Ashloriel somehow knew of his life still burning strong. There was no way he could give up that. The times where women actually desired him were few though, but only to his knowledge. Enough to help him convince himself that he was horribly ugly in a most terrifying way. While in truth, times he spent with women who gave him all the signs an interested man would need were met with Bakan's total ignorance. A sword maiden traveling with him once sat with him by the fire, she smiled at him and asked him if there was something he should be doing in that quiet, intimate moment together. Bakan smiled back, and got her an extra serving of food, giving it to her with a smile.

She frowned and went to sleep, refusing the food and not talking to Bakan much until she finally went her separate way. He didn't have any clue as to why she was upset. Still doesn't, but he knew he did something wrong. Thinking about it now, it was no wonder he'd mess things up with other women too. He put his hands to his face as the room service inquired about his desire for breakfast. He truly hoped that it was all a dream. A bad dream. A bad hangover. Everything became so awkward and confusing and horrible and depressing and terrifying... All seemingly after finding that damn demon lady's tower! What was with that? Bakan truly wondered. For years it was just Bakan, roughing his way through the world and trying to avoid stumbling over his feet, and being lifted up by Ashloriel's hand when he did, his guardian. One thing just led to another after that Tower. Things got progressively more crazy. Certainly... Didn't Cory fall in love with Bakan on day one? With that thought, Bakan stopped to think for a moment. That's odd. Bakan wasn't the best choice around. He knew it. Even if he was good, love so soon was quite something to claim. He could even recall making a lot of mistakes and offending Cory throughout. Still, an even more ludicrous question would be to ask a woman who said she loves you, 'why?' That question would never be asked. Especially not under his current conditions with Cory. The reasons the others followed him as well... When Bakan thought about it a little, it did seem kind of transient. The reasons they had likely weren't strong enough to make them stick around for a very long time. Soon enough, he was sure, they'd leave and go do... What they wanted to do. He wasn't sure what their greater purposes were. Sarah... Samarta... Inka... Those three were a bit of a toss up in his mind. He truly wondered what they wanted out of their futures. Maybe his current situation wouldn't last. Maybe Orgrosh was just the beginning, and soon Bakan was about to travel alone once more?

Bakan sighed, and rose from the bed, donning his pants and answering the door to take his breakfast inside his room to eat so he could continue mulling over his thoughts. It was all just pointless conjecture in all reality. Considering the possibilities without proof that they'd happen would get him nowhere. One way or another, once Cory gets back... Or doesn't... Bakan shudders at the thought... He had to continue his quest to find a gate to reach his brother. That was his original quest, and he had to do it no matter what. Once he held that conviction in his heart, he swallowed all of his woes and stepped forth out from his room, ready to just walk into town, and... Completely forget that he had that meeting with Dove. With everything that happened, it completely slipped his mind. The man's desire for the greater good sounded wonderful, if bizarre. The execution of his idea, or what little Bakan heard of it, was not something he'd ever consider himself. Nor would he ever chalk the idea up to genius. Surely, if it were so simple, someone would have already done it before? Bakan shrugged and finished up his breakfast before going downstairs.

There, he'd find that Orgrosh had apparently left to go get drunk that night. He couldn't blame her in the slightest, though he wasn't much of a drinker himself. Orgrosh apparently also didn't seem to hate him enough to not regard him with scorn when he came down. It was still not a good thing, but it wasn't the worst thing. Still, just like with Cory, Bakan had to show some humility and bow his head. His hands at his sides, he lowered himself before Orgrosh, demanding no respect. "I'll accept any punishment you deem fitting when I return, if any at all." He said to the orc. With that, it should leave the situation in Orgrosh's hands to treat as she will. He expected the most appropriate reaction, to be ignored. Such was truly the worst. To have her turn her back on his dishonorable behavior was all too fitting, and all too likely a reaction. At least he was ready for it, so it wouldn't be so awful an experience.

Once everyone had gathered together, Bakan announced his plans to meet with Dove and what the man's intentions were, as well as his current thoughts on the matter. "Dove is a man much like myself... A worrying thought, I know." Bakan chuckled at the humor he made at his own expense. "He intends on solving a lot of the worlds issues... And part of his plan involves using that red stone that I delivered to him." Bakan announced, his skepticism appearing on his face. If anyone looked even slightly curious, he'd explain exactly where he got it from, and that Bakan figured the source of power itself to be from an evil source (the very one that turned Inka red, if memory serves). "No matter the case... I feel I cannot leave this man, nor his situation, alone. He didn't say I wasn't allowed to bring friends, so if any of you would like to come along..." He scanned his group. "Otherwise, I'll be going alone. Those of you not coming... Try not to walk alone. Stick together in pairs. If a group within the city decides to attack, you're a stronger force together than you are alone... Part of the reason why I wouldn't mind company." He said, no longer of a mind to think that he's safe alone. That lesson was a hard one learned.

In the end, his destination was Dove's estate. Bakan thought to himself, thinking of Dove, and wondering... 'He reminds me so much of myself... And that's what worries me the most.'

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

NPC Stats
Orgrosh: HP = 97, PP = 49, EP = 72, Fine

Bakan would be given the time he desired in which to ponder the goals of his companions and the turns that his life had taken in recent days, handed his breakfast and then left to his own devices by the servant after they'd been assured that he didn't want anything else. The food, a plate of scrambled eggs, ham, and potato hash mixed with spices, was only passable in terms of quality but fairly filling, not anything that he would recall as impressive in the future by any means but enough to get him through the morning. It had come with a glass of milk and a pitcher of ice water with an empty glass as well, which he could drink as much as he liked. Whether he left the tray in his room, or any of his things there, or a tip, was up to him, but if he wanted to stay or leave anything behind without endangering it he would have to pay for a second night.

Once he had arrived downstairs, Orgrosh would merely stare at him as he offered her the opportunity to punish him, offering neither contempt nor compassion, nor any sign that she felt anything regarding his offer. She merely looked at him, acknowledging that he had spoken, and then blinked and gave a completely noncommittal gesture in the form of a shrug. Inka found the reaction odd, to say the least, but the hungover alraune couldn't do anything other than look questioningly at Bakan, and even that she could only manage for a moment before putting her head down on the table. Rebecca waltzed back to her and nuzzled the alraune's head comfortingly, and earned a grateful pet from her before she wandered over to Bakan and curled up into his lap like a cat.

Samarta wouldn't be down for over an hour after that, but when she came she was the exact opposite of the rest of them, smiling cheerfully and full of energy thanks to the warm day. It was hot inside the bar, almost sweltering, and the heat was unusual for an Autumn day in Northern Badaria, albeit not unwelcome given the bustle that could be heard outside. Having gotten a good night's sleep, abstained from drinking completely, and avoided any drama of any kind, the busty naga was the picture of happiness after rising. "Good morning!" she called brightly, earning looks of discontent from Orgrosh and Inka but a cheery reply in kind from Sarah, "good morning miss Samarta!"

After exchanging questions for a moment, Samarta would take the seat next to Bakan, reaching into his lap to pet Rebecca and lowering herself onto her coiled tail since no chair could hold her serpentine lower half. Once his companions were assembled, Bakan would be able to announce his plans to go and meet Dove, with no one asking questions of him initially even though Sarah and Orgrosh didn't know about the red stone he'd acquired, which Samarta and Inka hardly needed to be told about. When offered to come along, Samarta would nod immediately, but Inka would miserably shake her head before lying back down. "I'll take care of her... Though, I need to ask.... Are we staying here again tonight? I think the beds here... Have parasites," Sarah said, hushing her voice so that the staff wouldn't overhear her complaint. She pointed to a row of bumps on her arm, visible after she rolled up the sleeve of her sun dress, that were clear signs that she'd been bitten by bed bugs, or a very aggressive spider perhaps, though the former was more likely.

"I'll go too," Orgrosh offered after a moment, "I don't know if I really trust that Dove fellow.... Sarah, why don't you get some food in that one, and then go out by the North gates? Maybe we can keep anyone from taking Bakan's hard earned money by spotting Cory and Rhep on their way in." Sarah would nod in acceptance, and then Orgrosh would look down at Rebecca and grimace slightly, "what about her? Shall she be going with Sarah and Inka, or would you rather she stay with you? She'll be pretty... Conspicuous, either way, and I'm not sure taking a raccoon to a noble's house is such a good idea no matter what story you try to spin."

After the situation with Rebecca was settled, and Bakan had decided whether or not to relocate, he would be free to go off with Orgrosh and Samarta to meet with Dove. Having been to the man's mansion before, it wasn't exactly hard to find. The three of them, or four if he had opted to bring Rebecca, would receive the same cold treatment from the locals as they'd gotten the day before, though there would thankfully be nothing thrown their way besides distrustful stares with the threatening figure of Orgrosh walking with them. Arriving at his nearly palatial estate, Bakan would be allowed through by the guards only to again be stopped at the door by Dove's butler, who gave Bakan a patient stare for a moment before asking; "Mmmmm, yes? May I help you?"

If Bakan explained that he had an appointment, the butler would simply nod, see them into a massive lavish entrance hall full of beautiful artwork in the form of both paintings on the walls and marble sculptures of classical Badarian heroes artfully arranged around the floor, shut the door, and lead them through a set of colossal double doors on the left wall and into another massive room, this one a dining hall. Several gigantic tables were present, but only one was occupied and that one by only one man, Dove sitting by himself eating breakfast with the careful mannerisms of a nobleman well practiced in making every motion of knife and fork look pointlessly graceful. He would break the image upon seeing Bakan and his two companions, adopting a boyish grin and waving them over even as his other hand skillfully set aside his dining utensils and then dabbed at his mouth with a handkerchief. "Ahhhh, Bakan!" he called brightly as he got up and offered Bakan a hand to shake, "come along, come along! Have a seat!"

He took Orgrosh's hand and kissed it, gently pressing his closed lips against her knuckles and drawing a very slight blush from the stoic orc even though she kept her composure better this time than she had when she'd been tipsy and clad in her dress instead of her armor. "Lady Del-Groblik... A pleasure to see you again!" he said, before turning to Samarta and repeating his gesture upon her hand, the flattering act somewhat more effective on the naga than on the orc as color appeared on Samarta's tanned cheeks. "And who might you be?" Dove asked as he held her hand gently between his fingers, not releasing her until she'd replied, though Samarta seemed not to mind. "Samarta.... No last name or title to worry about," she said, at which point he released her hand and bowed, "Dovikulus Alvarien, better known as Dove to those I care to speak to, at your service!"

He would usher them to sit, at which point he would tap a small bell and a servant would come to retrieve the remains of his half-eaten breakfast while he resumed his seat at the head of the table, a chair that had obviously been built for a man larger in stature than he. "So, Sir Jeru.... Bakan, if I may, I trust you and your companions enjoyed acceptable accommodations? No issues came up, I hope?" he asked politely, and after a few basic pleasantries were exchanged, the young blonde nobleman would lean back in his chair, fold his fingers in front of his face, and adopt a pensive look while staring at Bakan for a moment. It was a far more shrewd appraisal than the man's eccentricities would suggest he ought to be capable of, the sort of look that was more to be expected on a master wizard or an experienced general than the boyish noble who sat before him.

"Would you still be interested in assisting me?" he asked simply, "I can of course promise rewards of the financial variety in exchange for any help that you can offer, but for you... I think you are the kind of man who understands the real value in good deeds. I can, as I promised yesterday, offer any services to you that my wealth can acquire. We need not worry about equal exchange or any of that nonsense... A friend helping a friend holds no debts in mind, and if it makes you better able to help others, that is reward enough for me whether or not you are doing things at my behest." Samarta seemed to approve of his words, though Orgrosh appeared quite skeptical of that statement, but Dove at that point looked only to Bakan for answers.

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Whether to stay or not... Bakan had slept in harsh conditions to be sure, so the state of affairs didn't bother him much at all. Though, changes would have to be made in case his other companions didn't find the place agreeable. Still, he'd appreciate the meal more than most would. Unable to cook for himself, the charred remains of his failed cooking would truly be the worst thing anyone would have ever tasted. It was hard as well, to eat without thinking of Idian. Cooking seemed to come to him like nothing... And Idian did very much enjoy cooking with his mother. Their mother. Her long, beautiful brown hair, and gentle smile... A scene of kindness, care and beauty, forever ruined by the image of her horrid expression on her decapitated head that Bakan could never help but think about whenever his thoughts drifted to the past. There was no better cook in the world other than their mother... Now Idian was left behind to carry on that legacy. 'I'll ask him to make a meal for me when we reunite again.' Bakan determined. He wouldn't use such disheartening words as 'if' in regards to that. He had to keep his spirits up. It'd be best done if he could keep a positive attitude the whole way, and not distract himself with doubt as he had been doing for the longest time. Though surely, more hardship would come. More difficult situations. More strife. 'I wonder though... I wonder when my life will calm down. When I'll finally put down the hammer...'

That thought seemed to impact him in a large way. When will he give up the life he has currently? When will he stop fighting? He almost felt like he was given his answer by a god, no, the fates themselves as he held his hammer in his hands, as he almost always does. It was vague, but the closest thing to words he could describe as his answer was 'never'. People like him live a lifestyle, and that is hard to give up. Even if he wanted to. He'd been wandering his whole life, trying to protect others. The strangest thought of all was one that begged the question of the impossible. 'What if the world was at total peace?' Thinking of that, people like Bakan would be completely useless. It was a scary thought, to think that someone like him needed conflict and those of evil, so that he would feel needed. But the thought didn't last long. If evil would stop existing, Bakan wouldn't mind being useless, or vanishing entirely. It sounded like a good trade. There was nothing wrong with wanting the world to be a better place. You accept the good with the bad, so long as the good outweighs the bad. The best answer is never the perfect answer. Those were wise words Bakan wish he made up on his own. If only. Then he might be able to impress Ashloriel with his vocabulary and honorable phrases... The thought of an impressed Ashloriel was nice... As was the mental imagery of her patting his head.

He let out a sigh. "I want to see her again..." Bakan said with a sad tone, before looking at the state of his room. He'd have to either pack up or pay up soon. Time to find out how his companions felt. Going downstairs, Bakan sat down and soon found Rebecca curling up in his lap like a cat. Everyone looking at Bakan might find it very bizarre of Bakan to act like he was experiencing true bliss, but it was true. It was so adorable to have the big fluffy coon curl up in his lap that his wings turned pink as dopamine flooded his brain with that feel good sensation. Control yourself, Bakan... Gently... Slowly... Bakan pet Rebecca with a steady hand, so careful was he that he was acting like it was a fine art that took supreme concentration. After achieving a full pet, from head to tail, Bakan looked as if he has reached full ascension. Like a monk who had seen god. Eyes closed, and a blank expression, he pet Rebecca. He mastered his inner self, and touched the fluffy tail without losing his mind and burying his face in it. Slowly, he nodded. "Yes. This is true happiness." he declared, as if someone was ready in that moment to quickly write down the most famous quote from a man petting a raccoon.

Bakan looked as if he made a full recovery. As if Rebecca's fluffy tail had the power to dispel all darkness and doubt. Indeed, it was powerful. It would be such a shame if she became human again... 'Wow, I am such an asshole for thinking that.' Bakan chided himself and his greed for the fluffy tail. It'd be a shame... A damned shame, but it had to be done. 'We can't be together my love...' he thought to the tail. 'But... You know what they say... If you love your fluff... Let it go.' He thought, a tear shaping in his eye... 'No, you're a big boy, Bakan. No crying. Just enjoy this while it lasts.' he thought with a nod, petting Rebecca some more, and enjoying it too. That's about when Samarta was coming down. "Good morning, Samarta." Bakan would greet her, noting how cheerful she looked. That's when the meeting could begin. Bakan spoke his piece, and left the others to respond to his statement that they were welcome to come along if they wished. Samarta was a bit of a shock, but the biggest shock of all was that Orgrosh wished to come. The surprise on Bakan's face was clearly evident to everyone at the table when Orgrosh spoke up. He could even feel his heart beating from the nervousness that swelled up as a result. She even looked to solve the issue of Bakan losing all his money as a result of the lost persons note he left. His nervousness was choked back by a bit of relief, but only a bit. It seemed like Orgrosh wasn't going to leave the company, at least not right now. Perhaps it was a future plan, but she sure seemed devoted to helping him out, and sticking around for the time being... Again, Bakan was at a loss as to what motivated her. She was angry at him, livid no doubt. Yet she still was ready to walk right beside him. Seriously, what's going on in her head?

Bakan would realize he was staring intently at Orgrosh for a bit too longer than one may like. So, he looked away. Instead, he focused on Sarah and her hushed words. Parasites... No doubt, those who run this town would be perfectly okay with hearing Sarah be a victim of such creatures. There'd be no help for her should the situation be voiced. So, Bakan leaned forward, hushing his own voice as well while speaking quietly to her and putting his hand on her own to try and assure her with his gesture. "Don't worry. We will find another place to sleep." he replied, before giving her a nod and a smile. He left out the part where it'd likely be outside. Because with the current situation, Bakan was completely broke if one took into account the fact that his poster made up all of his current funds. Though, who knows what the future holds. As well, something else Bakan figured out was important. "I saw Cory and Rhep. As of last night, they were perfectly fine. It seemed as if they were traversing the pass of ghosts. It was snowing, so they might be a good ways north yet. Likely not about to arrive anytime soon, maybe." Bakan said, though went to think about how far away and the distance of the pass of ghosts was from their current position. "This was revealed to me via Janne... Newly found friend of Samarta, and eternal bane of my existence..." Bakan took it upon himself to complain further about Janne. Indeed, she was someone that was as tormenting and wicked as one can be but still just dangled short of Bakan being able to do anything against her. He was still angry that she turned Samarta against him that one time. She's so damned evil, but just not evil enough!

Then, finally, came Rebecca. The cute little thing. "Rebecca is no mere raccoon!" Bakan defended the transformed person, hugging her close as she lay curled up on his lap. "... She's a cute little coon~" Bakan cooed with a crescent grin. "I think she can decide for herself. You can come with me if you want as well, Rebecca. You can sit on my head like you did before so no one accidentally hurts you, if you want." he offered. Regardless if she came or not, the only difference would be if Bakan had a living coon hat as he left and reminded everyone to be careful and to pack up, making sure to secure all his belongings upstairs as well so when housekeeping came by, they didn't loot his things.

Walking through town was yet another merciless trek. Yes, sleeping outside was better, Bakan decided. They had to escape this hate one way or another. Bakan was reaching the point where he wanted to turn on the townspeople and yell at them for being cruel. With haste, they made it to Dove's palace it seemed. The butler... "Uh... You don't have to say the same thing you did last time... Don't you recognize me?" Bakan questioned, but would eventually state his reason. "It's Bakan Jeru... I'm here because Dove wanted to see me again." he stated. Then the butler just nodded and walked towards the palace. Standing and staring for a moment, Bakan shook his head. "... I'm getting really bad vibes from that butler..." Bakan muttered, before following along. Dove alone might have almost convinced Bakan fully, but his surroundings just don't add up with the man himself. Even his butler... None of this made sense. Was Dove really only the kind soul out of all the hateful townsfolk and the freaky butler? This person was someone of power as well... No, Bakan was going to have a talk with Dove. With rocks being thrown at his friends on the streets, words had to be said. Dove was a nice person as far as Bakan could tell, but his plans to make the world a better place would have to begin here. This town was too hateful.

When Bakan entered the doors of Dove's abode, his stance was firm and his expression just as firm. When Dove came up to shake his hand, Bakan gripped the man's hand and held it mid-handshake. He looked directly into Dove's eyes as he spoke, one of the few moments Bakan was truly serious. "Dove, I want to have a serious discussion with you. My stomach does not settle well, and it's no virus or illness that does this to me. The reason is, and forgive me for saying this... But the reason is this city." he stated, before introducing Samarta and reintroducing Orgrosh to him. The hand kissing didn't matter to him this time, he thought nothing of it. It'd still matter though, but only with Cory, and Rhep a little too. Because Cory was his lover, and Orgrosh and Samarta were not... Sort of. It was complicated.

With that, Bakan sat down, his face stern. Putting all his effort into focusing on this conversation. "Rather than answer immediately, what kind of answer are you expecting, Dove?" Bakan questioned. "You know better than I do about the state of this city. Walking in the streets is a nightmare, trying to talk to the townsfolk is impossible. The very same guards who trail us through the town, ready for an excuse to pounce on my companions, salute your butler..." Bakan took a deep breath to compose himself, but his expression was helplessly furious. "I want answers, Dove. What is this plan you have, and why does this town respect you when your views differ so severely from their own?" he inquired, eager to know why things were in such a piss poor state despite someone who speaks like Dove being in a position of authority. Was he just relying on that evil red crystal? Was it that madness to return again in conversation? If Dove's mad enough to think of something like that, then he'd be mad enough to step in and talk to the people about their barbaric ways. Any nonsense about it being better than elsewhere would be wasted words as well. It'd be the same as a murderer claiming to stab far less than other murders. A pointless statement.

"I'm sorry for directing this at you, Dove, when you're the most sound minded and approachable person I've met here so far, but I'm extremely confused at your situation. How can you stand it? Being around all this hate is getting me to the point of wanting to puke. Not even directed at me, I add. My wings seem to amaze them," He stated, and on that note, Bakan's wings had turned red since he began talking. "But Samarta's tail and Orgrosh's skin provoke vile thoughts and actions. Despite it all... Why..." Bakan shook his head. "Why does it seem like you're ignoring all that?"

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

NPC Stats
Orgrosh: HP = 97, PP = 49, EP = 72, Fine

Bakan's promise that they would find another place to sleep would earn a nod of acceptance from Sarah, but then she would remind him, "we will have to update the people we asked to help keep watch for the others if we don't find them today. I can do it, but we'll have to settle elsewhere first. I'll keep an eye out for a place that's more.... Proper. You should do so as well." His news about Cory and Rhep was generally well received, but Orgrosh would look somewhat worried. "The Pass of Ghosts is a dangerous place," she said, "clanless, bandits, and raiders are only one thing to worry about... It is called what it is for a reason. Still... Cory is crafty, and both she and Rhep are capable of defending themselves. I'm sure they'll be here soon."

When the subject of Rebecca was brought up and Bakan defended her, Orgrosh gave him a flat look as he so vehemently defended the raccoon in his lap. "Be that as it may," she replied evenly, "most will perceive her as an animal, a wild animal that most in Badaria perceive as a pest, and at least some of them won't want her around." Despite the orc's counsel, Rebecca would rise and climb up onto Bakan's shoulder, balancing somewhat precariously and swishing her tail against the back of his neck, apparently ready to depart with him. Orgrosh simply shrugged and accepted it, letting it go.

Departing, when they arrived the butler would stare flatly at Bakan, "it is my responsibility to see that my lord's time is not wasted, sir." His eyes flicked up to Rebecca, who was sitting on Bakan's head, and then back down to Bakan's face as a slightly sour note entered his features. "I trust that your pet is house broken? I will not permit it into the mansion otherwise," he asked and then stated in the same flat tone, after which he would lead Bakan into the mansion, ignoring Bakan's comment about bad vibes if he even heard it.

Eventually he was before Dove, and his initial complaint about feeling ill seemed to surprise the man until it became clear that it was no physical ailment that Bakan suffered from, but a distaste for the atmosphere in the city. "Ahhh.... Yes," he said, understanding, and then continued with introductions and then sat back down to continue the conversation. After speaking his piece, Dove would appear slightly confused when Bakan asked what sort of answer he expected, but would listen without interrupting as Bakan went over his problems with the city and how it viewed outsiders. Eventually he would fold his hands in front of him, raised, visibly focusing on Bakan entirely.

After he had finished, Dove would let out a heavy sigh and set his hands back onto the table, palms down. "To be honest, I don't. Stand it, I mean. I rarely leave my mansion save for social gatherings, and otherwise I spend as much time out of the city - or even out of Badaria entirely - as possible, going around trying to get things in motion to make changes, acquiring assets, making allies where they can be had.... But that's not really an answer, is it? I hate the sheer stupidity of my countrymen, the bigotry... And I'm trying to work to fix it. That's not something that can be done with magic or rituals, however. Not any that I would ever care to enact, at least.

"Instead, I try to make an example for my peers among the nobles by treating even people of other races with respect and decency, and it has earned me a good share of troubles from a few elements. The wealthy and powerful are sadly but understandably conservative, as maintaining the status quo serves their interests more than admitting that the world is changing around them. I don't know how they can still bloody think that after what happened two years ago, but there it is. The name Alvarien still carries a great deal of respect, however, and my most direct servants are easily recognized by many thanks to their association with me. That's why Paul here got such a reaction from the city guard.

"Anyway... You and yours are mistreated simply because you are different, and that among all the other sins of my people is the one I find most repulsive. People like you, strangers, ones they would call freaks even, saved countless lives when the monsters from the sky came down upon us, but when the dust settled it was like nothing had changed. People who are different just because of how they look, or because of what they can do, are still reviled all over Badaria. Now, I could try to say that my reasons are that simple, but... That would be a lie. You see, even though I might look normal, I am not-"

Dove was suddenly cut off by a man who had gone unnoticed earlier, sitting in a chair set against the wall and so mundane and still that he might easily have been another statue, suddenly barked in warning; "Sir! You shouldn't-" The man, the one who had been standing outside of the door at the opera house the previous day, spoke with a tone of authority that was probably odd given that he was addressing not only a noble, but the very lord that he served. Dove silenced him with an upraised hand, "calm, Galvery. I know you would prefer caution, but look at these three! I doubt that the revelation will be nearly as dramatic to them as it would be to our countrymen, and besides... Who are they going to tell that would believe them?" The man by the wall seemed to have some choice words to offer in reply, but he held his tongue. Dove, turning back to Bakan, continued; "As I was saying.... I am not entirely human myself, even though I appear completely as such. This particular branch of my house was subverted by my father, who disguised himself as a nobleman and managed to marry in, after which he somewhat brutally assumed control of the estate. I was one product of such, though I was something of a disappointment to my father in that I displayed no signs of his blood. In Crolia I would be called dragonhearted, or among the orcs dragonborn," he gave a slight nod to Orgrosh, who looked somewhat skeptical but also slightly amazed, "and that I myself am so different is part of why it disgusts me so that my countrymen are so bigoted against outsiders.

"Even though I understand the rational reasons behind the fear of the unnatural - my father was a psychopath and a brute for example, and it was even worse knowing that neither age nor disease would rid us of him - it's not right to judge the many by the actions of the few. Suffice to say, I am doing anything but ignoring the racism of my people, but it simply isn't something that will go away overnight, or that can be changed by grand gestures. It isn't just in Cheydin.... Or even just in Badaria. The way I've been going about it so far, I've mostly been trying to teach the younger nobles in whatever ways I can, preferably by actions so that the words of their elders won't bite so deeply. I've been trying to change the school curriculum too, to include less of our former king's propaganda, and there at least I think I'm making some headway, even if the going is slow so far.

"It's actually something related to that that I was going to ask you to help on," Dove continued, looking hopeful, "it isn't just races that get abused in Badaria.... I don't know if you've noticed, but it's not exactly an easy society for women to live in either. I won't bore you with the politics, but a friend of mine is in danger because of his involvement in a movement to get women the right to vote in elections and public ballots. Someone who... Dislikes his forward thinking is trying to have him silenced, and I'd rather that not happen. A few other people in the movement are trying to protect him, but I fear they won't be up to the task of guarding him against whatever assassins might be sent against him. He needs to live long enough for someone to gain evidence that will discredit the one who wants him killed, and while I do know a few capable fighters, none have agreed to protect him so far. I won't mislead you, there are rumors.... That he has called upon someone more dangerous than any conventional assassin. Have you ever heard of the Nightstalker?"

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Bakan bit his lower lip when Orgrosh took to reminding him how dangerous the pass was. It looked as if Orgrosh was delivering a powerful punch into his stomach just with her words, wincing visibly as she mentioned just few of the many threats that could come after them. The end complimenting their capability was merely a simple bandage over the bruises she gave him, leaving him feeling as if that was her acting on her anger towards him. 'I'm sorry, Orgrosh, so please have mercy...' Bakan begged her inwardly. But then came Rebecca's decision. Bakan smiled as she climbed onto his shoulder, while he used his hands to help her climb up. "I'm sure the worst of this town could say equally horrible things of each of you." Bakan said in regards to Rebecca being an animal treated as a pest. "Rebecca deserves just as much respect as everyone else. I won't let any society tell me otherwise, or make me think I shouldn't walk around with her, or you, by my side. They can eat my shoes." Bakan said with his nose in the air

Then, they'd be off. Meeting with the butler, Bakan would find his words... Odd. He's there to make sure Dove's time isn't wasted? If anything, Bakan had Dove figured for a man who had far too much free time on his hands. You'd have to be pretty available in order to wake up one morning and decide you have the time to try and save the world. Not to mention, as far as nobles go, Dove's appointments with Bakan were fairly close together and without much wait. That's far different from the treatment he got before from other nobles, who would inform Bakan to wait for an entire month just for a fifteen minute meeting, only to forget who he was come that day, and spend the entire fifteen minutes simply with reintroductions before sending him off and forgetting who he was again. Except for the female noble who wanted him as her personal guard. It was nice to be called someone who had everything she could want in a personal guard, but Bakan found it odd that she was looking down instead of at his face. Even nobles could be weird sometimes.

Then came the regards to Rebecca, which weren't that surprising. Still, he had to give an answer. "She's not my pet. She's a person named Rebecca Helvetios who was cursed to take on this form. She's as likely to ruin the grand floors as you are, sir." Bakan said firmly in defense of Rebecca. He left out the part where Bakan considered it best if she stay a raccoon. Even so, once he was in the halls of Dove, he'd introduce Rebecca all the same, letting him know that she was as much an intelligent person as anyone else in the room before sitting down and stating his thoughts and complaints before Dove would answer him in full.

The first bit was something he expected. It'd be rather inconsistent if Dove said anything to the contrary to what he's been telling Bakan so far. It still didn't help the issue though. The natural reaction from his peers when stating his beliefs in such a way didn't surprise him either, though Dove seemed to indicate that the reason he wasn't completely refused from a position of power by other Badarians is due to his long lasting history, which Bakan himself remembered hearing a little about, though if asked, all Bakan could say was that Dove was a famous person for various reasons, and didn't have any mentionable ill rumors about him. Bakan had to lean back in his chair and think on what he was told as Dove went on. The butler, Paul, seeming like an asshole. Bakan didn't often use that word unless he felt someone truly deserved it, as with most of his remarks; however, Paul seemed worthy of the title. He had yet to recognize or refer to Bakan as much of anything, not even bothering to call him by his name. Paul seemed like one of those type of characters that do more than they seem to do. They just stand there, being an asshole, while doing asshole things in the background that contribute to their attitude. Bakan was convinced Paul was one of those kinds of people, and that irritated him.

Though, at the bit of how Badarians acted like nothing had happened after the dust settled, Bakan rose his head. "That's not entirely true. Indeed, many Badarians clung to their old ways, but I've seen the changes, however subtle. Many Badarians have been getting better about regarding other races, but those people are overlooked because it's the hateful racists that get all of the attention. The problem I wouldn't attest to being with everyone in this city. It was the hateful citizens that we noticed when going down the street, but I'm sure there were others, who don't share their views. The real issue is that those hateful are allowed to do as they please without protest. The good people have a voice that they aren't using because they think they're in the minority, and they very well may be right. All we need do is give those good people a more powerful voice than the hateful, and we just might see Badaria change for the better." Bakan said his piece on that. The point was that good people do exist in Badaria, but there was another point to be made as well.

"But... Unfortunately, it's not just racism that blockades our ability to get along..." Bakan almost felt like he was thinking too much of Orgrosh as he began saying this. "Our traditions, our values, our ways of life, and our habits all differ from region to region. Whether we're afraid of each other or not, it still presents a difficulty. Even if you got two races together who agreed with one another and had open minds, they could leave the room hating each other purely because of a disagreement on values and tradition. No matter what anyone says, it's hard to say that there's an easy answer for such complicated issues. But problems are solved by working together. I'm not good enough to be an example of that yet, but I'm trying my best." Bakan said. He did what he could to avoid looking at Orgrosh, and making it too obvious that he was thinking of their fight as they spoke. Though it was likely a wasted effort anyway. She probably already knew what he was referencing to.

Amazed as the others might be following Dove's announcement that he was dragonborn, Bakan was likely the only one in the room who didn't seem to acknowledge that fact as significant at all. In fact, the grand announcement held true to what Dove said, not dramatic at all. "Why is that important?" Bakan questioned aloud. Orgrosh's slight amazement made him seem more confused. "Your father would be a terrible man, whether he was dragonhearted or not. You'd be who you are as well, irrelevant of your genes. As would I. I don't mind being told that, it's interesting always to learn about other people, but I just feel that... Even now..." Bakan glanced at Orgrosh. "People put too much weight on such a simple thing. I personally don't think any different of you, knowing this. I realize others views may differ, but the importance of the fact is always lost on me. I only care about who the person is, not what they are. If you're a good person, I'll want to be friends. If you're bad, I'll want to scold you. Evil people will always be treated the same by me in my book, whether they're bananas or dragons." Bakan said simply.

Then, onto the final topic. Women's rights. Bakan nodded again, well aware that women were treated differently, and he himself wasn't entirely innocent of the crime as it were. Though he did think women had a say in things, Bakan didn't see them fit for being in danger or shedding blood. Women to him always seemed like mothers and care takers, the support that men and children desperately needed. Then some things happened, beginning with Janne, who he would describe as not a woman, but as 'the monster under your bed who will eat your penis.' Though, that wasn't important at the moment. What was important was the news that a man trying to give women some rights to voice their opinion actually had assassins after his neck. "That's a bit of a ridiculous reaction." Bakan said. "Trying to kill someone just for that? Isn't that a waste of resources? What can allowing women to vote bring that is so terrible that a man needs to hire an assassin noteworthy enough to get their own title? Honestly..." Bakan sighed. "It sounds like a big step towards a good direction. I'll naturally say yes, and protect this man from an assassin. I can't speak for my other companions though. We are friends, and trust each other, so they don't answer to my commands like hired help. All I can assure you is that I will definitely help. I'll ask the others their opinions as well." Bakan told Dove.

"I would like to hear about this person called Nightstalker, but if you'd be so kind, I'd like your aid with something as a payment of sorts... Well, two things actually. Right now, we need a place to stay. The current location found that is accepting outsiders is bothering one of my friends due to reasons I won't say. It'd be nice if we could sleep in a normal place that is healthy and clean." Bakan requested. "As well... This is in regards to Rebecca. She is with me because I promised I'd help her with her current condition. I'd like to find a way for her to assume her true form again, as well... I am searching for the goddess, Sivicine." Bakan said the last part slowly, and with great care. He knew he was asking for a lot, expecting to meet with someone so amazing. "Sivicine is the one who did this to Rebecca, and in my time with Rebecca, I've gotten nothing but kindness from her. So... In one way or another... I ended up with the objective of finding this goddess to learn the true story." Bakan said, thinking a bit on how he should word it differently. The truth would be devastating. 'I'm looking for Sivicine because I promised to punish her.' That was pure madness.