What's new

Yet another Pathfinder game: Spirit Binding edition

Hentaispider

Lord of the Tap Dance \oO.Oo/ (And Reputation Mana
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score
Preface: Since the original focus of developing the setting was to get away from normal casting rules, spellcasters with access to spells of 6th level or higher will not be allowed(with a couple possible exceptions depending on where the game is set). Instead of vancian casting, the primary magical systems in play will be (including both the Occultist and spirit binding archetypes for other classes) and alchemy. Casting classes with archetypes that replace their spells with either of those systems will be allowed if applicable. Path of War systems are also allowed. While psionics are not a big part of the setting, psionic characters other than full manifesters may be allowed on a case to case basis. Other 3rd party content may be allowed on a case by case basis, though it certainly shouldn't be expected.

Other than the rather radical change in magic as detailed above, expect plenty of other houserules.

For a short description of the setting, see here:

Now, the first order of business: Which faction would people prefer to play as?

Norse: "For a man to be called Berserker, they must slay a troll in single combat: to wear the bearpelt coat otherwise is to court the wrath of gods."

The Drow(or possibly their slaves): "A man raises in station only through his own actions: remember that when you turn your back to an ambitious underling."

The Empire: "The drow may send their slavehordes against us until the walls of our fortresses fall to dust: 'Til our discipline falters, we shall build them again."

The Church: "A Paladin without his faith is just a soldier. A Paladin with his faith is what monsters fear."

The Lizardmen: "Before the yuan-ti came, our altars were covered with flowers and fruits. Now they are covered in the blood and agony of the yuan-ti. The gods seem satisfied."

The Yuan-Ti: "The lizardmen used to be so weak and human-like. Our war has made them into worthy opponents, almost vicious enough to be called our cousins."

The Dwarves under the Wall: "Who cares what the humans think, I saw an adamantine vein down there! Demons? What about them?"

The hordes beyong the wall: "RAAAAAAAAH!"

The Druids of the great forest: "The empire may not be our enemy this winter, but our people wont be safe as long as they court our borders."

Last edited:

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Yet another Pathfinder game: Spirit Binding edition

Sounds interesting, on a few levels. I've had the concept for a lizard archer for ages now, so depending on how and when we play, I may sign up, so either the lizard kingdom would be my vote, or I'd simply play a mercenary or wanderer, if that was allowed.

OP
Hentaispider

Hentaispider

Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

Sounds interesting, on a few levels. I've had the concept for a lizard archer for ages now, so depending on how and when we play, I may sign up, so either the lizard kingdom would be my vote, or I'd simply play a mercenary or wanderer, if that was allowed.
Good point. I should add that not all the characters have to be from the faction in question, but it does determine what area the adventures will be taking place in, unless all the players want to be, say, lizardmen wandering around in the norse lands.

Zilrax

Master of Kinky Fetishes. Or just Bitch if you pre
Reputation score

I'm happy with yuan-ti or lizard people really. Dem reptiles and such.

OP
Hentaispider

Hentaispider

Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

So, to get things moving and so everyone wanting to play will actually post in the thread... would people prefer IRC or PbP or possibly even virtual tabletop(which I might need someone to help me with, but which could potentially enable some cool stuff, provided I can figure out how to make it work and get an excuse to actually do it)? Also, post times available so I can figure where to stick the session.

Since people seem to want to play lizardmen(or possibly yuan-ti), the game will be set in the jungle. Next question: Where? Either a border village near/at the warzone where most of the fighting happens, defending the village, a village deeper in friendly area with the same deal but less focus on battles and more on small scale skirnishes, dealing with the enemy guerrilla forces and doing stuff like securing supplies and guarding supply lines(such as they are, cuz jungle) going to the front lines, or even a guerrilla force deep in the enemy jungle(I take no responsibility for any deaths in this case, though you'll also start sturdier and better equipped). Also, you could be either close to the desert or deeper in the jungle. Finally, you can either be enlisted soldiers serving the warmachine, temple guards serving the clergy and the gods' constant demands for more yuan-ti sacrifices, or merely well-armed civilians who may be pressganged to whatever needs to be done the most at the moment, but otherwise have the most freedom.

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Force MAF to teach you the basics of maptools, it already has modules for Pathfinder and you can get tons of tokens and stuff that would work with it without having to do any actual work yourself.

I would vote temple guard at the border, collecting yuan-ti slaves to sacrifice to the CHAOS GODZ. Or whatever it is that lizard people worship. Probably bigger lizards or something.

Zilrax

Reputation score

Guess I shall not have my hydras, alas. Otherwise I'm fine with temple border guard stuff.

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

temple-y stuff actually works with what I have for a backstory so far, I think, seems like a decent way to go, though I'm not sure how much long-term plot that may give us, without something to throw us way out there. XD

As for times, I'm probably the hardest to fit, so sort everyone else out without regard to me, if I can't make it, oh well.

Caulder

Is completely fucking irrelevant. And he's a bitch
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I'm fine with whatever time and method. As for temple-guard, I vote yes.

Oops, never posted my interest back when the thread was made. So consider this also my interest shown, and willing to make a character for it.

Dragontear

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Already interested, have spoken with the Spider about a previously feral Temple-Guard Lizardfolk that is a Half-Golem, big beastie bulwark that's quiet, placid and very sharp, with a thing for hugs.

Either defending villages or border duties, happy for Temple Guard stuff. Strong preference for phb forum, as time-zones/attention span would make it very difficult to keep up in irc. Also, not familiar with the system/rules, and lastly numbers are not my thing, moderate likelihood (not officially confirmed, not pulling anybody's legs) of Dyspraxia so yeah... patience will be appreciated.

Last edited:
OP
Hentaispider

Hentaispider

Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

So apparently the overwhelming majority vote is on PbP by the virtue of no-one except Caulder giving me any sort of availability information. And it would appear that no-one is asking for anything but Temple guardians near the border, so that's the setup.

For preliminary character creation, level 6, 25-point buy, everyone gets minimum of 4+int skill points per level, for HP everyone gets max at first level and average rounded up every level after that. We'll be using and variant rules. Race is pretty much limited to and classes are limited to Paizo, Dreamscarred Press and Radiance house, with 6th level or higher spellcasting(or manifesting) prohibited (other 3rd party can be considered on a case by case basis). Everyone starts with 20 000 GP worth of equipment. Steel fares rather poorly in the jungle, due to moisture and heat, so steel working is uncommon. Most metal items will be instead made from bronze(same price as steel) or, for those who can afford it, mithril-bronze. Mithril bronze has properties similar to steel, but is virtually immune to corrosion and acids and costs an extra 1 GP per pound. As well, mithril is more common and the extra cost for items made of mithril is halved.

There will likely be other house rules(like the ones for shields and crossbows here), but those should be enough to get the characters mostly made. A thread for character sheets and houserules will be made later.

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

For times, I should be able to handle most days after 12 PM EST. That's 12 noon. I wouldn't want to start too much after that, and might be late before that because sleep, and this may be subject to change depending on how the next few days go. It is likely that weekends at least will not be an option for me.

Edit: I haz

Waiting on the finished fluff to really work on those parts, and am considering taking because gotta farm those sacrifices.

Last edited:

dragoon93041

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I bring to you... LIZARDKNIFE

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

And here we go with mine, yay!

Zilrax

Reputation score

Well, everyone else is posting them here, so, tadah.

Caulder

Is completely fucking irrelevant. And he's a bitch
RP Moderator
Reputation score

And here's mine, Ezra the Ember-Claw