What's new

Under a strange light(Alexandra/Alkalannar)

OP
Hentaispider

Hentaispider

Lord of the Tap Dance \oO.Oo/ (And Reputation Mana
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score
Re: Under a strange light(Alexandra/Alkalannar)

The laboratory is dark and empty - it seems that the professor isn't an early riser, either. Were Arrenhar to lit some of the lamps, she'd see the crystal device where she left it, and the professors notes spread all over the smaller table.

Alkalannar

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

Arrenhan does indeed light lamps, but before she does more than a cursory inspection of the crystal or equipment, she turns to the Professor's notes to study them. Knowledge is power, after all.

OP
Hentaispider

Hentaispider

Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

The notes seem full of complex calculations related to Maxwell equations and topology, beyond Alexandra's education.

Alkalannar

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

She had basics...Maxwell's equations about electromagnetism. Topology...that quickly gets beyond her, but...study of surfaces. Is he trying to unify electromagnetism and magic? Build technology that mimics magic? She goes back to the sphere and starts to probe it with tendrils of magic to assess its stability.

OP
Hentaispider

Hentaispider

Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

Arrenhan couldn't find any faults in the crystal, though it seems slightly more brittle than it was before. As she is studying, the professor comes in. "Good morning Arrenhan. It's good to see young people enthusiastic about their work. Was the crystal working as it should have yesterday?"

Alkalannar

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

"Good morning, Professor. I am not sure how it was supposed to work, but it did store magic until it discharged.....it seems brittle now, though." She wags her tail at the praise, and gives a smile, "What do you want me to do now?"

OP
Hentaispider

Hentaispider

Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

The professor curses and slams his fist to the wall. "It should have worked! The equations are correct, the crystal isn't flawed, I checked and re-checked everything a dozen times." The professor mutters a few more curses before calming down. "I need you to take that crystal and go to the mine to get another just like it. It's about two hours north from here, just follow the road. While you walk, I want you to think about how to minimize interference from external factors during the test."

Alkalannar

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

"Of course, sir," she says. "I'll take it immediately." She wraps the crystal up and puts it in a pack, before starting on her way towards the mine, idly thinking along the way.

Hmm....try draining any magic in the area to start with? Set up a shield around the area? That would be an influence, but a known one. Or...I just charged it...but there's no reason it would have held the charge. Why not enchant the crystal so that it would hold the power, and then charge it?

It's a long walk, over five miles along the paths, and she's more than a bit dusty when she arrives at the mine, carrying the brittle crystal.

OP
Hentaispider

Hentaispider

Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

R 17 vs A 13

Arrehan HP 5/5 MP 2/2
Rope demon ?/?

The town she walks through seems quite pleasant. However, as she arrives to the edge of the town, the road going to north splits into two, both apparently going around the same mountain, but one east and the other west. Arrehan randomly picks the western road. The path is in quite narrow and there's only a fragile looking fence between her and a long fall, but it seems to be in good condition and it's thankfully dry.

Arrehan has walked barely a mile from the town when she hears something from above and dodges on pure instinct right towards the mountainside. Now in front of her is a mess of ropes that seem to be moving, which quite effectively blocks the path.

Alkalannar

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

Well, this is not good. A writhing mass of rope. Now...what did she remember about this? Well...they burn, like rope does, but also, there's a knot at the center...undo that, and the entire mass could become unenchanted. She stands straight, ears perked and intones an invocation, trying to attack the magical core of the monster.

OP
Hentaispider

Hentaispider

Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

A 13 vs 2
R 2 vs 21 counter

Arrehan HP 5/5 MP 2/2
Rope demon 3/5

The incantation doesn't work as intended, but it seems to weaken the rope demon somewhat. Surprisingly, another charge strikes the demon as it whips Arrehan.

Alkalannar

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

Perhaps not, but it is weakening the demon, and it seems more...elegant than simply blasting it. Perhaps she's prideful, vain, or cunning, like the fox she appears to be, but she does it again.

OP
Hentaispider

Hentaispider

Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

A 5 vs 16
R 4 vs 8

Arrehan HP 4/5 MP 2/2, -1 to attacks
Rope demon 3/5

This time the rope demon shrugs off the effects of the spell and one of the ropes hits Arrehan, coiling around her arm.

Alkalannar

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

Definitely not good. She draws on the power inside to double the blast. She can't let this thing take her. Not so soon! (Spending 1 MP to make two basic magic attacks.)

OP
Hentaispider

Hentaispider

Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

A 16 vs 5
A 4 vs 20 counter
R 15 vs 12

Arrenhan HP 2/5 MP 1/2, -2 to attacks
Rope demon 2/5

Trusting crude power more than finesse, Arrenhan shoots two fiery blasts from her hands. One of them hits the ropes, causing some of the coils to blacken, but the other backfires, giving the demon an opportunity to strike again, this time lashing across her midriff and trying to pull her closer.

Alkalannar

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

The foxgirl grunts and starts struggling more, distracted by the two ropes. The power surge staggered her a moment, and she resolved to not do that again, at least this time. A simple surge sent back through the ropes this time, to try to make it let her go.

OP
Hentaispider

Hentaispider

Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

A 11 vs 2
R 5 vs 2

Arrenhan HP 1/5 MP 1/2, -1 to attacks
Rope demon 2/5

The rope demon is recoils from the surge of power letting Arrenhan go, but only a moment later another lashes her, hitting her legs and sending a wave of exhaustion through her. She realizes that she can't last much longer.

Alkalannar

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

In her tired state, she couldn't run...her only hope is to lash out again at it, with brute power, and hope that she can overcome her adversary. She didn't want to be defeated on the first encounter, after all! These are supposed to be the training levels where you get into things before true difficulty! (Spending other MP to attack twice.)

OP
Hentaispider

Hentaispider

Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

A 15 vs 7
A 8 vs 5

The double-blast hits the rope demon and it slips through the fence, falling out of sight. Looking down, Arrenhan sees that her clothes are damaged, but it would be easy matter to fix them with magic. She also feels quite tired, though able to continue - unless there's another fight like this behind the next corner.

Alkalannar

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

She pauses a moment, watching the thing fall, closing her eyes then making the minor repairs needed before going farther along the path, this time being cautious and looking for possible attackers. Of course she might not look at the right places. Lucky I beat it, but...I'm drained. I hope there aren't any more things like that before I can recharge. Still...at least I can get closer to the mine and get one of those crystals.