What's new

ACT [Wolfenstahl] Last Demon Hunter

lazycat

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Last Demon Hunter

Out of curiosity and slightly off topic: Do you play Monster Hunter?

Because that ape demon looks terrifyingly similar to Rajang.

Reaper875

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Last Demon Hunter had previously been refered to as "test game", but with the growing interest of the community I figured it might deserve it's own topic.
Also because we plan to bring more additions to the game in the upcoming months.

Last Demon Hunter is a top-down shooter with GoR hentai.
It also features random generation to some degree, so every playthrough should be differently.

You can find the public version of the game here:

There's a newer version on Patreon for Patrons only, but we'll upload it as public version in about 3-4 weeks.

As this game is still being labeled as "test game", it obviously isn't fleshed out.
But due to increasing demand to put more content into it, as well as growing support, we're seriously considering to turn this into a full fledged game, if we get more support that is.

This means:
More enemies, an escape mechanic, as well as "maybe" full coloured artworks.
(the fully coloured artworks are going to be a lot of work, and thus a lot of support would be needed for this)
Sound effects and music might get added to the game as well.

P.S:
If we focus more on LDH, our other game DA will have slower progress obviously.
So please tell us your opinion about it!
(and yes, I'm well aware that peoples opinions are always going into different directions)
1st. Your game looks awesome (The recent posts I have just seen, and old works too).

2nd. Is this game a similar style to what your game is? :)

Yes

Demon Girl
Reputation score

There's a poll about the next ... thing to happen.

I voted for LDH, although i'm anxious to see progress on Deathblight apoc. The reason being that I enjoyed LDH more than i thought I would, but it didn't feel like a complete game. I hope you'll finish it (my preference would be one more enemy, add sounds and balance it) and then move onto Deathblight like you intended. It's only a test game, but it's a playable test game, and you could even sell it on dlsite for a quid or so (patrons get it free) considering theres quite a bit of content for a short little game.

I really enjoyed Paperheads, but it too felt unfinished, or maybe a little rushed out the door, as I remember you were starting to have financial problems at the time, so I was hoping you could put out a product that you were happy with, and it being a small project and all that should be possible. So yeah if there was an option of LDH + DA then I would choose that because i'm really looking forward to that tbh.

OP
Wolfenstahl

Wolfenstahl

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Out of curiosity and slightly off topic: Do you play Monster Hunter?

Because that ape demon looks terrifyingly similar to Rajang.
I did play Monster Hunter (only a few hours), but I've never seen that monster before.
(had to look into the MH wikia)
From what I get is, that Rajang is a... minotaur with horns?
(that's what the wikia says)
It does look similar and different at the same time, but well, stuff like this happens.

At any rate, we didn't use it as inspiration as we didn't even know about that monster before.
But it doesn't matter anyway, as it's impossible to invent something entirely new in this time and age.

1st. Your game looks awesome (The recent posts I have just seen, and old works too).
I'm glad you like it!

2nd. Is this game a similar style to what your game is?
Uhm, I think I don't quite understand?

I voted for LDH, although i'm anxious to see progress on Deathblight apoc. The reason being that I enjoyed LDH more than i thought I would, but it didn't feel like a complete game. I hope you'll finish it (my preference would be one more enemy, add sounds and balance it) and then move onto Deathblight like you intended. It's only a test game, but it's a playable test game, and you could even sell it on dlsite for a quid or so (patrons get it free) considering theres quite a bit of content for a short little game.
I'm glad you like it!
We're actually working on implementing sound and music for LDH, as well as another enemy before (maybe?) moving on to something else.
But we don't intend to sell it on DLSite in that state.

I really enjoyed Paperheads, but it too felt unfinished, or maybe a little rushed out the door, as I remember you were starting to have financial problems at the time, so I was hoping you could put out a product that you were happy with, and it being a small project and all that should be possible.
I'm sorry that you felt that Paperheads was unfinished.

Please let me clarify some of the things:
At the time we had no financial trouble, but we spend a lot of time (and money) on creating Paperheads already.
In the end we managed to create what we wanted to create, but we had to make compromises.

As it was our first game and we had no experience we focused on the wrong things...
We totally overdid the hentai animations and focused on putting as much hentai content into a few enemies.
(several CGs per enemy as well as lots of different hentai animations per enemy)
Since we had no experience, we truly believed that this would be a great thing to do.

But as it turned out, it was a stupid idea...
The better way would have been to create more enemies, each with only 1-2 animations instead of a handful enemies with up to 10 hentai animations...
(People didn't even notice that each enemy has this much animations, so... yeah... waste of time)
Doing this many animations was soooo much work, yet nearly noone realized it, and that frustrated us a lot.

We did a lot wrong with Paperheads, and in the end we were unsatified with our own work.
Especially because, once it was done, we learned that the game wouldn't run on all computers and that it ate up too much of a computers power.
(I never had issues on my computer, but every computer is different... so we didn't encounter these troubles earlier)
This is were we had to make compromises...
So we had to take out some of it's CGs (I think 7-9 CGs out of 42 CGs or something) to make it work.

In the end the game wasn't "unfinished", nor was it a small project.
It was way too ambitious and we've been far to inexperienced at the time.
We just put too much work and effort into things that had not been noticed by most people...
I'd say, it's the "classical" mistake inexperienced dev-teams do.
(too high ambitions, not enough experience...)
But at least we saw it through til the end, and we learned a lot from our mistakes.

Back then we decided to sell Paperheads, since it was "done" (aside from the missing CGs that we had to take out, it included everything we planned), and we couldn't fix the problems it had due to our inexperience.
In fact, we considered to drop the project entirely first, since we had not been able to fix it by ourselves.
But thanks to some other devs (mainly Kyrieru) who helped optimize the game a bit further, we've been able to get it to run on most computers.
So we decided to sell it.

If we'd do a new Paperheads game today, it would certainly be better in EVERY possible way.
Sure, it wouldn't include 10 animations per enemy.
Especially because people didn't notice that in Paperheads anyway...
But having 1-2 animations for ~15 different enemies works too, right?
(this is just an example, we have nothing planned yet)

Back then we've not been "ready" for a game like that.
But today we are.

thswherizat

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

Wolfenstahl has a vote up on their blog to determine what project they should be working on. The options are

1: More LDH
2: Deathblight Apocalypse (the 'bigger' game we've seen some hints of over time)
3: Paperheads 2
4: A new RPGmaker game
5: Something totally different

Personally, I want to see deathblight apocalypse. I like the action platformers more, and I thought that Geisterhand had some real promise before it was cancelled.

I like LDH as well, but I feel like the format is very limited without a large overhaul to add sprite sex or something like that. I'd rather leave that (for now at least) as a cool test game, and move on. You also note that you don't think it was recieved that well, and I still don't think that's true. People will be nitpicky about anything, but that doesn't mean it wasn't liked.

nintendochamp

Demon Girl
Reputation score

I'm interested in that vote. It will tell me what I need to work on next for the scenes. o.o

Rayearth

Lurker
Reputation score

On a side note, I was playing Unholy Jail and while doing so, recalled that Paperheads also had the "upon 0 HP, get captured and stuffed in a room" mechanic. Maybe you managed to influence hatahata with regard to that game feature? Anyway, its a fun mechanic so I'm just glad more action games are using it.

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

On a side note, I was playing Unholy Jail and while doing so, recalled that Paperheads also had the "upon 0 HP, get captured and stuffed in a room" mechanic. Maybe you managed to influence hatahata with regard to that game feature? Anyway, its a fun mechanic so I'm just glad more action games are using it.
the new vosmug game has it too

archer99

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Hmm, I just downloaded the game.

And, I think it's not working properly, all that I can see when I click new game is a screen with a grey corridor, any reasons?

Minuit

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

Hmm, I just downloaded the game.

And, I think it's not working properly, all that I can see when I click new game is a screen with a grey corridor, any reasons?
There's other icons below the "grey corridor" one, they're just hard to see :D

Click them to go to the differents maps.

archer99

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

There's other icons below the "grey corridor" one, they're just hard to see :D

Click them to go to the differents maps.
I have that girls face and then 4 ladders, I clicked every single one of those icons, and all of them ended up with that grey screen, idk what I'm doing wrong.

ijama

Demon Girl
Reputation score

I have that girls face and then 4 ladders, I clicked every single one of those icons, and all of them ended up with that grey screen, idk what I'm doing wrong.
Got the same issue man, its just gray and then i walk around as a white orb through black paths. But no sprites, nothing to shoot (or will shoot). Idk what i did >.<

OP
Wolfenstahl

Wolfenstahl

Demon Girl
Reputation score

I have no idea what's causing this.
My guess would be that your graphic card either has not enough power or in case you have a notebook it runs the game on your onboard graphic card?
(the dynamic lighting puts a lot of stress on the graphics)
At any rate, it sounds like a hardware issue.

I can't give you directions on how to fix this since every machine is different.
But you should try to check if your system runs the game on the apropriate graphic card.
(no onboard graphic card! the game should be too much for most older onboard graphic card models and even cause some issues on newer onboard graphic cards)

If you have Nvidia or Radeon they might have a control panel where you can set that the game should use the graphics card, if it doesn't do so already. Other than that, I have no idea what could cause this, as there are way too many different computers out there to make sure it runs everywhere. I tested the game on several windows OSes, XP, Win 7 and Win 8, as well as older computers and new ones, never had any trouble so far, except in one case where the machine used an onboard graphic card for whatever reason... but I fixed this by selecting the dedicated graphics card in the control panel.

I hope this helps!

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I have no idea what's causing this.
My guess would be that your graphic card either has not enough power or in case you have a notebook it runs the game on your onboard graphic card?
(the dynamic lighting puts a lot of stress on the graphics)
At any rate, it sounds like a hardware issue.

I can't give you directions on how to fix this since every machine is different.
But you should try to check if your system runs the game on the apropriate graphic card.
(no onboard graphic card! the game should be too much for most older onboard graphic card models and even cause some issues on newer onboard graphic cards)

If you have Nvidia or Radeon they might have a control panel where you can set that the game should use the graphics card, if it doesn't do so already. Other than that, I have no idea what could cause this, as there are way too many different computers out there to make sure it runs everywhere. I tested the game on several windows OSes, XP, Win 7 and Win 8, as well as older computers and new ones, never had any trouble so far, except in one case where the machine used an onboard graphic card for whatever reason... but I fixed this by selecting the dedicated graphics card in the control panel.

I hope this helps!
mine just has the usual windows 8 problems with wasd and mouse the touchpad cant seem to register movement when im clicking...it happens with all game maker games though

PM21

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Really digging the game and the potential it has. Obviously it's a tester so I won't go on about what could still be added gameplay-wise, but I like what I see so far. for a tester, there is quite a bit of detail on display, here. The side portraits during gameplay are great and what's more, there are what, 3 different poses that change according to what creature is grappling?

I'm normally not about having to lose to see the game over scenes, especially if that is the attraction for the game, but I have a hard time complaining because they are done very well for what there is so far. Do you have any plans to balance out loss and win rewards? Otherwise, I don't see much of an incentive to try to win other than advance until there are new creatures to lose to. Of course, losing constantly would be fine if I'm able to continue right where I left off.

Regardless, I'm a fan of the artstyle and I really hope to see the images get colored at some point, something I'll gladly contribute towards. I wasn't such a fan of Paperheads but there appears to be quite an improvement since then, art wise. Curious to see how Deathblight Apocalypse turns out.

urielmanx7

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Has anyone told you yet there's a rpg h game already called "The last Demon Hunter"? You can check it out at the TF site, it's been around for quite a while, just saying so you aren't giving or getting unaware advertisement. In fact, when I clicked on the thread I thought it was that, then I saw you made the topic.

OP
Wolfenstahl

Wolfenstahl

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Regardless, I'm a fan of the artstyle and I really hope to see the images get colored at some point, something I'll gladly contribute towards. I wasn't such a fan of Paperheads but there appears to be quite an improvement since then, art wise. Curious to see how Deathblight Apocalypse turns out.
Crescentia has come quite the way art-quality-wise, yes.
I'm glad you like it!

To be honest, LDH will probably only get one last remaining patch, since the poll on the blog (and the one on Patreon too) clearly states that people want to see our other games being made.
The patch will add music and sound to the game, maybe some more stuff.
But sadly no colouring or high quality artworks.
(we would need a lot of support to make this happen)
So LDH will stay the "test game" it is, just with slightly more content.

Most likely we'll continue on with Deathblight Apocalypse as soon as possible.

Has anyone told you yet there's a rpg h game already called "The last Demon Hunter"? You can check it out at the TF site, it's been around for quite a while, just saying so you aren't giving or getting unaware advertisement. In fact, when I clicked on the thread I thought it was that, then I saw you made the topic.
Whooops!
Thanks for telling me about it.
To be honest, I usually do check for similar names before naming a game.
But this time I totally forgot about doing that, since it started out as an "internal" test game (which I just distributed to team members), I just slapped some "random" name on it, and then at one point the game went public without the initial intention of making it a public test game...

So... that explains how this could happen.
At least there's a slight name difference... ("The Last Demonhunter" and "Last Demon Hunter") but still confusing.
(well, I guess it's too late now, it already happened...)

Thank you very much for telling me about it!

thswherizat

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

So is there still that one (ghost?) enemy being added to the game?

OP
Wolfenstahl

Wolfenstahl

Demon Girl
Reputation score

The Ghost-Demon is already implemented into the current Patreon version.
It will be made public in the upcoming days!

LucaDiGreg

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

The (hopefully not) last version of The Last Demon Hunter has been released.
wolfenstahl.blogspot.it/2016/01/final-version-of-ldh-on-patreon.html

I don't know whether non-patrons are supposed to get it or not but I have not found the link as of now, will update in case I find it.