What's new

Translator ++

ParaPara15

Reputation score
Only workaround I found eventually was to just insert a placeholder and then find/replace it out in Notepad++ later, though depending on the type of game you're trying to translate it might not always work too well.

Strange

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score
Same here.

Not an issue when you're on your own, but concerning when you're counting on the .trans file in a project involving multiple actors.
You can always depend on the real editor - RPGM** or Wolfrpg, but that also denies the above.

akyryz

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
It's a very good tool but it will create a cache instance...
So, sadly, it doesn't work with games that update constantly.

Strange

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score
it doesn't work with games that update constantly.
True, but unrelated to t++.
Any game that update will render some, or all files obsolete. Translation naturally follows suit.

On the contrary, T++ would stand as an exception, as it converts stricly 'string by string'.
I think there's a way to inject an old tranlation (the how is kinda fuzzy to me as of yet) but you can certainly brute-copy/paste your old columns into a new project. Stuff will be left out, but not all will be lost.

RPGMV and its convenient json files would add to the exceptions. After a small update, you could compare the files between version, say with notepad++ compare module, mark the differences, and review then through T++. Or edit the files directly, of course (any change to the js scripts often should be redone from scratch, though).
This is still a lot of work, nigh impossible for older engines. Usually it's best not to rush and wait for the updates to stop... Assuming they do and the game doesn't have a modding community still active 5 years later (Rhapsodia... 😅).

ParaPara15

Reputation score
I found another workaround for inserting linebreaks via regex though it's somewhat cumbersome, but might be useful in cases where find/replacing the text files isn't practical... Basically if you match a linebreak (\n) in the regex find string, you can insert it into the replace string via backreferences. So for example if I want to insert a linebreak on lines at a space between 68 and 82 characters I can do find "(\n)(.{68,82}) " replace "$1$2$1" and it works as intended. Though this won't match the first line of each text block, for that I need to find "^(.{68,82}) (.*)(\n)" replace "$1$3$2$3", which ideally should be done after the first find/replace. Maybe a more elegant way to do this but seemed to work for my short test at least.

Also if you're going with the notepad++ method it might be better to simply insert your placeholder string, save and exit from Translator++, and then do your find replace in Translator++\www\php\cache\{project folder}\autosave.json before loading it up again in Translator++. This should solve the issue of some game engines not exporting in a format that isn't easily editable like that as well as avoiding needing to find/replace again every time you make a change to the translation since the linebreaks should stick in Translator++ after that. Also even if you opt to modify the exported files instead of the cache you still probably want to reopen and export them again from Translator++ since otherwise you'll likely get some overflows on the bottom of the text box which Translator++ automatically accounts for and fixes when you export again.

Well, all this is basically just a workaround for the fact that the built in word wrap function doesn't really work like you'd want it to most of the time... (I think due to it not taking linebreaks into account or something and inserting a ton of extra linebreaks where they're not needed as a result.) Wrapping lines with regex seems to work more consistently for now...